Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Oumie's trip : KNP Feb 2006
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:23 am 

They arrived safely late yesterday.

Sms from Oumie at 10pm last night:
Quote:
Finished having a braai & now watching the starts. Battling to get these Scots to bed! They are drinking ll my Amarula!

We are having a ball.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Last edited by DinkyBird on Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Oumie's KNP trip : Feb 2005
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:46 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Video of the Year (2013)
DinkyBird wrote:
They arrived safely late yesterday.

Sms from Oumie at 10pm last night:
Quote:
Finished having a braai & now watching the starts. Battling to get these Scots to bed! They are drinking ll my Amarula!

We are having a ball.
Mix the Amarula with Wiskey and you get the famous Amawiskeyrula and belief me, even Scots will sleep like baby's. :twisted:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:39 pm 

Here we go: (from Oumie)

Quote:
Enjoying it here, but the poor Scots are sweating, the temp today is 35!

Not seen much, a few Giraffe, Warthog, Ellies, Rhino, Waterbuck, Baboons & Vervets. Trying to find Lions for them.

Just started to rain now, but still very hot. Park is looking lovely, green and lush, grass vey high along the road.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:52 pm 

Hot off my cell - sms from Oumie:

Quote:
Holding thumbs we see one of the cats tomorrow. They now drinking the Amarula like there is no tomorrow! Going to battle to get them to go and sleep.

G'nite til tomorrow.

:lol: :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:07 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Just recieved from Oumie:

Quote:
Thank goodness it is only 26 so far and overcast.
At last we saw lions! On the S114 – first a lioness sitting under a thicket, then at Renosterkoppies 2 big male lions laying on the road. The Scots were like children, excited and taking millions of photos.
As usual the Jeep jockeys were aplenty. Had a chat to one, I said hello Jeep jockey & he started to laugh, said he knows that we forummers have named them that! :lol:
We are staying at Skukuza.
Oh and one of the Scots had a chat to a baby impala & the baby answered back! We were all in hysterics laughing! It made our day. :shock: :lol:
Going now to book for dinner tonight at the restaurant!

So glad they got to see lions! 8) :thumbs_up:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:01 am 

Oumie sent this sms to me last night at 10:45pm:

Quote:
Had a lovely dinner at the restuarant. Had some Kudu meat & lots of veggies. Dessert was also nice, fresh fruit & ice cream. Early night tonight. Leaving early for Jhb (driving) airport back to Cape Town.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:02 am 

Just in from Oumie:

Quote:
Leaving Phabeni gate, taking a slow drive to Jhb.

:(

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:47 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Just a short report for now :D
(still have the Scots here till Wednesday)
They had a good time and are sad to go back on Thursday :cry:

We had a lovely time in Kruger :D Just did not see too many animals because the grass was very high and it was very HOT in the park, so the animals were lying or standing under
shade :(
Battled to see all the big 5 :!:

Will have a short report and photo's soon :wink:

Kruger booked for 2015.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:37 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Here goes with the report :D
Firstly this trip was not planned. The Scots booked a flight from Cape Town to Johannesburg to go and visit SO's cousin in Pretoria. They wanted to go and find their mother's grave and put some flowers on it. We could not find the info about the grave before hand and it is impossible to find info at the offices of all the grave sites in Pretoria :(
3 days before they were due to fly to Johannesburg we called SO's cousin and found out he was not well. So they cancelled with their cousin and prepared themselves to loose the money :shock: SO then decided that they should not loose the money they paid for airfares to Johannesburg and gave me strict instructions :rtfm: to book myself a flight and make a booking at SANPARKS for accommodation, and he organized a hired car through a friend 8) That is how we landed up at Kruger :wink:
We arrived at Johannesburg airport 11:00am and rushed to the car hire section and got the car and sped off to Kruger - Did not speed only went 120 all the way :!: Had to make quick stops for the ladies and one of them also smoked :evil: She kept on lighting a fag the minute we stepped out of the car, and with me shouting to her to hurry up :roll:
Arrived in Hazyview at 3:30pm. Stopped at the Spar and bought some meat, milk, coffee and the usual provisions for the first night. Again a few fags were lit by this Scot outside spar while we were shopping :evil:
At 4:10 I started to panic, SO told me that I have to leave Hazyview by 4pm to get to the gate in time :shock:
Shouted at the Scots who was still browsing around the centre to get into the car- guess who was last in the car, fag lady :x
Well I then sped towards Kruger Gate thinking that I am going to arrive late at the gate :redface: Well I really started to panic when I had to go slow because of the slow vehicles and all the goats and cows on that road :evil: Had the male Scot sitting next to me pushing the brakes on his side all the time :lol: Poor chap thought he was in the car with Michael Schumacher :wink:
I was in a real panic when I looked at my watch and saw that I had 3 min to get to the camp and I was a few klm away. Well we arrived at the first gate and I noticed the gate was still open, went on and saw that the main gate was also still open. Jumped out and greeted the gate guard who was smiling and welcoming us to the park. I told him that I might be late when he just smiled and said " The gate only closes at 18:30 :shock: (I was in "winter" mode, the gates close in winter 17:30pm) While walking to the gate office I kept on telling myself ---you idiot, you idiot... :x :D
We had a whole hour to get to Skukuza after entering the gate :lol:
:oops: forgot my yellow ribbon at home :redface:
That is when the poor Scots felt the Lowveld heat :D
I told them to open the windows and smell and listen to the bush. These guys felt the heat hit them in the faces and the first thing they said was "Me Gods, it is hot here" on which I replied welcome to Kruger! I did let them suffer a bit with the heat before I closed the windows and put the aircon on :lol:
We arrived at Skukuza in good time and settled into the bungalows. Rushed off to the shop to buy them some "hooligan juice" before we started the braai. They were hungry and thirsty so out came the drinks. Well I started the braai and they poured the drinks. We had a lovely supper and lots of "hooligan juice" :shock: What a job it was to get them to go and sleep early :? Fag lady kept on smoking, more smoking than eating by now :wink: eventually I told them that if they do not go and sleep now, I am going to wake them up at 5am to go out early. That worked because they then said no please can we only go out early the next day, they are tired. They went to bed after I promised to not wake them too early.
But I did wake them at 6:30 and and said I am going for a morning drive and who wants to come with...guess what...they all jumped into the car for fear they are going to miss out seeing animals :lol:
Day1) Drove on the Salitje road, did not see much in the big game, but the one Scot spotted a Scrubs hare and was very excited to spot her first animal :D
Had breakfast at Mlondozi. They enjoyed it there. We sat there for a long time, watching some Rhino in a distance and Elephant bathing. As usual the Vervets were a menace. I had a dishcloth in my hand when one cheeky one decided to come to our table. I shooed him away with the cloth, but he new it was not going to hurt him, and he challenged me making these grunting noises and eyes wide open. Well I grab one of the plastic chairs and his lordship then ran away shouting back at me :evil: I am sure that they are still being fed by visitors :twisted:
The Scots gave the vervets a new name: Blue nut monkeys :D
Sightings for the day: Impala, Warthog, Slender Mongoose, Scrubs hare, Vervet, Zebra, Elephant, Reed Buck, Giraffe, White Rhino, Baboon, Grey Duiker.
Also had a lovely braai that night with lots of "hooligan juice"
Well after the braai I took out my bottle of Amarula, big mistake, they drank it as if there was no tomorrow :shock:
Between 3 of us we finished it in no time. Only got to bed at 12:30pm.
Day 2) I got them up early, at 5am to go for a morning drive. Glad I did because they saw their first lion that morning :D
Took the S114 to Renosterkoppies dam. Saw our first Lioness a few metres down that road, already in the shade, it was so hot! We could just see her sitting under a bush. She was peering at us through the bushes, panting from the heat and it was still early in the morning :shock:
We sat with her for a while and drove further down to the dam when I noticed 3 cars parked all over the road. There we saw two big males also lying in the shade on the sand road. What a sight it was for the Scots:!: Camera’s was clicking away at high speed :wink:
That is when the Jeep Jockey’s arrived by the dozens. I must say they were well behaved.
One then drove over to my side and asked if I have seen lots of animals coming along the S114. That is when I greeted him “Hello Jeep Jockey” He smiled and said that he knows that we forumer’s call them that name. I think he does go into the forum website and read all the postings. He then explained to me why they rush around the park. They pick the visitors up at the airport early in the morning and drive them into the park to view animals, then in the afternoon they have to have them out the park, back to the airport again. The pressure is on them to find the big 5, thus the radio contact they have with each other, and that is why they “chase” from one sighting to the other.
Sightings for the day: Impala, Warthog, Zebra, Elephant, Giraffe, Waterbuck, Hippo, Bushbuck, Wildebeest, Lion, Kudu, Dwarf Mongoose, Squirrel & Peters Epauletted fruit bat.
Had a braai and lots of Amarula’s again. Went to bed late again.

Day 3) took a slow drive to Lower Sabie and had lunch there. They loved the camp and decided that it is their favourite camp, even if they have not been to the other camps.
Drove back to Skukuza, and on the way we met a little heard of Impala with little ones. Well we stopped to take some photo’s of the little ones when one of the little males started to “talk” The one Scot lady then said in a Scottish voice “Hello” and it answered her back, it sounded like “hello”, well she again said hello and he again said hello back. Well we were in stitches by this time, the tears was running from all the laughing :lol: This went on for about 15 minutes, she saying hello and he answering hello back!! Wish I had my video camera with me then, left it at home. We then went back to camp and had a rest. At 4pm we went to Lake Panic and sat there for the rest of the afternoon. It was so peaceful there.
Sighting for the day: Peter’s Epauletted fruit bat, Impala, Warthog, Elephant, Giraffe, Waterbuck, Hippo, Wildebeest and Squirrel.
We went to the restaurant for supper and must tell you the food was good. I had some of the Kudu steak, it was yum! The service was excellent and “Bettie” who served us was friendly and helpful. The Scots gave her a nice tip :thumbs_up:
Thank goodness the Scots were too tired to drink too much so we had an early night :wink:
Had 1 bottle of white wine and 1 bottle of red wine at the dinner table between 4 of us :redface:
Slept like a baby.

Day 4)

Left the park at 9 am :( and stopped at Hazyview for breakfast. Lovely little shopping centre next to the Numbi Hotel. It was one of the ladies birthday and while we chatted at the table (the waitress must have heard us talking about her birthday) the manageress game out with a lovely little bunch of flowers with a hand written “Happy Birthday” card and gave it to the birthday girl. What a lovely gesture!
After brekkies I again had to go and hunt for the “fag” lady! She was strolling around looking at all the little shops, fag in hand.
Arrived in a wet and rainy Johannesburg airport at 4pm, glad the drive was over.
Not glad to have left Kruger though! I will be in Kruger in 3 month’s time again.
Got back to Cape Town at 7pm and SO had a surprise for his cousin, booked dinner at a restaurant looking onto Table Mountain.
Well they had a lovely time in Kruger and said they want to come back in 2008 in our winter time to go to Kruger again and stay longer.

Hope my report was not too long!

Kruger booked for 2015.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:50 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Here is some photos :D
Little one just crossed the road

Arriving at the camp gate

The guys who started it all
Vic Cambell hut
Lioness hiding under a bush a few klm from Renosterkoppies dam
The two big males at Renosterkoppies dam
Having a wee in front of my vehicle

Will post some more photos sometime because we are going to have more power cuts today :shock:

Kruger booked for 2015.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:55 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

More pics :D
This ellie started to push the tree, then stopped and walked off
This guy was walking towards Mholondozi
Same guy now walking in the road
Mholondozi
Lake Panic - hiding under dad's wings
Phabeni Gate

Kruger booked for 2015.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:49 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Freda wrote:
Seems like you have got them hooked on Kruger, Oumie :wink:
I would love to meet the 'fag lady', we would get on famously :roll:

Oh yes, they are planning a trip in 2008 and "gentleman Jim" wants to do the argus cycle tour as well :D
Freda the "fag" lady is really sweet. She is just a sweetie. She lost her husband 8 weeks ago before she came out to South Africa, but she coped well. I think she needed this holiday. She was always smiling and can she talk :shock: Do not keep quiet for one minute :roll: :lol:
Photo of us in the restaurant....Me.."fag lady"...sister "the quiet one" & husband "gentle Jim" :D

Kruger booked for 2015.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]