Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: It's raining cats and dogs in KNP
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:04 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2013)
So here we are again. ME writing about my recent Kruger expedition that I shared with my mum. This was to be our first time staying at Crocodile Bridge and it is definitely not going to be the last time because we had such an amazing time there, especially the people that camps there as well. The nicest people on planet earth.
Now this trip started actually in March-where I was bidding my little wallet empty for this weekend Image and after many threats and name calling I won Image at least it was for a good cause. Mites every year there is a silent auction for a SANParks project and this year was for anti rhino poaching. You just have to do it because it is a lot of fun!!!!!! Image
So now after 6 months of counting off days, planning, making arrangments and stocking up on my Amarula supply we were on our way to KNP Image
We left Witbank 16:00 on Thursday afternoon and were on our way to Sabie Park as a stop over. We drove lekker chilled out even though I was bubbling with excitement. We got to Sabie Park with no hassles except that we saw a car that was unlucky enough to drive straight into a cow. Image Hope that he wasn't a holiday goer as his car was totally bonkers in front. After just unpacking our toiletries and clothes we went to bed to start the next morning early. Image

tbc

7+8 March cricket @ Skuks

25+26 April Skuks

12 Jul Tambotie
13-15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Post subject: Re: It's raining cats and dogs in KNP
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:31 pm 
Thanks so much for joining in on this trip. Much more mites joined this trip than I bargained for but not to worry-I phoned my friendly broom's for hire bud and now connected them to my broom, so we all can have a lekker trip Image

25+26 April Skuks

12 Jul Tambotie
13-15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:34 pm 
This is how a day should start...

Sleeping like a baby that night listening to owls and the wind in the grass and trees Image It wasn't at all a problem to wake up at 4:00 in the morning to have an ice cold shower. Because we only slept over it wasn't necessary to go around the house and put on the gas and then light the geezer so the cold shower was my own doing Image .Then I wake up mum, while she had a cold bath I pack the car and then we left Sabie Park to drive back to Hazyview so that we can enter Kruger at the Phabeni Gate. We were all tra-la-la when my mum just mention that I have to keep my eyes open for animals crossing the road after the incident last night Image and as she says it I brake instantly because 5 buffaloes decide to cross the R536. Why are they escaping from the Kruger??? I had such a skrik and our equipment was in the back that I didn't have the time to take a kiekie. Who would expect seeing one of the Big 5 even before entering the Gate?

Now we get to Phabeni Gate all excited as the day already started with a BANG!!! We get out all our gear, camera hanging on the neck, map between the seats and binocs on the dash. We are ready for the Kruger Image Image But is she ready for us?

Our route was S1 -> S65 -> H1-1 -> H4-1 -H4->2 to Crocodile Bridge that day. And me mum is a bit flabbergasted because she can't believe that we drove 181km in 12 hours Image

Now our first sighting is how most of us enter the Park, a herd of imps.

and then we saw some G-raffs

and zebs, the baby was so cute

After them we got to see our first Big5 member in the Park. This ellie was all by his lonesome and very chilled out so we went bos with the kiekies. He obliged in posing like a model for us Image

On the S65 we saw a group of vervets. Very interesting for me was the fact that one was sitting in the grass and chowing away on flowers and leaves. Since when do they eat that? My kiekie of that one wasn't that good so I'm posting one of his bud checking us from the tree,

We also saw a cutie pie-he posed just perfectly for a kiekie. Actually all the steenbokkies were very kind, none of them were skittish and all out in the open. I have a lot of nice Image of them

We also so this one dwarf mongoose-it was actually our only mongoose sighting that whole weekend. And it was very quick.

And then this nice looking kudu, they seemed to not have like us either this weekend. Because I have no kiekie with their faces turned towards me Image

As we are nearing the end of the S65 I receive a bbm of lions at Transport dam and ask mum what does she think? Well a bit of info about mum is that she has 7 cats and I have 1 so knowing that you must make the conclusion that she/we love cats and had to turn right towards Transport. On our way a JJ flash us and inform us that 700m into the Transportdam road is a leppie in the road now you would think that we are super excited. The leppie we didn't see but who would. There were 3 cars that swooshed past us to go and check out the lions!!!!!! Image Ya you guys don't want to hear what I uttered under my breath when that happened. All I see is dust and the best was that the rushed towards the dam on the left and the lions actually were chilling on the right. We were ecstatic when we saw this Imagewe were only 2 cars when we arrived

We sat with them for about 20 minutes as it was starting to get crowded, about 15 cars, and then the golden kitties decided to do what cats do best.

Just before we left the jam a JJ asked me what the 'H' stands for on my YR, and he didn't even know that there is such a thing like SANParks forum... I will show you guys on my next episode what my YR looked like. All I can say is that I made it myself and I think its superbious.

tbc

25+26 April Skuks

12 Jul Tambotie
13-15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:37 am 
This is not a sprint but a marathon...

So we leave the golden kitties and are on our merry way to Skuks via the H1-1 Image. I stop at klipspringerkoppie just to see my favorite rockjumpertjie so far and hidden that no kiekie can be taken. Sometimes they can be so spiteful if they want to be hey? I went a bit to the front- then reversed a bit-then to the front again but to no avail, that jumpertjie was snickering behind the bush because of our predicament. Image

The rest of the road was very quiet until we were about 4km from Skukuza and we see a small roadblock. Well we slow down even more and keep our eyes open just to see this in the grass...

You must be joking!!!! Really doggies sommer so in the morning Image What a great day this is being for us. Now bare with me this is the doggie episode so there will only be doggy kiekies...
They were lying in the grass, not like my previous doggie sighting in March when they were right next to me in the road so I got a lekker spot, switched the ignition off and sat ready with the cam in my hand.

Some of them were just lying and every now and then you would see an ear flicker but otherwise nothing. Then some of the others would sit, lie and then walk around and then repeat this the whole time. I think they were 24 doggies in total.

Here is one with a collar-mummy dog

Now in a bush you would hear yelping the whole time and these juvies/pups came out

She stood up and joined them in the bush and I sweat some of them still drank from her Image
Then other ones came from the bush that looked like adults

This one pup was very playful and kept us entertained for a while, playing with everything that he set his eyes one

We sat with them for an hour and half. My mum started fiddling around because I didn't want to leave them. It was almost 12 and we still had to drive all the way to croc bridge. i just kept making excuses like just another cigarette...wait what are they going to do now...ag mom I want them to come to the road... But she said because a tortoise would overtake me anytime I had to move one otherwise we will have to sleep over at LS. And then with a heavy heart I had to leave my doggies.
Oh and by the way she believes that she found me a husband there in that small traffic jam we were.Image At least she didn't ask numbers on anything otherwise I would've been moving in next to the doggies to be eaten...

tbc

25+26 April Skuks

12 Jul Tambotie
13-15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:33 am 
they just keep on coming...

Now happy we were, I wouldn't have cared if all I see for the rest of the day was some grass eating imps. So we went to Skuks to freshen up and buy some of their famous frozen yoghurt which is to die for mites!!!!!! Image We then take on the H4-1 and you guys wouldn't believe what we saw next... Image

It was my ex fling from March and he looked as handsome as he was back then. He ignored me flat as he got a new girly. Apparently i wasn't his type because I fly a broom and are not born with wings.... Image But not to worry-I got a few kiekies to remember him by...

We moved on and then what greets us in front of the road? Image nothing else but another traffic jam... What is up today? We stop behind a car and I take out the binocs and start searching for life. Nothing nada niks, maybe my eyes were failing.
And then mum asks: 'What is that near the tree?'
Heksie: 'Uhm, 'n olifant stront' Translation: ellie feaces
And then a little tiff starts Image as my mum thought I was being sarcastic and I was actually looking in the wrong direction. So this is what mum saw near the tree...

Ya how blind was I ne? Image Mum with 3 cubs were lying right in front of us... As I regained control of my flabbergastedness I started taking kiekies like there was no tomorrow as this was my first kitty cubs Image

They walked over and started drinking from her...

And then here is kiekies of just the adorable babas...

We left them after about 40 wonderful minutes and I was a very happy witch Image we haven't even reached Lower Sabie and we had amazing sightings. So this time we really don't care what we see further because the day was amaaaiiiizing Image Image Image And then I think we spoke too early because we see another traffic jam, but this time it was one of those sightings that some people just ignore and drive past. It was vervets with baba. They were on me mums side so i let her take all the kiekies and then the one mum walked to my side and posed for a kiekie.

Now this is a close up and my favorite kiekie for the whole weekend. It is a aaaaaah-cute moment (and you know us gals are so soppy)

tbc

25+26 April Skuks

12 Jul Tambotie
13-15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:36 pm 
carolv wrote:
Better late than never, Heksie, just joined you for your TR. Just loving the cats and dogs.

We will overlap with you very soon at Shingwedzi so will be looking out for you

Carol and Richard (WildImage)

Can't wait to see you and WildImage again-just so all the other mites knows...
CarolV and WildImage was the first mites I met in the Park, it was also my first loner Kruger trip and they were so kind to me on the Lower Sabie sunset drive, even asked me to join them for some beers afterwards. But I fell asleep on the truck for like 10min so I declined to dose as I was a walking zombie.
I'm camping with WendyA, Scipio and PetraJ so we will have a lekker mini meet at Shing :dance:

Pumbaa wrote:
Great and lovely moments you could share with the golden kitties especially the little babas are gorgeous :clap: :clap: :clap:

What a privilege to watch them drink from the milk bar :thumbs_up:

Thanks Pumbaa and I do treasure my time with those golden ones. You know the lekker thing of this trip was that the 'traffic jams' had at most 8 cars so we could sit and enjoy every single special sighting for as long as my mother allowed me to do :tongue: :thumbs_up:

25+26 April Skuks

12 Jul Tambotie
13-15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:43 pm 
Crested Val wrote:
Now Heksie girl...........you know that wasn't lekker, to post kiekies of those doggies. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Now I'm real mad!!! :tongue: :lol:

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

I'm so sorry tannie CV. I really do :pray: that you see some soon though, they are bound to make an appearance soon in your area :thumbs_up:

cheetah2111 wrote:
Niiiiiice!!! After we met up, I couldn't see the lions on the river bank :roll: Gerhard and I sat there talking rubbish where the Lion sighting was supposed to be :roll: I think when Gerhard arrives, the animals leave :tongue: So we missed the elephant stront

Brilliant pictures :clap:
Your ex has long girly eye lashes hey. And his face was very red ... was he embarrassed to see you?

OH when we met up the last day, sorry you didn't see them but you must have seen the other pair a few kms from them hey :hmz:
Ag shame poor Gerhargdb, I don't think it is his fault, maybe you boys just didn't look in the right direction? :tongue:
I think he was, but also his new fling was in the back and he said she is the jealous type...

25+26 April Skuks

12 Jul Tambotie
13-15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:30 pm 
Driving to Lower Sabie... What you will find on this beautiful road

So this will be a quick episode with not a lot of commentary but it was a colourful part of our drive with a lot of different types of animals and birdies Image
We drove a bit faster cause mum was saying we will never reach Croc bridge with the way we are going. I think a snails pace was the best way to describe our movement in the park.

We saw the following animals on our last stretch to Lower Sabie:
Some g-raffs (well they were a lot-I have never seen so many g-raffs on a trip than this weekend)

The only leppie we saw was this leppie tortie. He was almost moving quicker than us

Beautiful male kudus, that didn't want to pose for us for some reason Image

I believe that this is a juvenile fish eagle... Image what do you guys think?

A troop of baboons that passed us, minding their own business

Mum with her hawk eyes-I don't know how she does it because she is basically blind Image She basically spot the best sightings this whole trip but she has a pair of glasses that let her see far and closeby. Don't know how that happened... Here is the Bateleur she spotted.

Then a crocarock at that dam just past Nkuhlu

Then we saw a far off ellie-a ginger according to Leach

As well as some imps across the Sabie river

Then we got to sunset dam...
And Image Noel I saw my yellow billed storkies there Image

and the place had lekker birdies... here is a sandpiper that was checking out what type of goggas was in the water, do they eat goggas?

And then... Noel I found them Image my first ever fire finches in the Kruger Image

and one of my favorite birdies-the black capped bul-bul

as well as another first for me Image these black collared barbets Image

THis was a really lekker birding drive for me.
Now somewhere along the N4 today we saw these unmentionables. They were very chilled and we had the privilege to stay with them for a lekker while

We went quickly into LS to get a body break Image and then we were off to do the last stretch to Croc bridge...

tbc

25+26 April Skuks

12 Jul Tambotie
13-15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:08 am 
The last stretch... which does take longer than we expect

So after buying ice cold refreshments Image we take on the last stretch of our journey towards Croc Bridge. Well before that we decide to drive over the low water bridge to check out what the Sabie River has to offer.
We see hippsters on both sides of the river, one chilling in the sun and the other one cooling down in the river.

Also terry climbs out of the water to come and greet us

We make a quick u-turn and then just before we get off the bridge this birdie stops us so that his kiekie can be taken. Can anybody help with his ID? I do think it is a pied wagtail but I can be wrong...

So back on the H4-2 and we drive all chilled out while a lot of cars pass us Image
We got to see a Fish Eagle

as well as a burchells coucal

Then I see in the road another car that is taking kiekies of something next to the road, I crawl closer and I start getting very exciting and jump up and down in the car Image because there is a black bellied bustard next to the road plonking for us all-or that is what he sounds like Image

I go crazy taking kiekies not caring what is going on around me exchanging cameras just every now and then. But then the unspeakable happens...
I hear the words HEKSIE Image now that can only mean that in the other car there is a forumite Image and who else than Mr. Leachyness. We have a lekker chat, I tell him about the mini meet the next day and then he says cheers and he leaves me. Now what was that about I wonder, I thought we were kuiering lekker over here? Why the sudden goodbye? Image and then as I look back to see him off I see that there is about 10 cars behind me waiting for us to finish our conversation and move on so they can get to the gate Image Well we let them all pass and then start driving in our pace again. My mum then suddenly says stop and again she spots an amazing and first sighting for us Image a scrubhare hidden away in the grass
People just drove past us not caring what we looked at. What a special sighting they missed. Was our first hare in the park.

Then on we went seeing the following on our way to the camp:
Zebs

our first vrakkie for the trip, which was very strange

and one tooth ellie

We got to the camp at last and booked in. I especially made mum phone to get us safari tent no7 in front of the fence as WendyA said it is one of the best spots at CB. We bought some wood at the Parkshop (which I will never do again because we actually got 5 trees in the bag) and as I forgot to buy Savanna aka KPA's in Pretoors just a few for the night. We unpacked and then I started the fire with the 5 trees. Yes I'm not exaggerating as the pieces of wood was as big as my thigh...
I did get after a bit of sweat the fire burning and then waited for it to get just right for our Skaap chops Image mum was busy making a greensalad, getting the potato salad from the fridge and some pickled beetroot. THe whole time we saw thunderclouds coming closer and the lightning. With that baba hyena visited us. I left my camera in the car as I wanted to chill the moment I got at the tent so I enjoyed the sighting while sipping on my KPA. Just as I took the meat off the fire it started to rain, yes we were very lucky and we ate like kings that night. We kuiered a bit while mum bbm'd all the family stating that they wouldn't believe how many km's we drove in 12 hours... 181 km Image then as I finished my last KPA we moved into the tent to get ready to go to bed. It was raining lekker and just so peaceful. I was sitting on the bed when mum asked: 'Heks what is on the roof?'
Heks: 'a bug mum'
Heks mum: 'Its a scorpion'
heks: 'no mum....' heks stand on bed 'get the plakkie its a scorpion'
So I take a pot to try to get him from the roof to the floor so mum can get rid of this yellow mean motherbug.
After two tries to get him from the roof I succeed just to find that we don't know where he fell Image ya lekker blonde I know. And then after searching for a few minutes we decide to leave him be. And then go to sleep.
Well I can say was that it wasn't such a lekker peaceful sleep, as I had scorpimares... I actually woke up and told my mum that its on the wall-imagining the scorpion... Image

tbc

25+26 April Skuks

12 Jul Tambotie
13-15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:53 pm 
The Storm vs Heksies broom... Image

So I wake up bright and early at 4 in the morning. Waking up poor sleeping mother as well and shooing her off to the communal to get clean and ready for our trip. Image All squeeky clean and ready for the day, well not quite ready, I whip up a MMC and chat with cheetah hearing that it is raining a lot at Skuks while we are enjoying a bit of a drizzle...
Here I am having the brekkie of champions---well of Angels Image
Image ... ya I know not the best kiekie taken, but who looks good in the mornings?

So we pack the car and take on the drizzle, we heard that the famous tree climbing golden kitties was in a sausage tree on the S28 from our wonderful neighbours so we go that way... The first 5km is great an we see a willie
We found the sausage tree but now golden kitties... Oh well, on we go. And then it really started pouring down. Now I believe that I'm a true purist, always drive with the window open, well I tried and after 20 minutes it looked like I showered with my clothes on. Here is a kiekie that my mum took with her phone

We didn't see much even driving 10km/h... and then after many km's we had this buddy that enjoyed the rain immensely Image

We also got to see a zeb that looked like he needed a wash

At last we got to the tar road and then this is where the fun started...
The first animal to greet us on the H4-2 was a terry Image

So we get close to Lower Sabie and cautiously pass a JJ, now both of us look at the road in front of us trying not to kill an defenseless animal in the road, and that is when we saw... Image something cross the road... something big, with big paws....
WE both shout out at the same time translated 'LION'!!!!
And now the fight begins cause JJ saw them too and another car behind us...
What do I do?
Race towards the Golden Kitty to be there first?
Let all the cars race past me?
Decisions... decisions... Image

Well, we all behave ourselves very well, there were 3 males playing around in the road, walking to the one side and then to the other... We all drive in a single row except Mrs Dumb and her daughter that literally drove between all the cars and the walking lions, right next to them Image Well I did get a few lekker kiekies so I couldn't complain. These kiekies are before all the cars pass me.

And then they all pass, the kitties walk left and then right, they don't really know what they want to do but they are very playful. And when on the left hand side they disappear for a while, then reappear and two cross the road and walk towards the river. Now all the cars race off to take kiekies of the two brothers but us and the JJ decide otherwise because there are mos 3 of them, we sit and wait. I park beautifully so mum can take superbious kiekies. And the kitty comes, mum starts taking the kiekies, the kitty walks towards us, he is about 1m from mum. She freezes with her head halfway out the window and I'm thinking WTH... I take these instantly while she recuperates... He pass the front of my car and follow then his brothers to the river... Kitty is gone but I did take lekker kiekies. Image

So after the kitties are way gone I ask mum what happened, and she said she had a brainfart. Didn't know if she should pet the cat, take a kiekie, get in the car or just run... Image She did take a very nice up close kiekie and I will post it tomorrow. We had a lekker laugh about this with the last stretch towards Lower Sabie. Where we had got some coffee and freshen up. Then I checked the time. We still had about 3 hours before we have to meet up with Leach, Sparrow, James and Gerharddb at Nkuhlu so we get in the car to go visit Mlondozi. Image

tbc

25+26 April Skuks

12 Jul Tambotie
13-15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:39 pm 
Hello guys, will reply to your comments now. As promised here is 2 kiekies pirated from my mums cam Image

Here is my 5 tree fire..

ANd this was mums last kiekie before she froze of the golden kitty

25+26 April Skuks

12 Jul Tambotie
13-15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:10 pm 
South can be a birders paradise... or for a duckling such as myself

On our way to S29 we cross the low water bridge and is greeted to my bird sighting of the weekend. Image HAve never seen so many together, i do guess that 2 are juveniles and mommy was feeding them... Lo and behold the Giant Kinfgishers of Lower Sabie

Now you guys can imagine how my camera was starting to smoke while I was whirring away with this first ever seen sighting. It really was a special one for me. And after baba birdie at her brekkie we decided to move on so that we won't be late for our meet and greet. Just to be quite honest, I am a very good driver and I believe that after this weekend a Getz can be a 4x4 and I am more than able to do a 4x4 trial Image THis is what we drove through on the S29

We saw a single Spurfowl

a smallish Kruger cow herd

a cute steenbokkie

Just before the turn of mlondozi we caught up to Mr Leachyness again and reminded him of our meeting at Nkuhlu. We then took the torturous road to Mlondozi that paid off at the end. The dam was full and it was lush and green there. It was an absolute treat to be there and see the waterbuck and hippos there enjoying themselves

We left happy and then these where our sightings to the tar road...
Out first LBR for the trip Image

White bellied korhaan... but i can be mistaken here

an unmentionable minding his own business

and then lastly a magpie shrike

See time was ticking by, my mum kept saying that I'm not honourable because I mentioned that they all are Krugerians and wouldn't mind if I'm late as they know that the bush can make you late. No Image she said, we are Waylands and we will keep to our arranged time... and I had feed my poor broom more Amarula so we can pick up some speed... Image

Did we make it on time?

tbc

25+26 April Skuks

12 Jul Tambotie
13-15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:30 pm 
Meeting new people.... and making them family

Now we get on the tar road and mum is hassling me about our meet so I say that we will make it, just take a chill pill we are in Kruger Image
First we get to see our second buff herd in an hour, and we just missed them crossing the road, darn it!!! we stop next to these people that we have seen in our camp as well as chatted to a brief moment at Mlondozi. And the auntie says that her husband is counting is livestock so they will be there for a while. We laughed a bit about it and bid our farewell as I had a meeting to attend.

Then the Kruger has spoken, she said don't even try to speed on my roads and then she gooied an ellie to ensure that we adhere our 25 km/h rule

We get to the LS low water bridge and then the cousin of the three kingies came to say ola Image

Then no stop at sunset dam on mums orders... Heksie no being late!!!!!!!!! Image on our way we do get to see a fluffy waterbuck

and what I can ID with not a lot of vigour, I am not 100% sure if I'm correct Image Can this uhm, ne, be a Lanner Falcon...

and a juvenile Martial eagle

And then we were there, Phew, just 20 minutes late Image now we start searching for forumites... We do see a bakkie with a sharks flag and YR but now how to know what does the mite look like Image Not like we said. Hey guys wear something yellow today... At least we knew what Leachyness looks like but we didnt see his car there. Me and mum stroll around and then go sit in front of this 3 nice looking okes sitting at a table. And we check the surroundings for any animals when I hear again HEKSIE We turn around and look up and then see Leachyness. This is how I remember the conversation...
Heks: Come join us down here...
Leach: Now where are your congregation?
Heks: I don't know...
Leach: Have you phoned them?
Heks: No signal...
Leach: Have you seen none of them?
Heks: I don't know what they look like...
Sparrow: Are you looking for us?
Heks: Maybe. Are you guys waiting for us?
ANd ya guys they were the 3 guys sitting behind us the whole time. So as you know all the formalities follows and we all sit and start chatting away. I know very bad of us, but we didn't take one kiekie, because so much man hotness can not be shared with the forum.Image After about 90 minutes talking and laughing, yes alot of stomach holding and laughing, us gals didn't have to say anything because the men were very entertaining. We bid farewell to eachother with Gerharddb and bro going to skuks, and then Leach, Sparrow, mum and me on our way to LS. We followed Sparrow all the way to LS and he was a gentlemen, stopping and when he sees something pointing it out for us to see everytime.
We were at this water monitor sighting ne. And the few that know me, knows that if there are a Image at a sighting behaving badly I don't stay quiet, and as I was busy taking kiekies this oke just pass everybody and chase away the monitor well I shared Image with him as he passed. I mean there are people that has never seen one in their lifes and he was very inconsiderate. Well here is my kiekie of the monitor just before he got scared away.

We said goodbye to Sparrow for a second time at LS and then we went on our way to Croc bridge via H4-2 then Gomodwane to Dukes waterhole then S28 to the camp.
This is what the road looked like. Yes and at Duke there was this SUV that was too scared to drive over the puddle we had already crossed.

Then the next animals we saw on these dirt roads:
warties scuffling a bit

a zebbie eating gracefully

a imp trying to wink at us with her ear

a steenbokkie posing perfectly

a unmentionable slurping up water (you heard him slooshing in the water, drinking and eating at the same time)

Then on two trees next to eachother a bateleur

wahlberg eagle

and a Tawny eagle

Then another funny moment, we saw this hyena in the road walking this way then that way, not really knowing where he wants to be. Stopping and taking kiekies when he allows us to. Then he decides to to walk to a tree on mums side,

from there he sees zebbies and decide this not the place he wants to be and make a U-turn and start running back in the path he took that way. Now I stopped right inline with that path and thought again, very smart let the kiekies commence. Taking my action shots as the hyena runs straight at us. And just when the hyena is about 3m from us and I'm going kiekie crazy again I see the window starts going up... Image What the frikkadel!!!! And a scoffle commences where mum are stating that the hyena wanted her for dinner Image Yes for dinner... I was like what? we are in a car! the hyena was following the path! And she still stands firmly with her statement that I would've been motherless if it wasn't for her quick thinking of closing the window. Here was my last kiekie of the hyena...

Does he look bloodthirsty?Image

Just before we reach the camp there was a tower of giraffes with babas Image

and a close up of the red billed oxpecker

That night we got to the tent exhausted. I bought charcoal, will not buy wood again without bringing an axe. And in a light drizzle I made a fire, braaied boerewors while mum made salad. We had a delicious dinner and then some Amarula on ice while listening to the night sounds. It didn't take long till I said that I want to lie down a bit. Ok passing out immediately Image

tbc

25+26 April Skuks

12 Jul Tambotie
13-15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:06 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I'm so glad that you could meet up with some fellow mites and nothing better that lots of laughter :D such a lovely episode :) that road sure does look muddy :roll: and love the impala with the bent ear :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:02 pm 
Crawling along to the exit...

We woke up early like every morning but this time it was drizzling and we had to pack up Image The packing was quick and then we showered while my mum was getting her camera and handbag I heard the bushbabies that Wendy telling me about. We searched and voila in the rooftop of the bungalow next to us they where hiding.

We packed our last things and miraculously it stopped raining. Image And we bid farewell to Crocbridge as we were on our way to Phabeni to exit. We just left the camp when we were greeted by our first BIG5 member. They were lounging in the grass all still sleepy.

And not even 100m past the buffs we reached our first roadblock of about 5 cars. And what my this block on the road hold for us? Image
2 Kitty-cats still very sleepy

We had to drive on as I was on a tight leash. We had 7 hours to reach Phabeni. My mum had to go to church and there was no arguing with her. On the H4-2 we were greeted by ellies

and a lonesome vulture

Then a groot meneer was walking to us and mommy dearest started to get panicky Image I stood still and then reversed when I had to. He was all chilled out and went into the bushes about 5m from our car. They are gentle giants, you should just not test them

Just before Mlondozi turn off we were greeted by a pair of loving kitty-cats. My mum just kept on saying that he looked very sad. She was lying flat so I didn't take kiekies of her. I knew they were a breeding pair and was allowed to sit with them for 15 minutes but then mum so it is time to move on my child... Image

Goddbye my kitties and on we moved towards Lower Sabie. A slippery landsnail asked us for directions on our way and we kindly obliged

And then close to where we had our lion sighting the previous day we saw 3 ladies sleeping on a sandbed in the Sabie river. Now that is what I think is a lekker thing to do.

We arrived at Lower Sabie 30 minutes late and still we made time to drink a coffee at Lower Sabie. We also saw Gerharddb and bro and told them about all the kitties. At lake Panic I took a few kiekies of birdies.
3 banded Plover

Wahlberg stretching his wings

On Eloff street we were entertained by furry vervets. This particular one was busy eating a seed of some sort.

And then I always stop for these. Just show you that good can come out of shitty situations

We met Cheetah2111 on the road and was told about the nyalas of which we saw nothing. But it was so nice to see him again. We have become great friends on the forum and I believe a lot of the mites can concur that we have cause quite a few stirs on certain topics.Image

We said our goodbyes and later on the road we saw a bushbuck lady with a baby. (COuldn't take a nice kiekie of the baby as she was in hiding)

At Skuks I got a BBM about a leppie on the Lake Panic road and as we didn't see any leppies that trip I decided to take the chance as it was on our way to the S1 and we still had time. We turned onto the road and another BBM came through warning us not to go check out the leppie which was very strange. I wondered why till I got to the 'sighting' There were a lot of cars for such a little road and we waited in a long cue. Everybody behave well and we did move on slowly but surely until this douche hooted a few times behind us and then past all of us! Image The leopard stood up and jumped out of the tree and disappeared into the distance. We were sooooooooooo close just to miss out on our leppie. Image The rest of the road was very quiet with some general game and a few birdies. I was lucky enough to see some hamerkop just before Phabeni Gate and was glad that my trip was finishing with such a special sighting. We left the park with sad faces (but I was also thinking about my 2 upcoming trips in November and December so I knew it won't be too long till we meet again)
We took the long road home and mum got to go to church that evening. This was an amazing trip with a lot of friends that I met and great sightings that I could share with my mum. We have booked another 2 trips for 2013. July 5 days and August the long weekend so more entertainment will be coming your way this year.

25+26 April Skuks

12 Jul Tambotie
13-15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]