Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 997 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 67  Next
 Post subject: Re: Joyride with the Bateleurs
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:23 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Meandering Mouse wrote:
sigh

another wonderful episode bringing Kruger to life. :thumbs_up:

Thank you.

:popcorn:

I am already dreaming from our next trip :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:24 pm 

Heksie wrote:
Beautiful kiekies of Shibotwana :clap:
How peaceful it looks at Nkaya pan :D could have a coffee and relax there anyday :thumbs_up:
You got to have a cheetah sighting :dance: sorry that you didn't see al 5 of them but at least 2 :D I say on e is better than none :tongue:
Love the kiekie of the black crake :clap:

Nkaya pan was impressive and so peaceful and it was on top a lot to be seen :dance: :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:26 pm 

gatita wrote:
great pics of the waterbucks, Pumbaa. :clap: :clap:

I think they are so beautiful with their "long hair".

fantastic sighting of the cheetahs. :thumbs_up: Could this be the same ones we saw between Nkaya pan and Sweni? We saw only four though.

That tusker seems to be very relaxed.

I always think they are dressed for our long winter here :thumbs_up: I am pretty sure that these were the same cheetahs :P

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:28 pm 

Kaapsedraai wrote:
Just amazing birdies, Pumbaa :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Beautiful sighting of the ellie and will definitely look out for some of these tuckers next time. :cam:
Hippos and waterbuck always attract the attention which are worthy of capturing the moments.

The Cheetah is an amazing sighting. The camera focus is always a challenge even if one tries to switch to manual to get better subject focus. You got some great shots here and thank you for sharing. :clap: :clap: :clap:

At least some usables came out as on top this sighting of the cheetahs was very far away :? I am still dreaming of some close up portraits of them :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:29 pm 

Super Mongoose wrote:
Hey Pumba, another great episode!

Super pics of the Carmine and Grey-hornbill! Also excellent shot of the your "special" big Ellie, Four years in a row, awesome!

Yes we were indeed surprirsed to see Shibotwana once again :thumbs_up: Already curious were we will met him next year :dance:

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:30 pm 

Trrp-trrrrrrrr wrote:
Pumbaa

Another great episode...how special to have seen Shibotwana 4 years in a row. :clap: :clap:

Gorgeous pic of the all :thumbs_up:

Francolins ...just remind me of Kruger. :mrgreen:

Love the :cam: of the Cheetah peeping through the grass. :clap: :clap:

The cheetahs were indeed a bit tricky to photograph :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:31 pm 

barryels wrote:
Beautiful day with special sightings Pumbaa :clap: :clap: .

The birdie pic's are awesome :dance: :dance: .

Long grass or not, it is a great cheetah sighting :thumbs_up: .

There are more beautiful days still to come and we even took more pictures :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:39 pm 

melph68 wrote:
Hi Pumbaa :D :D

Those carmine bee-eaters are absolutely gorgeous :cam:

And how fantastic to see your old acquaintance Shibotwana again :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

But the biggest WOW for me is your cheetah sighting :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Blurry photos or not - at least you saw them! :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

I wonder who the mystery dinner guest is??? :popcorn: :popcorn:

Sorry but the mystery dinner guest is a bit delayed and will only appear in the episode after the one I am about to post :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:41 pm 

We indeed do not have something against dense vegetation in contrary it is always great to watch around and see only green but at such sightings I sometimes wish that the grass was a bit shorter as exactly in that area the grass was high as the cheetah itself but cheetahs are cheetahs.

Originally we thought that they might come closer but the contrary was fact as they started to move into the other direction and from time to time we could even realize dimly two other cheetahs close to the one which was reasonably visible.

Whilst I was looking through the binoculars I always explained and pointed to Timon were to focus and so within only a couple of minutes – exactly five as this was how long this sighting lasted – Timon tried to photograph as much as possible not knowing due to the distance as besides the high grass the distance where the cheetahs were sitting was incredibly far if even a couple of pictures might come out usable

but as you see the yield was not that bad although the sighting was for our liking far too short but as it was meanwhile nearly 2 o’clock we originally thought we might not see much at that time of the day and although we stayed a bit longer until also the last spot was invisible the cheetahs disappeared now completely.

Already quite impressed by the sightings we had that day we were still extreme curious what might the next days bring as the area around Satara is indeed a good terrain for everything. This year we were rewarded with bungalow G178 which is the second last from the back and soon I started to remember KDU told me once in a post that between the bungalows in that area a wild cat could be seen so I was a bit excited that maybe we will also have the luck in seeing same during one of the next days but before we even could move in I made Timon aware of a cute fluffy sleeping beauty close to a dust bin

which was indeed not a nice sleeping place for the little scopsie as the branch on which same was sleeping was nearly on eye level for everybody and consequently soon a crowd had build up and I was certain that the scops owl will chose tomorrow another sleeping place with a bit more privacy!

The location of our new home was stunning and although a bit farer away from the fence than in the beginning of the G circle you still had a view into the green with the large and beautiful trees and the birdies all around out of which the noisy woodland kingfisher - one started to trrrp-trrrrrrr and then even a chorus answered with trrrp-trrrrrrrr – needless to say that I miss this call desperately. We did feel very well as we normally always do when staying in Satara although on a Saturday nearly each bungalow in the G circle was occupied.

For our afternoon drive we decided to drive down the S100, however, the last years also after a good and wet rainy January / February we could not trace that much animal activity in the beginning of that road until Shibotwana and so we did not expect that much and we were not wrong again. We had to drive quite a few kilometres into that road until the first herd of elephants, wildebeests and impalas came across.

Later on also warthogs and waterbucks joined in

and on top due to the cloudy weather and the late hour already the light changed permanently from nearly dark – when a cloud was hiding the sun – and golden so the photography was a bit tricky that afternoon.

On top of a tree a group of grey louries was plotting something and eyed into our car already suspiciously.

The wind blew strongly from the back and the noisy bird presented us a fancy stormhairdress

at least we had now a good laugh whilst downloading the pictures later that evening.

to be continued with the promised dinner guest.......

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:45 pm 

Sorry to interrupt this trip report, however, we will be on holidays as from tomorrow onwards for two weeks in Denmark - Will be back beginning of September and then I even can start to count down the days until our next visit to Kruger again. :dance: :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:29 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
right a Cheetah is a Cheetah... even could be two Cheetahs :mrgreen: :hmz: :dance: :dance: :dance: :clap:

superb serie of birds... again :dance: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:28 pm 

Great to see the big cats and carrying spots they are even more beautiful. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:44 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
What an awesome Cheetah sighting Pumbaa and Timon - beautiful images in the high grass and yellow flowers! :clap: :clap:

I love the Scopsie so close to your bungalow! I wonder if it is the same one that used to sleep in the tree close to the shop area? Beautifully captured! :dance: :dance:

Another wonderful afternoon drive with all the mammals and the wind-blown Grey Louries! :clap: :clap:

Enjoy your holiday in Denmark! :bcool:

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:38 am 

FAC Member (2013)
Pumbaa,

Lovely pics of the Cheetah. :clap: :clap:

Scopie :cam: are stunning. :thumbs_up:

Sorry about the noisy "family members" of mine. :wink: ..but they also love their summer's in Kruger. :tongue: :dance:

Have a wonderful holiday in Denmark. 8)

Kruger May/June 2014
Mokala June 2014

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:56 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Cheetah :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: what a delightful sighting. So pleased to see the joyride back again. :wink:

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 997 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 67  Next