Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 563 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 38  Next
 Post subject: Re: A&E Story 09 BC Diary -The Kings -
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:40 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Thanks Hoyle
Seeing them and hearing them roar at such a small distance is something you don't forget.... what a sound !! :) :)

Hope you have a wonderful trip and look out for Tuskers....please.
You can download tusker documents from my tusker site :wink: :wink: to help you ID;ing them

hoyle wrote:
Thanks AAT for your great stories and fabulous pictures. The lion kings were so special, especially hearing them roar, it is a sound one can't describe - we will be there for 6 weeks from next Saturday, so hope we have special sightings, but just being there is enough.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:45 am 

Thanks Aat - have already downloaded your info and safely on my file! Will certainly look out for tuskers. Looking back at previous pics I am sure we have seen tuskers, but not realised it.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:52 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Thank you Aat, they are Majestic!! :whistle: :whistle:
:D Stunning Pics. :great:

Extinction is forever and survival is up to---every last one of us!

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:06 pm 

Great to hear hoyle, another "look out" for the tusker site and if I can help with ID'ing , you are welcome

hoyle wrote:
Thanks Aat - have already downloaded your info and safely on my file! Will certainly look out for tuskers. Looking back at previous pics I am sure we have seen tuskers, but not realised it.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:08 pm 

Thanks Philip1 ,
They were very friendly posing for me that way.... including yawning and roar on command ...lolllll :lol: :lol:

Philip1 wrote:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Thank you Aat, they are Majestic!! :whistle: :whistle:
:D Stunning Pics. :great:

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:09 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

It must have been great to spend time with those lions roaring, yawning and putting on a good show for you!
Breakfast must have been much delayed!

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:05 pm 

Thanks kite,
Breakfast turned into a Brunch.... breakfast / lunch... lollll :lol: :lol:
It was not the only time we had to skip breakfast ...more about that later :wink: :wink:

kite wrote:
It must have been great to spend time with those lions roaring, yawning and putting on a good show for you!
Breakfast must have been much delayed!

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:22 pm 

Just catching up again , reading your stories. Amazing sightings and awesome photos. What you guys have shared with us is a treasure for most of us for one trip and I am "afraid" it is not over yet...I HOPE :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Like to thank you too for your contribution to the Big Tusker thread. Keep on doing this please, I think many of us are using your tusker site :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:58 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Aat looks like that big boy could swallow a man whole :clap:

26 - 28 April Pretoriuskop (First Time Visit)
29-30 April Olifants
1-2 May Mopani
3-4 May Orpen
5-6 May Lower Sabie

Trip Report Photographs and Memories Kruger June 2013

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:07 am 
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
Aat, magical sighting indeed, and stunning pics. :clap: :clap: :clap: As you say, to have them in good light, posing so beautifully, what more can one ask for. But then again, we have come to expect this from Elly and you - just driving, talking about this and that, and then suddenly, around a corner ... WHAM! A top Aat-and-Elly sighting; as if you haed ordered them from a menu. Mmmmm, okay, what incredible sighting do you think we will choose today. :wink: :lol:

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:51 am 
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
Aat wrote:
After the “hill” they continued walking the S100 (sometimes nothing to see at all and sometimes soooo rich… I love this road. Later on in an other story you will see why…smile…

Keeping the best for last, eh, Aat? :wink: You have centre stage, so whenever you choose, I'll be waiting for THAT story. :D

Just caught up on your whole TR - yes, sadly been sidetracked of late - and have been singing along with you all the way. A truly superb TR - just the right amount of commentary that keeps one either guessing or wowing with you - and phenomenal pics. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: But that all stems from your phenomenal sightings - I think you are too modest about your sixth sense; perhaps you should have your own TV programme, something like Het Nederlandse Whisperer (whatever that is in Dutch). You probably operate NORMALLY with your sixth sense, bringing in a seventh sense most of the time too. :wink: Why do I say this? Simply because you and Ellie see the most UNBELIEVABLE sightings - things that seasoned veterans of Kruger Park have never seen in decades of visiting. Tssesebe, eland, sable, and ... ROAN; cheetah cubs, leopard cub, lion roadblocks (with cubs of course), great tuskers, perfectly displaying male lions ... the list is breathtaking.

Having said that, I'll run with this TR - actually sprinting most of the time - and enjoy every one of those special moments. Moments that I know only come once or twice (in your case maybe a dozen or more :twisted: ) in a lifetime. LOVING every word and every pixel of this TR. :gflower:

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:23 pm 

BTSK,
Thanks and be sure...there will be a nice number of stories to write and post :) :)

BTSK wrote:
Just catching up again , reading your stories. Amazing sightings and awesome photos. What you guys have shared with us is a treasure for most of us for one trip and I am "afraid" it is not over yet...I HOPE :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Like to thank you too for your contribution to the Big Tusker thread. Keep on doing this please, I think many of us are using your tusker site :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:36 pm 

OWN,
Thanks for your great comment. Funny you mentioned our secret ...our Menu book ... :lol:
The s100 sighting you are referring to will not be the last one :hmz: :hmz:
I really wish a TV station would do that...just a question and a full Yess by us... but it isn'e that easy I am afraid.
Six'th sense... I really don't know... following first thing you think of and just do it...and hope... but sometimes I think ...how is it possible... will tell you more about that last story... :wink: :wink:
But...... next to great sightings it was really wonderful to meet both of you and other forumites.
The sightings we both enjoyed very much including talking to each other was special too.
At home when when we were looking at the pics and the nice memories going along with the sightings we were looking at each other and saying... wwwoooww... what a luck we had.
Hope we can give you some more to enjoy coming weekend. :wink:

OWN, I think we never had such a warm and special comment on the stories ..thanks friends :thumbs_up:

onewithnature wrote:
Aat wrote:
After the “hill” they continued walking the S100 (sometimes nothing to see at all and sometimes soooo rich… I love this road. Later on in an other story you will see why…smile…

Keeping the best for last, eh, Aat? :wink: You have centre stage, so whenever you choose, I'll be waiting for THAT story. :D

Just caught up on your whole TR - yes, sadly been sidetracked of late - and have been singing along with you all the way. A truly superb TR - just the right amount of commentary that keeps one either guessing or wowing with you - and phenomenal pics. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: But that all stems from your phenomenal sightings - I think you are too modest about your sixth sense; perhaps you should have your own TV programme, something like Het Nederlandse Whisperer (whatever that is in Dutch). You probably operate NORMALLY with your sixth sense, bringing in a seventh sense most of the time too. :wink: Why do I say this? Simply because you and Ellie see the most UNBELIEVABLE sightings - things that seasoned veterans of Kruger Park have never seen in decades of visiting. Tssesebe, eland, sable, and ... ROAN; cheetah cubs, leopard cub, lion roadblocks (with cubs of course), great tuskers, perfectly displaying male lions ... the list is breathtaking.

Having said that, I'll run with this TR - actually sprinting most of the time - and enjoy every one of those special moments. Moments that I know only come once or twice (in your case maybe a dozen or more :twisted: ) in a lifetime. LOVING every word and every pixel of this TR. :gflower:

Post subject: A&E Story 10 BC Diary -Leopards north & south-
Unread postPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:35 am 

*** NEW Stories ***
Like my previous TR’s, this is not going to be a day to day TR, but a series of stories about animals and special situations based on our last trip from november 11th 2012 till december 9th 2012.

Story 10 – BC Diary - Leopard North & South -

Welcome on board again !

But…. First I like to say thanks to all for paying attention to the stories.
So I take advantage of the number of people reading this (I hope). For the ones who don’t know my special interest is (Big) Tuskers…. Yes, these giants with thick and long tusks
If you found or will find these tuskers please post something on the Big Tusker thread (section Mammals) , or if you like some help with ID’ing the name or any other question please contact me by PM. I can only update my Tusker site www.tuskersofafrica.com by getting photos made by you.

Your trip-reporter will take you from south to north in our beloved krugerpark.
Leopards mainly appear sleeping in trees or quickly cross the road or show their tail to you… just sometimes you are lucky to look at them in a different way.

I don’t deny we have had some luck during this trip but as a Big Cat Diary reporter (smileeeee) I asked the cats to show themselves as good as possible.
I think I am right that IF you see a leopard it’s by surprise and Elly and I love surprizes very very much.

So let’s start in the south. Coming from Crocodile Bridge towards Lower Sabie on the main road, first 30 to 40 minutes nothing on or near the road…then approaching the turnoff to the S28.
Just at the other side (right) of the turnoff coming out of some small bush… yesssss

-
-

Leopard…. A male leopard…. Believe me sometimes one can be quick with stopping car, window down and camera ready to shoot….

-
-

Wowwwww what a beauty !! In the mean time realizing we have seen Leopard before near this area, a female with cub, a few years ago. So a very quick conclusion…this male was here to ….?
Idd , trying to find and date a nice girl.

-
-

Typical face of a any cat smelling something….. so no exeption with this beautiful leopard.

-
-

and a close up of him. Looking at the pictures, impressed again by him

-
-

The small bush near the road was very attractive …I think he smelled something he liked to smell…

-
-

It was really great to watch him…then he decided to cross the road

-
-

The colours… so special… with the sun rising…. 6:30 in the morning and looking at this king of beauty

-
-

A last view… he was walking away into the bush….

-
-

End of this small story

After a small break and then…. Your reporter takes you to the north.
Ok, we just arrived in Shingwedzi. Great area for tuskers, one of the reasons for us to go to Shingwedzi.
Late afternoon, one hour for closing time and and I decided to have one more drive to Kanniedood-dam… don’t kow why…but my “feelings” told me to go there. I hoped to see a tusker in that area or in the riverbed.

Well, NO tusker appeared and looking at my watch I said to myself…till the “corner” and then back. Just a few hundred meters before the “corner” to the right I saw something moving in the smaller bush near the road.
Yeppppp…… Leopard !

-
-

Quickly turned my car for better view

-
-

He was about crossing the road in front of me…so it was not going to be a long sighting.

-
-

What beauties are they. It’s great to see him so close-by. Realizing this does not happen so many times.

-
-

I tried to convince him to stay a bit longer, but no… leopard did not listen at all

-
-

And like in first story here… a last look at his tail before he disappeared into the bush.

-
-

Thanks for being aboard again and hope you liked the Kings of Beauty
Next story….? I really don’t know yet about what…

Aat & Elly

Many other pictures of last en other trips:
My Wildlife Photography Site
http://www.awv-photography.com

Post subject: Re: A&E Story 10 BC Diary -LEOPARD South&North-
Unread postPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:36 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
superb cat, superb sightings... never enough of these spotted :dance: :dance: :clap: :clap: :clap:

and then you don't what will be the next story... I understand :lol: not easy to choose after that :whistle:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 563 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 38  Next