Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 2 of 3
 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: How to write a Travel Tale.....
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:30 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

After I have read some of the comments here, it appears to me that the travel tales experts REALLY appreciate the comments. Am I right? in which event I will also start to comment.

Last edited by Rooies on Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:02 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
My first trip reports had no pictures. I did not have a camera. A friend, realising that I was becoming more than a little obsessed offered to lend me his camera.

Oh dear, he had no idea :roll: :redface: :redface:

I was most impressed with his camera. It had a big lens and looked so cool.

He spent some time showing me how to use it, but being MM and spatialy challenged, it all went over my head.

I stopped at Lake Panic, feeling most important and professional. I even had a bird book 8) I was now a real seasoned dinkum Kruger expert.

The first thing I did was open the camera bag.

The second thing I did was drop everything out of the camera bag. :shock: :redface:

I was now the centre of attention. :redface: :redface: :redface:

I then tried to redeem myself by putting on the big lens.

Being born dyslexic, left handed and all thumbs, made for sitcom material. I now had everyone's attention. :redface: :redface: :redface:

Oh dear, what a klutz :slap:

I switched the camera on and nothing :big_eyes: I phaffed and fiddled thinking that I had broken my friends camera. :shock: :shock:

By now, I was really the centre of attention. A bemused German gentleman with a lens much bigger than mine suggested I take the lens cap off.

:redface: :redface: :redface:

I then could not focus the camera, it was not as easy as I thought. A bit like learning to cast a line when fishing. Everything goes everywhere, except where you want to aim.

I eventually found subject material not needing a focused camera :whistle: things not needing skill and intelligence.

My first Kruger pic :cam:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:00 pm 

I agree - I am busy with my first trip report and the remarks of the other forumites are what keep me going. The positive comments mean a lot to me, and the fact that people are actually reading what I wrote seems vaguely surreal, but what a great compliment they are paying me just by reading what I wrote, let alone making apleasant comment.

Oh, Meandering Mouse - lens caps have a way of getting in the way. I went with great fanfare to a course of lessons in photography armed with my brand new camera. There, in amongst fifteen other people, I did everything the instructor told us to do. Nothing. I asked for help. The teenaged girl beside me whispered not unkindly,"Take off the lens cap."

Pete

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:29 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

That is terrible!!!! The other bonus of writing trip reports is that instead of just taking photos of the obvious animals one now thinks of how you are structuring your report and everything is seen in a new light. You actually start composing your report while on your trip. It makes for a new dimension in your travels. :D

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:49 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Cape of Storms wrote:
That is terrible!!!! The other bonus of writing trip reports is that instead of just taking photos of the obvious animals one now thinks of how you are structuring your report and everything is seen in a new light. You actually start composing your report while on your trip. It makes for a new dimension in your travels. :D

It is true what you say COS! If you know you are going to write a TR, it affects your thoughts while you are there.
This is actually a negative for me. I want to just experience the bush for myself! Rather than think how I can share it with others while I should be relaxing with the animals! From now onwards, I go to the bush with the mindset that I am not going to write a TR at all. And will consider if I want to write a TR after I come home. But that is just me :thumbs_up:

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:17 pm 
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Personally, when enjoying the bush, I do not worry about any TR's or what pics I need to take or what I am going to say to people later. I do keep a basic overview-diary of events on our trip, and refer to that when I am writing about it. I also don't go onto laptops and upload pics; I want to experience EVERYTHING while I am there, including night sounds and early rising - so need some beauty sleep, otherwise I'd just be too tired to enjoy anything. When I sit down to write a report, all the images and choice commentary will flow through my head like the floods of Kruger in January. Sometimes it takes days before that happens, but when it does, I know I better sit and type!

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:42 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

OWN I'm with you 100% on your comment. It will always be a good idea to make small notes everyday.(crib notes) :thumbs_up:
:naughty: And don't leave out any funny happenings. :wink: :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:07 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
just find this one :redface:
thanks MM to remember my first TR :k

beware... it becomes a drug and we need a lot of energy to go to the end :whistle: (what I did each time)

and we need a lot of readers to turn the pages, because 10 pictures per page of 15 posts are not a sinecure... when we don't speak English (maybe easier to write... thanks to my mouse and google :lol: )

but so nice to tell :dance: , to share :dance: , make envy :mrgreen: :lol: ... sorry :redface:
and so good souvenirs coming again... we do the travel a second time :dance:

the last one takes me more than 3 months... I don't know if I'm ready to write another one :hmz: not sure at all :naughty:
just thinking about sorting all the pictures, load to photobucket or another... deprime me :lol:

interesting thread picnic, thanks :gflower:

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:05 pm 
Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2013)
Award: Sighting of the Year - Small creatures/insects (2014)
Now I see you guys making notes of your adventures for the TR's...
See, uhm.... This heksie has the saying:'elephants never forget' and that is the case with the plump witchy. I just remember everything. If I see my kiekie I see the story playing off in my head and I remember the stupid thing I did or my sis said and it abrupts like a flood over my computer screen. That is why it takes me and hour or more to write an episode. I want you guys to experience, feel and laugh about what we laughed in the car. Writing about my trips was the best thing invented by this forum.
When I'm old and wrinkly I will be able to relive my best days on earth because of the TR's...

4-8 March Skukuza
29 March-2 April Skukuza
12-14 July Lower Sabie
15-18 July Tsendze
24-27 September Lower Sabie

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:59 pm 

FAC Member (2013)
I agree Heksie!

Notes are not necessary for me. What I felt and thought of a sighting then, is not as valuable as what I think and feel about the sightings today :) its not so much about reporting how things were, as explaining what you will carry with you forever :)

Unread postPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:15 am 

Location: Swaziland. The smallest country of the S. Hemisphere
This topic makes very good reading for all those mites, new and old, who have never written a TR.

Are there any more thoughts on what makes a great Trip Report, and where to start?

If you want to list your Park Dates in the YR Thread then please PM me.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:46 am 

FAC Member (2013)
Well said, MM :clap:

It is simply up to you to decide how to write your TR :D Just remember to invest the time on replying to those who commented on your trip report 8) The magic of the trip reports lies in the interactions between the writer and readers :D

Unread postPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:25 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
As the author of the first 2 travel tales (they were put on the home page of the web site first by Admin, and it was decided to start a thread on the forum for anyone who wanted to do one), here is my input.

1. Go to a park.
2. Keep a written & photographic record of your trip.
3. Think of an interesting title
4. Write it up in a word doc and copy & paste it into a TR.
5. Make it light and humourous.
6. Not too long.
7. Not too detailed.
8. Do it!

Unread postPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:31 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

This is a great topic! :clap:

What got me interested in the forums in the first place was the travel tales thread. I still spend most of my time on the forums here, and have spent even more contributing, and writing up my own travel tales. It is a great way of remembering your trip. Putting down in words and pictures what you did, what you saw, what you heard, felt and experienced. And then to share this with an audience that gets just excited about it as yourself!

The biggest fans of my TR's is my SO. :k He cannot wait for me to start posting a TR once we return. It's in a way how we relive our whole holiday again. It's a special thing for us - even if nobody commented - he would love it and I would still do it!

The different ways people write makes it so interesting. It inspires me for future trip reports. It is interesting, exciting and fun to read how somebody experienced a trip. And you can express that emotion in so many ways!

Keep on writing - so much emotion and human interaction is contained in story-telling. It is an age-old instinct to tell stories, and so much a part of who we are!

13-18 June 2015 - Lower Sabie
19-23 June 2015 - Satara
24-28 June 2015 - Letaba

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:14 pm 

I think there is only one way to write a TR.

Write a TR from the heart !! That;s all.

There are enough rules in life so feel free writing a TR like you feel, are and experienced the trip.

Easy isn't it ? :whistle: :whistle:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next