Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 997 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 67  Next
 Post subject: Re: Joyride with the Bateleurs
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:11 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

More beautiful birds!

26 - 28 April Pretoriuskop (First Time Visit)
29-30 April Olifants
1-2 May Mopani
3-4 May Orpen
5-6 May Lower Sabie

Trip Report Photographs and Memories Kruger June 2013

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:48 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:gflower: Magnificent as ever. Great pics of all Animals and Birds. :w: :great:

Extinction is forever and survival is up to---every last one of us!

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:42 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year & Sighting of the Year - Small Creatures and Insects (2013)
Pumbaa, WOW what an episode with some brilliant :cam:

Just love the Saddle-billed stork, Secretary bird and Ostrich pics and poses. :popcorn: stuff

The ellie, impies and waterbuck and then not to forget about the 'pumbaa-family' just beautifully captured. :dance:

Thank you for sharing this bumper episode with great images. :clap:

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:04 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Pumbaa

Another stunning episode. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Gorgeous :cam: of the secretary Bird :thumbs_up:

Just love those Impies :dance: :dance: ..and Warties too cute, those little bums. :clap:

:popcorn:

Kruger May/June 2014
Mokala June 2014

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:14 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Pumbaa, lovely bird sightings, love the secretary bird, also the impies are so beautiful, waterbuck and warthogs too. Thanks for sharing :gflower:

KNP 2- 16 May 2014

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:14 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Wonderful Savannah bird shots .... all of them. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: I once saw a Secretary bird kill a snake and they have held a fascination for me ever since.

Lovely :cam: 8)

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:22 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
Wonderful photographs of the herd of impalas

Tamboti 30 December 2014
Berg en Dal 31 December 204 - 03 January 2015

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:21 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Birds (2012)
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Amazing images and sightings!!!!!Just love you report!!

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:26 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

great sightings of the saddle-billed storks and the secretary birds, Pumbaa :clap: :clap:

The impala with the tiny horns is adorable :thumbs_up:

TR KNP 2013 Gatita's KNP - will we visit a green park again? March 2013

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:14 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Cammer of the Year (2013)
Award: Cammer of the Year (2012)
Hi Pumbaa :D :D

Even though the secretary birds made it hard for you, the photos you ended up with are just fantastic :cam: :cam:
Dad and I only saw one in the 2 weeks we spent in Kruger, so a very lucky sighting indeed :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks so much for sharing and looking forward to finding out about the naughty ones? :hmz: :popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:42 pm 

Super Mongoose wrote:
Hey Pumbaa!

What a stunning stunning stunning bird day you've had! With awesome pictures of all the birds!!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Love the cute little pumbaas, they're still very small!

Like your Ellie, I've got nice closeups of him too near Satara!

Each day in Kruger is indeed a special day for birdies and little pumbaas are always so fast and difficult to capture :dance:

anne-marie wrote:
again nice serie of birds :clap:
I specialy love the Ostriches :dance:
and the Secretary :dance:
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Ostriches and secretary birds are for me always the typical African birds :thumbs_up:

hilda wrote:
Another wonderful full day in the Park with lots of stunning sightings Pumbaa and Timon! Awesome pictures of quite a variety of birds on your way! :clap: :clap:

Stunning pictures of the beautiful Impies too, and the Warties! :dance: :dance:

Waterbuck and Ostriches also superbly captured! :clap: :clap:

The general game was plentiful around Satara this year :dance: but we had also other years where it was far more quiet 8)

Cape of Storms wrote:
More beautiful birds!

Hopefully you are not getting bored in seeing more of them :thumbs_up:

Philip1 wrote:
:gflower: Magnificent as ever. Great pics of all Animals and Birds. :w: :great:

Thanks Philip - and there is more to come :dance:

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:47 pm 

Kaapsedraai wrote:
Pumbaa, WOW what an episode with some brilliant :cam:

Just love the Saddle-billed stork, Secretary bird and Ostrich pics and poses. :popcorn: stuff

The ellie, impies and waterbuck and then not to forget about the 'pumbaa-family' just beautifully captured. :dance:

Thank you for sharing this bumper episode with great images. :clap:

We had a great stay around Satara but also the rest days in the North were brilliant :dance:

Trrp-trrrrrrrr wrote:
Pumbaa

Another stunning episode. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Gorgeous :cam: of the secretary Bird :thumbs_up:

Just love those Impies :dance: :dance: ..and Warties too cute, those little bums. :clap:

Love also their little bums but there were indeed not willing to turn around :?

Carol g wrote:
Pumbaa, lovely bird sightings, love the secretary bird, also the impies are so beautiful, waterbuck and warthogs too. Thanks for sharing :gflower:

We never can get enough of the Impalas and do always stop for them :P

Meandering Mouse wrote:
Wonderful Savannah bird shots .... all of them. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: I once saw a Secretary bird kill a snake and they have held a fascination for me ever since.

Lovely :cam: 8)

A pity was that they did not catch something but that would have amazed me too - Very special birds indeed :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:53 pm 

tent dweller wrote:
Wonderful photographs of the herd of impalas

Impies are always so cute :thumbs_up:

Jan van Wyk wrote:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Amazing images and sightings!!!!!Just love you report!!

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Keep the :popcorn: ready more will come soon :thumbs_up:

gatita wrote:
great sightings of the saddle-billed storks and the secretary birds, Pumbaa :clap: :clap:

The impala with the tiny horns is adorable :thumbs_up:

The tiny horns are adorable but the always grew sooooo fast :?

melph68 wrote:
Hi Pumbaa :D :D

Even though the secretary birds made it hard for you, the photos you ended up with are just fantastic :cam: :cam:
Dad and I only saw one in the 2 weeks we spent in Kruger, so a very lucky sighting indeed :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks so much for sharing and looking forward to finding out about the naughty ones? :hmz: :popcorn:

You are right secretary birds are difficult to find and it is awesome to spot them :clap: The naughty ones were extreme naughty and very choosey :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:02 am 

On that road and on the S145 we did see this year so many koris as never before and they sometimes, especially early in the morning were not willing in clearing the road on which they stood motionless.

Meanwhile it was time to turn around in order not to get back too late and whilst we did so we saw a badly limping giraffe bull making his way slowly through the veld.

Although the sun was good to us that afternoon we could see some strange clouds somewhere far away and it looked as if a heavy rain shower somewhere else in the park came down and also the rainbow which we tried to capture proved that.

Back on the H1-4 not far away from the camp we got stuck in a hyaena clan and although many people do say they look ugly we never could get enough from them and on top they do pose always lovely and are extreme relaxed when cars are around.

This clan – at least the ones who were visible consisted of the babysitter, mom or auntie and two very adventuresome pups inspecting the tires on each car which surrounded them. Our tires had gladly been adjusted as too old from them so they gladly at least for us changed to another car which look brand new and these tires found their acceptance but for sure not the ones of the passengers who owned this car and were chasing the hyaenas permanently away.

Whilst the two gorgeous pups were doing their thing the older one was continuing her beauty sleep and did not care the fuss which was made by the cars and the pups.

The cars were now coming and going as it was nearly gate closing time and each new arrived car were frantically greeted and inspected by the two little ones, whereas mom did impersonate the doggys.

For us these comical poses or the cuteness of the pups are always a diversionary tactic as you never know from where else other hyaenas might come and continue the inspecting of your car or even do have other things in mind.

Nevertheless finally the pups got tired in the tires and cars and whilst one of them was lying down close to the bigger one the other one

flopped down close to our car between the high grass and was simply too cute for words.

Whilst Timon was busy in capturing this gorgeous face I permanently looked out for some other hyaenas not that we just walked into one of their traps but in fact we had luck and no ambush out of nowhere took place.

Finally we had to leave and back in camp Timon lit already the braai and decided to do a round (running) through the camp. I was still busy inside the bungalow before my magic half an hour on the verandah could start and realized that our car was still open so I grabbed the key and went outside to close same but got another fright as suddenly an African wild cat walked by as if it was the normal thing of the world! WoW – My very first wild cat and same looked as if someone brought its pet and I had the car key in my hand but no camera! So I rushed back inside threw the car key onto the bed, grabbed the camera but needless to say that the wild cat meanwhile disappeared. I waited still a bit but same did not return but Timon returned and said “Oh, you did see her as well”. So although we could not get a picture of the wild cat we both at least had saw one.

During the braai we talked about the thrilling day we had and once again Satara did deliver again. At that stage we did not know that the next day will develop into one of the best we had during this trip......

Monday, 18th February, 2013 – Satara

Normally our second day in Satara is always the day which we spent on the Mananga Trail but due to the this year’s flood same was still closed and so we had to spent the day on Satara’s roads which was obviously Destiny......

This morning we decided to drive the S90 as yesterday’s sightings had overwhelmed us and we were hungry for more....but before we even reached the turn of we once again got stuck on the H1-4 as our hyaenas from yesterday were still hanging around.

At first sight the little pups were nowhere to be seen but with the approaching cars same popped out of the den and said “hy” as well.

We did not stay that long and only a couple of meters further down we saw a shadow running from left to right – An African wild cat just crossed the road in front of us and disappeared in the high grass close to where we parked. We both only looked at each other and thought the same “once again no picture!” but the little kitty was nice to us this morning and finally stopped, sat down and started the grooming.

Gladly also Timon found a suitable spot from where our feline friend was reasonable visible and started to fire away

although the high grass was once again a challenge but finally we got a picture of this little cutie.

As there were more cars behind us and from our spot was the only possibility to watch the wild cat we showed them where to look exactly and what for and continued our way only to stop again shortly close to the turn off as we discovered a couple of amur falcons.

Although the light was still bad and the sun was only about to come up and the sighting was also a bit far away we finally managed to get some nice shots of these fluffy cuties

and after only half an hour on the road I was already in such a good mood that everything which came across was a cutie today and believe me I am definitely no morning person.

Time to finally turn into the S90 but we did not come far as we already saw from far a large elephant herd coming closer and we managed to reach them in time so that they could cross the street behind us and we gladly had no road block in front of us

but our concerns were unjustified as all of them were extreme relaxed and calm so we stayed a bit longer and waited also for the very last one, as on top we still had to drank our coffee as same was hot enough.

I especially love in this picture how the birdies orbited the little ellie.

Can it get better?.........

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:44 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
African Wildcat :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: I have never seen African Wildcat in Kruger. Lovely :cam: Pumbaa.

I do agree, those Hyena are cute. They do tend to grow on you. Amazing what those young jaws are already capable of though.

Lovely :thumbs_up:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 997 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 67  Next