Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Heksie Binocs and Broomsticks September 2012
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:36 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2013)
So this is a TR that was suppose to start a long time ago...
This trip was the 3 days before Mr Cheetah made his appearance, I invited 3 friends of mine to join me at Sabie Park for the week and a bonus was that they never visited the Kruger before so I was there during their first sightings of everything and this trip did not disappoint at all Image
My friend just love rhinos, and our mission was only to spot one for her. She is like the number one fan of rhinos, she has rhino bracelets, necklaces etc etc so they came along to fulfill het life long dream to see one in the wild Image

We left on the Sunday morning at 3:00. I love driving Schoemans Kloof (s36) I think but that morning was another ordeal... I almost killed 3 bambies on that road Image But as I am a competent driver they lived to see another day :thumbs_up:
We reached Sabie Park and unpacked and without time to waste went to Skuks to have some breakfast-which was very lekker. We had boerie rolls whilst the okes had a BIIIIG breakfast consisting of wors, pap, sheba, and lots more Image

This is what we saw on our morning drive...
A buff with his bling bling dangling

a small croc from the deck at Skuks

yellow billed hornbill

a hippo on the Kruger bridge

some fishies

the view from the Kruger bridge... doesn't look like there were any flood

We didn't drive any other roads except the H11 because we had a long drive that morning to Kruger. So out of the Park we went. At camp I tested my photographic 'artsy fartsy' skills... while my friends went for a swim

and our pet dragon came to visit... Now these monsters eat absolutely everything. From rice salad, to chicken bones and pasta. They are our own personal vacuum cleaners. And they are not afraid of us. While I'm taking kiekies of the tree stump he decides to walk up to me and greet me Image

tbc

12 Jul Tambotie
13 Jul Sable Hide
14+15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Post subject: Re: Binocs and Broomsticks
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:57 pm 
The Afternoon Drive
Now after their swim we decided to do some driving in the Kruger and in we went again Image

The gates awaited and as we enter the Kruger a special birdie greets us.Image
An African Grey Hornbill (a first for me)
We decide that because we have 4 hours we will drive the N4 to a Gate that I can't remember and then take the N1 back to the Kruger Gate. We turn on the N4 and behold an imp waiting to be photographed

Now us girls are driving my squeekems and the okes a Pajero, she is smoking skelmpies and apparently he knows nothing of it Image As we chat and scan the bush--->remember guys I have a 70/30 rule... 70% bush and 30% road to ensure that I don't drive over snakes and torties Image Thus sometimes if you see a white Fiat driving on the wrong side of the road with a YR then you will know that it is me checking out bushes...

Then as we chat all of a sudden a got the biggest skrik in my life as my friend acted like she had a seizure of some sort Image

RRRRRHHIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! she shouts while grabbing her camera not even giving me chance to stop and she starts snapping away... Her dream come true sommer on the first day Image wish our wishlists got scratched so easily as well. Well some people just have all the luck.
And you guys won't believe it... It is the first time that I saw an unmentionable on the N4 ---- you hear poachers!!!!! THE N4!!!!!!!
We didn't see 1

And we didn't see 2

3 wasn't our lucky number that day

Saying that we saw 4 unmentionables are just wrong Image

Because lady luck was on our side today and gave us a crash of 5 rhinos Image

My friend was very VERY happy with this sighting and was bubbling with joy while I was fuming at this sighting... Image

They saw me taking a kiekie and she climbed back in the car... Do they know what can happen if a wild animal comes from the back? Well, we moved on after 30 minutes as the clock was ticking and we had a long way to go still. And you wouldn't believe what we saw next... Image

Can you guys believe that?
Well we ad to stay a while for this unmentionable as well, and I was stressing because time was running out for Gate closing time... After a lot of begging we left her lovey to graze another day. On our way back it was only a blur for me as this was the first time that I had to do the full speed that was our limit and I was just checking the road because no animal will I kill today... We did stop for the following.
A Wartie for tannie VVV (although I don't have a koeking clue where she is)

And this beautiful sunset in the Park----yes we were late for the gate

As we reach the Gate they are busy locking it :big_eyes: and my bum is doing all sorts of acrobat tricks because of stress Image We had to stop at the outer Gate and explain to the ranger why we were 10 minutes late. Well I can say is that I had to whip up some magic and bat eyelashes and speak some Zulu to get us out of a fine Image he let us go...
That night we just chilled on the Stoep of the Kruger, drinking some Kruger Park Appletizers and listening to the bush. This is a place where I want to be every day.
tbc

12 Jul Tambotie
13 Jul Sable Hide
14+15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:01 pm 
Morning Drive
So I woke up like this, this morning Image
In the Kruger? NEVER!!! When my alarm went off I jumped up and as I left my room the smell of coffee invaded my nostrils. YUMMY!!!! Image I had a quick shower and then the breakfast of champions

This is how dark it was 5:30 in the morning at Sabie Park

I normally am a moaning witch when it comes to being at the gate before it opens but it was just so lekker sitting there and hearing the birdies waking up, with a slight breeze blowing in the bushes. I was just at peace there and then.
We entered the Park at 6:10 and it was very misty. Even with the mist we had nice sightings on the H11. We saw the following.
Giraffe

zebbies

and then we turned on the S1 where we saw a lekker family of ellies, they were very chill and allowed us to to take a lot of kiekies.
This one was playing with his food...

This one tried to be a contortionist...

And this one wore a toupee... Image

From there we turned onto the S65 (waterhole road) that was really quiet today. Image We only saw some birdies on this road.
White backed vultures

Yellow billed hornbill

European Bee eater

we crossed the sandbank which I call the sandriver because I have never seen water in there. That is where I saw the 2 leppies in December last year and I couldn't believe my eyes Image after the flood the river filled up and this is what was left after 2 months.

We turned left on the H1-1 and passed Klipspringerkoppies and guess what? That is where we found some rockjumpertjies that wasn't interested at all in getting their kiekies taken. They are my favorite bokkie and I was so glad to see them. Image

Just a pity that they didn't wanted to see the heksie Image I spoke to them nicely but maybe one of my sister jinxed a family member of theirs and they wrote us witches off... We left them in peace and then as we got to the H1-1/H3 junction I waved the boytjies down and asked them if they wanted to make our morning drive a day drive? Their decision was Image

tbc

12 Jul Tambotie
13 Jul Sable Hide
14+15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:55 pm 
The decision... to afsaal or not to afsaal Image
The boytjjies decided to drive in the direction of Afsaal, which road we took nobody knows. It could've been the gravel or tar roads for the sake of the unmentionables Image Now this road was this direction that we took was the highlight of the day. We saw something for my friend, we definitely saw something that I could tick of my LOOOOOOONG Kruger list, and WOW you guys just have to see the kiekie that I took Image

Now the sightings that we had on the direction of Afsaal was:
And you guys guessed it

Now with this sighting I got boiling mad again Image we drove a leisurely 30km/h checking bush and minding our own business when a JJ rush past us with the speed of Image way over the limit Image and then just as they pass us we say hello to a dust cloud because they spotted the unmentionables and stopped abruptly. Again my driving abilities had to be tested otherwise i would have kissed the JJ's butt Image How they are allowed to drive in the park only they know...
We stayed a while with these beautiful creatures grazing and we spoke about their behaviour etc. She took a gazilion kiekies and then we moved on. We saw other animals as well on our way to Afsaal.

a young kudu bull

a buffie chilling in a puddle

a beautiful european roller

and then a massive vrakkie that we failed to take a kiekie of. We were checking out this vrakkie and then the boytjies decided to pass us. after a while we moved on all happy chappy that we saw a humungous vrakkie and THEN Michelle screams CAT Image And as I turn into her direction I look into the eyes of a caracal Image We were like (loosely translated in English)
Michelle: Is it a cat?
Heksie: Its a.... Its a...
Michelle: What is it?
Heksie: Cccccaracal take kiekies!!!! "£$%^&*$£!!"£$$

and here is our proof that we saw a caracal
Well it was in that general area Image Yes we were to flabbergasted to take kiekies and then when we had our equipment ready he decided that he posed long enough and vanished in a flash.

We saw ellies that was too close for my comfort but very chilled

Just before we arrived at Afsaal we saw this beauty

We arrived at Afsaal and I told them that the forum says that this place has some of the best breakfasts. Image I'm sorry guys this breakfast is just awesome for okes that had a massive babelas cause everything was oily. I just enjoyed my pap and sheba-which was fantastic Image and there were flies everywhere. But forgetting that, I had a lekker experience there with the hornbils entertaining us. As we finished our breakfasts, visited the loos and stocked up on refreshments we decided which way to go...

tbc

12 Jul Tambotie
13 Jul Sable Hide
14+15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:18 pm 
The wrong road taken... but how much fun did we have

So with stomachs lined with oil and a lot of excitement we decide to go to back to Skuks via H2-2->S114... well what can I say, except to read the flood updates before you decide to take any road Image
Before we knew that this is what we saw, and being a stiffie on the rise I was elated to have a first sighting of a birdy that I searched for on my previous trip Image
I just have to say, that I drove this road once now, and it wasn't a road with any animal life but birds, I saw and bumpy, yes the road is full of that. My lock of the boot of my car went loose and i couldn't open it the rest of the trip, so the road is a no-no for small cars that rattles a lot Image
We stopped to just take a kiekie of this name plate, i actually stop at each one I see.

As ever the beautiful LBR that I have to take kiekies of wherever I go...

He didn't like us tourists a lot and told us off Image so we moved on to find friendlier animals

We then found tortie strolling about on his own mission

Ya, I know, this is all we saw until we got to what I think is the weir, we heard the fish eagle call in the distance and then took kiekies of this bootiful specimen

and then as we want to cross the road what greets us? Image as you guys guessed... A broken flooded bridge Image so we turn back to Afsaal to go to SKuks via H3, and I'm glad we did because then I saw my special new birdy Image
a Purple Roller (I know the kiekie isn't great but it is proof)

We drive back the H3 and decide to do the otherside of the weir and drive S23 and do a U-turn via S114 up to Skuks. We saw the following on this very very bad road... I'm just amazed that my car is still in a driving condition after that road. Eish it was like doing the elliptical machine (i think)at gym Image We did have nice sightings though...
A ellie digging a borehole of his own
and having something nice and refreshing to drink

At the S21/S114 T-junction we struck luck with 3 amigos walking towards us
I got a bit close and personal with one Image
It wasn't long until he told me that I wasn't really his type so I cried a bit on my friends shoulder an we moved on. We then saw lovey dovey zebs...
We didn't stay long with them and moved on, as we drove the S114 to get to the H1-1 we just hear this ruckuss and what a beautiful sight we had when we got to see past the leaves, it was like really watching bush TV Image THese ellies where having a lot of fun in a little water pool and they kept us entertained for a good 30 minutes

We left them and we were on our way to leave Kruger again, but not to worry to enter again tomorrow again. On the bridge I took a few kiekies of fishies again, they really interest me even though I don't look up what their names are.

Yes BB, if you ever read this, the Kruger bridge is the right place to go fishing Image

From there we went to Sabie Parks picnic spot, which we call the seekoeigat (Translated: hippohole)
This is our view of the Kruger

this is our 'hide' and you can see there in the water a buff chilling
Just see how close we are to Kruger, this is where I found my love for the Kruger, as I child I went there with my family almost every single holiday.
I had the luck to see my first Harrier Hawk as well today Image I know the kiekie is a bit pixelated-sorry
We were chased away from the picnic spot as it was getting too late now, and then we met very interesting people that showed us something extraordinary, this, if I can remember correctly is Moon, Mars and Mercury Image I can be wrong as this was 6 months ago but it was the moon and 2 planets...

We went home and had a lekker braai discussing what we experienced today. We ate Texan steak and potato salad and actually went to bed very early as we were exhausted. Image Tomorrow will be last day in the Kruger as I'm leaving at 1 to go to Pretoria to write and exam and pick up Cheets for our second leg of the trip...

tbc

12 Jul Tambotie
13 Jul Sable Hide
14+15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:22 pm 
Kruger saves best for last... and how she never disappoints

So I wake up a bit sad, I will be leaving today to go to Pretoors to write an exam tomorrow and I will be leaving my friends here... I will be gone for 36 hours from my beloved Kruger to study, write and pick up Cheets Image
i think she knew it and decided for all my effort she would grant me a spectacular day and guys it was one of the best drives ever Image

now mods I know the pic limit is 10 but this will be the last time I post so many pics in one episode-just want to finish up... Image

We arrived at the Gate and i get out my camera because I so want to be ready for any sighting coming our way. we turn on the S1 because this road has never let me down. Our first sighting was the impressive imp ladies...

And then in the front we saw a a barricade of JJ's. Eish there were 7/8 of them so we drove to them to find out what the fuss was about. Remember I drive a Palio which can't see over the Pretoriuskop grass, imagine trying to look over a JJ van.... Image Some where friendly enough to say that there is a leppie in the grass in the ditch... WHere? What? Who? Image We were searching and looking and moving and then... I take this horrible one shot of the leppie that was walking underneath the bridge.

He was there and then he was gone-we were searching for 20 good minutes while all the JJ's left and to no avail... We then decided to take the S65 where we were greeted with not a lot of animals but beautiful sightings still.

a Tawny

a shy duikertjie

a squirrel playing in the road-I just love watching these small critters...

a g-raff

we see no rockjumpertjies at klipspringerkoppie Image and then as we pass the H3 turnoff we see another traffic Jam. Well miss Sherlock heksie needs to investigate and on we go. We see golden kitties a bit far off but YEAH kitties!!!!!! Image

I enjoy my time with the faroff kitties because I love them so much and we have prime spot-and then the JJ brigade arrive-they stop next to us and we start chatting between kiekies. They tell us there is doggies on the H1-1 towards skuks and i decide to give them my spot. Of we hop down the H1-1 to see some doggies Image one thing that I never do is speed, well not to sightings as I'm so scared that I will drive past a better sighting. Which at least we didn't. I get to the brige just before the S112 turnoff and lo and behold what do I find...

and we get the best view as there were only 3 other cars there. They start moving into the road Image And this is one of those days that I'm so glad I have a small car because we were level with the doggies and Io believe my kiekies were superbious...

They got hold of a glove of the workers that was rebuilding the bridge, I guess and that is when the fun and clicking of the camera started. I took about 500 kiekies in the 40 minutes we were with them Image

Here a few of them were fighting over a piece and it looks like a group kiss...

And one enjoying a piece on the ground and also chilling...

It looked like he was chowing a vienna at a time...

And then some pics of the other doggies that entertained me that morning...

After satisfying my doggie craving we moved on as we were still to braai before I leave for the city. We climbed out at the Kruger bridge and I took a few kiekies there too...

We went to braai at the picnic spot and here is a kiekie of the manne handling the braai.

We had wors and braaibroodjies which was delish Image a BIG thumbs up to the chefs and then we went to our house so i can pack for the looooong drive home. Image This was really a wonderful trip and I just couldn't wait to get back in 36 hours...

12 Jul Tambotie
13 Jul Sable Hide
14+15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]