Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: NJVermaak's wonderful week in Kruger, May '14
Unread postPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 10:38 am 

G'day all...

Me and a friend returned yesterday from a wonderful week in Kruger National Park. We visited Satara, Balule and Maroela and had an amazing time, we enjoyed the bush fully and with many special sightings and great memories on top of that! :thumbs_up:

I'm busy getting all the photos ready and will post my first trip report as I make progress with the photos.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

NO HOTELS IN KNP

Post subject: Re: A wonderful week in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 6:56 pm 

Welcome aboard and I hope you enjoy the ride with us guys!

We left Witbank at about 16:00 for Hazyview to drop of SO with her brother for a two week visit.

The next morning me and Elmar (My partner in Crime :roll:) left Hazyview at about 6:30 for Phabeni Gate, we checked in and were in the park just after 7:00 and headed for Skukuza on the S1. It was amazing to be in Kruger again and we were very excited about the next 8 days.

Closer to Skukuza on the S1 we came across this traffic jam and it felt like JHB we missed a turn and were back in civilisation...

We patiently waited our turn and while we waited we saw two big male lions walking in the bushes away from the traffic, but we were not quick enough for a photo :?

Soon enough it was our turn and this magnificent creature was lying right next to road! We snapped a few pics of the parts we could see and were on our way.

It wasn't to long and we came across some hyena at their den, this trip was starting off very well!

We headed off to Skukuza to stretch our legs and then moved onto to Satara. A lone Buffalo was chilling in the river bed.

Further along the road we came across this little guy crossing the road.

We stopped at Tshokwane and enjoyed a nice pie and cool drink while the naughty monkeys were causing trouble. We were on the road again and came across this guy, magnificent! Brown Snake Eagle if I'm not mistaken?

Before we knew it we arrived at Satara, checked in and found a camp site, unfortunately not next to the fence but not to far away either, our first night in Satara....ever!!!

We made camp and relaxed for a bit before heading out for our afternoon drive... the S100... what would we see? :big_eyes:

Some of the Red Billed Hornbills in the camp.

So we were off and headed for the S100 with high hopes. A man signalled us to turn left... the S100. Our first sighting was a pride of about 6 lions lion around under a bush about 200m in, my lens isn't long enough :(

We sat and enjoyed them for a bit and headed further on.

The Waterbuck on this road are amazing, the biggest horns I've ever seen! :dance:

a Bluewildebeest...

An Ellie hiding in the shade, I almost didn't see him :big_eyes:

Some Zebra

When these call as the sun sets - you know you are in the bush!

We then found this big guy

We started to run out of time and turned around, the lions still lion around!!!We got some wood and ice and headed for our campsite.

We made a lovely fire and watched the sun set... what an amazing day!

What would we see tomorrow? Can't wait!!!

___________________________________________________________________________________________

NO HOTELS IN KNP

Unread postPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 7:12 pm 

ALL ABOARD!!! :thumbs_up:

So the next morning we left Satara at about 6:30 heading for the S100 and we'll make a breakfast at Nwanetsi, heading back to camp on the H6.

The first guy we came across was this Kudu bull...

In one of the streams along the road we came across this Water Thick Knee

And a young croc behind him...

A while after that we came across some Zebra

We reached Nwanetsi and did not have such a productive day so far... but it didn't matter and we were greated by this amazing view

We got the gas bottled fired-up and fried some eggs and bacon in a roll. This is my friend Elmar getting things started.

We enjoyed our brekkie and headed back to Satara on the H6, we didn't see much but it's a very beautifull road.

Another Pyjama Donkey... :mrgreen:

We reached the end of the H6 and decided to see what we'll find at Nsemani Dam before heading to camp.

A Ground Hornbill - special every time!

Some Hippos at Nsemani

This Giraffe casually strolled by...

We headed back to Satara so I can have my siesta and relax and just enjoy Satara.

NO HOTELS IN KNP

Unread postPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 7:18 pm 

So after I enjoyed my siesta and Elmar walked through the campsite and took soem pics, we headed out for an afternoon drive... the S100 again.

We came across this big guy and he kept us in reverse for a good 45minutes, just grazing close to the road and moving towards us calmly, but I aint going past till I'm 110% sure it's safe!

We eventually got to go past and carried on not seeing much game but enjoying the fresh air and scenery. We turned around and on our way we back we found some lovely ladies, how did we miss them the first time?!?!?

I kept telling myself they weren't there when we passed the first time, but who knows... We spent a good hour with them with very few cars and headed back to Satara, another succesfull day in Kruger! :dance:

NO HOTELS IN KNP

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]