Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 2 of 3
 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: 47 days of fun
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:03 pm 

Day 18 & 19:lions, lions and lions

After two nights Tambotie it was time to go to Skukuza. It was a long drive, but luckily i saw also a lot of animals. The lions that I have seen a couple of days, between Tambotie and Satara, just leaved. I only saw the male for a few seconds.
At Satara I went to the kill again. But there where only some bones left. No sight of the lions or hyenas. There where only a couple of vultures left. So I turned around and heading towards Skukuza.
The next stop was at the nkaya waterhole. A beautiful waterhole with a lot of animals. I stayed there for almost a hour and saw some warthogs, zebras, impala's and a crocodile.
Even it was mid day and hot, I did saw some general wildlife and a lioness in the river bed.
Around 2 I arrived at the camp site. After I found a good spot, I packed out everything and started to setup my tent. It wasn't as easy as previous camps. It looked like the whole ground was one big rock... Luckily a caravan next to me had a drill that I could use.
It took me a lot longer than normal, but eventually I was able to place my tent.
Because it was hot and late, I decided to skip the evening drive for today.
Again i did meet some great people at the campground. They invited me for a braai, so I wasn't able to make a TT.

The next day I decided to go to lower sabie and back. It was a great drive, with a lot of lion sightings. I have saw them at 4 different places. All far away in the river bed.
Unfortunately I just missed the leopard on the lower sabie bridge.
On the way back I didn't saw a lot, but still it was a nice drive.
For the evening I decided to go visit the lake panic hide. It's always a great hide, with a lot of things to see. Unfortunately the hippos where quite today, so I didn't hear there great sounds.

Also during these two days I managed to see two white and three(one family) black rinos. So I was lucky :).

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:15 pm 

After a couple of TT, it's time for some photos :thumbs_up:
This are some of the highlights till the first day at Tambotie.

1:

2:

3:

4:

5:

6:

7:

8:

9:

10:

11:

12:

13:

14:

15:

16:

17:

18:

If you have questions about them, just ask :)

Last edited by Wildlife4ever-Roy on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:43 pm 

And again I'm a couple of days behind. It's hard to find time to write something. Most of the time I meet great people :). So again a few highlights till day 22.

First of all I want to apologize to the people that weren't to find a camping spot at Skukuza. I stayed one night to long on Skukuza. That also means that I have only one night at berg en dal.

I had a great time in Skukuza and saw a lot of rhinos and lions. But After 3 days Skukuza I still didn't found my leopard.
On the 4th(the berg en dal night on Skukuza) day I had success! I saw my leopard, only a split second, but I saw it.
And the day was even more special because I saw some sable antilope! I wasn't able to make a good photo, but it was great to see.
On that same day I managed to find multiple elephants, buffalo and 3 white rhinos and 2 sightings of lions . So with the leopard of that morning, I have seen the big 5 on one day!
So it was a very special day, that even get better one and a half hour before the gates closes. I received a message(Latest sighting) that there was a leopard in the tree with a impala kill. I calculated that it was a 45 minute drive to get there and go back to Skukuza. That means I will have 30 minutes at the leopard.
So I tried my luck and did go to the leopard.
It was amazing! It was beautiful to see the leopard eating and walking on the tree. It was also close by and relative open. So I had a good view of it. I also shot some decided photos (despite it was getting dark). I think he was in the tree for 20 minutes. It is definitely my best sighting of this trip and my first lit(leopard in tree) of the trip!
So I didn't mind that I missed a night berg en dal :D.

The next day I stopped again at the leopard. Unfortunately she or he wasn't in the tree when I arrived. After a while I saw a leopard under the tree. It was walking around the tree and sometimes looked up. It was someone else. It wasn't the owner of the kill. Suddenly it climbs in the tree and smelled the kill and climbs out and leaves.
When the owner of the kill came back, she smelled the intruder and hides the kill high in the tree.
After she hide the kill, she climbed out of the tree to drink something.
After that see climbed in again and she was going to sleep.
Short after I leaved and did go on my way to berg en dal.
For the rest of the day I saw some general wildlife and 5 white rhinos.
Didn't saw a lot, also the amount of general wildlife was low, but 5 rhinos is always good to see.
But there are a lot of rhinos in the south. Since I arrived in Skukuza I have seen at least 3 rhinos a day.

It's time to sleep and also the end of another TT. I will try to upload some photos soon.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:10 pm 

Day 23: some special sightings

Today I left berg en dal and heading towards lower sabie. I didn't saw a lot on the drive, but what I saw was quite special.
First I took s118 to the S25. The only animals I saw where a couple of impala's. Suddenly I arrived at the biyamiti bridge and saw that it was closed... Haven't seen any sign of it during my drive(hint to sanparks). So I had to go down the same road again...
On the S114 I saw two big male lions. There where lying maybe 5 meters of the road. Luckily they where still a little bit awake. It was incredible to see those animals so close.
The next special and rear sighting was at the Mpondo dam. I saw an albino impala! And it wasn't just a bit more white than the other ones. No it was completely white. Only the small black spot near there back lag was visible.
The rest of the road to lower sabie wasn't special. I saw some general wildlife.
During this drive I also managed to find 6 white rhinos. First a group of four and later a group of two. So I have already seen a lot of rhinos during this trip.
At lower sabie I heard of a lit with a kill. So I quickly placed my tent and than go to find the leopard. Unfortunately dropped the leopard the kill(warthog) on the ground. But of course another lit isn't to bad :D. I think I managed to make some decided photos of it.
Back at the shop I decided to braai this evening. I lighted up my braai and it started to rain... Luckily didn't rain hard, so I was able to finish the braai.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:30 pm 

Hilda: no he didn't. I didn't saw the kill clearly, so maybe he was already finished with it.

Barryels: after what I saw today, there is nothing left I think. I'm so sorry. You have to wait until the TT of today to see what it was :D

To all: Thanks again for your messages! :thumbs_up:

I had a lot of trouble with uploading the photos, so you probably have to wait till tonight for the new TT.

The photos are till the night in berg en dal.

19:

20:

21:

22:

23:

24:

25:

26:

27:

28:

29:

30:

31:

32:

Enjoy!

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:45 pm 

Again thanks to everyone who still reads my TT and leaves a message behind!

Day 24: rain rain rain

When I woke up this morning, it was raining. So I decided to have a relaxed morning. So I leaved the gate late, around 8. First I went to a leopard with kill where I heard about in the camp. I saw the kill, but the leopard was nowhere to be found. After a while I decided to go back to camp. Around camp I heard about a lion zebra kill. So I went over there to see it. When I arrived, there where already a lot of cars standing.
It was lying in the high grass and raining all the time.
Still it was great to see it and I think I have taken some reasonable photos.
Stayed there for some time and than headed back to camp.
At camp I checked in for 3 nights in a one person hut. The hut was a perfect timing because of the weather.
When it became a little bit dryer, I quickly packed up my tent and went to the hut to dry it.
Because it was already late, I decided to skip the evening drive. Instead I read the sanparks times, a great new "newspaper".

Day 25: just amazing!

Today, again it's raining again, but now also with the sound of thunder.
The day started slow, I was almost at the H12 bridge and only saw 1 hyena. Suddenly I saw two cars that parked there car on the road. They where parked as the saw something interesting. I didn't saw anything, so I asked. The woman in the car whispered back: "there are wild dogs on the hunt trying to get an impala. Sometimes you see there ears". I thought wow that will be amazing if I see it. Unfortunately they were behind thick trees and stuff like that. But you're where able to hear the sounds and sometimes the wild dogs. After a couple of minutes it looked like they capture something. Suddenly they all where running away. I followed them and at H12 bridge they crossed the road. When I arrived I saw they where already eating. So I quickly parked my car as close as possible to the kill.
Eventually I was 4 meters from the kill where they where still eating from. It was just amazing! Wild dogs everywhere. They walking around the car and if I wanted I could easily touch them when they walking pas. Sometimes it was scary to photograph, because you could see the ones walking around.
After a couple of minutes, there where peace of impala everywhere. Ones 2 wild dogs where eating just 2 meters from my front door. So it was close and what an amazing experience! I think that I already have seen the best moment of my whole trip! It's going to be hard to come even close to this :D.
To make the experience complete, there was also the sound of thunder.
Unfortunately it was raining hard and I didn't had the time to make camera and the car rain ready, so everything was really wet. But it doesn't matter, I have seen some wild dogs eating.

The rest of the day wasn't that good. I saw some general wildlife and some lions far away in the river bed.

I hope to post some pictures soon.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:31 am 

Thanks again for all the replies!
Heksie wrote:
Now isn't it just amazing meeting so many people in the Kruger? Sorry I haven't seen that you have met a YR yet, but I don know that WendyA and Barry and Hilda are on their way tomorrow so you will meet amazing people this weekend! I already feel that they are part of my family :thumbs_up:

Yes it is great to meet all those people! There are a lot of friendly people camping :thumbs_up:.
Yes if already meet some YR :). If have already meet: papasmurf, ragalrinkals, scipio, petraj and barrym (I believe something like that).

Day 26: Nothing

This will be a short TT. Today I almost didn't saw any animals. Even the general wildlife was low.
I did managed to find one rhino and two ostrich. So that was nice to see.
In the evening I did saw a tree with two impala's in it. Unfortunately no sign of the leopard.
So I will try it tomorrow morning again.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:59 pm 

Day 27: the long wait...

Like I already mentioned in the previous TT, I decided to go to the leopard kill.
Unfortunately when we (yes more people know it) arrived at the tree, the leopard climbed out and was gone (before the first car even arrived) . I didn't even saw it, because the morning drive was blocking my view.
So I decided to wait and wait... I hoped when most of the cars leaves or that some other animal tries to steal it, that the leopard showed up.
I waited for just over 6 till 11 and saw some rhinos really far away, two kori bustard, a giraffe, warthogs and a jackal that find some leftovers on the ground. But no sign of the leopard...
After around 3 hours, a jackal crossed the road and disappeared in to the bushes. Suddenly there came a lot of noise out those bushes! First I thought of some kind of bird, but when I listened better I also heard some kind of leopard noise from the same animal. I'm not good with sounds, but other car also waiting said probably their lies a cub from the leopard. But again I didn't saw it. I have also recorded the sound, so maybe I'm able to place it on the Internet somewhere and some expert can listen to it :).
But that maybe explains why she was so afraid of the cars (more than I have seen with other leopards) and why there where two impala's in the tree. Again I'm not an expert at all :).
After the long wait, I drove to Skukuza to stay there for two nights.
After I did setup my tent, I went to lake panic. Again, like always, there was a lot of things to see. Unfortunately the hippos where not in sight, although you could hear them. There where of course lots of birds. Also a group of elephants paid a visit to lake panic.

Tonight I'm going to the train restaurant(selati) in Skukuza. A beautiful restaurant to see!

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:50 pm 

Time again for some photos!
Again I have quickly picked some of the photos.

Warning the following photos contains wild dogs eating. I'm not responsible for the possible mess after you seen these photos. :)

33: lion

34: albino impala

35: looking at the giraffe

36: LIT

37: lioness

38: dinner time

39: breakfast is ready

40: sharing

41: yummy

42: Ggrrr...

43: almost finished

44: Hello

45: dessert?

46: cleaning the mess up

47:

Enjoy!

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:23 pm 

Day 28: rhinos?

Today I drove over the S1 to Pkop and back over the H1-1.
On the S1 I saw a lot of general wildlife. Zebras, elephants, impala's, giraffes and so on... It was nice to see, but unfortunately no cats or other special animals. Although I saw a very big herd of buffalo. It was way larger than the normal herd.
The H1-1 was the same story, only a less animals than the S1.
During this drive I saw 9 white rhinos in total. That's the most I have ever seen on one day. It was one group of 2, 2 lonely rhinos and a family of 5.

In the evening I went to lake panic again. It wasn't a special day at the hide, but I saw a crocodile eating a fish. It only was far away.

Tomorrow I leave to Maroela, let's see what this long drive brings me.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:59 pm 

Day 29: promoted

Today was the day of the long drive TO. Maroela. It was a good drive with a lot of general wildlife. It was of course great to see it. Especially the small animals are great to see. Unfortunately no cats or other special animals this time.
Although I didn't saw special animals, there was a special surprise for me.
I think I have posted enough on this forum, to get promoted by Hilda. I went from rookie ribbon to yellow ribbon! Thanks Hilda.
In the afternoon I drove a bit around in the area to find some animals close to camp. I didn't saw a lot unfortunately, but I did saw a ostrich.

Day 30: sounds of the night

Day 30 already... 'only' 17 days left... Time can go fast...

Today I drove to Timbavati, Satara and than a short drive over the S100. I saw a lot of general wildlife. But like yesterday no special animals unfortunately.
In the afternoon I did the same as yesterday, just drive a bit around in the area. I didn't saw a lot, and there wasn't any good photo possibility.
Till I heard about a cheetah kill from this morning. I went to the kill, but unfortunately I couldn't see the kill and there wasn't any sign of the cheetah. So I still need to find my first cheetah of this trip.
In the night I heard a kill. I heard a wildebeest distress call. It was close to Maroela and you could hear him for something like 15 minutes. After a while you heard the lions roar. So it's probably killed by some lions.

Day 31: in search of the kill

This morning I hoped to see the lion kill. But unfortunately it wasn't visible. I did saw a jackal walking to the direction of where I heard the sounds last night.
After the search I tried again to find the cheetah, but also this time no luck. I went back to the camp to pack up my tent, because I'm going to balule today.
It was a long drive, mainly because the lower bridge to balule was closed, so when I checked in at olifants, I still had travel 35 km to balule. It was again great with a lot of animals. Still no special ones unfortunately.
In the afternoon I drove a bit around in the area. When I was on my way back to camp, I saw a hyena Den with a multiple small hyenas. It was beautiful to see them. Two of the small ones where even explored my car. After a while they even played with some kind of bone. It was great to watch them.

Last edited by Wildlife4ever-Roy on Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:27 pm 

Day 32, 33, 34, 35

My time at balule was great! I had every morning and evening a great time at the hyena den. The adults where relaxing and the pups just played all of the time.
Most of the time they just fight with each other. They where very curious about the cars standing next to them. You had always look out that they don't eat your tire, indicator light or other parts of your car.
But I really love hyena pups, they are so cute :D. I have also taken a lot of photos... because I didn't have power on balule, I have lot of photos to sort out. So the next photo post will take some days.
On the day that I leaved balule and went to Satara, I saw a lot of animals. It first started with the hyena den of course. After the den I saw a lioness with two cubs. So after a couple of days without cats, I finally saw one again. Close by the lioness I saw some elephants and buffalo's. The day was just starting and already 3 of the big 5 seen. But this see nothing of course, because the other two are the most difficult ones.
But I was lucky, on the tar road I find a leopard just a couple of meters from the road. Unfortunately in the high grass.
4 out of 5, only one to go. Can I do it? Can I find the big 5 again on one day?
Yes :D that same day I managed to find the last member of the big 5, the rhino. And it wasn't a small family either. Normally you will see 3 or when lucky 5 in one family. This family white rhinos was even bigger than that. It was a family of 7 rhinos. Beautiful to see those animals, especially when they just walk relative close to your car.
The next day I already had to leave Satara and go to Skukuza again. Unfortunately it was raining in the morning, so I went on a short drive first. After a while I stopped raining for a hour or so. So I quickly packed my tent and went to Skukuza. I was exactly on time, because when I was 1 km out of Satara, it started to rain hard... It didn't stop till I came close to Skukuza.
The amount of wildlife on my drive was really low. But I did manage to find a lion kill again, but unfortunately it wasn't good visible to make photos from it.
Those days where, except for the rain, great days! Seen a lot of things and enjoyed another 4 days in the kruger :D.
Thanks again for the time to read my TT :)

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:56 pm 

Day 36: search to find a cheetah

Today I decided I would search for a cheetah. I knew two different locations where I might can find them. The first location was around the H10/S29, above lower sabie and the other was, what Hilda told me, at the tshokwane picknick place.
I never seen one at tshokwane, but I have seen them at the H10/S29 in previous years.
So I decided to ignore Hilda and travel to lower sabie and search around there.
I learned that day an important lesson, always go to the place that Hilda mentions... Because I didn't find my cheetah and I heard that at tshokwane there was a cheetah sighting...
Despite the fact I didn't saw my cheetah, I had a great drive. I a leopard crossing the road in front of me. I saw a big herd of buffalo's, a lot of rhinos and a scorpion crossing the road.
So today was another day without cheetahs...

Day 37: wrong road

Previous day, Hilda posted a new comment with another cheetah sighting on the S114.
Because of the lesson of yesterday, I decided to travel a bit more and listen to Hilda.
I also had to go down to crocodile Bridge, so the S114 was a good option to travel.
So I took the S114 to find the cheetah again. It started good with a lot of general wildlife. I also saw a lonely mother elephant with a small elephant. I tried to find the rest of the herd, but there was no other elephant in the area. I found it a bit strange, so I waited a couple of minutes to find the elephant group. But I couldn't find or hear other elephants...
I was driving on the S114 when suddenly I saw a sign Mpondo dam 4km. After seeing the sign I realized that I was traveling on the H5 instead of the S114... So to do the cheetah part of the S114, I now had to travel even farther... But still I decided to listen to Hilda and drive back to the S114.
I drove for 4km on the S114 when I saw two cars standing still. When I arrived, I saw that the where watching a cheetah! Yes a cheetah, I finally found my first cheetah of this trip!
Unfortunately after a couple of minutes he was running out of sight... Later I heard from the people that where already standing at the cheetah, that there was a fight between a leopard and this cheetah. That happened a couple of minutes before I arrived. So it could better, but I was already happy with my cheetah :D.

The rest of the road to crocodile Bridge and the evening drive was also quite interesting. I found 8 rhinos in total. One lion and on another place a lioness. A male giraffe trying to mate, but I think the female didn't want it. And of course the usual general wildlife. So it was a beautiful day for me today. I saw my cheetah and had some good other sightings.

Time to sleep. Good night everyone!

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:05 pm 

Sorry for the late reply, but I had some problems with the photos.
Same as the other photos, I still haven't edit them. Most of them are straight from the camera.

48: Elephant

49: Buffalo's walking to the waterhole

50: hyena den

51: it's my bone!

52: looking after his brother

53: On the lookout

54: another elephant

55: elephant walking towards me

56: dinner time!

57: They loved bones.

58: watch out for mom

59: ahhh they are so cute!

60: trying to capture the bird. unfortunately he didn't get it

61:I love them!

62: time for a fight.

63: relaxing....

64: two against one... not fair!

65: I said, not fair!

66: another fight.

67: wake up mom!

68: whaaaa!

69: first sunlight after the rain...

70: Hello Buffalo.

Enjoy

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:34 pm 

I'm really far behind with my TT's, so it's time for another update.

I have already slept my first night of Satara, my last camp that I visit on this trip. They days in between where great! I didn't had a lot of good photo opportunities, but saw a lot of animals.
The only place that was a bit quiet, was Pretoriuskop. I didn't saw a lot of good sightings there.
Like always, when you search for a animal for a long time and you find it, than you will see it a lot of times during the rest of the trip. The same goes for my cheetahs. After the cheetah, I saw in total 7 different cheetahs... It was hard to get a good picture of it. Most of the time they were far away or gone quickly. On the day that I traveled to Satara, I managed to find a cheetah really close by. He crossed the road a couple of meters away from me. Again it was to fast to take a decent picture. Luckily after a short walk through the high grass, he was standing on a hill. He looked down in the valley. It looked beautiful and I think I have some good pictures of it.
I also found a lot rhinos. Everyone I could identify was white. But that doesn't matter, they are beautiful animals. Especially on Saturday(world rhino day) I saw a lot of them. One of the first animal, except for some impala's and waterboks, was a group of two rhinos. In total I found 17 different rhinos on Saturday! So compared with the other days, that's quite a amount of rhinos.
I didn't saw a lot of leopard and lions. During those days, I only found one leopard, two lions and two lioness. They where all relaxing, even the leopard was lying high up in the tree. I wasn't able to make good photos of it, but it was great to see them.
Another special sighting was near lower sabie. There was a fish eagle, eating a fish close to road in a tree.
For the rest I saw a lot of general wildlife. Again beautiful to see, even the impala's!
Only what I didn't like, was the long weekend... It was way too busy. Even the parking spaces, the road in the camp and even in the campground there where cars parked... There wasn't any free space left.
There where lion traffic jams everywhere, even at a zebra and Giraffe sighting, there where 8 cars standing still. They also don't know the maximum speed in the park. Even when I was driving 40 on the dirt roads, a lot of people passed me.
Anyway it where some great days, without a lot of photos, but some great sightings!
Only 4 nights left, and than I have to go home unfortunately. Time goes way to fast sometimes...

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next