Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 997 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 67  Next
 Post subject: Re: Joyride with the Bateleurs
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:22 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

anne-marie wrote:
a lot of Rhinos :dance: doing sand's castles :lol:
magnificent Verreaux's Eagle Owl :dance: :clap:
and also magnificent Goliath Heron at the weir :clap:

That goliath was huge amd great there was not grass in the way :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:23 am 

Kaapsedraai wrote:
I am catching up on your excellent TR, Pumbaa. :thumbs_up:

You and Timon got some great sightings!
Poor baboon with wound and the smiling hyena.

Magnificent rhino sightings. The one rhino, I guess the one with flap ear got a nice long straight horn...wow.
The eagle owl is also a great one as well as the lions.

Great TR..and :cam: :thumbs_up:

Thanks so much Kaapsedraai - That horn on the rhino is enormous - Hopefully they will have a life in peace :?

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:25 am 

melph68 wrote:
Hi Pumbaa :D :D

That was quite a roadblock you encountered :shock: 8)
Luckily your car didn't get in the middle of any disagreements between the males!

Amazing how 3 lions can be virtually invisible even when so close to the road.
At least one sat up to show herself and reward your patience :thumbs_up:

But now revenge?? I am intrigued :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

I better not wanted to know how many leopards, lions etc. we have missed due to the dense vegetation :wall:

The revenge is now coming soon :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:27 am 

Trrp-trrrrrrrr wrote:
Pumbaa,

Awesome pics of the Rhino ..even with the movement of vehicles they all seemed so chilled. :clap: :clap:
Stunning pic of the one in the riverbed with the sand while getting up. :mrgreen:

Owl :cam: is beautiful. :thumbs_up:

Even with the long grass the Lion made an appearance and you could get some pics..great. 8)

:popcorn: :popcorn:

At least the group of rhinos on the road was more than relaxed besides the battle of the males :wink:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:31 am 

Pity was that we could not leave the car and push the grass behind as then we would have had the perfect view – So close but then so far away!

Nevertheless we were so happy to once again find some cats although taking pictures through the high grass was indeed complicated.

A lot of cars and even a couple of JJ’s joined us and stayed a bit but as it was indeed hard to identify at least an ear and so they did not stay that long.

One of the lionesses had a strange posture and looked the whole time we could spot her a bit weird.

All in all we stayed with them two hours but as there was no sign that they were about to leave their cosy place we decided to return first back to camp for a short break as also Nature was now calling heavily.

Whilst waiting for each other Timon spotted a stick insect in the planting close to the reception area and I asked him “how could you spot same?”, he then answered that “an employee just had left the “Men” with same on a piece of paper.....otherwise I would also not have noticed same” – I am always fascinated how funny creatures do have their place on Earth to keep same in balance.

On our short way back to the car we even found this moth on the ground – Same was still alive but simply needed obviously only a short break.

As it was still far too early to stay for the rest of the morning in camp we decided to drive around the “magical square” which is my nick name for the drive around the H 4-1/H12/H1-2 and back to camp and if still a bit time left to pay another small visit at Lake Panic but it went out totally different as planned.......

Right in the beginning we spotted a huge spiderweb close to the road and admired an eight-legged beauty with her harem.

Whilst coming closer to the high water bridge we already spotted from far an enormous traffic jam directly on the bridge and we enqueued patiently at it’s end still a bit puzzled at what all the people in the cars were looking at as the only thing we saw was a gigantic crocodile with a stick in its yaw. Well, originally it was a stick but on top it just had caught a water monitor!

I cannot remember on our meanwhile numerous visits to South Africa having ever seen a kill where the caught animal was still alive and I also was not that sad about it as I definitely could not imagine how I would fell seeing a creature fighting for its life although knowing that same is Nature.

We arrived at the time where the crocodile only had caught the monitor a couple of minutes before and was about to move farer away now from the bridge with its prey although via binoculars and without any disturbing bushes or grass the whole spectacle was for everybody in their cars best visible although some comedians stayed under the impression that this was also a “get out of the car bridge”......gladly the people in the cars close by told them to return immediately back to their car which they finally did.

In the beginning we only saw the head of the monitor but now the crocodile whilst still moving further away allowed some views onto the body of the monitor and same must have been also an enormous specimen – Indeed not a way I wanted to see one of my favourite animals (I am fascinated by all kind of reptiles especially by monitors) but consequently also more than impressed by crocodiles.

I think it was simply the revenge for stealing earlier in life a lot of crocodile eggs and then the monitor was at the wrong time at the wrong place whilst the crocodile was the lucky one that day.

Needless to say that the monitor had no chance whilst the crocodile did not release a single millimetre the tight grip of its jaw.

This fascinating spectacle lasted nearly half an hour until the monitor finally lost its death struggle which for me indeed was cruel to watch.

Whilst the crocodile was still busy in finally feeding on the monitor we left with mixed emotions between sadness and fascination.

Originally we wanted to drive back via the Marula loop but as guessed already same was also closed due to the recent floods but gladly the causeway had been repaired after the last year’s floods and so we decided to stay there and wait what might come across whilst standing there but before we made ourselves comfortable on same we had to stop for two nyala females which are at least a rare sighting for us that South in the park.

At that time of the day gladly for us it was not much traffic so we simply parked in one of these bulges on the bridge over the Sand river so that at least the people who are about to hurry to Skukuza can pass easily. Finally we found the pied kingfisher who is always roaming around Lake Panic but today we had luck and even got to see two of them – both females.

One of the two ladies just caught a fish but somehow was not that hungry and so she hold the fish permanently in her bill

the other one was still on the look out for some fish but also that attempt looked a bit unenthusiastic

to be continued.......

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:28 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Wow Pumbaa and Timon! What a terrific sighting of the Crocodile and poor Water Monitor! I can understand your mixed feelings, because I would have felt the same! Beautiful series of pictures too! :clap: :clap:

The nyala was another awesome sighting! One does not see them often! :dance: :dance:

Stunning pictures of the Kingfishers, and they don't seem hungry at all! :D

Thank you for another excellent episode! :gflower:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:54 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
poor Monitor :(
but nice pictures :clap:
I love too the Kingfisher... with eyes bigger than the stomac :clap: :lol:
and the "phasme" of course :clap:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:20 pm 

Pumbaa,
Very nice episode. What a special moment to see the Crocodile catching the water monitor. Not nice for this animal to feel a few hundred teeth biting you. Very well captured :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:03 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year & Sighting of the Year - Small Creatures and Insects (2013)
Pumbaa, I share your sentiments with the grass in the way to get a great shot.... :hmz: :wall:

Rare sighting of the croc with monitor, great insect and spider :cam: and nyala as well as the Pied with the catch of the day. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

You have captured some great moments and looking forward to more... :popcorn: :cam:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:27 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

what a beautiful moth, Pumbaa.

The poor monitor. Fortunately (or unfortunately?) I have never seen an actual kill.

TR KNP 2013 Gatita's KNP - will we visit a green park again? March 2013

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:09 am 

FAC Member (2013)
Pumbaa,

Those stick insects just blend in so perfectly..their camouflage is truly amazing. :dance:

Wow!!! truly a magnificent sequence of pics of the croc and monitor. :clap: :clap: ..Right place right time and you were rewarded with extra special :cam: of this rare sighting. :thumbs_up:

Beautiful pics of the Pied Kingfisher with the catch of the day. :clap: :clap:

Thanks for sharing. :popcorn:

Kruger May/June 2014
Mokala June 2014

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:48 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Goodness Pumbaa, what a sighting :big_eyes: . It must have been difficult to watch. That is a very big monitor.

As ever, Pumbaa brings the moment to life.

Thank you.

:popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:53 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Pumbaa, great sightings, I can't help but feel soooooo sorry for the water monitor, but that's nature for you, but so lucky to see.
Thanks for sharing your special sightings with us :gflower:

KNP 2- 16 May 2014

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:13 pm 
Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2013)
Yo Pumbaa really enjoyed these past 3 episodes alot and it was a pleasure catching up on your TR :D
Such lekker sightings of the grey beasts-especially the 'unmentionables' great close up kiekies and having been so close to them is just amazing :clap:
I am so envious about your kill!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I am totally mindboggled about the croc munching on the monitor :big_eyes: YOu guys were very lucky to have seen this and I'm so glad that you shared it with us :thumbs_up:
THanks for a superb TR Pumbaa :gflower:

7+8 March cricket @ Skuks

25+26 April Skuks

12 Jul Tambotie
13-15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:57 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Cammer of the Year (2013)
Award: Cammer of the Year (2012)
Hi Pumbaa :D :D

I wonder about the weird posture of that lioness too :hmz:
Did you have a chance to go back and check on her?

But WOW, the sighting of the day was definitely the revenge of the croc on the water monitor!! :shock: :shock:
Incredible scenes but the struggle for life and death is always hard to watch :?

Cute nyala female and fabulous photos of the insects and kingfishers with their lunch :cam:

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 997 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 67  Next