Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 3 of 3
 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Gogo and the gremlins
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:03 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I arrived at Lower Sabie, very, very happy. :D

I just had one more wish.. a river view tent :pray: :pray: :pray:

When I recieved my key, it was a shaky MM that made a quick be-line to the tents..

yup

there it was

Number 27

a room with a view

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Some may know this tree. I call it the baboon tree after watching a troop make a noisy night time home there on one of my visits.

the sun was getting lower, I sat to enjoy a few moments of peace.

life could not be more perfect. 8)

I received a sms from 2 yellow ribbons, could we meet fro breakfast the next day?
I counted my cash, not much left at this point..

just enough left for toasted egg and bacon and coffee.. 8)

eish.. this was living dangerously of another kind :roll:

I even had a tin of Briyani saved for the night..

but first, I had to get a horrible moment out of the way.

I had to phone the boss lady and ask for more money. :big_eyes:

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:56 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I did not enjoy phoning the boss lady :redface: :redface: :redface: I hate asking favours, and this was out of my comfort zone.

She was understanding. I only told the full story once back at work, but she heard enough to recognise that this had been a harrowing experience.

I told her how much I needed and after a ... silence.. she agreed, saying we could sort it out once I returned. I knew that I was still owed money, but I doubted that it was that much :big_eyes:

I decided that I was not going to leave Tent 27 until it was absolutely the last minute.

Next morning, I made my coffee and watched the morning unfold.

Morning preening and ablutions are essential before getting ready for breakfast.

This view can cast its magic spell and set in the memory like music in the mind.

Morning has broken, like the first morning

All creatures, great and small great the day.

Even the ugly can carry a terrible beauty.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:18 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
When I read your resonses, I am so aware of sharing a special gift with all these crazy people. It is the gift of appreciation, an ability to be immersed in the moment, sharing another's joy. What has always been special for me about trip reports, is the sharing of the moment.

We would have no poets, artists, writers, music makers were it not for the glow of delight in the observer. Being able to observe and share is as much a gift as being able to weave the magic of the creative soul... and the forum has laid bare many creative souls.

Sometimes I wish that I could bask forever in the joy of the morning. The late afternoon melancholy can be deep and dark in the bush.

I watched a territorial battle. The wooden floors picked up a warm glow.

all life seeks to reproduce its beauty, all life has spark and meaning.

The hippos seemed to dominate the river. Slowly they appeared, gaints, hidden in the bushes.

Certainly, the Sabie has its own music. This tranquil scene would become a place of turmoil and struggle in the floods a couple of weeks later.

My cell registered an sms. It was time to leave. My bags were packed and it was with a heavy heart that MM said "good bye". It did not matter though, I was going to meet up with 2 very special people and enjoy my bacon and egg toasted sarmie 8)

Unread postPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:53 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I packed up and left the tent with much reluctance. It was made easier by the thought of returning to the bugalows after a night at Croc Bridge. Little did I know what the day still held.

I arrived at Lower Sabie deck to see two smiling mites waiting. :D It was like meeting with family. 8)

There they were:

Mads and Bushbaby30 :dance: :dance: :dance:

We each had a bacon and egg toasted sarmie with coffee. One of the best that I have tasted.

Past troubles were forgotten and we laughed, shared stories until I thought my sides would burst. Mads and Bushbaby were to be leaving later that day, so all too soon the laughter ended.

I turned my Trusted Beauty towards Croc Bridge and I heard my cell receiving a message. It was from another 2 mites who were going to be spending the night at Biyamiti. Would it be possible to meet?

I was delighted. :dance: :dance:

I did not spend too long on the road, even thought it was one of my favourites, the S26. I was eager to book in and prepare for some very special guests.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:28 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Oh dear, I see that I have very few pictures left :hmz: Possibly my state of mind at that point.

It did please me to see that the future of the Warthog population is secured.

and one of those impossible to ID raptors that fly the minute you reach for your Roberts. :roll:

Just to prove that Trusted Beauty was still in good sighting order 8)

It was an impossibly hot day as I drew into Croc Bridge.

I booked into the camp and much to my delight I had a perimeter tent.

I had specially extened my stay in order to meet up with these two special mites. It was Carolv and her SO. Carolv had hinted that she had something that she would like to share with me.

I rumaged through my pockets, my wallet and my emergency tips hideyhole. I had just enought for cold drinks for my special guests. 8)

I had barely arrived at my tent when I heard my name called and my guests approached.

We spent the most wonderful time together. Again, all to short. :(

Carolv shared some work she was involved in, assisting with developmet in a very isolated community in Limpopo. I felt inspired and encouraged by her dedication and enthusiasm.

TO CAROLV and SO

thank you, thank you, thank you
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

For me, it was an inspiration. Generosity always moves me.

A little birdie told me that it had made many people happy. 8)

Unread postPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 7:49 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
CarolV and her SO really left me thoughtful. After so many horrible experiences, I was pleased to be touched by a couple who understood the meaning of commitment and generosity. A few more people like them and we would have no need for politicians and lawyers.

My apologies to those politicians and lawyers who stay true to their integrity. I do know that you exist. I heard a quote recently from an American talking about ENRON.. "Business and integrity is a contra-diction in terms". Mmmmm :hmz:

Two things move me.. one is courage, the other is integrity. A nice picture for those who stand above the crowd.

Anyway, I digress.

I went for my sundowner drive. I could have sworn I took pictures of Hippo pools. There is nothing there. In actual fact, I see very few pictures. I think it was certainly a reflection of my state of mind. After all the tension surrounding this trip, my energy tank was running low.

Here is an older picture of Hippo pools.

I took this on my way to Hippo pools. It is just such a typical impie encounter as dusk settles. It was taken through my rather dusty windscreen. They refused to pose for my :cam:

More critters who refused to pose, but another typical view from around Croc Bridge.

The sun was setting and I decided to go back to camp. After all I had a perimeter tent and what could be better? 8)

I had two :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: moments.

1: my only tin of peas, (I like peas 8) was waiting for me. The tin of mussels that was meant to go with the peas was not. :cry: I had left them at Lower Sabie. I hope the domestic lady enjoys Mussels. I had to eat..... sardines :evil: with my peas.

2. the tiny, really tiny little space next to my tent had been taken over by a family.. not a small family.. a family of 8 adults and countless children. I heard a tiny baby howl in indignation. :big_eyes: I do not mind families, I do not mind usual family noise.. but this is a tiny, tiny space :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: and I tend to be a very private person.

I ate my supper with what the Afrikaners call lang tande. (long teeth)

I did not sit, as I usually do, listening to night sounds. I felt too claustrophobic with this very large extended family virtualy crowding onto my stoep. Instead I went to bed.

"Ah well", I thought, "tomorrow is another day with new opportunities, I'll make the best of my last night at Lower Sabie".

Little did I know.....

Unread postPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:04 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Again, I am finding it difficult to write this report. It brings back so many anxious and fearful moments. I also feel though that I need to exorcise this experience, take back my joy.

I decided to read a while and leave early for my last trip to Lower Sabie. I was nearing my final night and the bush blues were setting in.

My eyes were getting heavy and I switched off the light.

I was in the twilight zone between shadowed wakefulness and blissful sleep when my cell phone registered a message.

"Strange", I thought. I looked immediately in case it was an emergency from home.

Indeed it was. It read, Desi is ill. She is not eating or drinking. She just wants to sleep.

My heart broke. Dear Desi, my youngest dog, I had brought her home as a tiny puppy less than a year ago. She had been taken in by a rescue agency. Cross Basset and Ridgeback, she was a joy to have around. A perpetual study of movement, she must be ill if she only wants to sleep :cry: .

Bilhary is rife in our area and the biggest dog killer in Africa. My heart froze.

Could we wait another day? I wondered.

but I knew, everytime I saw this,

I would think of this.

It took only a moment to make my decision. I was now sleeping my last night. Lower Sabie would have to wait for another day, another season.

My mind made up, I started to fall asleep..

then the sound of my phone again :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

read my opening post, it was my cousin..

"please phone your mother, she is phoning everyone telling them that you are being attacked and cannot get help"

Indeed, it felt as though my warm safe place had been invaded by something with evil intent.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:25 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I slept fitfuly that night. I was really worried about Desi. Having almost lost a dog to bilhary, I know how quickly it can kill in certain instances.

The next morning I phoned, I was having a serious chat to St Francis.

"Nope", I was told, "still very sick". :(

I sipped my early morning cup of coffee and then went to wash up before leaving camp.

I could not believe my eyes when I arrived at the shared kitchen. Someone was feeding animals :big_eyes: but not Kruger animals.. :naughty: a little Jack Russel was being fed by a woman who was very obviously cleaning her plate from last night's braai.

Now I really thought that I had arrived on the third rock from the sun. :hmz:

A Jack Russel in Kruger. The woman told me that no one knew who the owners might be and it was very obviously starving.

A woman from the tents eventually arrived and told us that she had seen a notice about a lost dog that had run away in terror on New Years eve. It had been frightened by the loud noises of the fireworks :evil:

Poor little mite :( it was now the 5th and I could imagine how frightened he must be. Thinking of Desi and my own anxiety, I knew that he must just want to feel safe and at home.

The little mite trotted off and I decided to take a quick trip to Komatiepoort to find the notice and phone the owners. I passed the little critter on my way, but he was still too terrified to come close to my car.

Thankfully the notice was still up at the Spar and I was able to let the owner know where I had last passed him. I still wonder if this had a happy ending.

Once back in Kruger I went for a last quick drive.

Little did I know of the latest Kruger slaughter. :cry: :cry: :cry:

New life.

My trip home was filled with anxiety. I was also concerned about the vet's bills. No sandwich at Millies, thats for sure.

I arrived home. The gang were delighted :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: there is nothing like a doggie welcome..

I did a quick head count, all present..

all present, exept Desi :(

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:24 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Mention Desi's name in my family and everyone smiles.

I called Desi, my heart in my throat... from around the corner she skulked. Her head was true "hang dog". Her eyes seemed to be flaming with fever. She was panting in an attempt to deal with the high temperature coursing though her body.

Was this the same animal that played endlessly? The creature that dragged bones, sticks and nonsense through the house?

Desi and Duke enjoying the moment in a big puddle

I did not even unpack my car. Desi was bundled into the back and we drove to the vet, ignoring speed limits.

The vet's nurse took her temperature. "Probably bilhiary", she said. "We have had a lot of fatalaties this year, it seems to be particularly bad".

Desi was too sick to even whimper at the vet's blood smear. The vet seemed to look forever before straightening up, very puzzled.

"This is a sick dog", she said, "but there are no signs of bilhiary and no signs of distemper, or any of the usual suspects, I am very confused".

She then told me that she would treat Desi with a large dose of long acting antibiotics and give her a dose of anti bilhiary tratment just in case it was too early to show in her smear.

I drove home deep in thought... gremlins :sniper: :sniper: :sniper: gremlins :sniper: this was just too bizarre.

Are there powers of evil that just enjoy feeding on panic? Certainly there are powers of evil that feed on greed.

My mind went back to New year's eve, the time of new hope and regeneration. Was it possible to still hope, to still seek the road in the midst of storm? It seemed that everything meaningful to me was being attacked by some strange force.

In the back Desi started to retch. This poor little creature was suffering. I did not know if the vet could help. :cry:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:37 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I returned from Kruger on Tuesday. All went well and Trusted Beauty behaved like a dream. At Millies she needed a couple of tries to get her started. :hmz: needs a service.

At Middleburg the same thing happened. As I was leaving the Ulta city, I saw a terribly sick looking cat. I tried to catch it, but it was too wild. I just left it food instead.

Call it premonition, but I then had a deep fear in the pit of my stomach about one of my cats.

Trusted Beauty behave well until I reached the N1 in J'burg. I then realised I was in deep trouble. I managed to get home, but by the time I pulled into my garage, I only had 2 gears. I felt sick with fear.

I arrived home and Little Brown was not there to greet me. All the other animals rushed out, but Little Brown was nowhere.

This is a little timid creature who never leaves my side when I am at home. I knew immediately that my premonition was spot on.

Little Brown was a beautiful Havannah Brown, an extremely rare and beautiful breed. She was also a rescue. She had developed feline AIDS or Leukemia and I think I was just in denial about how sick she had been. The vets could do nothing anymore, but I thought that she still had a couple of years.

She has now been gone for 6 nights. She would never survive one night out. I think she possibly went off to die.

RIP Liitle Brown, my sweet, sweet child

As for Trsted Beauty, well she was picked up by the AA and taken to mechanical hospital. I am driving a hired car while she is being repaired. Looks like KTP will have to wait for another year.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:41 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Hilda, as I write poor Trusted Beauty is still in hospital :( but I have hope that all will work out well.

Pumbaa, it was strange, stanger was a feeling of dread that came over me the last night at Lower Sabie. I was Little Brown's world, she was quite dog like in her devotion.

Melp, thank you :k I know how much you miss your Maxie and understand.

Lion Queen, poor Trusted Beauty has had her challenges. She certainly saved my daughter from serious injury 2 years ago. Maybe she is an old lady in car years, but she has performed well.

VVV, I still feel sad when I go to bed and Little Brown is not there. She would sometimes call me if she thought I was staying up too late. I understand what you mean.

Cathy, of dear, you sound like someone I can relate to. Many people say, its only an animal. It's not, its about connection. Its about caring for something beyond yourself. There was a lot of money spent looking for the "God particle", as its called. "Silly", I thought, "I find it everyday in a cat's purr."

Wendy, more about Desi on the way 8)

Ils, I am back on track. :thumbs_up:

Granny, more coming. A good question about my mother and a good way to end.

This is a picture of Little Brown taken by Melph's dad. She really was a little thing.. and very, very special. She brought me joy, laughter.. more than a little frustration. She hated my computer keyboard. I can read books now without competition.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:45 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I slept fitfuly on my first night home. I wondered if Desi would recover. The next morning I was woken by a wet nose and a wagging tail.

Breakfast it said.

Desi, recovered with the pack

I took Desi back to the vet as requested. She could not believe the quick recovery. I was given the bill and found that I had just enough left over to pay for her treatment.

I thought long and hard about my gremlins, about the strange happenings. This was the culmination of many catasprophes not mentioned.

Do places carry their own energy, sometimes bringing manevolent forces?

Since moving to the Cradle, there had been a collision of worlds. My mother has stayed with me for a while. She was worried about her crazy daughter, again taking a road less travelled. I had found a site of some strange worship close to my house. Do demonic forces stay around?

I looked at the beauty around me, realising that this was a world untouched by the pretext of civilisation.

On the night of the full moon, the moon closest to the earth, I followed its journey.

It rose, eierily, over a graveyard. Its a graveyard not captured in the photo.

It moved over abandoned labourers cottages. The abandonment so symbolic, like the moon, of constant change.

It seemed to hover, mysteriously, over the site of some place of ritual.

I thought of how this strange, full moon, so close, would not be seen for another 200 hundred years. I would be long gone. What of this place?

It hung in the air, silent, still, yet not still.

I thought of how we fuss over things so futile, all gone... all gone, except for what is carried in an energy far more miraculous and mysterious than we can ever perceive. We can only ever see dimly.

I am reading James Stevenson Hamilton's, "South African Eden". I am again struck at how close Kruger came to never being. He called it "his Cinderella". I am struck by his lack of ego, his total dedication. I am at a point where he is slowly starting to have a sense of mission, of the importance of his work.

Like all of us, he stumbed in darkness.

Why this ending, so philosophic?

Maybe, because the past year has made me very aware of both the gremlins and miracles that greet us each moment.

I think of beauty in all its fragility, its vulnerability and find in Kruger a lived example of the wonder of belief and dedication.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3