Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 3 of 3
 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Through the Eyes of a Sparrow
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:54 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Right Gang I said I would be back and here I am.

All comments are greatly appreciated and Im happy that you are enjoying this TR as much as Im enjoying reporting it.

Leachy if you are talking about nightclub clothing maybe it was an ostrich doing the gumb boot dance.

Caravan hitched up and second at gate off I set down the H1-3 towards Lower Sabie. We normally take the H10 over the pass and get out at the Nkumba lookout to survey the savannah below, but I decided that with the caravan behind and having been chased by ellies for the past four years I decided to go down the H1-2 over the H12 and onto the H4-1 towards Lwer Sabie.

Just before Tshokwane I slowed down to a crawl hoping to find this magnificant fellow in his favourite place, but to no avail.

898 by Russelg, on Flickr

However I did find these little uns how didn`t stay around for long.

111 by Russelg, on Flickr

After a wee wee break coffee and rusks at Tshoks off I set again.

Oh I almost forgot to show my visitor who wished me safe travels and plenty of good sightings.

845 by Russelg, on Flickr

Eventually after a rather dreary trip with not much to see I eventually got a picture which I think is the best one in my collection of this most Regal bird.

571 by Russelg, on Flickr

Well I arrived at LS set up camp and found my little namesake at another campsite who was quite content with me taking his picture.

122 by Russelg, on Flickr

After a small snack and a beverage I set of for Mlondozi and found these inhabitants on the way.

127 by Russelg, on Flickr

140 by Russelg, on Flickr

And this fella who looked as tho he had had a mud pack and forgotten to take a proper shower before leaving the salon

136 by Russelg, on Flickr.

I left Mlondozi happy with the knowledge that it had quite a bit more water than last year and headed down the Mondozi Road back onto the H4-2 and then onto the S28 where these fellows caused a

143 by Russelg, on Flickr

crossing just before Dukes Waterhole.

Back onto the H4-2 towards Croc Bridge where this little chap kept me enterained for a while.

144 by Russelg, on Flickr

I had been out for quite a while now and the WC at Croc Bridge was beckoning so I popped in there got an icecream , back all comfortable in the car I set off again to what must be one of or the most memorable sighting of the trip.

Right Gang there are quite a few :cam: already posted so I will continue tomorrow.

I will be back.

BELIEVE.

Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished Lao Tzu

Shingwedzi 27/12/14 to 30/12/14
Satara 31/12/14 to 04/01/15
Lower Sabie 05/01/15 to 10/01/15

Last edited by Sparrow on Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:29 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Howzit gang I`m back. Sorry it took so long, but tanx for all the encouragement and comments.

Well as promised let me get on with my best sighting of the trip.

It was back onto the H4-2 and just after the H5 turn I happened to look out the left hand window (remember I was alone on this trip) and I saw an ear/tail move. I came to a suuden halt and almost went through the windscreen as I had just changed my car and it is the first automatic I`ve had so both feet applied the brake at the same time and the result was an immediate STOP.

Well after a bit of backwards and forwards movements this is what appeared.

147 by Russelg, on Flickr

Well I stuck around and waited coz if there is one dog there should be more and I was magnificantly rewarded for my patience.

I think the pictures will tell the story by themselves.

152 by Russelg, on Flickr

178 by Russelg, on Flickr

287 by Russelg, on Flickr

231 by Russelg, on Flickr

200 by Russelg, on Flickr

210 by Russelg, on Flickr

196 by Russelg, on Flickr

This little chap was so interested in my yellow ribbon I thought that he was going to come and try to take it off as baby hyenas had tried to do on a previous visit.

213 by Russelg, on Flickr

I was so absorbed with this magnificant sighting that I hadn`t noticed that I was the last car there and gate closing time was just around the corner and still had about 20kms to go to camp. So I said goodbye set the autocruise at 40kms and set off.

Just before the gate I came across this anti rhino poaching gang with their tracker.

ATT7 by Russelg, on Flickr

I made camp just in time and went to the deck ordered an ice cold draught and sat and reflected on the day and what Mother Nature had dished up.

I will be back

BELIEVE.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:47 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Howzit Gang I`m back with some more, and tanx for following and the remarks.

Well as I said previously that I just made gate closing time is that as there was some sort of sunset this evening I thought I had better get a pic over Sunset dam.

299 by Russelg, on Flickr

and later on that evening whilst relaxing with a moron and coke this slither of a moon put in an appearance.

302 by Russelg, on Flickr

Well it was off to bed as I wanted to be up very early and head off to Lake Panic which I did and encountered these park dwellers on the way.

319 by Russelg, on Flickr

324 by Russelg, on Flickr

328 by Russelg, on Flickr

327 by Russelg, on Flickr

I got to the Lake but the light was not at all good so I took some pic`s to prove I had been there

333 by Russelg, on Flickr

340 by Russelg, on Flickr

341 by Russelg, on Flickr

And a special one for Heksie as we all know she loves her fish.

457 by Russelg, on Flickr

Whilst I was just vegitating in the corner I heard the word Wild Dogs on the H1-1 so as calmly as I could packed the flask and camera away and went in search.

I could not believe my luck 2 packs in 2 days and without the caravan in tow.

119 by Russelg, on Flickr

121 by Russelg, on Flickr

143 by Russelg, on Flickr

158 by Russelg, on Flickr

165 by Russelg, on Flickr

I think I have over spent my quota of pics so I had better post this episode and carry on later.

I will be back.

BELIEVE

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:12 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi again Gang time for some more, but before I carry on there is one more tale to tell that rather amused me.

I left the dogs with a very happy heart as both packs that I had now seen both had a litter of 8 pups each and my feeling was that they are alive and well and increasing in numbers all by themselves.

Well the tale goes like this.

I rounded a bend in the road a came upon a Landrover bakkie parked on the side so I pulled up alongside to enquire what they may have spotted.

Sitting in the front seat all by himself was this rather large gentleman dressed in a polka dot shirt and braces with a large walruss type moustache peering out of the passenger window.

The conversation went like this (try to imagine the accent of two upperclass English gentleman sitting in the London Mens Club sipping a congac and smoking cigars).

Me: "I say man what is it that you are observing"
Polka Dot: with a rather disdainful look " The flaars old boy"
Me: " Flaars flaars" rather puzzeled.
Polka Dot: rather annoyed " Yes old boy the FLAARS
Well being rather mystified as to what the flaars could be I retorted " well wear the fox hat" and went on my merry way.

The following day before our mini meet at Nkuhlu I went to see if I could find these flaars and when I got to the spot it dawned on me. This is what flaars look like.

464 by Russelg, on Flickr

463 by Russelg, on Flickr.

Well thats it for now and I hope the Mods allow me a bit of poetic licence.

I will be back.

BELIEVE.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:12 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I don`t believe it but I have been typing for half an hour and then we got a power dip and pooooof aaallllll gone.
So let me start again and pleaqse hold :thumbs_up: that I can get it done.

Well seeing that our mini meet that Heksie had arranged was approaching I decided to take a short drive and look for some real estate for my retirement and came across this gem of a property.

386 by Russelg, on Flickr

I am sure that with a bit of imagination and a lot of architecture we could transform this into a palace and get the water piped from Mlondozi Dam. Once sorted ALL are welcome to visit.

Well it was back to Nkuhlu where I met up with Heksie and Mom, Gerhardb and boet and Leachy. After about an hour of exchanging stories and sightings with much laughter and feeling as tho we had known each other for years (Tanx FORUM) we decided that there were many more sightings awaiting us out there in the bush.
But before we left we decided that a Wacktazz Buff Pastrie was a neccessity and went into the shop to purchase. We were informed that there was no buff meat and that these pastries had not be made for weeks. (What a BUMMER).

Anyway we All went on our seperate ways and I headed back towards Lower Sabie and turned onto the H10 over the Sabie River where I was met by these two fella`s.

374 by Russelg, on Flickr

Just love his little beard.

376 by Russelg, on Flickr

Well up the hill and just around the bend this breeding herd block the road.

379 by Russelg, on Flickr.

After a short while watching them a little bird kept knocking at my brain saying get back onto the H4-2 and head towards Croc Bridge do not pass go and collect R200.00 but keep on going straight.
Is it intuition or just good luck but this is what Mother Nuture dished up for me.

478 by Russelg, on Flickr

484 by Russelg, on Flickr

Well she didn`t stick around for long and seeing that it was getting late and that I had to still pack up camp as I was leaving for home the next day I decided to call it a day and head for camp.
However before I got to camp these chaps came to say goodbye safe trip and tanx for visiting.

494 by Russelg, on Flickr

495 by Russelg, on Flickr

498 by Russelg, on Flickr

Well that was my last full day in the Park and what a day it had been.

Back at camp caravan packed tummy full I sat in my chair with a Capt Moron in the slight drizzle nogal and reflected on what I had been blessed with over the last 6 days.

I think that ALL of you will agree that I had, had a rather splendid time.

I will be Back even if it`s for the last 3 hours of my visit.

Believe

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:51 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Howzit Gang better later than never but here is the final episode and curtain call.

Well the alarm went off at 4.30am got up to a light rain, brushed the ivories got hot water made coffee and hitched up the caravan for the long trek home.

I said goodbye to the resident tortie,

411 by Russelg, on Flickr

and headed for the gate. Here I turned left on the H4-2 and headed towards Croc Bridge for my last drive in OUR PLACE for 2012.

It was at a very sedate pace as I had all day to arrive at my destination and just sat back and listened to the sound of the bush daydreaming of what I was priveledged to have witnessed over the past 7 days when this slithery creature crossed the road and afforded me a picture.

409 by Russelg, on Flickr

Once again the left hand window proved to be the place to sit (I wonder how much I had missed over the past week without Sparrow Hawk as my second set of eyes).
Anyway as luck had it this rather fat cat appeared all by herself and I thought to myself maybe she was looking for a place to have her babies.

412 by Russelg, on Flickr

413 by Russelg, on Flickr

She didn`t stick around so I carried on and bumped into Heksie and Mom who were both looking excited and they told me that about a further 5 kms on there was a mating pair of Golden Kitties. I said my goodbyes and pushed on and found this magnificant pair.

She looked rather threatening but he was rather relaxed.

421 by Russelg, on Flickr

423 by Russelg, on Flickr

420 by Russelg, on Flickr

As more and more cars arrived and having the caravan in tow I decided to push on and start the journey back home.

Just before Croc Bridge this well horned fella gave me a send off.

426 by Russelg, on Flickr

Well with a happy and grateful heart I exited Croc Bridge and relished a week well spent in PARADISE and headed for home via Swaziland.

Once again I thank you All for following me on my adventure and I promise I will be back.
Hopefully with a TR from KTP which I hope to visit in March provided that the trailer is complete by then.

Until we meet again.

BELIEVE

:thanx:

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:48 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Howzit Gang.

Hilda hoping to be at the KTP Cricket weekend so will miss you as your dates show.

Spargs Shot man pity you won`t be there.

Trrp Yeah that torti is made at each site we pitch our caravan on. But with new stones each time.

Kallis great to have had you on board. Will let you know the next time we go.

Pumba tanx for your participation and encouraging comments. So glad you enjoyed the trip.

Philip that torti has been made at each site for the past 12 years. A KNP tradition.

Noel It`s been a pleasure having you on board. Check below for trailer phase 1.

Sharifa tanx for joining our lekker trip.

M.M. that homesick, sickness feeling is one worth having. Enjoy your trip.

Hey Gang just realized that this time each year we would be hitching up the caravan for 2 blissfull weeks in the Park but unfortunately not this year. To much home maintenance and KTP in March and only having been there in October. HOMESICK feeling creeping in. Who knows maybe in January depending on the trailer.

Here is Phase 1 of trailer build. Its going to be a multipurpose one. As is at the moment garden refuse and general cargo trailer with the box being removable.
Phase 2 The top box with stove, fridge and storage area etc with roof top tent in the building phase.

013 by Russelg, on Flickr

I shut down tomorrow for a month so if I don`t hear from you I take this oppurtunity to wish you and your loved ones a Very Merry Christmas and a Prosperous, Wealthy, Healthy and Fantastic 2013.
To those of you travelling do it safe and arrive alive, to those staying at home relax and have a JOL.
:gflower: :gflower: :gflower: :gflower: :gflower: :gflower: :gflower: :gflower: :gflower: :gflower: :gflower:

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:32 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Happy holidays Sparrow.

Wishing you a great Christmas. This was taken before our brief meeting earlier this year.

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:04 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

barryels, Carol g Elsa and All the gang tanx for making this trip a pleasure to report, it was great having you all aboard. Next stop KTP and mind the gap.

Howzit MM, I think this was the same chap.

I see you also managed to get a pic of me in the background (silver VW)

762 by Russelg, on Flickr

Anyway folks enjoy your HOLS drive safe and arrive alive.

BELIEVE

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3