Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Aquilla KNP - Saturday 19th Jan 2013
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:44 am 

I have just come back from a trip to the lowveld. I only spent 1 night in Kruger and the other 6 outside in a time share resort in Hazyview. Just for the record, this is most unusual for me as the 'experience' has to include staying in The Park.

On arrival at Phabeni Gate, we were told that ALL sand roads were closed and that they could not honour my paid-for booking in Mbiyamithi. Naturally, i was most disappointed, but it was out of the hands of the KNP.

Luckily, they managed to get us 3 bungalow's up in Satara. We headed up there in the constant rain thinking that we would see very little game. We saw plenty of game but the game the next day was really out of the top drawer.

The re-done bungalows were in such a shoddy state and i think it is a total embarresment. And for this, it costs almost R1000 a night. Unacceptable in my view having travelled to many countries throughout the world.

Whilst we were there, a helicopter was flying up and down and i wondered why? I later met some people who had been flown in from Talamati! They were all stranded. An 80 year old woman apparently had her first flight, from Talamati to Satara !! Fantastic.

Tshokwane was totally closed as the staff could not cross the river to get to work. The river was huge; the biggest i have ever seen in my 40 years of going to Tshokwane.

On the way out the next day we saw the big 5 in a few hours PLUS Wild Dog right next to the road on 2 occations. The first pack was between Tshokwane and Skukuza and the other 1km from Phabeni Gate on a kill. All this took place in falling rain.

All in all, we had a great time despite the rain. The game was awesome and the bush stunning. Having said that, the ameneties are , in general, of a very poor standard and a disgrace.

I have always been against a private company running the show. Perhaps, its time.....

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]