Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 2 of 3
 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gogo and the gremlins
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:20 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I usually love the LOwer Sabie area. The S28 in particular holds many good moments. 8)

This was however not one of those moments. :( My mind was racing, my heart was racing. The sardines and tuna were no longer a problem, I had no appetite, even for my favourite foods.

My drive was rather mechanical, I did know that I needed to get to Malelane, I had 2 nights there. If need be I could stay, hermited in my bungalow, listening to the birds.. but what then?

I tried to get some pictures of these feathered friends, but they were impossible. The trees were laden, but each time I drew near, they flew off as if laughing.

The Ntandanyathi hide, looking lovely and green.

When I reached the Duke water hole turning, I was told of a large pride of Lion on the road. I made my way towards the sighting.

On my way, I passed this curious creature. Was he waiting for MM to be hung out to dry? I was really getting rather paranoid.

I found the Lions, but was too anxious to feel much other than irritation at all the cars. Very unlike MM.
I did take 1 picture of a dump of yellow sandbags.

I spent a little time with this beautiful, lonely creature. Everything felt lonely and sad.

I turned towards Croc Bridge and enjoyed some ellies. Normaly I would have spent a long time with such a special herd of breeding ellies.

I thought of my last encouter with a very special ellie on this road and my sombe mood increaced.

RIP Duke

As I neared Croc Bridge, I knew that my options were very limited. I needed to somehow get hold of the practice manager and explain my predicament. She was the person who had assured me that I had nothing to worry about, I would receive payment very soon.

Would I get hold of her though? She too was on holiday?
Would she have her computer available?

even if I managed to reach her, would she be able to do the transaction in time?

if not, I would certainly have to find a way home and cut short my trip to this special place.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:45 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I hate asking favours, seeking help. :evil:

I knew that the only person who could help me was the boss lady, the lady who monitered our accounts. Would I even be able to get hold of her?

I remember a sinking feeling once when I went to climb in my car to go home..only there was no car. It was the same tightness in the chest, the blood rushing to my ears as I picked up my phone.

I thought of these special creatures also being attacked by evil gremlins :cry:

I felt relieved when I hear the familiar voice on the other side.

Once pleliminaries are over, the conversation went something like this.

MM: Am I more valuable to the business in the Park, or back at Gauteng?
B.L: Well we do value you, MM.
MM: Remember Mr xxx, who was meant to pay me, well he hasn't

BL: and? He will don't worry, I'll sort it out once we start again.
MM: My car went up in a puff of smoke and I spent my holiday money fixing it. I was relying on the payment to get me back to Gauteng.

B.L: shocked silence

MM: I am sitting with very little petrol and sardines and too much tuna.

B.L: I am so sorry, I will do an EFT immediately. We can sort it out when you get back.

MM. This what I feel like after I have been to the dentist and I feel that I faced my greatest terror and survived.

I saw that while I had been talking, I had a missed call. It was EJ. 8)

This is where I made another call.

"MM", she said, "I have to do a sunset drive later. I don't usually do this, but if you are willing to take the risk, you can drive to Berg n Dal with me. Sometimes there is a cancellation, then you can help me with the lights, if not you will need to entertain youself".

MM always knows how to entertain herself in Kuger.

An entertaining bird thing.

Now that I knew that money was coming in, I looked in my wallet and worked out that I had enough cash to go a get some boerrie and rolls in Malelane for a boerrie meal. No tuna or sardines tonight. 8)

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:19 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
C.B., every moment of sunshine became important. :thumbs_up:

Pumbaa, not quite all right :wink: but I had a brief respite. :whistle:

Lion Queen, under any cicumstances, boerrie roll is 8)

Hugh :thumbs_up: cuz

I ducked into Malelane and bought my boerrie, then checked into camp at the gate. As ever, they were efficient and charming. I was allocted bungalow number 1. It is such a warm and homely little camp that I cannot say I noticed any favourite spot.

My first impression of Malelane.

Before leaving for Berg n Dal EJ and I had a chat. I was thoroughly enchanted by these little critters. I never tire of watching their antics and before the stay was over, I would have experienced first hand what a clever and crafty bunch they were.

We left for the drive and I waited with anticipation to find out if the vehicle was full. :pray: It was not. In actual fact, at one point it seemed as though it was going to be rather empty.

I group of Americans arrived at the last minute. One seemed to be holding a bottle of alcohol. Before there could be any confusiion, EJ spelt out the rules. No alcohol on drives :rtm:

I am not much of a rule person myself. I try to be considerate, but not all people act with consideration. EJ spelt out what was and was not allowed at the beginning of the trip and I could see how it set the boundries from the start.

Well done EJ. :thumbs_up:

I have learnt that the best guides are those with a passion. They can allow the bush to live in other peoples eyes. EJ brought the bush to life. Not every drive produces wild and wonderful monents, so the pooh driven cooling system of these birds offers a great way to think lateraly.

We did see this feathered friend, who refused to pose. Any suggestions?

The tourists were fascinated by the meandering hippo in the pitch dark and a Hyena provided much amusement.

My sighting of the night, no maybe even the trip was when EJ suddenly stopped........

She shone her torch into the pitch dark, into a tree, into a branch. Wound tightly and fast asleep was a Boomslang :dance: :dance: :dance: I have never seen a sight like this before. It did not move and we were able to look closely at its intricate beauty. I cannot tell you how amazing this was.

Just before we moved, I noticed a tiny nest. This was was of the acacia thorn trees and I remember being told that the waxbill builds its nest well into the branches of thorn trees. It certainly looked like the delicate waxbill nest.

No wonder the snake was so content. It was busy digesting a hearty supper. I felt a moment of sadness. I love these little birds.

Kruger is certainly not for sissies... but I still shed a silent tear.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:02 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Hotshot, stick around and see :hmz:

Val, I'm afraid this is far from over. :wink:

Hilda, I saw a lot of Rhino and a lot of anti poaching activity. I was horrified that Rhino had been slaughtered while I was in the Park :evil:

Tawny, it was a good night drive and it was a sighting to remember forever.

Wendy, lateness to a camp is the best guarentee for an irresistable sighting :shock:

F.C. they are among my favourite birds. The one I posted was actually of a cheecky little man in Letaba. He was protecting his territory for all its worth.

Anri, keep :pray: more to come.

Lion Queen, more on its way :popcorn:

Me Skarabee, my monkey story is far from over. Clever little blighters :roll:

VVV, they are cute, the monkeys, I mean. Never a boring moment with them around. More to come.

I realised once the night drive was over that it was too late for boerrie and I was exhausted. I suggested to Ecojunkie that we have brunch together once I had filled up with petrol and picked up a few provisions in Malelane.

I was up early, and despite the bright red petrol light, decided to take a slow leisurely drive to Majulu waterhole. On the way a couple stopped my car to warn me that on of my reverse lights was not working.

I thanked them and decided to stop at Midas as well to replace my stolen jack and emergency car tools.

The waterhole was quiet, but even the silence is bliss.

A few watchful and beautiful creatures on my way.

I was semi succesful at Malelane. Midas was a longer stop than anticipated. The young fellow serving me looked as though he had had rather a heavy night of celebrations. His hands were shaking as he tried to find all that I required.

I watched in sympathy. I know that kind of headache only too well. :whistle:

At last I was back to my beloved Kruger, hungry, very hungry and ready for a boerrie breakfast and chat. I pulled in for my last purchase from the vendors, some lovely, ripe, delicious mango. 8)

Once through Malelane Gate, all that I had on my mind was food.

The turning towards Malelane came into view.. and I could not believe my eyes.. :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

no, not now :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

a traffic road block..

I now had 2 valid licences, not one one me, one valid temporary licence, lost.. eaten by gremlins.. and a story too long and complicated to believe. :shock:

I wanted to sink under the water and throw this uninvited gremlin off my back.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:30 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Hilda, it sounds as though you have a bit of experience on this one :wink:

Anri, I was thrilled to see the Parrot. There were actually 2, but my camera was not co-operating.

Pumbaa, this was the 30th and there was a big drive to keep us all well behaved.

Hotshot, were my daughter with me, it would have worked like a charm.

Radman, thanks for the offer. I might well take you up on that one. 8)

Shi, I could even smack with boerrie, if I could see the darn things.

Wendy, indeed, indeed. :wall:

C.B. its not over, believe me. I'm still taking my Valium at regular intervals :wink:

Buglette, road block coming up.

F.C. I was very happy as they are two birds that usualy alude me.

Lion Queen, I can watch these little mongoose for hours. I find them so entertaining.

Granny, welcome :D

Normana :lol: :lol: :lol: yes, sir :thumbs_up:

I was pulled over. The officer came over to my window.

"May I see your licence?", he asked.

I smiled. I tried to look innocent, helpless..

"No," I replied
I then started my story. Not the whole story, who would believe the whole story?
I just told him about the bit about my daughter having my licence.. and she was in Cape Town.

I showed him my old, now expired license and the old temp, so that he could see that I was a legit driver.

He was confused, so he called his supervisor.

His supervisor was not happy, in actual fact he was very grumpy.

"Why did your daugher not post it or courier it?" :rtm:

Well, because it was Christmas.

I suddenly felt very tired.

The rest of the officers, all of them, realising that here was a Gogo of interest, grouped around my car.

I was definately the star attraction

At that moment, a car pulled up, driving towards the gate.

I heard my name called. I waved to the occupants. I thought it was Dave and Jan, forum members.

"Hello Dave", I said.

Too late, I realised that it was not Dave, but a client also on holiday :redface: :redface: :redface: and his name was not Dave.

I could see that the supervisor was really irritated, but who wants to arrest a Gogo? :wink:

Go to the Police Station and get an affidavid :rtm: he commanded.

I drove meekly back to the gate.

"Where is the police station?" I asked.

Just then my client and his wife walked out of the office :redface: :redface: :redface:

What must they think? I wondered.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:15 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
This a difficult report to write. As I play with the computer keys, I am wishing that someone wcould spear me with a Valium dart.

My youngest daughter once remarked.
"I love travelling with mommy, we find such interesting places when she gets lost".

Certainly, I did not expect to have to do a tour of Malelane, in particular not their Police station.

Let me tell you, it is actually a lovely little town, rather pretty once off the main road. The Police Station too, is rather attractive.

but a Police Station remains a Police Station. :whistle: not a place to be while on holiday.

Every so often, when I get swamped with a good dollup of self pity, something happens to leave me feeling humbled... not humiliated, but humbled.

The station was filled with people needing certificates to be certified. Poor people, looking for hope. These were people who had dared to dream of a better life, applied themselves, and were carrying their dreams in these precious peices of paper.

Courage and hope can be so fragile and so beautiful.

I was grateful that I had the possibility of a good life, thanks to a good education. I waited for my turn, silent, thinking of the many moments of joy and happiness I was able to experience.

I though of the road we all need to travel, uncertain, unpredictable.

I was stopped again by "the cops" after my return from the Police station. I could see by the smile on the officers face that he had not enjoyed the discomfort of the Gogo.

Ecojunkie told me she had to do a sunset drive and I could risk coming again. Ever game for a trip, MM said: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

We passed a yellow ribbon, Leopard72. He was still looking for Leopards.

I was again fortunate, there was room on the chariot 8)

We had a lovely drive. We also had the joy of meeting another yellow ribbon. Harpoor sat at the back, noticing everthing. It was soon obvious that this was not just another casual one off tourist.

Stunning 8)

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:36 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I woke up looking forward to the day.

I felt rather sad to be leaving Malelane. I found it homely, peaceful and just unpretentious.

My morning view.

I was really looking forward to my fresh Mango for breakfast. As children we would eat the delicious fruit in the bath, the juice running down our hands. Afterwards, we would have some of the joy taken away by the mango strings between the teeth.

Now I could be completly decadent. 8) No strings to contend with.. I set the table, well sort of :wink: not a sardine tin in sight.. and prepared for a feast fit for the angels. Ah, yes, I need a damp cloth :hmz: let me fetch one quickly.

MM :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:
Where was your mind?

MM's Mango feast.

Who me? a thief?..... Never

I decided to travel to Pretorius Kop via Afsaal.

On my way I again met up with Leopard72, smiling from ear to ear. He had seen his Leopard. :mrgreen:

A sage and wiser beast than MM.

Over the bridge close to Afsaal I saw these handsome creatures. Life was good, but now I was really hungry.

Afsaal was surprisingly quiet. The alcohol ban was certainly having an effect. It was New Years Eve, known for some pretty hectic crowds.

I ordered my bacon and egg toasted sarmie.. a Kruger tradition and went to look for my favourite Afsaal friend.

The manager hovered behind me making sure that my flash did not go off. I think that he has also fallen in love with Scopsie. I was very lucky that Scopsie was so close to the lower level of the tree, but why did he pose behind a branch?

The sandwich was really good and suitably nourished, I joined Trusted Beauty to head off towards the Voortrekker road.

As I was ready to close my door, a figure approached. Another Yellow Ribbon.. Mizzbee. :dance: :dance: :dance:

How wonderful to enjoy a few moments, too few moments I thought.

then I was off.

The final moments of 2011 were approaching, what would it bring?

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:23 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I have been looking through my pictures and was surpised to see that I had no record of my trip down Voortrekker road.

It was very quiet, both animals and cars seemed to have disappeared. I usually enjoy the Voortrekker road, regardless of sighting, but I was being gripped with a powerful melancholy. I was enjoying the new smoothness, no corrugations, but there was a creeping sense of dread.

even the bush was strangely silent.

Once at Pretorius Kop, I booked in.

I have a soft spot for the camp, but my mood would not shift.

I found my bungalow, well situated, but still I felt quite anxious. As I opened the door, I noticed that someone had been sick. I domestic worker was trying to clean it up, without sucess. Not a great start :( .

After bringing the essentials indoor, I tried to relax for a moment. It was impossible. I just did not like this bungalow and wanted to get out as soon as possible.

It was now creeping towards 4pm, my usual hour for a sunset drive.

I usually try to spend the last evening of the year alone, in a reflective space. This was going to something special, or so I thought.

Shortly after leaving camp, the heavens opened.

I had decided to spend sometime at Napi boulders, so I drove slowly towards my destination.

The rain pounded on the roof as I sat waiting for the year to pass. It had certainly brought some challenges. Time for a change, MM thought.

Every so often a car would pass and ask what I had seen.
Just thinking, said MM.

there was nothing to see.

Eventually, I started up, almost the only car on the road.

Once back at the bungalow, the sense of oppresion increased. I broke my resolve to spend the night in reflection and logged onto the forum. It did lift my mood slightly.

Oh dear, then a very unwelcome friend decided to drop in :wink:

my hayfever :(

I am very scatterbrained, but one thing I never forget is my hayfever medication. When it strikes, it hits hard.

I took my medication and even before the bewitching hour of midnight, I drifted off to sleep... in my semi-somulent state, I heard a choir far off, I checked to make sure my medication was close by... and then nothing.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:42 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
SuzieB, indeed, it became stranger and stranger. :roll:

Heksie, I am still puzzled at the next sequence of events. :?

Rookie, I hope that Scopsie is ok. Oh dear, in terms of places, atmospheres, spooks and bungalows.. read on :hmz:

Ah, Hilda, indeed.. I had my medication. Read on :wink:

Dellac, welcome :D gremlin, little blighter. :whistle:

Aat, great to see you here and I am looking forward to the day we can meet in our blessed place. 8)

Me Skarabee, I am sorry that you could not do Voortrekker. :( There is something about the road that I really love, regardless of sightings. Of course it helps to have this. :wink:

Hi Melp, :D stick around. Lovely to have you here. I am sure a part of you is else where though.

Hi Tawny, thanks for following :thumbs_up: and believe me it gets stranger.

Bushbuddies, indeed the sun came out. :lol: :lol: but not before a strange discovery.

Mizzbee, it was a delight running into you :D and I am so sorry that we could not enjoy more time together.

Sharifa, Scopsie is always one of my stops. A dear little creature.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:00 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
To continue:

I was not woken up by the birds
I was not woken up by the sun
I was not woken up by the sounds of people moving..
the murmer of voices preparing for the day.

I was not even woken by the monkeys

I was woken up by my sneezing and runny eyes/nose :evil:

Not a problem, I thought, I'll take my medication and doze for a little while.

I felt, eyes closed for where I usually keeep it, next to my bed.

there was nothing there :hmz:

Not yet perturbed, I decided to nip out to the ablutions and come back and have a really good search.

I started at my computer
I looked under the bed
I stripped the bed
I unpacked my suitcase
I looked through my books
I stripped the bed next to me

I looked in the fridge
I looked behind the fridge

I lifted the mattress.

Nothing :big_eyes:

by now I was in a panic.

It was difficult to breathe properly, my eyes were streaming and my sneezes were breaking world records.

This was the strangest missing item I had yet to experience. Remember, this is the one medication I never leave behind and have never lost. It is usually stuck to me like glue, just in case of such an episode.

"Well, I will have to go to Hazyview for more meds", I thought.

Then I remembered:
This was not only a public holiday, it was also a Sunday.

Suddenly, I wanted to be sick.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:15 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I think the domestic staff were rather bemused at MM searching rubbish bins. They are more used to these critters.

I asked everyone to keep a look out for my medication and made myself ready for the day.

I waited for the shop to open and went to have a look at their stock pile of meds. Surely they must have something for flu? I would try that.

The shop assistant took one look at me and reached for the asprin, no doubt thinking this was new year babbelas. I smiled and shook my head. I asked him to take all his medication off the shelf so that I could look at the ingredients.

I am sensitive to certain chemicals in flu medication and have to steer clear. It results in dancing on the ceiling, passing out on a whim, or just loss of balance and vomiting.

It was important that this mouse made a wise choice, or else she would be hanging on a string.

I was delighted to find a medication that I had used extensively in the past on my children with good effect. I was rather surprised that it was on the shelf, as it was now a prescription only drug, due to abuse. It contains one ingredient that can send some people on rather a happy trip. It is also found in some slimming preparations.

I paid for the medication from dwindling resources, but was happy at the thought of perhaps a little bit of relief.

I checked my now crumbly crackers and very sad looking cheese, my coffee mug, filled with steaming coffe and left for Mestel dam.

I was soon delighted to see a couple of cars driving slowly. It was only a couple of cars, but I again picked up that excited feeling that I was in for something special.

Indeed I was.

A lone Cheetah, rather small, but adult, seemed oblivious to the stir she/he was creating.

the sighting was all too brief and the feline beauty took off into the bush.

I arrived at Mestel dam. I had decided to have a long slow breakfast of crackers and coffee.

I have only taken one picture of the dam.

Why?

At first I thought that I might be having a panic attack. I have never had one, but know the symptoms. I also felt that I deserved one after the past few days of tension. :wink:

It was not a panic attack, it was a sensitivity to the medication. :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

Wave after wave of nausea took over and my heart felt as though it was going to race right out my body. I thought, with some trepidation that if I open my car door and threw up all over this peaceful scene, the car parked behind me would think this was most definately a New Year hangover.

I was unlikely to get sympathy and I also did not want to spoil his experience.

I started up my car and left. I needed to be in camp in case I did collapse and need medical attention.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:48 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I arrived back at camp feeling aggitated, nauseous and very sorry for myself.

If I was going to react to the medication, why could I not get an energy bunny high?

Life was not fair :evil:

Shortly after lunch, I started to feel reasonably normal again. I was not able to look at sardines, but managed to rustle up some 2 minute noodles, another gem I had found lurking in the back of my grocery cupbourd at home.

As the afternoon sped towards sundown, I readied myself for the drive. Tissues, lots of tissues.

If anyone could assist me with this bird, I would be extremely grateful.

I saw an animal cross the road :dance: :dance: :dance: about dog size.

It was a side striped Jackal. This was good after all. He lay down for a while, frustratingly impossible for my camera, looked at me and walked away.

I decided to spend as much time at Transport dam as possible. I have had many good encounters there and even with nothing spectacular, it is a special place.

I looked at my watch, time to leave.

as I drove up towards the main road, a stream of cars came belting towards me. :big_eyes:
What is up? I thought.

A car stopped next to me..

"go back", he said, "a male ellie ..

There was no time to turn, no space to turn. Fear is catching and for a brief moment my heart stopped.

I looked at a very aimiable big fellow ambling towards me. He did not look fierce at all. In fact he just looked like he was taking a pleasant afternoon stroll to have a drink.

I remembered all the chat about ellies and did the most sensible thing. I pulled up to the side of the road and switched my engine off.

The ellie too gave way and we had a moment together.

Later a car stopped me:
"you are a very brave lady", he said.
I smiled. Nope, just pre-occupied with gremlins.

Once back home, I heard of Sanparks staff being involved in Rhino poaching. It cut me like a knife. The sense of betrayal was immense.

How could they?

I went to bed, still sniffing, but exhausted.
Given the still runny nose, I had a surprisingly good nights sleep.

What would tomorrow bring? I wondered.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:16 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I woke up on Monday the 2nd January. It was still a public holiday and I was a little concerned about finding a Pharmacy open.

It was a slow start. I decided to exit at Numbi and enter at Phabeni and slowly make my way towards Lower Sabie.

This was going to be the highlight of my trip, a night in the Lower Sabie tented camp. I love that place.

I made my way to Hazyview, and much to my relief, the Clicks Pharmacy was open. 8) It took rather a long time, as there was only one pharmacist on duty, but to me it was heaven to get my meds.

I made my way back to Phabeni and decided to stop at Nyamundwa dam. I was due for crumbly crackers and chesse. 8)

I heard my cell phone give the "message" signal. A quick check showed Shi's name. She was leaving that day and wishing me a good stay.

I decided to send her an sms...

only to be chilled by these words.

your account is barred from sending messages or calls

:big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

I could not believe it. :big_eyes:

I knew that I had paid my account. That I knew. Why was I barred?

I was not worried about myself, I was worried about my son.

My son's main aim through much of his student life had been to hold down the settee. He was also responsible for managing, coaching and advising the Proteas cricket team.. via telepathic powers from the couch.

Once finished studying he had become a member of staff of a certain green bank. He had started at a time when a new IT system was going to be launched.

I saw such a change, a metamorphasis.. the young creature developed wings and a sense of responsibility.

I had often heard him on the phone, at all hours of morning, night and the times when witches and gouls roam the street.

My responsible, serious son on the left.

I had once asked him if it was difficult. He told me that it was essential he be available if there was a crash on the system, as down time, even 5 minutes caused billions of loss.

My son's phone was still linked to my contract. :big_eyes: What if the bank had an emergency? What if the bank needed him? I knew that he was on call, as most people were away.

I tried phoning MTN.. this call is barred a mechanical voice said.

I could not make any outside calls :wall: :wall: :wall: not to anyone.

Nothing to it, I had to return to Hazyview.

What if there was a systems crash and the bank could not get hold of my son :big_eyes: the name Nick Leeson came to mind. We have learnt that banks crash :big_eyes: even big and rich banks crash.

My heart was racing, my mouth dry.. crackers stuck like sand.

My poor son.

Would I find a MTN open?

I knew that the banks were not open :cry: :cry: :cry:

I did my full 50km/hour.. knowing, I had made a mess :big_eyes:

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:59 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I arrived at the Hazyview centre and the car guard gave me a big grin.

"Did you forget something?"

I asked if there was an MTN outlet and he replied in the affirmative.. "but I am not sure if they are open today"
My heart sank.

I found the place, together with 2 very bored looking members of staff. At least I could break their boredom.

The more senior person phoned the call centre.. and was put on hold :whistle:
eventually he found a listening ear and handed the phone to me..

the call went like this:

Call lady: you have an outstanding amount.
MM: No, I don't, I paid last month.

Call lady: We send an incoice on the 16th and you have the 11th to pay.
MM: it is the 2nd, a public holiday, I still have 9 days to pay.

Call lady: it says you must pay, I cannot help you. This is a business account, only a business consultant can help you.
MM: Please put me through to a business consultant. :pray:
Call lady: I can't, its a public holiday.

:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

There was nothing to it, I had to pay.

I went to the fellow behind the counter..
"Do you take cash?"

"No mam", he said, "we don't deal with money at all"

but the banks are closed :sniper:

Fortunately I had my computer and internet banking.

I ran back upstairs and entered my pin.

Would I have enough?

I made the payment. I looked at the last R20 in my account and felt sick.

I had entered a mad world where I felt trapped and remotely controlled.

Dear MTN,

how dare you show such disrespect?

I have been a customer for many, many years. I upgrade, pay my accounts and add to your many, many profits.
To cut services on a public holiday is an act of stupidity and an act of cynicism. What were you thinking?

Certainly, you were not thinking of your customers. I am one of the fortunate customers with access to the internet. What of those less fortunate?

What of those on the road, vulnerable on their way home?

MTN, shame on you, shame on you

I left once more for Phabeni.
Once again my bank accounts were empty and my way home was uncertain..

A truck passed me.

I looked at the young men dressed in camoflage sitting in the back.

I flashed my lights to say "thank you" for putting their lives on the line for these creatures.

They waved and smiled.

Indeed, worried as I was, my empty bank account was proudly empty. It was not sullied, it was not corrupt. I thought of the pain and suffering greed brings to so many.

I thought of goodness, of sacrifice. I remembered the many who touched my own life with understanding and care.

I thought of the forum, the people I have met and the richness it has brought. People who give in silent acts of kindness.

Indeed,

I am rich

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:56 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
When I looked through my pictures, I found this.

I was perplexed, where was it from?

Then I remembered. I did go to Lake Panic. Such was my mind set though, that I did not stay long. I usually love this place. I can unwind and relax and just sit. I have very few photos. I had a big lump of panic in my throat.

One of my few pictures of the Lake.

I decided to leave for Lower Sabie along the Eloff street highway, as it is fondly and not so fondly known.

Shortly after Nkhulu picnic site, my heart started beating a little faster. This was not a MTN beating.. this was a traffic jam.. something exciting beating. 8)

I stopped and waited. There was little that I could do..

cars everywhere

this was obviously a big one

next thing, I realised the action, whateer it was, was coming in my direction.

:dance: :dance: :dance:

then I saw it

a headless Leopard

nope..
not quite

an abstract Leopard

ah yes, a :cam: shy Leopard

I could not believe my luck... yup luck :dance: :dance: :dance:

Leopard in love

I had a brief, but fantastic view of Leopard in their courting ritual.

I heard the love song of the male. Strong, brutal, like their lives, a sound without sentiment.

I managed one :cam: from my shaky, adrenalin pumped position.

It lasted just a few minutes, but it might have been a life time.
The two, with much more urgent things on their minds, disappeared, walking towards the river.

I left
content 8)

Twenty minutes later

another traffic jam.

Again, I am one of the few cars going towards Lower Sabie.

I watch the slow procession following some mysterious creature.

the elusive one

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

no, not one, but two 8)

I cannot believe what is happening.

This sighting was quicker, yet closer.

please move your head, just a little bit for a :cam:

hang on a minute, don't be shy, I won't hurt you.

Darn :roll:

Well, I thought, the gremlins might be after me....but the angels of Kruger have rewarded me.

Four Leopards in twenty minutes 8)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next