FAC Member (2012)
I have enjoyed being along for the ride and your pictures. thank you

Post subject: Re: Report of our first trip to Kruger - 3-14 January 2011
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:55 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Dear Normana
Thanks.
Friends, it may take a while for the next posting since I am going to a scientific meeting in Mexico next monday and time constraints are over me now... But soon I'll come back to the TR.

Cheers
Charbel

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:01 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks again Charbel :clap:

The info and the photos are very interesting and entertaining. Yes, that baffaloes are really BIG, but wait till you see a rhino up close and personal :whistle:

Enjoy your trip, we will be waiting patiently for the next posting.

:popcorn: Leana

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:54 am 

FAC Member (2013)
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2012)
Hi Gharbel,

Thanks for a most interesting and informative TR with beautiful pic's :thumbs_up: .

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:12 pm 

:hello: I've just caught up on your report - really love your perspective on what you saw :thumbs_up: very interesting additonal info -looking forward to more! Doing a TR really helps one relive the journey - I did one of our trip to KTP in 2011 and was amazed :shock: to see how much the trip meant to me after doing the TR - I will be looking out for your KTP report too - but for now am anxiously waiting for you to get back from your trip and give us more :)

Bitterpan 2 - 4 Mar (might change)
KTC 4 - 7 Mar
TR 7 Mar

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:47 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hey Charbel, read your TR again as it is very informative.
Enjoy your trip and we'll be waiting for your next posts.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:46 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi friends
Thanks for all the comments. Very nice to get your feedback on the TR, which is indeed a great way to relive the trip. It was one of the best trips of my life. Certainly to be relived over and over again. I'll soon get back to the TR. Now I am in another trip, came to work in Mexico, but enjoyed a free day today to see the pyramids of Tehotihuacan (my second time). Definitely awesome!

Leana, I did see Rhinos. But I am not commenting on them on the TR until now to avoid localizing them (although it is more than one year and a half ago...). My plan is to do a posting for all the rhinos at the end of the TR, but without saying where I saw them.

Cheers
Charbel

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:41 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Still in Mexico, but eager to go on with the TR, I will make a smaller posting considering what we saw at the last section of Napi Road, before arriving at Skukuza. It was not much: one group of male Impalas, probably young dudes, more 6 giraffes, what is in itself great, and 1 juvenile Brown-Snake Eagle (Circaetus cinereus). Our initial plan was to stop at Matekenyane Koppies, but we decided to do this the next day, going directly to Skukuza, to check-in and take our time to make the Sabie loop.

Among the impala pictures, I like these that show one of them eating.

Our second encounter with giraffes in KNP was still magical. We couldn’t cease getting astonished about these animals, 5-6 meters in height, an average weight of 1,200 kg in the case of the larger males, while the females weight around 830 kg. It was great to see a couple with a cute young giraffe.

Evidently the necks are most amazing, over 2 m in length, nearly half of the animals’ height.

It is interesting that the length of the neck is due to the size of the cervical vertebrae, not to the addition of more vertebrae. The giraffe pays physiological costs for its long neck, which is associated with several adaptations that evolved in these animals, for instance, in their circulatory system. The role of these adaptations becomes clear when we consider that their hearts are 2 m above their hooves and 3 m below their brains. The size of the brain is relatively small – it has only just 680 g of weight –, probably due to the length of the neck, since too much energy would be needed to furnish oxygen for a larger brain at the end of that long neck.

When feeding on twigs, leaves, fruits and, rarely, grasses, the giraffes use their tongues, lips and palates, which are tough enough to deal with the thorns of trees like the acacias. Their highly mobile muscular lips help in efficiently stripping the leaves from the spiny branches. Their blue gray tongues are about 45 cm long and are prehensile and powerful, facilitating that they aptly grasp the leaves and pull them into the mouth. In the picture below, we can see a giraffe using the tongue for other purposes, probably to clean its fur. It is a funny thing to see as the picture may translate.

Although they are commonly found together, they do not stay together for more than a few hours, with the group composition being more fluid than in other social ungulates. In Napi Road that day we saw 6 giraffes together, one of them the juvenile mentioned above. In this picture we see three of them.

The animals tend to move freely from one group to another, and the only more stable associations are between females and their calves. Adult males tend to be solitary and nomadic, moving between female groups in order to verify the reproductive receptivity of females in the different groups. This happens all the time, since there is no fixed breeding season. Subadult males can be found along with the females, or can form groups of males, which can be seen engaged in non-combative necking behavior, as a way of learning for future combats for the females.

Finally, here is the contribution of a giraffe to the butt calendar, with the extra charm of the tail swinging to shoo flies or mosquitoes away.

Finally, one picture, not so good, of the Brown Snake Eagle we saw in the last portion of Napi Road before arriving at Skukuza. It was the first time we photographed this animal we would see other times in KNP. This was a juvenile and this is the reason why we put the picture here, despite its quality. How can we know it is a juvenile? Although the bird is similar to an adult, it is slightly paler, showing a faint scaled effect.

This is a widely distributed eagle, being found across much of the sub-Saharan Africa, with the exception of the lowland forest of West Africa. As the name indicates, it mainly eats snakes. It stay perched, as this one we saw, and dropping onto prey from above, smashing its spine with its feet. If the prey is a snake, the eagle tries to crush the head to discharge any venom. Its legs are thickly scaled as an adaptation to protect it from snake bites. The eagle is not immune, however, to the snake venom, and is in fact sometimes blinded by spitting cobras.

The Brown Snake Eagle is not threatened, being classified in the IUCN Red List as Least Concern, with a stable population trend.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:15 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Charbel, so very interesting :thumbs_up:

:popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:20 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:thumbs_up:

I am on board :popcorn:

Leana

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:43 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Charbel,

this is amazing - and you just made me extreme homesick :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:55 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Charbel,

I just caught up. Sounds like you had an amazing trip. Can't wait to hear about the rest of the trip.

Daron

Kruger May 6-15, 2014
Satara May 6-10
Skukuza May 10-12
Crocodile Bridge May 12-15

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:57 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Charbel, love the info on the giraffes and snake eagle!!!

I also love giraffes and are facinated by there different spots. some light, some dark, some fade from light to dark, but most I enjoy the different patterns of the spots. Even the sports them selfs have different edge patterns. Also there long eye lashes are beautiful!

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:02 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Finally caught up with your TR while you are in Mexico Charbel! You have had so many wonderful sightings with beautiful pictures! :clap: :clap:

Looking forward to the rest of your trip! :popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:57 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Dear friends,
Thanks for all the comments. Back in Brazil, I was caught in a turmoil of work. Just a short note to tell you that I just began working on the next posting...

All the best
Charbel

1 June 2013 - Twee Rivieren
2 June 2013 - Kieliekrankie
3-4 June 2013 - Kalahari Tented Camp
5 June 2013 - Twee Rivieren
6-8 June 2013 - Nossob
9 June 2013 - Gharagab
10 June 2013 - Grootkolk
11 June 2013 - Nossob
12 June 2013 - Twee Rivieren

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 485 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 33  Next