Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Maddie88 Luck must be a Lady! May 2012
Unread postPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:10 am 

FINALLY!! We are off to Kruger!! :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

On a severely short notice, and the help of some great forum members, we managed to get some accommodation in the Kruger for this weekend! There were a couple of times I doubted it would happen,but never fear!!! The magic is alive...

We depart in an hour, our itinirary is as follows:

Friday: Skukuza
Sat & Sun : Satara
Monday: Skukuza

My wish list is filled with Cats, I love the big cats of Africa so it is as follows:

Leopard (my favourite animal)
Cheetah
Lion
Wild Dog (not a cat but I LOVE the painted dogs)

Let's hope I can have a few ticks of my list... Stay tuned, I am hoping to make a LIVE TR. Here is the BAD news, I didn't plan a trip to Kruger (some of you members might know the story) so now I do not have my DSLR CAMERA!!!! :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :slap: :wall: I am stuck with an iPhone camera!! :cam: Let's hope it works, otherwise i will be :tongue:

Till we speak again soon!! Cheers :dance:

Post subject: Re: Luck must be a Lady!
Unread postPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:58 pm 

Just through white river and man, I am so excited!! Like a child at Christmas!

I wonder what the very first sighting will be?? Mmmmm

Keep you all posted!!

Happyness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of travelling...

Unread postPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:49 pm 

After a long day of driving we finally made it to the park late this afternoon, around 4:15 we were in and on the road, it was fantastic to say the least!!!

Out first sighting was indeed that of the impala, close to the road and a gorgeous male with big horns.

It was closely followed by some kudu, then a family of giraffe and a few elephants. In my family we call an elephant a "go go". The story behind this is when an Ellie is close to the road, it becomes a "go go".

Years ago when we were in the park, we stopped for an Ellie on the side of the road. He started walking towards the car an mum instructed dad to "go go", but he stood. She then said in a more stern voice "go go". The Ellie was still coming closer and very close to the car, started shaking its ears and slightly raised its trunk. At this point dad got a smack to the should with a very loud and stern "GO GO". We weren't sure who got the biggest fright! The combi span off that u only heard tyres screeching and the Ellie turned around and started to run into the bush! Lol. It was hilarious!! So when the Ellie is close to the road, we call it a "go go", lol

We had a nice braai and a few drinks, now we are sitting around the fire listening to the hyenas laughing. It's better than I thought this trip would be and I am hoping it will only get better!

Goodnight all, update again tomorrow morning...

Happyness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of travelling...

Unread postPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 8:47 pm 

Thank u all so much for the great comments!!! Loving our time here in the park...

Day 2

We left skukuza at 6.30am this morning. The plan was to drive past thsokwane and head on the dirt road towards the new picnic place (I'm sorry, I don't know how to spell neither pronounce the name) for brekkie then head to satara.

On our route, we saw many of the general game including zebras and waterbuck. At the dam we saw a few hippos lazing in the sun, but not much more...

Thsokwane looks as though it is coming along nicely and might even reopen soon. We stopped for a quick snoop and a comfort (toilet) break before hitting the road to the picnic spot... Just one problem...

The road has been washed away!!! Oh no!!! Plan b was to head to nwanetsi, but we chose plan c which to come straight to satara and grab a brekkie here, so off we go...

The road was very quiet, we saw a large heard of buffalo and managed to get a few nice snaps. On me we again...

At satara we were extremely disappointed at the food we received. It looked unattractive and bland and unfortunately didn't get better once you bit into it. Anyway, we headed out again but the cats again escaped us...

Maybe we will have better luck with the cats tomorrow. Our sighting list for today though was:

Impala
Waterbuck
Blue wildebeest
Zebra
Buffalo
Steenbok
Ostrich
Large owl
Scops owl
Warthog
Hippo
Rhino
Elephant

I will send an update again as soon as I have some more news, :-)

Unread postPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 5:59 pm 

Day 3..... BANG!!!

To say it was a fantastic day, is saying too little..... If I didn't have ears, my smile would be right around my head!! :lol:

Have an Accounting exam to sit quickly, will update you all later... :thumbs_up:

Clue: Wishlist has TWO ticks.... :big_eyes:

Unread postPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:52 pm 

Hi Everyone!!

I'm sorry about the delay, but here goes day 3...

We got up early and drove the S100 to N'wanetdsi for breakfast. Along the way we saw many general game, impala, waterbucks, kudu's, zebra's and wildebeest to name but a few. We reached the picnic site with no cat sightings, it looked like it was going to be a slow day again but we were happy to just be there and breathing in the fresh morning air of the bushveld.

There were a few people at the picnic area and we exchanged sightings for the morning, it looked like we were not alone.

After a lovely scrambled egg breakfast, we jumped back into our cars and headed towards Satara again via the tar road (sorry, I never know the road names etc :redface: ). We again saw the general game along the way. We reached a car stopped in the road and looked out to what they were looking at. At first we could not see it, but then we saw the 2 male lions lying far away in the grass.... It wasn't the greatest lion sighting, but it was indeed one of my favourite cats and we enjoyed the sighting through Binocs for about 20minutes. It didn't look like they were moving anytime soon so we headed on...

We passed a drinking hole and stopped to take a pic of a buffalo. A Singita vehicle passed us, but as we drove off he stopped and hung out his window to show us a gorgeous Puff Adder lying on the side of the road! We had completely missed him and he was so gorgeous...

The rest of the morning was much the same with plenty of general game around. We went back to camp and relaxed a bit before heading out for an afternoon drive. Everyone wanted to head out north for a while, but I wanted to see what was at the dam on the Orpen road. Our last trip this dam proved very fruitful so I wanted to check. Lucky I was driving so off we went. At the dam we would turn around.

The dam had so many game, warthogs, impalas, hippos and some big crocs! At the man made waterhole we could see a herd of ellies, we wanted to see them up close so I decided to go into the dam loop and also then turn around there. Once at the loop, we couldn't see the ellies but in the bed down below there were some impalas and a gorgeous kudu bull with his girls. We waited for him to get out of the thickets so we could take a snap when we suddenly heard a baboon call "danger". As quickly as lightning, the impala and kudu took off into the bush and we knew there was some predator in the bush.

Just then a gorgeous leopard popped out of the bush right next to the car and walked beside the car towards the dam before crossing the road and heading for a drink. We were the only cars there and the sighting was just brilliant!! He wasn't around for very long, but in leopard term it was a long time and we felt very LUCKY!!

The rest of the drive provided more general game and a magnificent African Sunset.... A great day indeed.

I will upload the pics once I am home.....

Day 4 to follow....

Unread postPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:28 am 

Hi all!!!

I apologise for the delay in my update, I have arrived back in Australia and things are a bit crazy!!! :wall:

I have three weeks worth of work to catch up on, :big_eyes: final exams are fast approaching :rtm: and everyone just wants to have a catch up :tongue: to hear all the news!!!

Hopefully I will get to the last day and the elusive PICTURES :cam: this weekend....

Thanks!! :gflower:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]