Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: To Cricket, Or Not To Cricket...
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:26 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Goodness. It’s been so long since I’ve written a trip report, that I don’t think I remember how. Let’s try anyway.

Mid 2013...

Wonderful Friend: “But you ARE coming to Cricket next year, right?”

Me: “Ummm... maybe?” I squeaked. (Except I didn’t squeak. The conversation was via ‘text message.’) Maybe? Actually ‘no.’ Not a chance. To attend Cricket 2014 would require the existence of something called a ‘weekend.’ A ‘week-end.’ It implies that the working week has an end. It doesn’t. Saturday and Sunday? Those are my busiest working days. Cricket? Not going to happen.

Late 2013...

Wonderful Friend: “Need to know about cricket. Camp sites in Skukuza are filling up fast!

Me: “Ummm... maybe?” I squeaked again. Again, not really squeaked. Looked through my calendar. My goodness, I’m so busy now that for the first time in my life I use a CALENDAR... And Calendar says ‘no.’ Calendar definitely says no.

Early 2014...

Wonderful Friend: “MOOSE! Decide! Cricket or no cricket!

Me: “Ummm... maybe?” Squeak squeak. I have a problem. I can’t let people down. You know when you ask someone where the nearest pharmacy is and they haven’t got a clue, but they won’t admit it, so they wave their hand vaguely and tell you it’s ‘by the other shop there’ and then they run away before you can thank them for their phony directions? That’s me. Can’t say ‘no.’ I am NOT going to Cricket this year.

Two weeks before Cricket 2014...

Wonderful Friend: “You are coming to Cricket. Choose your next words wisely.

Me: “Ummm... maybe?” Stupid calendar. I pull it out again. What a busy week that is for me. Work has scarred my calendar with little obnoxious pink dots, indicating trips to the vet, school visits, photographic mornings, big important meeting in faraway Nelspruit on the 5th... you know... things I do these days. Wait a minute. Nelspruit. Isn’t that near....?

Something happens to my mind. Have you ever tried to imagine nothingness? Like actual nothingness? I’m talking about the sort that existed before the ‘big bang’. Except that nothingness didn’t really exist, because nothing existed AT ALL. Then you think for a moment, ‘yeah I get that,’ but really you don’t, because true nothingness is just too darn hard to grasp. That’s like me trying to understand that something can exist outside of the workplace. There is something else. Out there. Like.... Kruger. Okay, very poor example. But you get it. I work a lot. I’m tired. I’m tired right now as I write this.

Nelspruit. I am going to Nelspruit anyway. Nelspruit is SO far away. There are lots of foggy hills and potholes and terrible drivers between me and Nelspruit. And I am going to Nelspruit for a meeting at Home Affairs. That’s right, HOME AFFAIRS. I am risking my life to travel to a building that I usually pay someone to visit for me.

The brain keeps ticking in the right direction. The dreaded meeting is at 9am. I can either leave home at 5am to get there, maybe saving enough time for a civilized ‘city’ breakfast before my terrible meeting...

...Or I can leave Lower Sabie at 5am and still achieve the same results. Because after all, Nelspruit is practically Kruger anyway. It would be like going all the way to Niagara Falls and not walking down the hill to see the falls. So there you have it. Go camp in Kruger.

Which would work brilliantly if camping at Lower Sabie wasn’t always fully booked for months in advance. Or if I actually wanted to camp at Lower Sabie, which I don’t. Further consultation ensued with said Wonderful Friend, who was prepared to swap their fancy accomodation at Lower Sabie for fancy accomodation at Berg en Dal, which is a very nifty camp indeed.

So it’s settled. Actually it wasn’t settled that easily. There were another few dozen ‘ummm.... maybe’s’ before I got on the phone and booked myself a campsite at Berg en Dal for next Tuesday night.

I am going to Kruger. I make it sound like I never go to Kruger. Two weeks ago? I was in Kruger. I spent two amazing nights there and discovered the tree-ish treasure that is Maroela camp. I took exactly two photos in three days. The first was a terrapin sitting on a rock in a puddle near Kruger gate. The other photo is of the same terrapin when he was joined on his rock moments later by a second terrapin. These are those photos. Because everyone likes trip reports with photos. I haven’t even started my trip yet and I have photos.

(The things I didn’t photograph on the last trip? The honey badger and two wild cats that visited our braai in Satara. The leopard waiting for us at the entrance to Maroela camp. The jackal family chasing a scrub hare near Orpen.)

So it’s booked. It’s official.

This is what I CAN do: 24 glorious hours in southern Kruger; most of those spent in the company of some of my very best friends. I may even write about it.

This is what I CANNOT do: Cricket 2014.

Post subject: Re: To Cricket, Or Not To Cricket...
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:32 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
:hmz:

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:35 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

MM! :k

I'm going to need everyone to remind me to finish the trip report. Nag me. A lot. I never finish trip reports.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:42 pm 

Whether this TR will ever be finished, I don't know :lol: What I do know is that it is GREAT having you back and at least starting one, Annapangolin :clap: ! :dance:

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:51 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Matthys :k

Surely I can complete a trip report for a trip that only lasts for a matter of hours :hmz: Actually, probably not.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:53 pm 

Will nag you lots ! :wink:

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:02 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Annapangolin, (or more commonly known as Moose !!) half a TR from you will do fine - just tell us what happened (well only those moments you can share :tongue: ).

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:35 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
I though that for a "Wonderful Friend" you would swimma the ocean, fighta the bull......... :rtm: Or in this case maka the booking looka for the lioness!!! :rtm:

I'm so pleased to see that you'll be visiting Kruger and more specific the great camp Berg n Dal for a full 24 hours!! :dance: :dance:

During that 24 hours a lot of cups of tea can be consumed exactly 96!!.....
Lots of Tomato and Cheese braai boordjies will find their way to your stomach.....one loaf of bread makes exactly 8 braai broodjies!!.....
My friend Google has the following to say........
Quote:
At the rate of normal speech, you'd probably speak between 200 and 300 words per minute or so
so in 24 hours 288 000 words will flow out of your mouth and will be absorbed to be treasured for another year and a half of maybes and perhaps!!....
Adults laugh 18-24 times a day, but I'm pretty sure during this 24 hours there will be laughter 24 times an hour!!......

So thank to a "wonderful Friend" who took hours out of her/his life to bug and nag you to come to the Cricket!! Can't wait to see what you will experience. I'm pretty sure this time you'll use your camera a few times more.... :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:00 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
billyf wrote:
Annapangolin, (or more commonly known as Moose !!) half a TR from you will do fine - just tell us what happened (well only those moments you can share :tongue: ).

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :thumbs_up:

Anything from Moose is cool :wink:

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:09 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
:yaya: anna... moose :k
nice to hear from you and ready for more :dance:
:popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:31 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Moosey welcome back Love the way you write ... and I will nag you I promise
oh and have a great time

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:26 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Wondered where you'd vanished to moosegirl...... :hmz: Glad to see that you're still around - somewhere! Looking forward to this TR (which you probably won't finish!).
:hmz: and as for the cricket??? let's wait and see :twisted:

KNP 3 May - 8 June 2014

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:07 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
"Wonderful friend" told me about the changes in their bookings to be at Berg en Dal on a certain date, and I am so glad that you were able to make it Annapangolin! :dance: :dance:

Have a great time! You owe it to yourself! :gflower:

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:51 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thanks all :) It's good to be back.

Trip report on the way. I left Kruger under several hundred feet of water...

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:55 pm 

Can't wait for the trip report :dance: and am glad that you got to leave Kruger safely, Annapangolin :k