Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 2
 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Scouter's KTP Cricket Memories - Kgalagadi, March 2013
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:03 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Firstly I would like to say a huge CONGRATULATIONS to Kgalagadi but to Jannie, Dupel and Hannes especially, for the most incredible experience I have ever had in the park (and that includes some amazing experiences over the years I’ve been coming ) - the cricket was simply the best !

I am back home again and starting to sort out the 1400 photos I took during the week I was with you and looking at the photos I am almost moved to tears by the memories that came flooding back to me so please bear with me while I share some of them with you ....

the stunning cricket pitch that you guys built from nothing in the red sand and that will bring so much pleasure and do incredible things for the community …..

the stalls surrounding the field selling such yummy local food and goodies ( the stamp mielies and pumpkin was out of this world ) and especially the bushman stall with the gorgeous artifacts so lovingly created and the necklace with the eland on that I fell in love with and will wear with pride ;

the cute bushmen kids playing with Stefan in the sand with the empty tortoise shell and a big black beetle inside;

the donkey cart ride through Welkom with Colby and Brander who had the longest ears I've ever seen on a donkey;

Jenand saying "G'day" to Brander

Jannie and Stefan go on a tour of Welkom ...

more to follow ...

Some people come into our lives, leave footprints on our hearts and we are never the same ...

Post subject: Re: KTP Cricket Memories
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:44 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

More memories ...

the loooong queue of kids waiting patiently for their turn on the jumping castle and their screams of pure joy as at last it was their turn;

waiting patiently for the jumping castle to be blown up before they headed off intot he classroom for some lessons ....

Robert doing castle duty and trying to keep some semblance of order - NOT an easy job believe me

Some people come into our lives, leave footprints on our hearts and we are never the same ...

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:54 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I will remember .....

Pam's daughters playing a mean game of cricket and then going for a horse ride together over the dunes ( Pam would have been so happy and so proud of them ) …..

Michelle is 2nd from the left ( 1st woman after KG) and Joanne is far right .....

.....the fun the kids had riding their horses flat out over the red sands of the dunes while the cricket match was being played;

the tiniest little boy riding a massive horse without a care in the world through all the stalls and barking dogs and people …

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:29 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

......the scorching heat, the incredible blue of the sky and the red sand hot beneath my feet;

The friendly locals who were also looking for a bit of shade .....

A literal rendering of “ hier kom die bokke “

the wonderful friends I made and are now part of my Forum family forever ( especially Shakyjakes and his lovely mom and brother - thank you guys for making this so trip SO special with your friendship) and Jenny from Australia … wonderful to meet Martie and Click click and RichardJ and Rusty and to catch up again with all the old friends as well .....

the vultures circling overhead before the final match between the Forum men and the KTP Eagles ( no photo unfortunately but I promise they were there - 3 of them – ask Jannie ) hmmmmm... maybe they were Eagles and not vultures after all ... and maybe it was a sign ... :D

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:36 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Bert, those horses were so gorgeous and in such great condition too ... but as you say, that boy is TINY and he was just so happy on his horse ... " min gepla " - no worries .....

The kids absolutely loved the jumping castle - the teacher actually had to come and chase them all inside the school but they were back as soon as school was over and while they were inside, the little ones had their fun...

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:45 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The hardworking team of guides who were up at sparrows and worked themselves to a standstill driving and carrying and fetching guests but were unfailingly always smiling and cheerful - Richard ( Eco training student) , D’ruell ( conservation student) and Robert ( TR guide) – well done guys - you did KTP and your boss proud :k

The first batch of excited players arriving for the start of the cricket ... what a moment !

the Golden gate team who played so well and seeing Yolandi and Rudi again;

Yolandi far right .....

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:05 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

It was a fantastic weekend, Scouter and certainly one we'll never forget!
I hope you'll forgive me for hijacking your thread and posting a pic of 3 very happy little girls you had just bought scarves for!
126cricket in the Kalahari 2013 by jansp, on Flickr

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:06 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

the wonderful vibe and amazing spirit and good sportsmanship shown by everyone there;

Meandering Mouse

Eco Junkie

RichardJ, Russel, Baffers discussing the final ...

KTP Eagles mens team

KTP Womens team

After action , satisfaction …. I promise it was only water in those bottles …

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:06 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

the kids in their red and white KFC T-shirts so excited to be getting cricket coaching and then setting up their own game afterwards in the car park so they could keep on playing and the fun that they had;

2 little boys trying to pressgang a friend into putting on a KFC shirt and holding him down to do so while he protested loudly all the time ( I'm sure he was happy afterwards though);

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:50 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

..... having almost the whole staff at Twee Rivieren turn up to support the cricket ( well those those didnt have to work)....

our KTP staff singing and dancing to “New Balance” - thank you Eva :) ;

the lovely braais at the restaurant on Thursday and Friday nights where I got to meet so many new faces for the first time - people I had only ever "met" online before;

thank you Isabel for your hard work ...

And my brother Shakyjakes for giving Jannie one of the best presents he could ever have got ……

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:23 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thank you all for your patience .. seems like we are back up and running this morning :thumbs_up: so heres the next installment JenB ...

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:45 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The wonderful atmosphere of the Saturday evening – live band, gorgeous food, lots and lots of interesting people to talk to ….

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:28 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

the hangar that was transformed into a world class dining room - so beautiful it took my breath away - Isabelle, you are amazing !

Photobucket has now decided to "kick the bucket" for me ... hope its not permanent and will try again in the morning ...

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:58 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The sunset that just got better and better …

Ray's jokes and wonderful commentary all the way through the 2 days of cricket and his awesome presenting at the Gala Evening – you rocked Ray ;

" Iron Chef Kalahari " aka Dupel in his makeshift kitchen producing mouth watering food for us all ......

Our awesome and attentive waitresses and kitchen staff – well done guys !

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:03 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Finding out that the dance group that evening were my second group of precious “Kids in Parks” children and hearing them call “tannie Gill … TANNIE GIIIILLLLLL” and being able to chat to them all again and find out how they were doing …. Priceless ….

They were all so proud to show me that they still had their Kids in Parks shirts :D

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next