Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 3 of 3
 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Touareg's Dec KTP TR- Hit and miss, a matter of minutes
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:12 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We headed back towards Urikaruus for lunch and a bit of a rest and on the way passes 3 very sleepy cats. We knew thew were not going to move very far and we would find them again later.

Back at Urikaruus Jacques the camp attendant asked us for a lift to the pump up the river bed as he needed to switch it off. It was quite exciting driving on the "forbidden" road and into the river bed. He switched off the pump and all too soon we were back in the cabin. Lunch a quick nap and we were back on the road heading north.

Under a tree we saw two Spotted Thicknees.

The 3 lions were still in dreamland so we kept going after a quick click.

Approaching Craig Lockhart we saw a Tawney close to the waterhole. We crept closer until we were in a better position, switched off and snapped away.

A Cape Crow approached and also took the opportunity for a drink.

The bird was continually keeping an eye on the sky and so did we we, but nothing appeared.

We left and headed south to 14th. Here we saw the lionesses and cubs again. Something was definitely going on as the two large females were lying shoulder to shoulder, ears pinned back and highly agitated. We saw they were lying on a small carcass, possibly the baby Wildebeest from earlier. They were snarling and growling at each other every time one of them moved. Enter the 3 cubs from the left :D. Th done walked up to mom and proceeded to climb onto her back.

One of the other little one was looking for a drink from mom.

One of the young actually squeezed himself in-between mom and the other female, an extremely brave or stupid move. Mom shifted slightly and allowed the young one to suckle.

The third baby walked right up to the from of the two female and when he appeared he had blood on his face, probably from the kill mom was feasting on.

Time was running out and we had to leave. On the way we spotted this PCG taking a drink from a puddle of rainwater.

Also a Puffadder crossing the road.

When we eventually reached the sleeping lions, they were awake and starting to move...right towards us. This guy stopped in the grass and allowed me my shot off the trip (I have subsequently made an A0 canvas print of this image....a beautiful reminder of the KTP every time I look up).

They were moving off, past the car in a single file, backsides lazily shuffling from side to side. Man, did we want to follow them :( We arrived back at Urikaruus to a Hyena welcoming party at the waterhole. So the day is ending as it started, with the hyena clan.

We we eventually came to rest while sitting back, watching the bush veld TV we tales about the day..1 Leopard heard but not seen, 7 Hyenas, 11 Lions, 9 Cheetahs, 1 African Wild cat and many beautiful birds. A great day.

This was our last night in paradise....tbc

KTP: 09 Dec 2012 - 18 Dec 2012

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:17 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Dawn broke on Urikaruus after a night where we again had a visit from a Leopard. Growling under the unit next to us and and eventually moving off over the dune behind the camp attendants unit. This was our last day, so we packed up quickly and by "gate opening time" we had said our goodbyes to Jacques but not after leaving him the first edition Leopard identification booklet by Astromat :D.

Plan...go north as far as Craig Lockhart and then make our way all the way down to TR and eventually, although reluctantly, leave for home. Just past the Hyena den other side of Urikaruus waterhole I spotted a face in the grass. After a bit of maneuvering to get the face clear off the grass, I managed one frame of the Bateared fox mom suckling a few young.

Across the road in the riverbed I got some of my closest BEF images.

Approx 8km from where we last saw the 3 lions the previous evening, we found them again. They were very relaxed but didn't appear if they had hunted during the night.

We also ran into another Tawney

and Ludwigs Bustard.

and a juvenile Black Chested Snake Eagle.

In 14th we looked everywhere for the lionesses and cubs, but they had left. We did run into the mom and 4 Cheetah cubs though :D .......tbc

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:44 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks for the persistence and staying on board.

We ran into mother Cheetah and her 4 cubs.

They came walking down the road at Dalkeith, following mom at a distance.

While all this was going on I spotted this guy and had to take a few shots :doh:

The eventually followed mom up a little hill and watched a distance lone Springbok.

We "raced" down to the riverbed road and watched as mom came over the dune, crept closer and eventually made a half hearted charge at the Springbok, who ran away.....fail.

....tbc.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:32 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks for staying on board. We were nearing the end of our stay in the park and this trip report will be complete 3 days before we hit the park again.

This tree fascinated me and every time I drove past I wanted to stop and take a pic...so here it is?

Under a tree right next to the road we spotted this juvenile Martial Eagle. Although the background light was very harsh I decided to get in a shot or two.

Further along the riverbed we spotted a pride of 4 lions.

Another family of 4 Cheetah, although I only have evidence of 3 as the other one was lying too far away.

A Gemsbok waving goodbye in a typical KTP setting.

Reluctant to leave we made our way to the dune road all to quickly and ended up at Samevloeiing where we sat a while and watched the Gemsbok playing race horse.

Well that is that folks....the end of a great trip and one we hope to top in a few days time.

Thanks for all your kind and encouraging comments........

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:17 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Dear Touareg,

Thanks for the great TR!

[quote="Touareg"]Thank you all.

A little further this Ashey Tit which was a first for me.

I like very much your attention to the small things too!

All the best
Charbel

1 June 2013 - Twee Rivieren
2 June 2013 - Kieliekrankie
3-4 June 2013 - Kalahari Tented Camp
5 June 2013 - Twee Rivieren
6-8 June 2013 - Nossob
9 June 2013 - Gharagab
10 June 2013 - Grootkolk
11 June 2013 - Nossob
12 June 2013 - Twee Rivieren

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3