Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 2
 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Cheetah2111 The Lion King Strikes Back!! Dec 2011
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:53 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Day 1
Driving to camp

I just came back from the most fanTASTIC trip from Kruger!! Image
5 nights of bliss in the open grasslands of Satara! :dance:
For those of you who have never read my previous trip reports … people here have called me the 'Lion King' on account of my Lion luck. Which is said to be attracted to my red beardedness :lol:
It's a bitter sweet situation being the lion King … because I've lacked seeing wild dogs, cheetah and leopard. :(

Did I stick to my Lion Ways? Or did my John Lennon Glasses attract different aMiNals?
Stick around to find out ;)

The time had come to camp! My cousin Jan and I decided on Outer Mongolia as a location for camping. Pictures of that to follow in another episode :whistle:
Jan and I then went out on a short afternoon drive. And the cats came to say howzit :wink:

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Last edited by cheetah2111 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: The Lion King Strikes Back!!
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:07 pm 

FAC Member (2013)
Day 1 - Afternoon Drive

All packed and ready for the first real drive in Kruger :dance:
Image Image Image

We quickly have a little peep at the pin up board and see a cheetah pin on the s100 :roll: I think to myself - lets give the s100 a chance :twisted:

I am guided out of the gate by the friendly chirp of the lilac brested roller :D
And then as if out of jealousy, the bigger bird comes to show off his size
But cook over theeere! He has the Cuuuute small little Shnoekem Ostries!
Ai they are so wooly and cute :D Moving on from nursery school fun onto the H6 this Nellie is grumping heavy at me!
He should learn from his Oil Fountain mate there is no reason to worry about Fings 8)

Here is a little song I wrote
You might want to sing it note for note
Don't worry -----------------------------be happy
In every life we have some trouble
When you worry you make it double
Don't worry------------------------------ be happy......

Turning left onto the s41, I found a fellow who could be bothered for all this jolly singing :slap:

It is at this point when my cousin Jan asked me if this vulture had any teeth ...
to which I replied:
Well this is a CAPE vulture ... so no front teeth :tongue:

Then to find the beautiful girl trying to catch a break in the river
Eish! its hard to be preggies ey? :|

Then onto the s100. I stop behind a car parked off and survey the open grasslands. I see movement in a cat-like fashion :big_eyes: Binocs please Jan ... well can you believe it? A cheetah!! I hogged the binocs I can assure you :tongue: I've waited so long for my first Kruger Cheetah!! :dance: :dance: Pity its so far away! Lets see if anyone can spot it from my picture :whistle:

The cheetah soon moved off into the bush. yoh yoh yoh I was a happy chappy :dance: It was getting late so not much time left before gates closing. But it aint over til the fat lady sings :wink: In the poor photography light, I see the evening patrol. Came out to greet rooi baard :dance:

Then the big man came out. Drawn out by a fellow red beard. He came to say hello 8)

What a first day!!!
Buffs, Rhino, Ellies, Lion, and Cheetah :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:15 am 

FAC Member (2013)
Here are the page 1 pictures again!

This is myself on the left, and my lovely girlfriend on the right :D

Here is my lesser SO. quite common I'd say. Golden Leaf international taste award winner for years in a row now :whistle: Second in distribution only to Bud Weiser (yuk) :slap:

Impi Warrior!

Three wise men!

Oil Fountain!

Zeb Zeb Zebbidy Zeb!

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:30 am 

FAC Member (2013)
Day 2 Morning

03:45am ... the alarm goes off! Not that this was needed. I didn't sleep much on a 26degree night with my cousin Jan and I cooped inside what is essentially a one-person tent :roll: Jan and I must be weary of turning over too violently lest we land up on top of each other :? Our feet stuck out the end of the tent much to the excitement of the mosquitos :doh: After what seemed like an eternity of sweaty sleep attempt Jan and I found ourselves wide awake. We checked the time, expecting to get up at any minute after a long night. To our dismay it was only 12:00 :big_eyes: :wall: That was only 2 hours Image It was a relief therefore when at 03:00am the aMiNals came into song! It was heaven listening to the low frequencies of lions roaring, and the high piercing whoop whooping of nearby hyenas. :D :D :D :D :D
We headed out whilst it was still pitch black and got to the gate at 04:00am with the whole family ready and sipping on the good stuff waiting for gate opening Image

First out of the gate :dance: :dance:
We turned left going North. And we watched the most stunning sunrise. We shared this with a most precious animal.
When one watches a Rhino family for a while, one can easily observe the strong maternal bond between mother and calf. We drank our coffee transfixed by the relationship between these two. So similar to us, yet so different. Lingering between the silence in the car was a deep sense of appreciation of the sighting. We have no idea how long these animals will still be on earth in light of mankind's greed. We shared a most special and peaceful sunrise with the magnificent creatures.

I would never trade this special sunrise for any other early morning sighting :D
Onwards we push!!
Image Image Image

In the green beyond two jolly Nellie Ellies stick out in the horizon dotted by shrubs :dance:
This is why I love satara! You can survey what appears to be endless grasslands! :D In clear view yet far away were the magnificent antelope! They seemed to give each other a good morning greeting! :D
Since the largest beasts were the order of the day, this graceful G-raff come to pose in the golden morning sun :D :D :D

Then on the right hand side of the road at nyamarhi waterhole we were in for a treat! I could almost in the back of my mind hear the excitement of Kallis and Ray as we spot the mafia clan being Kings of the waterhole!!
They were playful and interesting to watch! The little ones favorite game is to come up behind another and give a quick bite in the bum! Then run away holding a stick high in the air as a sign of sneaky victory!
Toooo Cute!! :D
Now this mafia gang was really holding up the queue to the waterhole the selfish buggers!!
These bobjins were looking rather thirsty but piled up in the tree to wait their turn

Finishing the next flask on the Hyena saga, we moved onto one of my favorite spots in the Park! The Olifants bridge :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
Takes your breath away! :D
See the Hippster?

far off Ellies and Buffs peacefully browse and graze in the long reeds :D Under the bridge a crafty croc slides up and down the shiny waters looking for something for breakfast! Image

Coming back towards Satara on the scenic S39, we are treated to a special sighting! Two Klipsringers!!!
Ai ... how we always survey those koppies are rarely receive reward. But this time they were there :dance: :dance: :dance:

Moving on a larger buck came to show his magnificent self Image
Don't they just always look good on photos? :D Almost as good at modelling as Zebbedy Zebs!
Check that impressive jaw! :shock: :clap:

Then a lekker huge herd of Giraff!
Only to be outgunned by this Buff herd :big_eyes:
The photo doesn't capture the expanse! Probably 600 :dance: :dance:

Then before camp it was time for the cuter genre!!
Ag Cook at that Fing!!
Then the ultimate shnoekems!!!!

Time to relax at camp! The afternoon drive had kitties :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:52 pm 

FAC Member (2013)
Day 2 Still - Camping

Here, here!
Gather around one and all to observe camping so rough it is equal in roughness to even the likes of Wendy :big_eyes:

We camped in a tiny tent in OUTER MONGOLIA! just look at the rocky ground :|

If you look carefully you will see how far Jan's legs stick out of the tent. So we left the door open at night because we didn't fit :slap: So when it rained it did pour ... inside the tent :lol:

This is the inside of our tent.

So the bottom of our 'spanko' ground mats were soaked every night. good times :wink: If only we could call on Hermione Sranger to come perform some magic to make it larger. I should never have left her at Shingwedzi on that night drive :o

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:43 am 

FAC Member (2013)
Day 2 Afternoon Part 1
Bullies at Nsemani

A quick dip in the pool ... a quick power nap ... rustle up some lunch
and off we Gooooooo!!!

We bid farewell to the woodland Kingfisher in camp

We are off to find the kitties at Nsemani!
Image Image
Image Image Image

When we arrive at the dam, it seems there are some other cars that scheme this is the place to be :whistle: At the reason becomes apparent! Theeeere on the far side are some lions having a lekker sleep. So whilst we wait for action I am entertained by this tired See-Cow! :dance: :dance:

This is the far off lions :tongue:
This girly decides to break away and come down 'The Hill'
Followed by the Big Guy 8)

Then Elephant come on the scene! :big_eyes:
Now check what happens hey :whistle:
Here is the Ellies and Lions in same shot!
That's when the Ellies decided to show who was the real King of the Hill!

Ellies are boss!
What a sighting Image Image Image

We decided after the lions settled down again for a sleep, to head off in another direction, and more Kitty action followed Image Image

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:35 am 

FAC Member (2013)
Day 2 Afternoon Part 2
Calling my friends out of the Bush

Howzit, howzit people!! Image
In our last episode (done in the American movie trailor voice)

Nellie-fants chased the Leons away from their chill plek at Nsemani!!!
They went from Image to Image
ag shame!!

I decided that we would do a little while down the s100, and return to the H1-3 at the time we saw the leons there yesterday :wink:

Image Image Image

As we leave Nsemani we have another Leon sighting :shock: Far off in the bush. They seem to be loving it! So we just carry on :wink:

as we meander (mouse) down the windy road we come across a buck that one doesn't see so often ...
a bushbuck!!! Image

Following these beauties we saw Blou Wilde and Zebbie Zebs! They are beeeest mates :D
Then the Bobby Bobjins were having a feast :D
There was a philosophical one! Socraboon!

Back to the main road time!! My red beard sense is tingling :wink:
I know why there is a roadblock :wink:
You BEAUTIES :dance: :dance: :dance:
Ag Cook at these kleintjies!!!
Mommy!
Brute!

That's 3 Leon sightings that afternoon! :dance: Loving every second!
The day ends with a lekker braai and beer Image Image

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:02 am 

FAC Member (2013)
Day 3 Morning

It's raining, its pouring
the old man is snoring
He went to bed, and bumped his head
and couldn't get up in the morning!

The difference between the old man and Jan-Span and I,
is that I did get up in the morning! Despite the rain!
First out the gate :dance: :dance: :dance:
It is then that I realised I left the camera storage card on the charger :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :slap: :slap: :wall: :wall: Ag neeee! I'm really Solly people but I don't have photos for you! Only a couple I took with my Blackberry!

First up down the S100 Image Image Image

Well as we all know, there are many formites that think this road is so great Image Image

All that the famous road showed us was some drenched waterbuck! Image

Well, fortunately there are other roads around Satara to make up for it :twisted: We turned left onto the s41 to find a great improvement! Although the windscreen wipers were on full blast still and our vision was poor, we managed to spot Impi warriors, kudu, waterbuck, bobby jins, and even RhinSAROUS!! :dance: :dance: :dance:
Looking at the spoor on the road, I noticed some Nelliefant tracks :hmz: I opened my window and in short time was drenched to the bone! It's at that point that you get over it and just curry on! :lol: Sitting still in the pouring rain, we heard the cracking of leaves and branches, Edging forwards the Fants came into view!! :dance: :dance:
Further on the drive we had many more elephant sightings!! The general game was about and the Big Beasts also!

We were most of the way through the drive when we turned left onto the s90. The sky still dark ... the rain still plopping from the sky!

Rain, rain, go away
Come again another day ...
all the world is waiting for the sun
!!

The power of music is such that this did the trick :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Yebo Yes!!! Image
We are greeted by a HUGE herd of Buffs!! About 600 I reckon! My FAVEooorite Herbi!
Heading on the main road home, the Rooibaard was tingling again :hmz:
I scheme there is a Image who wants to have a conversation with me :hmz:
So I slow down -----------------------------------
Then he just strolls out of the Bush on the Left to come say Howzit
"Howzit I'm Kobus Rooibaard" he said in a tone that indicates time is not on one's side. "I just thought I would ask you how long you growing your Red Beard for now?"
"Not too long now" I replied casually. "Probably 2 weeks ... what about yours?"
"Ag flippin long now hey. But it doesn't seem to help me get the girls hey! Chicks don't dig it. Oh well :( I guess it isn't red and big enough yet ... okay byeeeeee"

So ends the dialog from one Rooibaard to another. Kobus isn't a man of many words ... but its always nice to see him! :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:21 am 

FAC Member (2013)
Day 3 Afternoon
Bush radio!

Eveeeeentually at about 3 o clock in the afternoon the rain stopped! :slap: So we decided to have a slow drive West, then across the sweni road, and back home! On the pin up board there was a cheetah pin on the H1-3/S126 junction :whistle:
If you are getting over Leons, here is a chance to detox :lol:

Off we goooo!!
Image Image Image

First up!
Howzit, Howzit, I'm a blou wilde ... standing in the grass
down in these parts the food is far from sparse
don' get me wrong I'm not one to look a gift horse in the ar ... mouth :wink:
Now have you met my emo friend Zebbie from the South

I'm the original e-or, from whinny the pooh
ohhh dear, listen clear, this world isn't cool
I got left here alone, waiting by my phone
with this H7 depression its the abyss I call home

Ag shut up Zeb, you stripey pleb
don't pretend you aint got friends
we got these rings around our bums, like we setting fashion trends!
We got

it was then that I drove on. I was finding it too weird that these boys were rapping to each other like they gangsters from the Bronx :hmz:

I wanna know-ow-ow
have you ever seeeen Nsemani dam?

it's a rhetorical question :wink:

turning left onto the s36 I noticed this stone buck :dance:

I would watch out if I were him! You check this tree full of vultures and bataleur!! :shock:

Then someFing happened :big_eyes: it ran across the road and jumped in a tree!! It was a Micetta
Ag you beautiful Fing! :dance: car still ... I look right and see a black bellied Korhaan milling about in the grass :D :D
Sometimes standing still is the way to go! Looking in the surrounding trees this pearl spotted owlet was staring at me :dance:

crawling through the winding sweni road there is a sense of deep peace in the Kruger tranquility :D
This kudu girl getting all the nutrients browsing

A brown hooded kingfisher flutters into a tree next to the car to pose for me :dance: I could almost hear Aunty Val's appreciation :D

Sometimes its the small things that captivate us on a drive! This grey duiker stalking across the lala palms with dainty footsteps. Still audible if you turn off your car and tune your ears into bush radio :D

Once tuned into bush radio, you might here other sounds! like the crunching of grass. You might not see it immediately, but hang around and he will come out and pose :dance:

Turning onto the main road this huge Nelliefant was looking spectacular in the golden light! Image
I wonder what thoughts sit behind the deep eyes of this man. You can see the emotional pain of ellies from the dark marks under their eyes ... similar to tears. Yet you get the impression there isn't a drop of self pity or self focus in these animals :D I hope he leads a mighty herd one day :D

Then it was time to meet a special family!! The bobjins Image

They sing a song of life!!! this shnoekems having an entertaining ride on moms tail!
Ag Cook at that Fing!

Then there is true love between siblings Image

Sometimes there is pain with love Image

this bloke just looked so much like a begger on the street! Ag shame :D

What a special meeting!!
We say goodnight to the blou wildes looking so good in the setting sun

Another wonderful day in a beautiful place which sings life song to my soul through their Creator :D

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:31 pm 

FAC Member (2013)
Day 4
Morning Drive
Kitty Cats!

Gooooood Morning Formites!!!!! Image
It is time for another morning drive from Satara Image
Get on board! Lets go find dem aminals! Image

Image Image Image

FLUTTERBY sits in front for this drive :wink:

Going North and veering onto the S90 we say good morning sun! Good morning Nellie!
Keep your eyes peeled for Nocturnal ammies! An owl will do
can someone help with the ID? is it perchance a spotted eagle owl?
Look how special this place is. impressive owl and a stunning sunrise! What a blessing!

We sit transfixed by the tradition of sunrise. Although it happens daily, it is never monotonous to see. Somehow the sunrise looks different everyday. Always in it's own way it claims beauty :D

the sun sits high and brings life to the bush! Camel Horse shows his long neck
The sound of the morning is the yap, yapping of the Jackal concealed by the long golden grass. Eventually we spot the lead singer of the s90 :D

The game seems to be a bit on the scarce side. Yet I am pleasantly content drifting down the long dirt road! This lonesome steenbokkie was looking too cute! :dance: :dance:
accompanied by a Black Bellied Korhaan not agreeing to look at me :wink:
This mole snake slithering around was good company for a minute or two! :D
This young bataleur looked brilliant against the blue sky next to the road!

Then OUT OF THE BLUE
this girl pops up 3 paces from my drivers window!! Image
She and her mate were on a mission for sure just past Bangu waterhole!
Off they go!

WHAT would we see next?? impala perhaps?
as we turn onto the s89 it is this mighty Boy! This one goes out to Flutters :D

A leopard right next to the road :big_eyes: Just like that Image thank you :pray:
You Never know when something like this will happen in the Bush :dance:

It was a big 5 drive with rhinos and these Buffs!

We had the lion and leopard sightings to ourself :dance:
I hope you have a rocking day!
Image Image Image

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:54 pm 

FAC Member (2013)
Day 4
Afternoon

After a serious nap attack, a discussion ensued regarding the child abducting squirrels in A circle. Perhaps I should post an episode about that :hmz: But for now I wanna show you some ammies :dance:

This Afternoons drive went down the s100 Image
then down the s41 then West on the H6 and back home!
Mother Russia Image not relevant ... but also important.

Here we goooo!
Image Image Image

First up to say hi! A wiley woolly waterbuck standing proud
Some might say he is a bit of a Jacob Zuma :naughty:
That's just half of them :wink:

Sometimes in the park you may miss the small things! Don't overlook Mr Leopard Turtie!

at the speed of light (299 792 458 meters per second) he made his way towards the pool to drink!
Ag Cook at that!

After making sure-sure he gets across safely we move on and see this shallow pig darting around the open ground!
There is another for VVV :dance:

These striped donkeys were looking quite concerned ... but I couldn't find the source of discontent :hmz:

Reaching the end of the s100 we saw one who will yet become an impressive beast!
Crockarock on the rock! Then he slowly slips away into the cool water ...

Sometimes when you driving, it feel like you being watched! Image
You might find a Camel Horse Spying on you

Or perhaps when you stand still you find that rock is actually a steenbokkie!
Image that is also a good point!

It was then that the HIGHLIGHT of the drive happened on the H6! Image

In the storm drain under the road, an ear flicks! Slowly it comes out and it is a klein Hyena!
A game ranger was in his truck making funny sounds and lured out another!!
Who says Hyena are ugly hey?? They Beautiful :D :D

By the way there were lions in the drive but far away, so not great photo :whistle:

With the sun fading beautifully on the Western horizon another wonderful day in Kruger comes to an end. But we had to rustle up a quick braai and beer before the night drive Image 8)

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:51 am 

FAC Member (2013)
Day 4 night drive
Bad start ... Great Ending

The common symptom of legs twitching in anticipation for the night drive whilst our guide Martin tells Jan And I, as well as the rest of the truck, the the do's and don'ts! :D We were very delayed already due to a bunch of people who pitched up at the meeting area at the reception without their indemnity forms :roll: ... which of coarse you receive once you have paid. :evil: I found it a fishy situation at any rate. :hmz: The result was that they had to organize another vehicle on top of the two sunset drive trucks returning. :o One of the smaller vehicles for only a few people. What was even better for the bunch that held us all up, was that they got to get on a truck first and leave long before the rest! :shock: :slap:

We were sitting there being introduced to Martin with a heightened sense of injustice brewing in the ranks when they realised the extra vehicle did not have any spot lights! The truck with four spotlights had already left ... so our vehicle had to give up one of our allotted three. We must have been a good 30minutes late already when an Afrikaans man asked from the back: "ah excuse me Martin ... my wife please wants to go to the bafroom. And also my dogter." Could they not have made a plan in all the half an hour by reception?? So we sat in the truck wishing the two bathroom escapists a jolly good piddle, wondering if the night drive was going to happen sometime in the near future. People were staring into the trees hoping against odds that an owl would swoop down on a nearby tree to have something to look at. Upon the arrival of the nature calls ladies the truck breathed a sigh of relief in unison equivalent to the relief they experienced oh so recently!

And we were offf!! An elderly South African lady at the front with a busy bobbing head piped up after one meter " Martin, you know we looking for owls too hey!? Everyone look out for owls" she said to the general truck behind her in an authoritative way. Jan naturally said "well there is an owl there" to which bobby head owl lady showed great excitement only to find he was pointing at the fixed owl 'clock' that shows gate opening and closing times! :lol:

After some European night jars, impala and scrub hares things got quiet going down the H1-3 for about 6kms. We turned onto the Sweni road where all that we saw was a pair of Egyptian geese. However at the Egyptian geese sighting bobby head said "there an owl" in a confident manner. Where? Everyone wanted to know. "Well its back there Martin ... but I don't have the spotlight" she said in an irritable way turning her head forwards again as if we should drive on. The two spotlights searched and searched for this 'owl', but alas, I think her imagination was getting the better of her ;) Turning around to go back to the main road we spot a small spotted Genet stalking through the lala palms! As if the trend had been set now, we seemed to find Large spotted and small spotted Genets at will now racking up the numbers :D At the H6 turn off we were treated to a fleeting sighting of a Civet bustling through the long grass! :dance:

Martin takes us onto the s100 where someone spotted something ... after a long reverse we found a skittish hippo making his way through the bush towards water no doubt! I was very chuffed with seeing a hippo out of water :D Next up we had an African Wild Cat on the hunt! This really was a drive improving all the while! But what happened next was pure magic.

Martin requests that all the spotlights be turned off. Once all the lights were off he turns off the truck and requests silence. I sat there in a moment of greatest peace tuning my ears into the bush. I have never been treated to such a choir of diverse sounds in my life. As if turned up in volume the insects scream from all around and the frogs sing. Far off I faintly, yet distinctly hear the low snort of a gnu. Complimented to the sounds the high pitched prrrrt prrrrt of a scops owl. All around me a never ending diversity of sounds. Even with all the intelligence of man, there has never been a piece of music as beautifully composed, as the animals who sing their life song to the heavens.
I look up at the sky and see it as I have never before. Etched in beauty as far as the eye can see. Stars painted bright across its vast expanse. It reminds me of the Psalmist who wrote in Psalm 19 "The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork"

"This is Africa" Martin says softly with a gentle pride and awesome wonder. "you cannot find this in the city ... this is Africa". This resonated with my heart. For as long as we live we shall strive to preserve the Beauty given to us here on earth. I hope in my life I can share with people the amazing beauty of nature the way that Martin shared it with us that night.
:clap:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:25 pm 

FAC Member (2013)
Day 5 Morning
Part 1

Well all good things come to an end ... and the time has come for our last full day in the Park. :(
The eyelids opened whilst the darkness was still thick. I stirred from the lions deep roaring vibrating through the early morning. I look at my cell phone and it is hopeless early: 3:20am! I can't sleep through lions roaring anyhow. I am drawn to listen! I screw my ears to attempt to guess the direction. Finding this difficult I quietly get out of the tent careful not to wake sleeping beauty Jan. It is pitch black! The zulu people have a word for this time of morning – uvivi- which means the darkness before the dawn. The darkness is most intense before the first shreds of haze crack through the horizon. Standing in the fresh air in the midst of Uvivi, I hear faintly what could be footsteps on the other side of the fence ... then it stops suddenly ... I pull out my cell phone and shine it towards the fence to find a hyena staring at me from less than an arms length away! As quickly as it happened, the hyena was off again after sufficiently spooking me out! A heart pounding in my throat moment!
The Lions sound up again. I am quite convinced the roars are coming from the West. So I decide that is the direction of the morning drive! It was a good decision ;)

It is just Jan and I that could be bothered to rise so early on this morning. And we all know what happens when somebody skips a drive ... you see something special ;)

We are first in the queue at 04:00am in the morning. Sipping the magic juice Image
After half an hour of banter we out at 04:30am and my beard is feeling rather itchy this morning. A good omen!
Image Image Image

About 2km onto the H7 going West my lights pick up a golden shape just next to the road! Image
After switching off the car a fair distance from the lion in the dark with only one other car there, the lioness relaxes slumping down onto the road. All too often your early morning lion sightings are on the tar roads where they enjoy the warmth ;) In African time the sun rises, and as light arrives, so does the lionesses friends!

Seeing this love between these sisters is like being allowed into a secret room. So often we only see the lazy or brutish side to lions. However there was something so tender about this interaction in the quiet fresh morning that I cannot help but love these animals :D Eventually a traffic jam formed and I had to move on. Snapping a close up of this absolutely BEAUTIFUL girl!

So it starts ... another beautiful day in paradise! :dance:

Passing Nsemani dam the sound of Africa ... the cry of the fish eagle pierces through the air! :D

Turning left onto the winding S39 Timbavati River road, the morning sun illuminates the Golden Orb Spiders which are usually invisible :D
Very difficult to see these spiders! Despite them being yellow and black, and the size of your hand!

Snaking along the road the skittish impi warriors show me their bums!

Perhaps they caught the scent of this guy!
The inquisitive teenage morning scout!

Lovely to see the nocturnals about! Especially this next one ... made me think of the owl granny from the night drive ;)
Giant Eagle Owl!

As if we had not been sufficiently blessed that morning, something very rare popped out of nowhere ;)

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:13 am 

FAC Member (2013)
Day 5 Morning
Part 2

Then out of nowhere pop these beauties! Let the pictures speak this time :dance:

14 of them! :dance: :dance: :dance:
Had them alone for Ages :dance:
Beautiful aminals :D It can NEVER be boring to watch wild dogs if you get the rare chance to see them!
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:54 pm 

FAC Member (2013)
Day 5 Morning
Part 3
Near Death Experience!

The wild dog sighting was by far my best experience I've had with the doggies!!
One of those sightings that was the last thing you expected.
The thing which happened next was yet another unexpected experience ...

One by one an elephant herd crosses the road in front of Jan And I in the car. Nothing out of the ordinary.
Not an elephant flap, or any signs or irritability!

Then without even a mock charge, the big brute gives us a full on charge! Not making any noise at all! Head down and steam rolling forwards at the highest pace possible!

I reversed at 60km/hour! The dust in the air behind me rendered me with very limited vision! With my heart pounding, I reversed, concentratig on not crashing the car, as I meet the next curve in the road! If I crashed I would surely be another picture at the satara reception to warn tourists of the danger of elephants. This silent full tilt charge meant she was up for killing. And by sheer mercy from above did I manage to turn those courners in reverse without seeing where was going! :big_eyes:
Eventually the elephant was too tired and gave up and showed us what she thought of us.
With bouts of adrenaline coursing through my vains, I carried on the S39. I have never been so gratefull to see a harmless impi warrior. Image
Such beautiful aminals they are!

Zeb Zeb Zibbie Zebs!

Jan has a knack of seeing all the vultures in the Kruger! He asked: so these are the ones that don't have front teeth right? Yup ... Cape Vultures Image

We really were fortunate seeing so many of these creatures! Touchy subject these days ... lets not go there.
This track showed that there is action this end ;)

This turtie racing across this road!

And I don't think this rhino 'saur us' ;)

I didn't know how to tell my parents back at Satara that they missed Lion, owls, hyena, wild dogs, and an elephant charge! :lol:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next