Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Jack101 My first TR!! Kruger July 2012 (Sep'12)
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:51 pm 

Hi all,

After having been introduced to the forums several month ago, I have hardly stopped browsing through the travel tales, webcams and all other parts of the site! And finally I have decided to join in and write my own TR. I would just like to give a bit of background before i get started so just bear with me for a bit :wink:

Since last year July I have been privileged enough to have visited Kruger 5 times, and I must say if I wasn't completely hooked before (which I definitely was) I sure am now! I have been debating with myself for a while to sit down and write a TR but just couldn't find the time! So I'll start off with my most recent trip which was in July this year ( as I'm sure you already know from the title :roll: ) and if I find the time will post my other trips. And just to let u know just how nuts I am about Kruger I'll let you know that one of them was a trek from Pafuri to Malelane in just 8 days.... And camping in a different place basically every night!!

So let's get going now :D
The plan was made in the beginning of July for 3 friends of mine from the states and myself to go to Kruger later that month. Unfortunately they only had 3 days to spare but we decided to go for it anyway! We found accommodation in Skukuza for 2 nights in a safari tent ( which was new to me, and I must say I was surprised by just how perfectly they suit my Kruger needs!) and then it was just playing the waiting game till the Sunday we planned to leave....

Finally the time comes and we all get into the car at 6 AM, heading to Croc Bridge gate. 6 hours later after an uneventful drive and some shopping in Malelane ,we arrive at a very windy Kruger!! One of my friends had never been here before and it really makes a trip amazing when everything you see is new and exciting to the people you're with! It really makes you appreciate all the "regular stuff" again.

The drive up the tars to Skukuza had no cats but we did see a lot of game which definitely made it worthwhile coming in at Croc Bridge instead of Paul Kruger (as a few friends suggested).

A family of girrafes was one of the 1st things we saw

Then this big guy
One of my favourite birds!
Close to lower sabie we found this in a tree
And then just a few randoms

We also saw a male nyala along the way but unfortunately no good photo opportunities.
Then after a long queue to check in we settled into out tent and watched the sun set from the porch. Then a quick braai, showers and lights out for a 5 30 wake up the next day..... And what a day it turned out to be!!

To be continued

Last edited by Jack101 on Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: My first TR!! Kruger July 2012
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:40 pm 

Thanks Crested Val for your comment! Glad you're enjoying.

The next morning we were all up before our alarm had a chance to off! So we made a quick cup of coffee and went to wait by the gate. Despite it being 5 45 we were already a few cars behind the first :wall: In the car we decided to take the H1-2 to the H12 via the Marula loop and then take the H4-1 to Lower Sabie (we had heard there were good sightings on this road yesterday) and then head back to camp.

So with our route planned we drove out of the gate with ours eyes peeled for any animals. At one of the bridges on the H1-2 (can't remember which one :redface:) we saw this hippo standing in the water.
Then a spectacular sunrise followed
We carried on over the bridge to the H4-1 and all seemed quite... then on the road ahead we saw 3 huge animals on the side of the road. They were so big one of my friends dismissed it as buffalo, but as we drove closer we saw it was a group of male lions :D :dance: (Sorry about the quality but they were so close we had all our windows shut!)

Then right next to our car they all started roaring :big_eyes: A 1st for me!

After about 5 minutes they walked off into the bush. After that the road to LS was relatively quite but we did see this lone buff

And a few regulars at sunset dam

After a short break at LS we headed back to camp but almost immediately met found this traffic jam, which could only mean one thing- another cat!!

It wasn't a great view and we were told we had just missed them killing an impala :wall: But they also said that a few hundred meters back there were a few cubs so we got ready to turn around when suddenly a huge female lion with a collar a ran into view with a piece of impala in her mouth and then a male came chasing behind her :big_eyes: It happened so quickly we didn't even have a chance for pictures! We then waited to see if they'd come out again. But it wasn't to be so we headed to the cubs :D

It wasn't a very clear view here either so we sat for a few minutes and then decided to head back to camp.

On the way back we saw a few more animals

Including a breeding herd of elephants and there was one particular calf who wasn't very happy for some reason and started trumpeting and waving its ears at us! We could see it was trying to scare us but we couldn't help laughing at the the little guy :lol:

Back at camp we booked a night drive for later and went to the tent for some brunch and a bit of sleep.

TBC

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:18 pm 

And now to continue...

I forgot to mention earlier, but i had actually booked a sunset drive and not a night drive ( sorry about that :roll: ) So after a rest in camp we made our way to the meeting location for the drive. We managed to get the back row to ourselves and were set to go!

After leaving camp we drove on on the H1-2 and on one of the bridges we saw these fellas hanging around

As well as this guy posing in the sunset light

And then of course sunset.... This really makes me want to go back :pray:

Then a bit later we could see that there had been something on the prowl very recently :pray:

And a few minutes later we found a lone male lion :dance: And then after a few minutes, would you believe it, he started roaring to a neighbour nearby!!! :D 2 in a day! Unfortunately no photo opportunities there.

We finally moved on and saw our second nyala of the trip

Much later this little hare wouldn't move out of the road for us to get past him!

And then about half an hour before we had to be back our guide turned the vehicle off and said there was a leopard ahaed!! :big_eyes: :dance: :D

We were with him/her ( not sure :tongue: ) for about 10 minutes before he/she started stalking something and headed into deep bush. Back at camp my friends were ecstatic to have seen so many great things! And then at the tent we sat around talking for hours. Just before we headed to bed in preparation for our drive back to Joburg the next day via Malelane gate, a hyena ran along the fence right by our tent! What a day :dance:

TBC

Last edited by Jack101 on Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:54 pm 

Thank you tedredum, barrelys, billyf, supermongoose, pumbaa, heksie and meandering mouse for your comments! I must say we were very lucky with the cats on this trip and with all the other animals and sunsets/sunrises it really stands out as an amazing experience :D Sorry about the delay since the last post, but I've been very busy with work. So now to finish off with the drive to Malelane...

We woke up at 5 15 and packed up all our stuff for the drive back, and then sadly locked the door to our tent for the last time :( We were all sad to be leaving but at least there was still a few more hours in he park :dance:

In the line at the gate we were close to the front as they opened the gate. And as the gate opened we saw 4 hyenas walking down the road literally a few meters from the gate :big_eyes: We were all so surprised to see them and we didn't get the greatest pics because our camera was on some weird setting we couldn't get off :wall: But we managed to follow them down the road until the 4 way intersection where they walked into the bush.

What a great start that was :D

Then we carried on down to Malelane and got out at that little koppie viewpoint (can't find my map book to give name :roll: ) for a few pics. We managed to get a nice shot of sunrise up there also

Barely 15 minutes later we saw 2 cars stopped and guess what.... more cats!!! :dance:

There were 3 of these guys but the others were in deep bush so I couldn't get decent pics of them :wall:

And then we had to leave Kruger after 3 short, but action packed days. Over the trip we had 3 separate rhino sightings and here's a few pics of 1 family.I hope they're still there for me to see when I go back next time....

Thanks to everyone who read this and hopefully many more TRs to follow! Hope you enjoyed the ride :)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]