Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: twigga Guess who's back, back again... Dec 2011
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:05 pm 

In paradise!
:dance: :dance: :dance:

Just 4 more long dreadfull days... :slap:
The plan of action:
10 December - Skukuza
11,12,13 December - Satara
14 December - Skukuza

Going full circle, will keep you posted.... :D

African sunset by twigga2011, on Flickr

Longing for that african sunset...

Post subject: Re: Guess who's back, back again...
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:30 pm 

Only 1 more night then......it's coming, it's coming........
Wishlist:Lotsa leopard & cheetah.BUT will focus on the small 5 as well...
Will keep in touch....

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:17 pm 

Hi all! Finally time to post, 1 & 1/2 exciting days bhind us!10/12 Yesterday, for a first few hours in the park, we did fairly good! 3 of the big 5, lots of general game! No big cats though....Skukuza alive and well! Much needed rain in some parts though...
11/12-What a priceless Morning drive! Awesome lion sighting& .................................black rhino! 2nd time ever! So blessed....Tomorrow's of to Satara.Till later...

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:12 am 

Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh, so sad.....Almost back home. Awesome trip! Had a few hick ups & negative experiences and I'm not even talking about our night drive that was so awfull!

Leave all of you with 1last thought, when you see some1 doing wrong in Kruger don't wait till you're back on the forum and let it get into another out of control topic, talk directly to the culprits and report the people. So much variaty of ways to do! I'm so tired of just always seeing wrongdoing and keeping quit!Speak to those people getting out at a bridge with lions in the riverbed or like when you see lots of litter at the riverbed at Nkuhlu with monitor lizzard go and talk to someone right there and
then don't wait to blur it out on the forum, do something about it!

Time for keeping quiet is long gone...... :rtm:

Last edited by twigga on Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:43 pm 

Hi mites!

Finally time to start! :dance:

Our final itinirary:
10 - 11 Dec - Skukuza
12 - 13 Dec - Satara
14 Dec - Skukuza

Let me just start by saying it's no coincidence that the lions won the Currie Cup!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Spoiler alert!

Day 1 - Skukuza
Arrived at Malelane gate approx. 11:00. Luckily overcast, so not that hot.
All photos taken in this TR by Hanneri Mouton - Job well done! :thumbs_up:

Lots of general game on our way....Two missed leopard sightings. I hate it when you arrive on a scene with lots of cars and they say, you just missed the leopard walking across the road! :evil:
Patience, patience, patience.....

Love Owl by twigga2011, on Flickr

Just love the shape of this owls nest, looks like a heart. Owl chick, any ideas?

Arrived at Skukuza 14:30. Just in time for check - in.
Went to Lake Panic for our afternoon drive.

African Jacana by twigga2011, on Flickr

Lake Panic by twigga2011, on Flickr

Last edited by twigga on Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:41 pm 

Day 2 – Skukuza

The early bird catches the ………………………….lions!

Lovely overcast day, and a few water puddles in road from previous nights rain.
5:00 and whe were up & away. We were heading to Mlondozi for breakfast. First sighting of the day, these 3 sleepy heads not even 10 km up the river road. Doing what they do best.

Lions by twigga2011, on Flickr

Time to move on, you never know what lies ahead the next curve……………..Not even 2km from the sleepy heads this lady greeted us with her “kill”. Definitly not out of hunger, as you can still see there’s blood on her face from another kill. So naughty, but priceless!

Lion by twigga2011, on Flickr

Just before turn off to Mlondozi, Pumbaa!

Vlakvark by twigga2011, on Flickr

Mlondozi dam, was so shocked to see so dry. Yes, Kruger in desperate need of more rain………

Mlondozi by twigga2011, on Flickr

Till later……………

Last edited by twigga on Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:42 pm 

Day 3 – Satara

Hi all!
Thanks Pumbaa, anne-marie,Rookie,Wendy A,Anri, & Bush Baptist for comments! No, we didn’t see another kill with tortoise lioness, but we can’t imagine that just the tortoise could cause that bloody face & paws. I don’t know, we could be wrong…
:thumbs_up: for owl confirmation!

But first; Our blackie from yesterday. Priceless, we couldn’t believe our luck! 2nd time ever! Need I say more…

Blackie by twigga2011, on Flickr

Blackie by twigga2011, on Flickr

So let us continue! We were heading to Satara this day from Skukuza, a long drive ahead for us, but all worthwhile. From the get go it was a sunny day, so we knew it was going to be a scorcher!

The usual suspects on highwater bridge caused for a lot of laughter…..

Clowns by twigga2011, on Flickr

We crossed the bridge. At the T junction we were bound to turn right, for Tshokwane. I looked left up in the road for any oncoming traffic and saw a car parked in the road at a rather unusual angle! We knew this could only mean one thing, something worthwhile! I grabbed the binocs and could see 3 black tip flickering of tails! Left it is……………….
We were greeted by this sighting!

We could count 6 lions, lying in and around the road. Suddenly a courier truck approached from behind, definitely not interested in the lions and wormed his way through the them! The cats were forced to stand up and walked across the road and lie in the shade of the entrance to a no entry , Our lion luck continued………….

Fallen victim, surprised how intack this carcass was.
Carcass by twigga2011, on Flickr

We turned into Leeupan, but a grumpy ellie did not want to share this pan…….Was forced to reverse.1 Elephant, Us – 0.From now on it is known as elephant pan to us! Arrived at Tshokwane at approx 10:00, by now it was a lovely 35 celsius! We quickly got a take away and then we were off again….. At the turn off to your right on dirt road not even 1km from Tshokwane we could see about 4 cars, and we decided to check it out, 4 male lions resting under tree. No worthwile photos…………

To be continued.......

Last edited by twigga on Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:52 pm 

Thanks Rookie, Vlakvarkvrou,anne-marie,Pumbaa,Elsa,Anri,WendyA,RayK,Cheetah2111,Sharifa,Giraffe for your comments! :thumbs_up:

Day 3 - Continues........
From Tshokwane we decided to go have a look at Nkumbe. What a shock!
December 2011

Nkumbe 2011 by twigga2011, on Flickr

December 2010 – This photo was taken exactly a year ago……

Nkumbe 2010 by twigga2011, on Flickr

Took a few photos and head back again. Approx. 1 km from the t – junction we saw a few cars on a bridge. They were scanning with binocs so it had to be something good! Wait for it………3 spots of a leopard’s leg, LOR! This is what we saw

LOR by twigga2011, on Flickr

Our half an hour in the scorching African sun was rewarded for a few seconds, and then he disappeared.

LOR by twigga2011, on Flickr

This lovely breeding herd greeted us, on the open plains. It’s such a warm feeling when you can see the landscape change so dramatically, from intense bush to open plains!

Elephants by twigga2011, on Flickr

We arrived at Satara at 12:00, we almost melted. We didn’t look forward to the 2 long hot hours that we still had to spend in the car. SO………….we took a chance and what do you know, our hut door was open & ready :wink: :whistle:

Night drive

Night drive by twigga2011, on Flickr

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:52 pm 

Day 4 – Satara
:thumbs_up: Hanneri for contribution to this TR.
We took a morning drive to Olifants on the H1-4, rather tired after our late night drive. We saw lots of general game and a hyena on a mission. This zebra was an absolute model and posed for the most beautiful photos
Zebra by twigga2011, on Flickr

At the Olifantsriver bridge we stretched our legs and watched this mother & baby hippo walking around in the shallow waters.
Chompies by twigga2011, on Flickr

After breakfast we relaxed at the viewpoint at Olifants.
Olifants by twigga2011, on Flickr

We planned to take an afternoon drive to Orpen on the H7 and back, but we were "attacked" by lions.
At the Nsemani Dam there were a few cars parked and as we approached we saw this male.
Spot the lions by twigga2011, on Flickr

It was only at home when we were looking through the pics that we saw the 2 lionesses at the back!
Can you spot them?

After a few minutes someone told us that if we moved forward we could see the cubs as well.
Cubs by twigga2011, on Flickr

In the mean while, these elephants came to drink. Note her ear, does anybody knows what could cause this defect?
Droopy ear by twigga2011, on Flickr

We decide to drive along, and after about 15 min we turned back. At the dam the lions were nowhere to be found, but we soon caught up! A female was lying in this corner, and the cars surrounded her….
Traffic jam by twigga2011, on Flickr

We wormed our way through the cars and slipped into a dirt road on our left where we waited patiently. Suddenly the cubs appeared out of nowhere and we had first class seats!

Cubs by twigga2011, on Flickr

By the time we were on the tar road again,it was 18:15 and we were 15th in line. This was the last pic before rushing (RESPONSIBLY) to camp………What an awesome sighting we would never forget!
Wildtuin Des 2011 419 by twigga2011, on Flickr

Last edited by twigga on Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:44 pm 

@ MM - thanks for the kind words - appreciated.
@anne-marie - There was still a fair amount of water, but it's drying up quickly.... :roll:
Overall look of dam, cubs in upper right corner.

NSEMANI DAM by twigga2011, on Flickr

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:57 pm 

Hi there mites!
Wishing ya'll a 2012 full of love, peace and happiness!

Longing for Kruger, and I'm not even back a month... :cry:

Day 5 - Skukuza
Our morning started with a bang. Not even 5 min into our “great trek” back to Skukuza, we came across these young ladies, very early.

Wildtuin Des 2011 434 by twigga2011, on Flickr

Minding their own business, a herd of waterbuck came across the road.The wind in favour of the lions. They immediately went into stalking mode and we waited in anticipation. Suddenly all hell broke loose, but they had no success. Really nerfwrecking! :big_eyes:

Wildtuin Des 2011 438 by twigga2011, on Flickr

I must admit, I looked the other way for most of the time, I always dreamt of seeing a kill but when you’re in the moment my nerves got the better of me…… :roll:

Wildtuin Des 2011 446 by twigga2011, on Flickr

Here they are looking very depressed. As far as I understand waterbuck aren't 1 of their favourite meals...

Moving along.
About an hour later we came across 2 hyenas, and soon found out where they were headed to.
Hyena by twigga2011, on Flickr

Hyena by twigga2011, on Flickr

If this is you, please think twice before hanging out of your vehicle! Always set an example for your fellow tourists…Need I say more :rtm:

Kill by twigga2011, on Flickr

The vultures waited in anticipation….They knew what was coming.
Vultures by twigga2011, on Flickr

We were heading to Skukuza for our last night, so sad to leave the open plains and predators of Satara. Neverthe less we saw lions AGAIN before Tshokwane. We were actually looking at waterbuck. Thanks to the friendly girl that pointed out the 2 lion males on the horizon, we would've missed them... :slap:

Payed a visit to most southern baobab in Kruger, magnificent tree!
Baobab by twigga2011, on Flickr

What is this guy hiding from us? Working on his tan perhaps?
Hornbill by twigga2011, on Flickr

We decided to drive to Skukuza via L/Sabie. Just after Nkumbe it started to rain heavily!
These daghaboys enjoyed the much needed relief. Saw 2 big breeding herds of buffalo on this road.
Daghaboys by twigga2011, on Flickr

This little guy crossed the road and caused a huge traffic jam! It’s always so hilarious to see the disappointment on some people’s faces when you point out that that this little guy is the reason for a road block. They jusy can’t enjoy the small fauna Kruger has to offer…
Chameleon by twigga2011, on Flickr

We stopped at Sunset dam, (how can you not?) 4 Flies in one shot! Well done Hanneri :thumbs_up:
Sunset Dam by twigga2011, on Flickr

We went on our refund night drive. Thanks Oupa for sharing your knowledge of the bush, really interesting! At the low level bridge at Skukuza day visitor area we saw 6 lions laying in the riverbed.

To be continued...

Last edited by twigga on Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:42 pm 

Thanks all for the reply!

Time to wrap up...
Day 6 - Home sweet home

It was our last day in the park, we were up and about very early,on our way home :?
How can you leave Kruger if this is the first animal you see, at the famous 4 way crossing in Kruger.....

Wildtuin Des 2011 548 by twigga2011, on Flickr

Wildtuin Des 2011 556 by twigga2011, on Flickr

These busy bodies greeted us very early.
Wildtuin Des 2011 562 by twigga2011, on Flickr

The famous Skukuza pack. One final pic before they made their way to the river road. We decided to move along, by now more than 10 cars. Becides, you never know what awaits around the next curve?
Wildtuin Des 2011 568 by twigga2011, on Flickr

This lonesome hyena soon followed the pack that was clearly on a mission.
We were so excited and grateful for this special sighting! We knew that was a really special cherry on an awesome trip but something was missing? :roll:

We had a terrible excuse of a LOR sighting near Nkumbe and we were scanning with our leopard eyes for the spotted one....But we knew that was pushing our luck/ or is it?

Fairly quiet on our way to Malelane gate and we were chatting away....
Close to Afsaal.Then suddenly! Could it be? Really...........LIT! Hanneri saw it first, our own LIT. There is just an extra special feeling on seeing your own LIT...Well done , a moment I would never forget. We decided to have a stake out, cars came and go, but then again we had the perfect spot at the right angle

Wildtuin Des 2011 576 by twigga2011, on Flickr

Were watching this beauty for approx 45 min then suddenly, he/she yawned and we knew it's coming ;it's coming....

Wildtuin Des 2011 632 by twigga2011, on Flickr

It approached the road and crossed infront of us, and agian we had the perfect spot...
Wildtuin Des 2011 643 by twigga2011, on Flickr

We were so grateful...
Wildtuin Des 2011 644 by twigga2011, on Flickr
Final bum shot.

So all good times must come to an end... :cry: That was another Kruger trip in the bag.
Alot of precious memories, some hick ups along the way, but after all the positives were much much more.
Through the gate, over the bridge a last wave and before long we were already planning our next trip.

Thanks to all that stopped by and shared our adventure with us in the only place where you'll find peace for your soul

Until we're back again,again...
:gflower:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:46 am 

Hi all! Thanks again for all your replys....
For the past two weeks I only scouted the flood thread and it's time to move on with my life! Yes still in aww about the situation, so excited for all fauna & flora, but still sad about all the damage....It was expected clearly as you can see from our comparison of Nkumbe from a year ago, last year an extremely dry year.....

Nkumbe 2010 by twigga2011, on Flickr

Nkumbe 2011 by twigga2011, on Flickr

Anri wrote:
Hi Twigga!
Your wouldn't believe it but I was at your leopard sighting! :hmz: That palio in your last pic was me, I think if you check my TR 'On the stoep of the Kruger' it was your car that was in my pic... I'm glad you got to see you r leopard and it together with the doggies on your last day was a great treat and an awesome last day! :thumbs_up: :dance:

Yes, I can't believe it myself! You had some amazing pics, :thumbs_up:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]