Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 3
 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: PetraJ How am I going to cope in KTP without a hairdryer '12
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:56 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Soooo, I decided we need a bit of a break from guests and tours in KNP, and do something that I feel would make a small difference in our lives.

I saw a post from Kgalagadi Guru, where he asked for volunteers to help with the Kids in the Parks project, and after discussing it with Scipio, checking our bookings for September and made a few changes, I mailed KG and put our names up as voluteers.

Not even 20 minutes later the reply came that we are going to Kgalagadi :dance:
Not only to Kgalagadi but to Gemsbokplein, which is apparently in the middle of nowhere, with no electricity and no cell phone reception. :big_eyes:

After all the excitement (on my part) settled down a bit, I realised the following:

1. I know absolutely nothing about Kgalagadi, except what I read on the forum
2. I am going to work and help with 500 kids looking like a hooligan, because there is no electricity to use my hairdryer.
3. No electric blanket, because once again there is no electricity.
4. The lions like dark haired women, so not allowed to sit my foot out of the truck after dark.

Then I thought, maybe if I start this new trip report on this special trip, to share with you how I experience the BIG Kgalagadi, there could be other angels, who could also benefit from this. :tongue:

Post subject: Re: How am I going to cope in Kgalagadi without a hairdryer.
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:48 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

We were walking in this caravan shop yesterday, and there displayed on the shelf were this cute little hairdryer which you plug into the cigarette lighter of your vehicle. I picked it up and wanted to show Scipio, and when he saw what I was holding in my hands his response was: 'Over my dead body will you buy that and take it with'

Now I want to know, why do they sell that kind of equipment if I am not allowed to buy and use it? :tongue: It is unfair to us Angels, especially if we only want to look good for our SO's every day :wall:

Not sure about that one Val, but can find out for you and let you know :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:19 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

A few words of wisdom from a true "KTP-ian"

Don't cut your hair..longer hair is easier to put in a "clippie'
Take extra "clippies" in case "clippies" break...
AND "clippies" do break cos one tends to leave it on your seat and then it prompyly gets sat on.
The shops in the KTP do not sell replacement "clippies" :roll: :evil:
BTW...I am English speaking....when I refer to "clippies" I mean "clippies" and not "Klippies"...... :wink:
Ditch the idea of those "cigarette lighter" hair dryers...they are useless and you could be spending the time game viewing.
The water in the KTP has a mind of it's own and makes me terribly itchy but strangely enough it calms my hair down somewhat....no conditioner needed whatsoever...just wash ,rinse...wind dry( 2 mins flat) and "clippie" up out of the way !!! Way quicker than a blow-dry !!!

If you are "cold" grab a hot water bottle...if you are" hot" grab a cold shower...and accidently drag your sheet into the shower with you. Your sheet will then have to dry out..place sheet over body...sheet will dry in a few minutes. If you are still hot repeat procedure from beginning...:)
Oh if you are cold...really cold...your hot water bottle has run out...reheat water in hot water bottle and you will soon be smiling...
Oh ...if you get gritty red sand in your shoes...and especially between your toes...you have had it !!!!
You will want to empty your shoes of this sand when you get home but you will regret it....and you will head straight back to the KTP in order to feel that gritty sand between your toes again...
In essence...the KTP teaches you about life..teaches you about "being"...you do not need a fancy hairstyle to "be"

PetraJ...you are going to love it..especially seeing that you are giving of your time to help out with the Kids in Park..
They will love you regardless of your hairstyle...and if Scipio has a problem with your "clippie"...shut him up with a "Klippie"...that is if he partakes in a "Klippie " or two....:) :)

Jokes aside..have a wonderful time in the KTP..... :mrgreen:
I am looking forward to your "impressions" of what I class as one of the most special places on this earth !!!! :)

:) :) :) :) :)

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:33 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

But to all the Angels giving PJ some tips, I cannot count the days to show her the Magic that is The Red Sands. :k

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:00 pm 

Best Scipio leaves the Brulcream behind....unless of course he wants to argue with biggest Brul-er of the lot !!!!

:) :) :) :) :)

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:57 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Excellent idea the clippies :hmz: Somewhere there is a pic of me wearing curlers, pajamas and slippers on the deck of Lower Sabie, together with some other angels ... sure the clippies will be much better looking :twisted:

Just received the first parcel to be transported to the Tsammaland school, so now there is really no space for the hairdryer. Just have to accept that fact :(

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:55 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Just to make PJ drool a bit.............. :lol:

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:27 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Sharifa, :clap: :clap:

And one from KTP just for fun.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:13 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Award: Travel tale of the Year - Other Parks (2012)
Great topic PetraJ :dance:

Just remember to be carefull when going to the loo!!! :twisted:

Christmas Trees in the Kalahari May 2012

http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=62684

and

Kalahari Reflections March 2014

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:18 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Good morning everyone.
Got the truck back yesterday after the service and leaving now in 3 days to Kgalagadi. Some boxes been delivered with books already, waiting for a computer to be delivered, and found a cricket set which we will take as our contribution.
Then the cleaning of the truck, (they also spray painted it, and it looks goooooooood) need to do our shopping, cleaning the watertank, and fill up tonight otherwise a full tank will cost us R200 more by tomorrow :big_eyes:

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:21 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I cannot believe that we are leaving for the Kgalagadi tomorrow evening. We decided that Scips will have dinner ready by the time I get home tomorrow at about 17h00. The truck will be packed, watertank filled and after we ate, we gonna have a sleep till about 22h00... and then off we go... :dance: We usually travel about 80 - 100km/hour on the "open" road, to save on fuel, so we are going to do it slowly and leasurely. We also decided to do the Hotazel and Ashkam roads. Some cardboard boxes already set aside for sliding down some dunes... :twisted: I am so excited, I think I am going to awol tomorrow ( I wont be able to concentrate on work anyway :twisted: ) If I can just get past my Professor...

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:33 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Transport and accommodation sorted, a last few things to be packed, a quick nap and then... off we go to Kgalagadi at about 23h00 :dance:
See you all when we return on the 18th. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:21 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks for the good wishes all, we hope to bring back not only some pic's, but also great memories. 8) We are off on a bit, and will clock in somewhere close to Tweerivieren tomorrow, as we are taking the scenic route. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:35 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi from Twee Rivierin. We are in camp to stock up while waiting for the next group of Kids to arrive.... and so far I am surviving without the hair dryer. Luckily I have a little Kids in Parks cap that I am wearing, so it is all right :twisted: We have been blessed with 4 beautifull cheetahs and I saw my first Kalahari lions IN the Actherlonie picnic site. We have some awesome pics. Oh ja, and this morning saw two Eland :dance:

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:48 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

PJ looks like a Zepplin Dive bomber from world war 2 with the hairs sticking from the cap, and I have pic's. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next