Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: UKWAZI Exploring Kruger from North to South April 2012
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:16 pm 

Hi Everybody, ya Ukwazi is back in the park for the 3rd time in a month and a half :dance: (I think it's time now that I make it my home, and you bet I'm working on the idea for the past month and a half if you know what I mean!!!!)

I left Jo'burg this morning and is now sitting at Lower Sabie enjoying the early evening with the smell of braai fires all around and the sound of hippo's keeping me company as I'm alone this time round.

After entering the park through Numbi Gate at 15:30 I had no time for game viewing as I had to rush past Skukuza to get to Lower Sabie before gate closing time. The 100+ km's brought up rather unexpected sightings due to the circumstances which included the ever present pack of Wild Dogs on the road between Skukuza and LS as well as some mind blowing sceneries which reminded me that I'm back where I belong, THE BUSH!!!

Before I share some :cam: just the plan...
Tonight at Lower Sabie, tomorrow all the way up to Phalaborwa for two nights, then Shingwedzi for a night followed by the long awaited journey to the far North of the Park for a night in the Makuleke Consession near Pafuri. The next two night will be outside the Park at Private Game Reserves whereafter I will make my way down South again through the Park.

Sighting-wise today I found this Klipspringer between Pretoriuskop and Skukuza...

Then this caught my eye and forced me to STOP...

The highlight of the day...

Sunset Dam saying Good Night...

The drive in the park also brought up RHINO somewhere between the gate and the gate :whistle: , Buffalo, Elephant, general plains game and a Leopard "just missed" AS ALWAYS!!!!

For those mites that knows me, you guessed right, I'm back in the Lowveld for good and the rest of the "clan" is soon to follow :clap: After a year in the 'land of missirabillity' (if there's such a word???) I finally decided that it's time to return to the place where my soul and heart finds peace, the ever beloved Kruger Park and Lowveld :k

So with the smell of the Potato Bush in the air and the 'Bush Concert" in full swing I say Good Night untill tomorrow....

I'm logging off with the words so well known by ALL my students... "To be or not to be, that is the question", TODAY I WOULD LIKE TO ADD, "I AM what I was blessed andf destined to BE"

Good Night everybody

Post subject: Re: Exploring Kruger from North to South
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:18 pm 

Hey;

Today was yet another awesome day in Kruger!!!
After a peacefull night spent at Lower Sabie (...apart from the Lions roaring the whole night) it was up at first light to take on the journey North to Phalaborwa.

Sunrise this morning...

Then the best view of Kruger you'll ever get...

As I came down the 'mountain' from the lookout point (can't remember the name, SORRY!!!) I got the split second sighting that really made my day, and No it was'nt a leopard that crossed the road BUT an African Civit :dance:

Just before the Skukuza - Satara junction the lions caught something in the dense bush but no view at all, only auditory entertainment with growling and feasting somewhere close to the road...

About 15 km's before Satara lions again busy hunting...

With the BOSS waiting to be fed nearby...

Tomorrow it's round-about in the Phalaborwa area, who knows what great and wonderfull things are lying ahead for me to discover...

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:05 pm 

Hey;
Today was a slow day for me and sighting-wise as I could'nt manage to get myself out of bed before sunrise!!!
Went for a late morning drive around Sable Dam to Moserini to Ngwenyeni Waterhole and back again...

The first sighting of the day, buffalo...being highly agitated and were clearly desturbed by something...

And I think I know what caused the early morning stir for the buffalo, LIONS in the area...

Just past Sable Dam I found this gorgeous Plater Lizard mom and her kiddies enjoying the morning sun...

Just before the end of the drive this Elephant-bull came to the stage to provide my highlight of the day...

And for what happened next...NO COMMENT (It's 2 males :naughty: :lol: or they must have been brought into the Park from Pilanesberg :shock: The one at the back does look a bit "skeef" due to obvious reasons)

Thats it for today folks, tomorrow its an early start for me again as I will be heading up North with Shingwedzi as my stop-over en-route to Pafuri...

Cheers

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:35 pm 

Hi Mites!!!
I'm chatting to you from a very hot Shingwedzi...man this place must be close to hell

Today I made my way from Phalaborwa all the way North to Shingwedzi. A quiet day one can say sighting- and tourist-wise but GREAT to be back in the heart of the Mopani-veld and apart from the river being bone dry the bush is thick and green up here.

Some of my highlights of the day...

Zebra near Mopani Camp...

A buffalo Bull lying so close to the Shingwedzi low-water bridge you could actually reach out and touch it...

His buddy lying in the reeds nearby...

And then just before camp I met up with this BIG BOY showing off...

But soon thereafter he bacame veeery tired...

And decided to lie down a bit BUT STILL SHOWING OFF...

And then he went into a deep sleep...

There will be no report from my side tomorrow as I will be spending the night in the Makuleke Consession with my friends from Eco Training College, BUT I will be clicking away :cam: to bring you images from the far Northern corner of the park before I start making my way down South again to Malelane.

Untill then...

Last edited by UKWAZI on Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]