SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 997 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 67  Next
 Post subject: Re: Joyride with the Bateleurs
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:06 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

noel wrote:
A SIGH AND A SHIVER from me Pumbaa- Sigh, because it is so lovely to read your TR on a Saturday morning, while I wait for the washing machine cycle to finish. Beautiful birdies, that velvet monkey is stunning, as is the Rhino with the curved tail (any idea what could have got her excited like that?). Hammerkops are one of the most interesting birds to watch.
Black headed Oriole :thumbs_up:
Shiver, at that humongous Elephant with his flapping ears-just gives me the shivers! And not in a good mood either :big_eyes: Spoil my Saturday morning :tongue:

:popcorn: :popcorn:

No idea why she curled her tail but it was cute to watch - and yes we got to see a lot more hamerkops and after that trip I am a big fan of these birds - Thanks for the compliment in spoiling your Saturday :k

john n poppy wrote:
great selection of bird pics, and we like you spent a lot of time last year at matjulu waterhole just watching and photographing the bee-eaters, with an occassional buffalo thrown in...

john :thumbs_up:

Matjulu waterhole is a lovely place to sit back, enjoy and press the button :dance:

RichardJ wrote:
Enjoying the pics esp. the young monkey :clap: :clap: :clap:

and the narrative as always :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks so much :gflower: Although the monkeys are difficult to photograph as they are always running around but sometimes they do allow some great shots and I simply love to watch their behaviour :P

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:11 pm 

barryels wrote:
Woow!! that was a huge herd of buffs Pumbaa :clap: .
Stunning birdie pic's all around :dance: :dance: .
That little vervet monkey is sooo cute :D .
Thanks for sharing :thumbs_up: .

Thanks so much Barry - The more often we visit the park the more bird mad we do get :thumbs_up:

Bushbuddies wrote:
Oh what beautiful birdies Pumba and Timon spotted - and how beautifully photographed! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Also thanks here :k With each trip the feathered friends become more and more our favourites

Heksie wrote:
Pumbaa I just love all the birdies that you guys saw-the bee eaters, hamerkop (which is my fave) the oriole and the flycatcher. YOu guys take such amazing kiekies of these birdies :clap: :dance:
ANd the rest of those doggie kiekies are bootiful :clap: :clap: :thumbs_up:
Also love to take the Biyamiti weir loop-those rhinos and buffs that you saw are great :thumbs_up:
:popcorn:

The Biyamiti loop is also when same is quiet a stunning drive but hopefully one day we will again be able to cross the road at Biyamiti weir :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:21 pm 

hilda wrote:
Thank you for another awesome episode Pumbaa and Timon! Your pictures are out of this world! :clap: :clap:

Beautiful birds, and those Impies amongst the flowers are just gorgeous! :dance: :dance:

The little Vervet is so adorable! One can just give him a big hug! :D

I love the variety of birds you saw, with such great pictures of them! :clap: :clap:

Thanks :k That is indeed the reason why we visit the park in the summer because of the variety of birdies :dance:

anne catherine wrote:
A beautiful variety of feathered friends,colored or not, there :clap:
I am just curious,because i bought the same lens as Timon;did he took the pics with the TCx2 on the lens?

No, no TCX2 - I guess we only used the converter once at a later sighting of a spotted cat :whistle: - This lens is working perfectly without the converter :thumbs_up:

Elsa wrote:
Your bird pics are all so excellent, nice new ticks as well. :clap:

This was indeed the trip of new ticks and many more are still to follow :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:25 pm 

Aat wrote:
Pumbaa,
Great show of the birds.... time to make your own Kruger Book of Pumbaa Birds :clap: :clap:

:hmz: Well that is indeed a wonderful idea :big_eyes:

Meandering Mouse wrote:
Pumbaa, as ever your bird pictures are just marvelous. :thumbs_up: but your Impies in the flowers added an extra dimension.. the mark of the creative artist, doing the ordinary in an extra ordinary way. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks :gflower: A pity is that too many people simply overlook the ordinary because they are used to it but as you said you can make so much more out of it :dance:

Philip1 wrote:
:D What a Awesome "Joyride with the Bateleurs" :thanx: Pumba and Timon for Stunning pics :thumbs_up:

Welcome :D Later we also saw the raptors out of the title and believe me the buttons were nearly burning :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:36 pm 

Monday, 10. February, 2013 – Berg en Dal – Crocodile Bridge

The only disadvantage today was that we had to leave Berg end Dal camp and that meant for us that from now on the clock will be ticking faster and faster with every minute we will spend inside the park. So after the packing orgy had been done we decided to leave the Matjulu loop with heavy hearts behind and chose to drive roads which we normally do not drive, especially because of lion pins on the S114 which could be found on the sighting board during the previous days.

Well, the whole drive on the tar road until we reached the turn off into the S114 we saw nothing, nada, niete, nil, not even a bird so we were a bit disappointed as we thought with new roads we might broaden our horizons but I guess it was simply too dark and the bush was too thick but not too thick for this large giraffe

and somehow our instinct was not that wrong this morning as the next sighting was already a traffic jam and behind all the cars I could spot a majestic animal -

finally the sighting boards were right and we found the lions, as it were actually two huge brothers. Would that not be nice if this works also for leopards and other animals you are looking for?

We searched for a comfortable area and gladly the two brothers decided to stay in an open area where also in February no annoying grass or thick vegetation is blocking the view and on top there was indeed space for enough cars, as the lions were visible extreme good from nearly each point on the road.

Actually both must have been on the walk but whilst we arrived at that sighting the one lay already down and the other one did not really know what to do, as he looked a bit grumpy to all the vehicles around them.

Both of them had extreme full bellies and had a quite impressive size

although one of them (the more grumpier) had a large abscess on his left elbow which did not look that nice.

Whilst the morning drive vehicle of Sanparks arrived he stared to the vehicle with a “if looks could kill look” he definitely did not like this huge vehicle and as he was about to walk away I already though he might stalk the vehicle

but he decided against this and instead hid himself behind a smaller bush and was now nearly out of sight for nearly each and everyone.

But his big brother was still visible and in the beginning we was still eagerly watching the come and go of the cars close to them, however, as it is with cats the longer this lasts the heavier his eyes got

However, he also never forgot to check the whereabouts of his brother and his brother was still staring at the Sanparks vehicle. The other cars did not bother him at all but this car he hated.

After a couple of minutes also this staring got boring or he simply realized that this monster truck will not come closer and he started the day dream modus.

From time to time now the sun came up from behind and soon this lovely sighting was covered into golden light as long as the clouds did not hide the sun. Who could ask for more: Lions that close, hot, black and strong coffee in one hand, camera on bean bag and with the fingers of the other hand you simply had to press the button and than even the golden hour – Sigh!

Oh and even our beloved birdies where around and a large group of Crowned plovers was foraging close to our car and also allowed a couple of close shots.

to be continued........

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:23 pm 

Very nice sighting with the male lions.
Even if they don't move that much they are impressive ... the kings.
Somehow they look familiar to me...with the marks on their bodies... don't know if they import lions or marked in kruger

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:28 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Two great big bloody brothers...what better way to start a day!

Nice pics

John :thumbs_up:

Back again -Kruger - April 2014

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:29 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
oups... very big tummy :shock:
nice specimen :clap:

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:30 pm 

FAC Member (2013)
Pumbaa,

What a awesome sighting and :cam: of the two brothers :clap: :clap: ...sure the abscess was making the one a bit grumpy..looks painful. :hmz: ...They are really big fellas.. look well fed. :dance:

Glad there was some birdie activity. :dance: ... 8) ...to start to the morning.

Kruger May/June 2014
Mokala June 2014

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:52 pm 

Aat wrote:
Very nice sighting with the male lions.
Even if they don't move that much they are impressive ... the kings.
Somehow they look familiar to me...with the marks on their bodies... don't know if they import lions or marked in kruger

Indeed they were impressive and obviously they are well known Bad Boys :? But to meet them was wonderful :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:54 pm 

john n poppy wrote:
Two great big bloody brothers...what better way to start a day!

Nice pics

John :thumbs_up:

I also cannot think of a better start into the day - Moreover as the first hour was soooo quite :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:55 pm 

anne-marie wrote:
oups... very big tummy :shock:
nice specimen :clap:

For Kruger these were the hugest tummies I ever saw :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:57 pm 

Trrp-trrrrrrrr wrote:
Pumbaa,

What a awesome sighting and :cam: of the two brothers :clap: :clap: ...sure the abscess was making the one a bit grumpy..looks painful. :hmz: ...They are really big fellas.. look well fed. :dance:

Glad there was some birdie activity. :dance: ... 8) ...to start to the morning.

Only realized this abscess later when checking the pictures - Poor boy :? More birdies joined this sighting as well and during the rest of the drive more of them accompanied us :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:27 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year & Sighting of the Year - Small Creatures and Insects (2013)
Great story about the 'brothers', Pumbaa :thumbs_up:

The pics are also great, especially with the open field. There tummies were really full, so they must have had a feast that night. The one lion got marked C, and then I looked a lion photo I took close to Beg 'n Dal in Sep'10 who also got a mark, but it was I- on the right hind leg.

It also happened to me occasionally when driving a road and nothing on it and then suddenly some great sghtings. Seemes one have to put in the kms and time to be rewarded :hmz: . But the reward is always sweet.

Thank you for sharing and look forward to more. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:48 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Pumbaa, that looks rather a sore lump :( but it has not stopped him from getting a very big belly.... my goodness me there has been a recent feast.

Stunning :thumbs_up: .

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 997 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 67  Next