Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Luislang's PLEASE!!! NO RHINOS IN TRs!!! KNP, March '12
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:45 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I am happy for the lucky few that are still privileged to see rhinos on their trips but keep it to yourself for the sake of the preservation of these endangered animals. We don't want to tell the poachers where they are and so make it easier for them to locate them. Let each and everyone do our bit towards conservation.

Post subject: Re: PLEASE!!!!!!!! NO RHINOS IN TRIP REPORTS!!!!!
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:56 pm 

I fully support your plea, there is a request to not mention the location etc. Of sightings but I feel we must totally ban any pics of rhinos as well, it's a shame that it must come to this but I feel the best in the long run....

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:23 pm 

I really do not see the need for this, can/do we really believe that by posting a rhino location it will get the rhino killed? By saying a saw 2 rhinos on road "x" doesn't mean anything as there are probably 2 rhinos on road "x" every 2nd day!! Everyone knows there are a lot of rhinos in the south of the park for example, poachers don't rely on "rhino updates", they know the bush, they know kruger and they know rhinos. And not posting pictures? Really?

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:32 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

luislang wrote:
We don't want to tell the poachers where they are and so make it easier for them to locate them.

Have a look to the SanParks website, e.g.
Introduction Berg-en-Dal
5 things to seek: 1. White Rhino ...

Introduction Pretoriuskop
5 things to seek: ... 3. Black Rhino

Do you really think that poachers need out trip reports to know where to look for rhinos ?

- If I could fly (KNP March/April 2010)
- Time to fly south again (MZNP, Addo, and more Nov/Dec. 2011)

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:36 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Travel tales are most commonly written weeks after the visit....not much chance any animal is still exactly where you saw it weeks ago.
I despise poaching/poachers as well..but I don't think these reports are causing/contributing to the problem.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:11 am 

FAC Member (2013)
I echo what CC says :) the pics of rhinos does not assist poachers. But we do not reveal locations.

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:21 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The "live" trip reports are getting more common though, even if I doubt that this place is the source of information of the poachers, as CC says. They have much more reliable "on time" insider information :evil:

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:07 am 

Dear TTalers,

Please see the announcement here :

Quote:
Dear 'mites

With the current war on rhino poaching we need to do our bit here on the forums as well. Please do not mention actual locations of rhinos when posting on the forums in reports etc. This is one way we can help save our rhinos.

This is an appeal made in a previous announcement. We have no control over the rhinos visiting the cams, nor that locations are marked on sightings boards in camps, but just ask for your co-operation when it comes to posting yours, or other people's sightings on the forums.

Sharing the experience of a wonderful sighting is welcomed. It is common knowledge where rhino are found - such as in the Kruger National Park, so no harm in saying 'we saw a rhino when on a walk there' - all that is being asked is the actual location is not revealed. For both black and white rhino.

Do not say: We saw a rhino at 10am drinking at Transport Dam this morning.

Rather say: We had a lovely rhino sighting on our drive this morning.

If you feel someone is giving away rhino locations, please PM a mod to deal with this, or report the post. Members may not attack other members via PM for giving rhino locations.

The mod team.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:58 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I was merely bringing Bert's request in his post under the "announcements" above this thread, under the topic "not posting endangered species" to everyone's attention again as it is being ignored. That was a year ago and the moderators deemed it necessary to place it then. There is a war on against the poachers and they should be shot on sight or jailed for life if caught. At the current rate of poaching we will have lost even more than the 400 lost last year as it has increased on a yearly basis over the last few years. One more rhino lost is too many and we cannot afford it. It is unfortunately a sad state of affairs and to those that are critisizing and crusifying me for pointing this out I say enjoy your sightings while you can and take your pictures because very soon that is all you will have left to look at. SHALOM / PEACE / VREDE

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:07 pm 

I have noticed that all the Rhino pins have been removed from the sighting boards in the camps now and a small notice saying the reason replaced them.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:29 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Location: Not to far to drive bet yet to close to fly. Roodepoort
twigga wrote:
AndreaB wrote:
On the other hand I can imagine that these blackberry groups with exact location details are manna from heaven for them....

:thumbs_up: Agree 200% with you....

Just to say my bit as I belong to these BB group. :big_eyes:

In no way does any of these members mention anything about Rhino sightings the same as whats agreed on the site maps that is our stand.

Mostly predators or non common game is shared on these BB groups . :rtm:

viewtopic.php?style=2&f=27&t=62809

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:50 pm 
Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2013)
AndreaB wrote:
On the other hand I can imagine that these blackberry groups with exact location details are manna from heaven for them....

Radman wrote:
twigga wrote:
AndreaB wrote:

:thumbs_up: Agree 200% with you....

Just to say my bit as I belong to these BB group. :big_eyes:

In no way does any of these members mention anything about Rhino sightings the same as whats agreed on the site maps that is our stand.

Mostly predators or non common game is shared on these BB groups . :rtm:

I'm in the BB group as well-the only thing we post about rhino's are the people that we suspect could be poachers...

Quote:
Very important request (Rhino): If you see any suspicious people traveling in Kruger, on no entry roads, gravel roads, 'non-tourist like people' at rhino sightings, people traveling in vehicles that are falling apart, that looks suspicious, vehicles where they should not be (eg taxis, aircon repairs etc), then please report them to ...

So when we are in the Kruger and we do see something like that we actually help the cause
NO ONE ARE ALLOWED TO SHARE RHINO SIGHTINGS ON THE GROUPS OR THEN YOU ARE DELETED WITHOUT WARNING!

Which I believe is right we are all helping the cause! :thumbs_up:

twigga wrote:
Aren't rhinos territorial as far as I know? The bulls have that huge pooopholes at the side of the road, they then step in their droppings and walk around in their territory to mark it down

So if the poachers see the 'poopholes' why would a pic on a TR without a location make a difference-poachers already know they are territorial and knows where the most rhinos are, that is why they are killed daily...

12 Jul Tambotie
13 Jul Sable Hide
14+15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:53 pm 

twigga wrote:
Q:If you post a TR, stating I saw this wilddog on the H10 and the following sighting saw these 5 magnificent, beautiful, gorgeous rhino which location I can't share......HALLO! Come on.....What the... :slap:

Another Q:Aren't rhinos territorial as far as I know? The bulls have that huge pooopholes at the side of the road, they then step in their droppings and walk around in their territory to mark it down, now if you say I saw these 2 rhino about a year ago on the S28, the changes are slim that they'll be in the same spot but fairly good that they'll be in the area, or at least his grandchildren...

:sniper: me if I'm wrong

We have a number of new mites who aren't familiar of this requests, I still say if we lock the rhino threads completely we will not have to worry who is sharing to much info, I mean I have picked up a few cases where it slipped through after the request was made......

:? :? :?

Anri, my initial request was to not post any photos, but that seems stupid I know. I now plea that we must COMPLETELY lock all rhino threads. The eveidence is there, just scout that threads and you'll see there are still cases where the location is shared, and by saying I saw this rhino a year ago on the ? road IS NOT ACCEPTABLE, so there for I plea that is this threads is locked there will be no need for any info to be shared.
As for the BBM, I'm sorry if I offended anyone was not my intention and now know otherwise, actually a very good source if used correcly...

:thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:09 pm 

:hmz:
This was asked by the mods in the same thread a while ago, so do not understand the discussion

Quote:
Do not say: We saw a rhino at 10am drinking at Transport Dam this morning.

Rather say: We had a lovely rhino sighting on our drive this morning.

Please follow our request and everybody is happy :thumbs_up:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]