Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 9 of 9
 [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: The webcams made me do it!
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:11 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Cammer of the Year (2013)
Award: Cammer of the Year (2012)
Lions lions I love lions :D :D :D

Slowly the cars ahead of us moved forward until we were nearly alongside the resting lion :thumbs_up:
How huge he seemed :shock:

Eventually we pulled up right next to him!
Just in time to capture an impressive yawn 8) 8) 8)

Despite all the humans gawking at him and all the clicking of cameras he seemed very relaxed :D

I just couldn't stop taking pictures of this magnificent lion :redface:

Eventually he got sleepy again and settled down for another nap :D

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:41 am 
Lions lions I love lions continued.... :D :D :D

On the other side of the car the lioness had come into view, so I thought I'd better give her highness some photographic attention too :thumbs_up:

Is she just gorgeous? :D :D :D

Dad and I were thrilled when she stood up and went to find the other male hiding in the grass 8)

Meanwhile, sleepyhead was still snoozing :wink:

Until something startled him awake again. I clicked away madly :cam:

Eventually he grew weary of all the attention and started settling down for another snooze :D

Before being woken again :wink:

Dad kept moving forward so that Ronnie and Lionspoon and Spots could all get some good shots of Sleepyhead :thumbs_up:
I knew that we had spent our fair share of time with him, even though it only seemed like a few minutes.

And then it was time to go in order to get to the gate before closing time :(
Lionspoon and Spots and Ronnie had a quick huddle to decide the best way to head back to camp :thumbs_up:

Finally it was decided that we would never make gate closing if we went back through the park, so Ronnie told us to exit the park and then drive around to the main entrance, where the gates stayed open later than in the game viewing area.
Ronnie's knowledge of Addo inside and out was a godsend :gflower: :gflower: :gflower:

I got one final photo of Sleepyhead before we drove off...

Dad and I were absolutely over the moon!
That was THE BEST lion sighting we Aussies ever had :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

We got back to the rondavels around 6pm and despite our requests for Ronnie to join us for dinner, he had to go home :doh:
So the Aussies and Germans settled in for a bit of a beer-fest :D :D :D

After a while we started getting hungry. In fact, that lion sighting had made me ravenous!! :lol:

Dad and Spots were keen to do the braai, but it was sprinkling with rain and didn’t show any signs of clearing, so Lionspoon and I took cooking matters to the communal kitchen. We were to have some boiled potatoes and a yummy salad :thumbs_up:

Simple enough?

Trouble was Lionspoon and I had so much talking to do that our minds weren’t as focussed on the cooking as they should have been :whistle:

After what seemed like an hour we wondered why the potatoes weren’t boiling?? :hmz:

A closer inspection of the potato situation revealed that we had turned the nextdoor hotplate on! :slap: :lol:
So our potatoes held up dinner for another hour :redface: :redface:

Finally we were all sitting on the stoep sharing food and beer together.
It was a wonderful connection of friends from 2 continents, meeting on a third 8) 8) 8)

We celebrated until very late that evening. Dad and Spots sensibly retired, leaving Lionspoon and I chatting away.
However at some time after midnight we conceded that some sleep was necessary to function the next morning :tongue:

It was to be a big day. We were meeting Ronnie and Koedoe early for a morning drive, before the main event of our Addo stay – the mobile webcam fundraising extravaganza!! :dance: :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:25 am 

hi to all melphs dad here
just wanted to say thanks for all the replies to mel regarding the continuing travel report
she has certainly a way with a camera and words these last pictures have once again brought back
great memories cant wait to get back there in 2015 again thanks to all.

melphs dad.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:58 am 
melphs dad wrote:
hi to all melphs dad here
just wanted to say thanks for all the replies to mel regarding the continuing travel report
she has certainly a way with a camera and words these last pictures have once again brought back
great memories cant wait to get back there in 2015 again thanks to all.

melphs dad.

Daddy!!! :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes:
What a wonderful surprise to find your message :gflower: :k

And isn't all the support here just fantastic :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Hopefully when we go back in 2015 we can meet more of these wonderful people in person :pray:

But now, without further ado, Day 2 of our Addo stay coming up :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:02 am 
Addo Day 2: morning drive

After the late night with Lionspoon and Spots, doing my best to uphold the pride of Aussie beer drinkers, the morning arrived way too early :tongue:

Not only did I wake up with one of the worst hangovers I'd had in years, I also had to concede defeat.
Germans are by far the best beer drinkers in the world!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :lol:

Added to that, it was a very rainy morning :slap:
But as we waited for koedoe to arrive, the excitement started to build.
What would Addo have in store for us today?? :pray: :pray:

When koedoe arrived we divided our little group between two cars.
Ronnie, Dad and Stef in the silver Terios and Lionspoon, koedoe and melph68 in the little red fire engine :thumbs_up:

First sighting of the day was an ellie, with the 3 boys in the lead car having rather a close encounter!! :shock:

One thing good about the gloomy weather was that it brought out animals we would not otherwise have seen.
Check out the size of this earthworm!! 8)

And there were also plenty of giant land snails moving about 8)

Our first Addo kudu looked rather ambivalent about the rainy weather :wink:

I learned so much during the month we spent in Africa, but one of the most important lessons I learned from Lionspoon was always stop for black-shouldered kites!! :thumbs_up:

And rightly so - what a gorgeous little raptor :D

In fact, despite the wet weather there were quite a few birdies about :thumbs_up:

If any stiffnecks are reading, please feel free to correct me if I get the ID wrong.

I think this is a fiscal shrike?

Bokmakierie

Crowned lapwing

Blacksmith lapwing

And a new tick - my first hadeda ibis :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:47 am 
Addo Day 2: Morning drive continued :thumbs_up:

Next up we stopped at Zurkoop Lookout where humans are allowed to alight from the safety of their vehicles.
However, when Ronnie pointed out the lion teeth marks on the lookout bench, I felt slightly nervous about going too far from the cars! :shock:

But I quickly forgot about being eaten and found myself immersed in the vast green beauty of the Addo landscape 8)

The view provided a brilliant backdrop for some happy snaps of everyone :cam:

Koedoe, Ronnie and Lionspoon :thumbs_up:

I think this is one of the best photos of me and Dad on the whole trip :D
Despite losing the beer-drinking contest the night before, we both look quite chipper! :lol:

And I just love this photo of Dad and Spots :thumbs_up:
They became great mates over our 3 days together and all they had to do was look at each other and they would burst into laughter!! :lol:
It was infectious :D :D :D

Back out on the road and we saw something in the tree up ahead.

Oh WOW - a jackal buzzard! 8)

I wondered why it was called a jackal buzzard :hmz:

Whatever the reason, this jackal was making a run for it! :wink:

Then a very big bird posed for a quick snap :D

I was absolutely thrilled with all our sightings so far this day :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Then it was time for a rest so we stopped in at Jack's picnic ground for a cuppa and some rusks :thumbs_up:

While we were there I noticed a movement on the ground. It was a 4-striped mouse looking for tidbits to eat :D
I have put this video clip to music as my camera microphone captured the conversation between Dad and Spots about post-war Germany…..

This clip is especially for our favourite forum mousey MM :k

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:08 am 
Addo Day 2: Roadblock! 8)

After a refreshing break, our little convoy headed back out into the game area and all of a sudden it seemed we were surrounded by ellies!! :shock:

A big bull was having a snooze in the middle of the road so there was nothing for it but to sit put and take lots of photos!! :cam:

I thought I would have felt scared in such a situation, as a couple of the bulls appeared to be in musth.
But in fact, I felt humbled and honoured to be so close to these Addo giants :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

That’s me in the backseat taking a picture of Lionspoon taking a picture! :lol:

Despite the build-up of cars around them, the herd was simply content to eat.
Every now and again we could hear their incredible low frequency rumblings in between the sound of their munching.
It was a very special sighting :clap: :clap: :clap:

Some of the ellies came so close to us! :D

The only downside of the sighting was this guy who had obviously not read the Addo Park rules! :rtm:

After nearly an hour the ellies moved off and so did we :thumbs_up:

On the way back to camp we saw another jackal 8)
Dad and I hadn’t seen many jackals in Kruger and certainly not one this close.
The Addo jackals seem to be more striking in their colouration and markings than their Kruger cousins :D

Our final sighting before lunch was a picture-perfect hartebeest :cam:

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:38 am 
Addo gets the limelight! :dance: :dance: :dance:

One of the highlights of our Addo stay was surely the Mobile Webcam Fundraising event that Lionspoon had organised :gflower: :k
Forumites had pledged money to guess which 5 mites were going to appear on the Addo webcam :hmz:

And it was us - Lionspoon, Spots, Ronnie, koedoe and me (plus Dad, a forumite-in-waiting :wink: )

I could barely contain my excitement. We were going to be on the Addo webcam!! 8) 8) 8)

Once back at camp we hastily had some lunch and then Lionspoon contacted Danie to organise the best place for us to stand.
Danie was able to swing the cam up to the cottages on the hill overlooking the waterhole, so we all trooped up there in excited procession.

Fortunately for us the end cottage was unoccupied, so we went onto the stoep and started waving our hearts out.
We were also making a lot of noise, so poor Lionspoon had a tough time trying to talk to Danie :redface: :redface: :redface:
But in a magnificent display of multi-tasking mastery Lionspoon was able to talk on the phone AND save the images on a computer! :clap: :clap: :lol:

Here we all are as captured on the cam :D
From left: Dad, koedoe, me, Lionspoon, Spots and RonnieL :thumbs_up:

If anyone would like to donate to this worthy cause, please see Lionspoon’s thread here:
Mobile Webcam Fundraising Project

Isn’t Spots resplendent in his special yellow fluoro shirt? And why was it such a special shirt you ask? :hmz:

It was the lucky lion magnet shirt :D :D :D

Already Lionspoon and Spots had seen lions every day that Spots wore his special shirt, so we hoped it would bring us all some lion luck on our afternoon drive :pray: :pray: :pray:

On the way back down to the rondavels to collect our gear I couldn’t believe it when I saw a greater double-collared sunbird in a bush near our rondavel :mrgreen:
It was the first sunbird I had managed to get a photo of the entire Africa trip! :cam:

This was the view of the waterhole from our rondavels :thumbs_up:

Finally we were all ready to go on our afternoon drive :thumbs_up:
Again we went in convoy, with Ronnie, Spots and Dad in one car, and Lionspoon, koedoe and I following in the other car.
First up we met some warthogs :D

Look at the tusks on this fellow! :shock:

Grazing nearby was this handsome kudu 8)

But perhaps he too got a fright from the size of those warthog tusks and took off at great speed!

And then we met a few more feathered friends :D

African hoopoe 8)

African shelducks :D

And boy was I chuffed to get a pic of this black-headed heron taking off from his perch :thumbs_up:

Lionspoon, Koedoe and I were having such a lovely time, chatting away in the car, when all of a sudden we saw a traffic jam ahead.
My heart started pounding – could we be so lucky to see lions 2 days in a row!?? :pray:

We crept up to the jam to see two males lying in the grass on the left hand side of the road. We got stuck in the middle of several cars, but somehow, Ronnie managed to edge his way into the prime viewing position :dance: :dance: :dance:

Dad got these amazing pictures from the front seat :cam:

I also had a pretty good view from the back seat of our car and managed to snap these photos as the second male got up and headed towards the road :D :D :D

That’s Dad, Ronnie and Spots in the front car :thumbs_up:

And this was the first male, that walked right in front of Dad, Spots and Ronnie 8) 8) 8)

What magnificent specimens the Addo lions are 8) 8) 8) 8)

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:59 am 
Addo Day 2: late afternoon drive :thumbs_up:

After that brilliant and close-up lion sighting we were all buzzing with excitement :D

Spots' flouro yellow shirt really was a lion magnet!! :gflower: :gflower: :gflower:

After the traffic jam had cleared we got on our way again.

Next sighting was an ellie's bum :wink:

And a vervet deep in thought....wondering if it might rain. The sky was getting very dark.

But just around the next bend, the sun came out and shone on our very first elands :dance: :dance: :dance:

A slight sprinkling of rain created a beautiful rainbow 8)

I just loved the light from the stormy sky and the colours it brought out in everything around us :thumbs_up:

By this stage of the afternoon we had to start thinking about gate closing time :wall:

On our way back to camp we drove past the location of our earlier lion sighting.
Dad and Spots and Ronnie in the lead car had driven right past so we assumed there was nothing to see.

But as we drove by, what was that??
Oh WOW!! It was Josie and the males lying asleep in the grass :clap: :clap: :clap:

They weren't doing anything except sleeping and we had a date with the gate, so we had to go :(
But WOW - lions twice in one afternoon :dance: :dance: :dance:

A bit further down the road we could see lots of muddy red blobs amongst the spekboom :hmz:

This is a terrible pic taken from a moving car, but I think the colour of the ellies is amazing

This little fellow waved his trunk about as we got closer :wink:

Two young males were having a good tussle with each other. At one point it got a bit rough and a tusk ended up in a rather delicate place! :shock:

Our final sighting of the day was also a very special one - Addo's iconic dung beetles doing their thing 8) 8) 8)

I put some music to the clip as we were all chatting away and the conversation would make no sense to anyone watching the video :lol: :redface:

We made it back through the gates with 10 minutes to spare and then all squeezed onto the rondavel stoep for a well-earned Castle before dinner :thumbs_up:
We had booked a table in the restaurant and after the exciting day we’d had we were all starving!! :lol:

We had a yummy dinner. I tried my first potjie and boy was it delicious :thumbs_up:

Great food and great company made for a really fun night, as you can see from the smiles on our faces :D :D :D

After dinner, Ronnie and koedoe left the Aussies and the Germans to another round of beer-drinking.
Alas, after the night before I wasn’t on my best form - but I tried!! :doh: :lol:

It was past midnight when I finally declared defeat and went to bed to try and get some sleep before our final day in Addo…… :sleep:

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:16 am 
Addo Day 3: our final morning :?

After the night before, and yet another beer-drinking loss to the Germans, it felt as though I had just closed my eyes and now I had to open them again! :tongue: I was so tired but it was our last day at Addo, so I had to make the most of every minute :thumbs_up:

Ronnie very kindly agreed to be our guide for the day again :k
Dad and Spots went in one car and Lionspoon, Ronnie and I in the other.
We were so spoilt having such a font of Addo knowledge with us in the car :D :D :D

Our first stop of the morning was Domkrag Dam, where you can get out of your car :thumbs_up:

We were greeted by an adult and juvenile PCG perched near the carpark 8)

Also, a bokmakierie was enjoying the morning sun :D

Down at the waterhole we saw a big tortoise, who refused to show us his best side :wink:

And a spurwing goose – a first!! :dance: :dance: :dance:

Further along this hartebeest looked just lovely against the lush green of the park :thumbs_up:

He also stood still long enough to get a nice portrait shot :cam:

Along the way it was interesting to see mushrooms growing out of the ellie dung.
I imagine those big steaming piles are very nutritious to a mushroom :wink:

I was very glad when we arrived at Jack’s picnic ground, as nature was calling rather loudly :rtm:
Plus we hadn’t had any breakfast, so I was quite starving!

While waiting outside the amenities block I spotted a little lizard :D
After doing some investigating on Google and looking at lots of images, I have decided that it was a Cape girdled lizard (Cordylus cordylus).
A new reptile tick for me! :dance: :dance:

But he or she was very camera shy :doh:

I practically had to stalk this lizard, hiding behind bushes, sneaking up from the other side…..but that lizard knew exactly where I was, and kept a watchful eye on me at all times :lol:

"Has that pesky human with the camera gone away yet?"

"Nope, better duck out of sight again." :wall:

FINALLY, I got a half decent photo of the little rascal! :thumbs_up: :lol:

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:28 am 
Final morning drive continued.... :D

After breakfast we headed back out in the game area, full of anticipation and excitement :pray:

Suddenly some movement on the hillside caught my eye. Oh wow, a secretary bird!! 8) 8)

I was absolutely chuffed with that sighting :thumbs_up:

And I was pretty darn chuffed with the next sighting too – Josie resting in the shade!!! :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

But she wasn’t interested in a photo shoot and promptly got up and disappeared behind the bush :slap:

Regardless, I just felt so lucky to have seen lions 3 days in a row :D :D :D :D :D

Next up was a jackal buzzard, in about the same location where we saw one the day before :thumbs_up:

Then we came to a little waterhole and saw some dagga boys enjoying a wallow 8)

"Oh yeah, that feels soooo good…." :wink:

"I hear those funny human animals pay a fortune for mud treatments like this!" :wink:

I got a little video of a buff having a good old wallow :thumbs_up:

Our time with these buffalo also led to one of the biggest giggling fits I've ever experienced.
And no, it wasn't me and Lionspoon who were the giggling gerties, it was Dad and Spots! :wink:
All of a sudden the Addo serenity was broken by howls of laughter coming from Dad and Spots in the car next to us.

Here is a quote from Lionspoon's TR which describes the situation perfectly :thumbs_up:

Lionspoon wrote:
While Ronnie, Mel and I were watching with appropriate reverence :rtm: , hell broke loose in the car behind us where Spots and melphs dad were sitting. They were laughing their heads off! I’m still surprised that the buffs didn’t pack up and leave with the pandemonium the two guys were causing. :slap: The mayhem apparently had to do with the way one of the buffs took a leak… :roll:

Dad and Spots didn't stop laughing about it all that afternoon and evening.
The 2 of them were hilarious together and their laughter was infectious :lol:

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:11 am 
Final morning drive continued... :D

During our stay at Addo we noticed that ellie dung was a very popular snack for a lot of the locals :thumbs_up:

And funny, we hadn't seen any tortoises the previous 2 days and then this morning we saw three 8)

After a quiet spell we came to a tree full of vervets :D

We don’t have monkeys in Australia, so Dad and I were thoroughly entertained by their antics :D
A wee little one paused briefly at mum’s mobile milk bar for a drink.

And from the looks of it, the little rascal had been suckling from both teats at the same time! :naughty:

The big daddy of the group was resplendent to say the least :whistle:

And this youngster looked as though he ate something yucky! :lol:

Just down the road I thought I saw a ghost! :hmz:
When we got closer we saw it was actually a couple of warties that had been wallowing in some very white mud 8)

Next we came upon an ellie on a mission…

But our attention was quickly diverted when Ronnie spotted something feathered in the grass on the other side of the road :hmz:

Oh WOW!! It was a juvenile Cape longclaw 8) 8) 8)
But we had to wait VERY patiently before we got the desired photo :cam: (didn't we LS :whistle: :lol: )

In the meantime, Dad and Spots had driven ahead to get a better look at the ellie on a mission – and they got it! :wink:

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:03 am 
Our final afternoon in Addo :(

After we got the photo of the longclaw we caught up with Dad and Spots and continued in convoy again :thumbs_up:

But it wasn't long before we had to stop for another ellie :D

And at some point we picked up a hitch-hiker :wink:

Ooh what’s that in the road up ahead?? :hmz:

Oh WOW! A yellow mongoose that quickly scampered off into the grass :doh:

We had another pitstop at Matyholweni gate and then began our drive back to the main camp for the last time :(
On the way we came across a rather grumpy looking ostrich!

And then we had the most amazing close-up encounter with an Addo ellie bull.
He was walking down the road towards us so Ronnie pulled over.
I can’t say I felt scared really, just in complete awe of this towering animal coming towards us 8) 8) 8)

Despite the fact the bull was um….in a rather excited mood, he just walked peaceably by :D
Although he did give us a withering stare as he went past, just to let us know who ruled the park thank you very much! :rtm:

And then all of a sudden we were back at the rondavels where we decided to spend the rest of the afternoon in the camp.
Let’s face it, after 3 nights of the Aussies and Germans battling it out for the beer-drinking crown, we were all exhausted :tongue: :lol:
But that didn't stop Dad and I giving it another shot :thumbs_up:

We opened a few Castles while we sat on the stoep, chatting about the events of the past few days.
It had been an absolute blast :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
We had seen amazing sights and spent time with wonderful people 8) 8) 8)

Some kudus came to the waterhole :D

For the 3 days we were there, I never stopped being amazed to see the Addo waterhole with my own eyes after watching it on the cams for so many years 8) 8) 8)

The time had flown by so quickly during our stay that we hadn’t yet been to the museum and interpretive centre.

So off we went to have a look and my goodness that Hapoor was an impressive ellie! :big_eyes:
The height of his head on the wall reflects how tall he was in real life.

Hapoor in his heyday :thumbs_up:

After an hour or so checking out the interpretive centre and shopping up a storm in the gift shop buying souveniers for all my family in Oz, we headed back to the rondavels for a final farewell beer with Ronnie.

Ronnie was so generous with his time and we learned so much from him during our 3 days at Addo.
Thank you Ronnie, you're an absolute legend :gflower: :gflower: :gflower: :gflower: :k

As buoyant as we all tried to appear on the surface, I was certainly starting to feel heavy in the heart.
Our 4 weeks in Africa were nearly over and the worst part was having to say goodbye to friends we had grown very fond of :(

Thankfully a beautiful rainbow appeared which helped lift our spirits :D

And in fact, it was a double rainbow, which was very cool 8)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9