Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Mads How to hit the kruger jacpot in a weekend!! Dec 2011
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:48 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi to all forumites!

We were in Kruger this last weekend! And what a weekend it was!!! :mrgreen: Kruger literally kept the best for last.... but you will have to wait!! :wink: Well let me not keep you to much in suspense… It wont be a very long report… but a busy one!!

Friday 2 December 2011:We left Pretoria at 13:30. The road was very busy! :shock: .... at 18:00 we were at Numbi Gate!! I was home!

The Silver clustered leave trees' smell all over the bush (they smell like smelly feet!!) We saw rhinos, waterbuck, impi's with babies, etc. on the way to camp (Pretoriuskop).

We booked in, unpacked and quickly made food, ate and on our way to the bathroom we came across these wildlife...

This poor egg eater was looking for shelter and eventually he found a small hollow to hide away!
See if you can spot him?

See if you can spot him?

While standing at the snake I heard the Pearl Spotted Owlet calling and started looking for it… I found it!!

We went to sleep at about 22:00…. To be continued!!

Post subject: Re: How to hit the kruger jacpot in a weekend!!
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:38 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks to Buffalo Soldier, CC, BB30, Anri ,Sharifa, VVV, Tobieo, MM, Vinkie, Tiggercat, Joao, Foxy, Billyf, Lion queen en Leopard74 and Duke Ellieton for joining the ride!!

Luckily I was sooo tired and knowning my snakes, I slept like a baby!! :mrgreen:

Saturday 3 December 2011.

We woke up and were out the gate by 04:30. It was overcast and drizzling... At Shitlave dam we found these 2 lazy lions!! They were not to close....

At Napi Boulders this korhaan entertained us by calling next to our vehicle.

On route we saw all the usuals as well... At Transport dam we had quite a get together of birds, and animals... Unfortunately because of the overcast weather the pics are not to good... We had this red billed hornbill entertaining us and he gave my cousin such a fright!! I think people feed him and that is why he is so tame... He fought with his own image in the mirror as well... He was soo close that you could take very nice pics... There were impis, waterbuck, buffalo weavers, yellowthroated longclaws, dikkop, severalducks, greenbacked herons, etc.

From Transport dam we travelled the S65 with the usuals... At the Doispane road junction, we could see cars standing, it was a mating pair of leopards. :big_eyes: They were in thick bush and I could not take any pics :( .. but saw them mating.. because of the thick bush and cars we spent nearly 2 hours at the sighting> It still was a wonderful sighting!!

To be continued!

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:50 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Part 2 of Saturday

We drove over the Sabie River and guy was next to us.

At the Sabie River we found this Greenbacked Heron fishing.

At Mantlemahle dam we found a lion sleeping on the dam wall. Unfortunately no pics...
These were some of the “usual“ sightings on the way

We took the S36 and half way between the Vutomi turn off and Mantle mahle dam we found 3 lions. The male was chewing something, while the females were sleeping. Some pics of the male

On the Vutomi loop it was very wet and the Woolly-necked Storks were in abundance.

And this Water leguan,

The whole day was overcast and by now the sky got darker and darker! Thus my pics are not good quality...Some more birdies... and other animals
A Ground Hornbill family Mother+Faher+Juvenile...

A green pigeon

And this ellie in the rain..

Eventually it starting raining.. Buckets full!!! And our sightings disappeared... Just before Lower Sabie we had this Hippo sighting and another leopard!! But unfortunately the light by now was sooo bad and it was still raining and leopard in the Sabie river bed... so no pics....
And the backside of the hippo...(see how wet he is of the rain)

We booked in, in the rain.. and unpacked in the rain... and an hour after gate closing time, we were in bed sleeping... Dead tired!! But happy with the day’s sightings...and listening to the rain...zzzz

To be continued!!... and stay on board... do not miss any moment.... :mrgreen:

Last edited by Mads on Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:46 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thank you to Vinkie, Billyf, Lion Queen, PetraJ, Radman, Anne-marie, RonelR, VVV, BGS, Tobieo and Sharifa for all the comments....

Sunday 4 December 2011:

We were woken up with a bang... or is it Whoop.. Whoop!!!! A hyena calling in front of our tent (though on the other side of the fence)... I wonder what time it is?.... I can hear birds!!! That means we overslept!!!! I was out like a rocket!!! By 5 o clock we were out by the gate... The rain stopped ... but it was still overcast.

We decided to turn South... the road started very quiet... but after the turnoff of the S130 our luck turned... Wild dog in the road... the light is still bad.. but here are some pics.There were 8 in the pack.

Looking left... there was a hyena den!! The mother kept an eye on the wild dog and the babies... and as soon as they wonder too far she would call them back!!! The wild dog ran deeper into the bush .. and we did not see them again...

Down the road we came across this female...
She looked like she wanted to hunt... and went down in a river bed... but we left when other cars arrived...

Then we took the S130 (gomondwane loop and we found another hyena den... The youngsters were very naughty. Bit one another and played with a wooden stick...

A bite on the bum!!

At the tar road junction with the S130 we found a male lion... but because of bushes and a traffic jam I decide to leave without a photo.
We went meet up with my other cousin at Lower Sabie...At Sunset dam the birds were out in force A hyena came around the furthest bend of the dam...Sorry no pics...
A grey heron on a rock NO!!!! Its a hippo!!

...and some babies...

Then we were off to Mlondozi Picnic Spot.. on the way... a dead white rhino!!! Full of Vultures... but quite far away, and in tall grass... no pics...
In the vicinity of the picnic spot ostriches, waterbuck warthogs with babies, hippos, monkeys, etc, etc. We braaied and enjoyed the cousins’s company until about 1 o clock... Then off to Tshokwane. , big herds of ellies, and the usual game were seen.

On the way to Skukuza we saw the usuals and another group of Ground hornbills...

....and babies

And a sleeping (alive) rhino,

Now talking about my wish list coming to Kruger, I think to see wild dog is jackpot!! ... I just love them!!! SO... according to the my wish list i did not do too bad!! My cousin always have lions on her list.. and we saw 5 times lions... 2 times leopards.. both days big five... so will we see something else on the S1 (Doispane road) and the Kruger Gate road???

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:01 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks for all the comments and the guessing!!... but you areall wrong!!!
I agree, even if I see nothing else I would have still hit the jackpot!!So what is the jackpot? None of you could guessed it.... It is something that I wished to see for 40 years!!! For some not the jackpot ... but for me something I didnot expect to see... and something I have not put on my wishlist for sometime ... just because I did not think I will ever see it!!!!!!! ... but let us continue!!

Then on the Kruger gate road, my cousin suddenly said STOP!! I think I saw a leopard.... I had to wait for about 5 minutes before I could reverse ... by then the leopard was standing in the tree. The light was bad AGAIN!! ..but before you think I lie about my sightings... here are some pics...it jumped down and we tried to find it again... but the bush was very thick!! Eventually a car stopped about 20 metres in front of us ... We rushed there.. and there it was in a tree again, sharpening its nails, and trying to find a spot to lie down... eventually it jumped from that tree again... and we left it.... Sorry but the leopard is also not the jackpot although it is always nice to see!! The pics is also not the best... but at least you can see the evidence!!

Actually nothing more than the usual... until 15 minutes before gate closing time... and 3 km from the Phabeni gate... what will it be? (ActuallyI could not believe my eyes and my head was already outside Kruger, planning my week ahead!! ) Something that I decided to take off my wish list because myth busters invented it!!!.. WELL NOW I BELIEVE IT EXSISTS!!! I nearly had an accident !! Something I wanted to see all my life!!! I shouted so loud PANGOLIN!!! Afterwards I wondered if I did not actually scared it, but I have pics and that is all that matters... Otherwise nobody would have believed me!!!

This is my most precious sighting ever in Kruger!! What is amazing is that there was 2 pangolin sightings that afternoon in KNP... (I received the other sighting on the blackberry group) ....not the same animal... It was on the S130 about an hour earlier than mine!!

:shock: I could not asked for a better ending!!I was totally ecstatic!!!!! I was crying and laughing ... WOW!!! :big_eyes: What a trip!! And that is how you hit the jackpot in a weekend!!!!! I hope you enjoyed the ride!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]