Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Kruger National Park : December 2004
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:31 pm 

Hi - This morning at 6H00 about 8km from Afsaal i came across 9 wild dogs in the road. At the open field just before Afsaal on the left hand side of the road i saw a Baster Hartbees between the Impala. Photo's available later :D

Post subject: Wild dogs
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:08 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I watched a program on Friday on the Animal Planet channel on Wild Dogs. Very interesting. In one of the scenes (taken from the KNP), older wild dog pups were recorded playing with and killing very young pups. I was amazed to see the mother did not try and protect her pups. Once the pups were dead, the older pups then ate them. Is this normal behaviour? :cry:

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:53 pm 

Hi Jock,

I would say that behaviour is pretty abnormal. The alpha female is usually the only one that delivers pups. It's the rest of the packs responsiblity to look after her pups. The hierarchy ensures the strongest female has young to attempt to increase survival rates.

However there have been reports of sencond females in a pack delviering young of their own.

So either the pups killed their weaker brothers or sisters (most likely option), or perhaps the younger pups in the second instance.

Hope that makes sense

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:21 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks Ngonyam

In this report the year after the older pups killed the young pups, two other females bred as well as the alpha female. There was a total of 26 puppies but all were the same age the pups were not killed. Certainly this pack showed very strange and abnormal behaviour.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:00 am 

Wow Jock,

That's a lot of puppies to feed. Do you know when and where this pack was seen?

It must have been a big pack to begin with, to be able to look after so many pups

The most puppies I've ever seen was 18/19 (almost impossible to count), in Djuma game reserve about 5 years ago. I will check if I've got some pics today.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:27 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

It was a pack near Skukuza.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]