Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 196 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: 2014 April: Kruger Family Adventure
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:17 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Sometimes it is almost embarrassing to tell people that I get to go to Kruger every year.

The view from Mopani shows South Africa at it’s best. A Country reflected in the water that has so much to offer but Kruger certainly is one of the best parts!

My good friends share the addiction and are always excited for me. Other people cannot understand the need to head back there annually. Somehow true understanding of being a Krugerholic only comes when you see the addiction take root in someone else. For me it was the reaction of my children to the news we were headed for an unexpected trip to Kruger. We (after 2 years of debating) decided that 2014 would be the year that we would be doing our first 4x4 trip to Botswana. A life long dream that had to wait till the girls were old enough. So it was decided last year that our July holidays would be spent on a new adventure - NOT Kruger. That was the bitter pill to swallow… A new adventure meant being unable to do the family tradition we had become used too.

Initially when we told the kids they were very disappointed but like any parent would we laced our trip to Botswana with absolute decadence. We got to the point where Botswana was starting to sound like Disneyland to my girls. It was settled we were going to explore Wild Africa and Kruger would have to wait till next year until…

It was one of those stunning Cape Town Wind free evenings that February serves up for us just to remind us why this country can never be beat. My brother in-law, his wife and their little girl came to spend the afternoon. After a glorious day around the pool and a braai “wat skrik vir niks nie” we put the kids to bed. Adding some wood to the fire, whiskey for the guys and Amarula for us ladies we began to reminisce about our last trip with them all the way back in 2010. It was a trip of a life time and we have yet to match our sightings in that one trip with the 3 subsequent ones without them. Something about Amarula just brings out the nostalgia. Maybe it was the mellow mood helped along by the drinks but we decided there and then this is nonsense we need to go to Kruger. But when and how will we afford two major holidays….

The conversation of possibles now heads towards probables. Ok we can do it in April / May since now the kids are being given the days off between public holidays. Only 3 days of leave for a 10 days of holidays. But after all the laughs and excitement it was down to me getting us in and also trying A ) to make sure we can get bigger units b) not have to travel everyday between camps and c) Get a a kombi or large vehicle to split vehicle costs! A slow bubble of excitement starts to brew deep inside.

Dumb luck or destiny when I call on the Monday morning I manage to get some accommodation. Not one single night anywhere - we get to stay 2 nights at every camp. PLUS we are going to Pretoriuskop - a first for all of us.

Car rental and flights seemed to jump out at cheaper costs than when we went last year. It was just amazing.

So that Monday we all sit around the fire again. IS THIS REALLY HAPPENING???? We sit and book all our flights together and once that is paid we do a little dance!

Now to break the news to the kids…. Well this is where the Krugerholic came out in both of them. First a big smile appears on their faces (that are still there by the way) next they start jumping up and down. Picking their cousin up and telling her how they are going to educate her in all things Kruger. Now for a 3 year old this doesn’t mean much but the excitement spills over and soon all three of them are chanting “We are going to Kruger, we are going to Kruger….” You get the idea. Yip Cape of Storms and her brood of addicts are at it again. This time we have a few extras in the bus and hope to feed the addiction!

Post subject: Re: 2014 April: Kruger Family Adventure
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:26 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Ready for more Cape of Storms :thumbs_up:

Once a Krugerholic always a Krugerholic :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:41 pm 

FAC Member (2013)
Oh goody another Cape of Storms TR :dance: :dance:

Great start with stunning sunset. :clap: :clap:

On board to see it all. :popcorn: :popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:31 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Lovely. Some times it is just meant to be.

KNP June 2015
Mopani, Tamboti, Satara, Skukuza, Croc Bridge

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:39 am 

Looking forward to this TR. Good to see so many Krugerholics around the place.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:47 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Ah Cape of Storms, what a super start. :D

I so understand that feeling of excitement. It looks like we are in for another great adventure. :dance: :dance: :dance: It will also be lovely for your children to be able to look back at your trip reports and relish them forever.

:popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:55 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Awesome, Cape of Storms.

Love your first picture.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:41 am 

Quote:
My good friends share the addiction and are always excited for me. Other people cannot understand the need to head back there annually. Somehow true understanding of being a Krugerholic only comes when you see the addiction take root in someone else.

Could not have said it any better.
Funny thing my brother and I had a very similar experience about 3 weeks ago.
Great start to your trip report.

Lower Sabie 20 September 2014 - 23 September 2014
Berg-en-dal 1 January 2015 - 4 January 2015

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:22 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thank you Cape of Storms for pointing me in the direction of your latest TR. I just love the way your family are so excited. Even though you got to Kruger I'm sure you'll absolutely love Botswana. Decadence and all.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:06 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year & Sighting of the Year - Small Creatures and Insects (2013)
Cape of Storms wrote:
Sometimes it is almost embarrassing to tell people that I get to go to Kruger every year.

Cape of Storms, I know exactly what you mean....had the same experience - felt like others see you as a travelling....you know the term... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cape of Storms wrote:
So it was decided last year that our July holidays would be spent on a new adventure - NOT Kruger. That was the bitter pill to swallow… A new adventure meant being unable to do the family tradition we had become used too. ]

Seems we are in sync with the ideas as we were in the same boat ending up visiting St Lucia, uMkuze, Hluhluwe-iMfolozi and Durban which was interesting - a first time for me. But Kruger-fever is extremely high at the moment - hope to visit next year July. :D

Just love your narration and the story behind your Kruger visit..brought smiles to my face. :D
Maybe it is time I plan a serious braai with other Krugerholic also having withdrawal symptoms..never know :hmz:

Stunning photo of the Pioneer dam...just love Mopani. Seems you were in for a great time in Kruger and my little girl of 9 is already educatimg others about Kruger...so the influence Kruger have on the children is just unbelievable. :thumbs_up:

Look forward to your hear more about your trip. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:22 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Pumbaa : Can’t say it any better myself. Addiction to Kruger is forever

Trrp-trrrrrrrr : Thanks so much glad to have you on board

cheetahlady: This was definitely one of those times

tusk: we are a growing number that is fore sure!!

Meandering Mouse: Thanks so much. I hope the adventure meets the expectation!

Stampajane: Thanks! It was just an amazing moment when I looked at my camera screen and saw it the outline of SA!

PietSkiet: Thank you! I hope you get to have an amazing adventure with your brother too!

impyim: It was a truly amazing trip to Botswana. The reason I haven’t been able to put pen to paper as it were for this report. Once in a life time. But Kruger is still the diamond in my heart!

Kaapsedraai: Thank you so much! One day soon I hope to meet you in person as we have so much in common! It is so true the kids really sell Kruger so easily with honest hearts of what is the best part about the trip. Great things that nature offers but also the time we get to spend together as a family. (priceless as it were) One can never get that time back. Kruger still stays top on the list. Must say being a Krugerholic makes it very difficult for the other places to get a look in!

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:25 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

26 April

We fly up the Friday night. Drive through to Nelspruit where we overnight before getting our shopping done and heading on to Paradise!

A new addition to the camera kit was a Gopro! we received for out anniversary from family and boy was it fun to use.

Here we go. The show was on the road.

With rumours of long road stops on the Malelane road we chose to head in at Phabeni. Entering the Jewel of SA is like coming home.

S1 Doispane Road

Who was waiting for us around a tree? Mr Zeebee Deeeee!!

After the Zeebees by the tree it was time for an Ellieeeee!

Even Barbieeee had to have a look and see!

Heading on in towards Pretoriuskop with the sun setting. What could be better???

Fayi Loop road near Pretoriuskop.

What a pleasure to be at Pretoriuskop. A wonderfully clean and quiet camp. So far we were loving it!

Last edited by Cape of Storms on Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:44 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Definitely on board for this :mrgreen: Great start :clap: :clap: :clap: Nothing like a family trip, they were the highlight of my childhood.

I know the feeling when people don't understand the need to visit Kruger. Whenever I go on leave at work the default response is "Don't tell me you are going to Kruger again".

Bro & Sis Road Trip V2 in September

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:52 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Please may I climb on board your trip Cape of Storms ( or may I call you C.O.S) ... :pray:
What a lovely happy family you look glad to see your girlies out shine barbie :wink: ..
You are making me very :mrgreen: and 'Krugersick' :naughty: but I'll just sit back and
enjoy your trip :k

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:21 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year & Sighting of the Year - Small Creatures and Insects (2013)
Cape of Storms, and the way you go...Pretoriuskop just got something else that is different to the other camps...those loops around the camp cold be very rewarding and the scenic views with sunsets. :clap:

Seems we are in for a treat with that GoPro,,, :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next