Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 2 of 3
 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: On the stoep of the Kruger
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:46 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2013)
@Vlakvarkvrou:Thanks for all the inside info :thumbs_up: Will inform you next week if I was successful :wink:
@Fee:Thanks! Go put your pics on the Forum so that we can salivate over them as well! :thumbs_up:
@Crested Val:Thank you! I always have a wonderful time in the Kruger, and I checked the weather look like a few days will a some showers which is also nice-not so hot and i find that the cats and dogs come out and play during the rain-but it doesn't produce nice pics :slap:

So this is my last post for a week-I will be leaving bright and early tomorrow morning at 1 o'clock. Hopefully I will post something next Sunday :hmz: I am totally psyched and my heart is starting to feel peace because she knows she is coming home...

For old time sake a few last pics of my trips this past year...

Ellie that decides to get up close and personal with us :big_eyes: about 3m

White-headed vultures

Vervet monkey

Crocodile from the low bridge towards Tshokwane from Skukuza

Burchells Coucal

Zebs on someones stoep at Sabie Park

White-crested Helmetshrike

Impie being groomed

Sala Kahle and stay tuned...

12 Jul Tambotie
13 Jul Sable Hide
14+15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:40 pm 
HI EVERYONE-IIIIIM BACK

So I just came back yesterday from the Kruger and I miss the place already! I am going to make that place my home someday-just watch me...

My trip began on Monday morning 00:30, when I was woken by my alarm clock to get out of bed and freshen up for the long drive to the Kruger. I have one of those BAD habits so my necessities that was packed on my passenger seat was a packet of Marlboro Blue Ice, Energade berry, Blackberry( people would think why a BB when we are going to the Kruger to get away from our everyday living? I joined the BB KNP sightings group and it hints you in the right direction :wink: ). my farlooker and my camera (Canon SX20-not grand I know but it's all I can afford at the time). I took on the long road with a need, a hunger that could only be tamed by the Kruger and it was, believe you me! The drive went well and the sunrise on the road between White river and Hazyview was awe-inspiring, unfortunately I didn't take a pic :(

I refueled at Hazyview and was on my way to Phabeni gate-that was still not open! Yeah me! Didn't miss out on anything. Yes I know I am one of those goody 2-shoes that waits at the gate 15 minutes before it opens because I'm afraid that I would miss a thing...

The gate opened and I went in and drove on the S1, both front windows open. I could smell the sweet scent of the bush and feel the song of the wind on my skin-It is just serene here in the Kruger! I am alone so I only drive about 25 km/h checking left then right then left again, I was amazed at how many sightings I spot myself...

The first aMiNal that greeted me was a Giraffe

I just love seeing Rhino's-I spotted them myself :dance:

I saw my first Korhaan this week! Or I'm sure it is one :hmz:

There were this one spot that had a lot of grazers:
Zebs

Impies & Zebs

My first Ellie for the day...

My first raptor: The brown snake eagle

One of the little 5-the leopard tortoise (Check how his shell is cracked-he has an interesting story to tell)

I went onto the H11 and saw a dead impala ewe, rangers stopped next to the road and climbed out to inspect the impala. Their verdict: 'Hit and run' :rtm: I was so enraged when I heard this!

I had my first rest stop at Skukuza and spoke to one of those safari drivers who had some interesting sightings that will follow on the next installment... :whistle:

12 Jul Tambotie
13 Jul Sable Hide
14+15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Last edited by Heksie on Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:19 am 
@Cheetah:So when is your TR starting :hmz:
@Meerkitty:I saw a dead water monitor and leopard tortoise as well this past week! It is just atrocious how people treat the Kruger! The problem is we don't always see who are the culprits... :sniper:
@Pumbaa:I actually just started being interested in birds this year. Now I like all the colourful ones: Kingfishers, bee-eaters and lbr. I do like the raptors and slowly I'm extending my horizon when it comes to birds.
@Vlakvarkvrou:Thanks, glad you will be here for the rest of the journey! Saw some of your relatives this past week took family portraits :wink:
@Radman:Thanks for joining :thumbs_up:
@PetraJ:Sorry I missed you in the Kruger! I went past that impala again and it was full of vultures in a matter of 15 minutes
@WendyA:I have to disappoint you. Never had MMC it was just tooo hot. But I did have Amarula on a lot of ICE. We will catch each other in the Kruger this year...I gotta feeling
@Vinkie:Glad you could join-I always say better late than never. :thumbs_up:

Day 1... continues

So I speak to this safari driver oke and asks what have he seen this morning-It is only 7 o'clock so I want to plan my route to Berg en Dal-I just think it's unnecessary for the check in time to be 14:00... :shock:

He says that they saw leopard on the waterhole road, just before the T-junction with S1 and a mating pair of lions on the S1 between the waterhole-junction and the riverine-junction :big_eyes: WHAT? I never saw any lions? Ok so I went back in the Skukuza shop and bought eye drops-NO LIE! And because I have 7 hours to spare drove back to the Phabeni road.

I saw the impala ewe swarmed with vultures but there were too many cars so I just drove by without any pics-SORRY!

I went back on the S1 and my plan was to drive extra slow to the riverine-junction make a U-turn :redface: and drive extra extra slow back and turn unto the waterhole road. But about 500m before the waterhole junction my BB blinked at me and announced that there were 2 leopard cubs on a river bed on the S65. Goodbye lions hello leopards-I know very un-Kruger like behavior but I have never seen 2 leppies together :hmz:

So on my way to the riverbed, not speeding-I did a careful 20 km/h I saw these beautiful creatures:

Lone Blue wildebeest

Kudu ewe

Young Kudu bull enjoying his breakfast

And then as I approach the bridge on the sandriver I see 2 cars. Yes! I just love dirt roads because they are never busy :dance:
And I stop in front of the one car, switched my ignition off and start looking-and looking-and looking. The person in the car in front of me direct me to the spot and I'm looking. I really couldn't see it...

So I took out my binocs and this is what followed. :dance:

This pic is not for the faint hearted :wink: I would not have taken this if I new at that moment what the leopard was doing-so invasion of privacy...

We were about 4 cars there for 20 minutes and the leopards walked off. One went into a tree but I couldn't take any pics.

So off I go with a step in my stride-uhm petrol foot... :hmz: As my day just got better. I had high hopes for the rest of the day and it was only 8:30. For the rest of S65 I just saw a lbr but my pic wasn't nice

To be continued...

12 Jul Tambotie
13 Jul Sable Hide
14+15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:37 pm 
@Cheetah:I think the leopards just find me...
@Meandering Mouse:Thanks. :thumbs_up:
@Vinkie:A lot of cats will follow :wink: But the pictures aren't always the best quality
@Meerkitty:Last December I saw more dead animals-it was just sad. Thanks the only reason I saw these beauties was because of your VISA :littleangel:
@WendyA:Sometimes I was on the wrong place as well, especially when I read that there were wild dogs... I missed them everytime :slap:
@John: Thanks-there are more leppies to come :dance:

Day 1.......still going

So leaving the Roller I received another 'hint' that there were a leopard chilling near Stevenson Hamilton on the S22-so of I went to go investigate :whistle:
I went on the H3 to the S112 and all the way to the Koppie on the S22 but no leopard :( Well I've seen two today, no probs and then I decided to cruise around to the S112 and what happens?
This beauty waits on a rock for me... :dance:

we were 3 cars so it was very chill around the leppie and as the cars took their time to go their own ways I could move to a point were I could see her from the front

And then dead center in front of her

I was amazed at how beautiful she looked and she was so at ease, just resting in the shade. I stayed with her for about 10 minutes and then decided to leave. I went on the S114 because I decide to take the dirt roads to the H3. Now everyone I am driving a Fiat Palio-and she did not go well with this dirt road. We bumped and 'ruk and rolled' on these dirt roads felt like there were screws loose in my head. I at least had another own spotting of my friends the rhinos-I only could pay a quick visit because they were sleeping and I didn't want to be rude.

The rest of the trip was a little bit uneventful. Stopped at Afsaal to get WATER all I went to do at every picnic site or camp was use the loo and buy ice cold H2O.

Just before the S110 to Berg en Dal camp underneath the bridge a herd of Ellies came to have lunch...

And on the S110 I had a lot of sightings again.
Rhino

The Magnificent Mudwartie

Woodland Kingfisher

and a baby wartie

I checked in at reception bought a few cold beers and had a braai. Now as I unpacked I opened my boot and all the rittelings of the dirt road made the screws go loose-I don't know how but it happened :hmz: My whole lock for the boot fell of :big_eyes: I had to buy cable ties to keep my boot closed the whole weekend-actually my car boot is still cable tied :redface:

I went to bed early and passed out... :zzz

12 Jul Tambotie
13 Jul Sable Hide
14+15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:43 pm 
@Cheetah2111:Get your seat belt buckled sonny the ride has just begunImage I would like to believe that I'm the leppie spotter of the Kruger but if you brag about it they hear you and hide with the next visit Image
@WendyA:I'm sorry-there is a lot of leppies on the H11 and H4-1 :hmz: Next time I will be careful when choosing a dirt road
@Rookie:Aren't we always like that. I was really blessed with good sightings that week but we almost hope for a little bit more, don't we?
@Meerkitty:Yes that was really a highlight of my trip-still bragging about that with my friends. Thanks for my new label :thumbs_up:
@Ollie:It was luck, I bathed in it before I drove to the Kruger Image
@Pumbaa:The kitties are mos very active in the mornings that is why you will almost always see me first at the gate waiting to spot them.
@John:Never did think I would see another one that day. Would like to say that the wilderness in me attracted the kitty? :hmz:
@BluTuna:Thanks for the ID :thumbs_up:
@Vinkie:I do see a lot of leppies with every single trip. I don't know why :hmz: I actually think a lot of forumites should go on a trip to the Kruger, just imagine the stories that would be told around campfires and if everyone bring their best 'spotness' what we all would see? :hmz:
@Radman:Exactly I'm a fish that's why the leppies are attracted to me :w:

Day 2

I didn't tell you but I forgot to pack a YR - tssk tssk :wall: I got one later one but that is another tale. I woke up that following morning at 3:30, my body was so sore, driving for 14 hours would do it to a person. Had a quick shower and packed my things. Like Cheetah said: "Early bird catches the kitty?" or whatever... :hmz:
I went out the gate and that is the thing that attracts me to Berg en Dal: the 'mountains' makes the sunrise breathtaking...
Sorry I was so mesmerized my photo was kinda blurry!

It was very early and I didn't make coffee it was just killing me. I NEEDED :lotsocoffee:

As I was driving by my all lonesome self on the H3.
(You know it's really nice going to the Kruger alone but it can get a bit quiet in a car. As a strict rule no radio in the car in the Kruger but to sit and not talk to anyone for 7-12 hours...How can a women cope? :redface: )
I was pondering what would I like to see today?
The BIG 5 ofcourse :roll:
Maybe a cheetah-haven't seen one of those... and well I would like to see any cat, dog or thing walking on four legs, and what happens. I came upon these fellas in the road in front of me. The Kruger is rather lenient with me-I couldn't SEE ANYTHING because my contacts got all fogged up ImageMother nature brought all her creatures to come and greet me! :dance:

About 10km past that I saw bodies lying on the road....a tail wags ( :big_eyes: What? Doggies just for me? :big_eyes: ) As I drove closer I was a bit let down BUT I do love my hyenas! And most of them were feeding their-not so small-babies. I had these type of doggies(I do know that a hyena is more related to mongoose but they resemble doggies for me) for 20 minutes for myself...

THEY ARE ADORABLE

I'm still on the H3 too afraid to drive any dirt roads-my car still not happy with me for yesterday. And next to the road an ellie greets my while eating breakfast. They do like their greens.

Just before Afsaal this zebra had a bit on an itch that he had to take care of. I have a video clip which I will post at the end of the TR?

I didn't spot these amazing creatures but I got to take nice pics of the baby rhiny... :dance:

Say it with me: A-DO-RA-BLE! Apparently everything are adorable :doh:

And before I got to the H1-1 I saw this beautiful raptor, the Brown Eagle I presume

To be continued...

12 Jul Tambotie
13 Jul Sable Hide
14+15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:15 pm 
Aquilla wrote:
Thats a Wahlberg Eagle by the way......

Thanks Aquilla I did say I'm new with the birds so please bare with me. :redface:

12 Jul Tambotie
13 Jul Sable Hide
14+15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:40 am 
So day 2 continues

So from the H3 I turned to the right on the H1-1 because there I always find the resident Klipspringertjies... But they weren't thereImage
But some larger antelope greeted me... And they were magnificent specimens!

He was rather Cheeky after a few shots...

I made a U-turn and drove to Skukuza, it was starting to get very hot and I didn't see a lot of animals. The previous day there was a buffalo-kill on the H1-2 right at the Rhino walking safaris T-juction so I decided to go have a look.
On the low water bridge a lesser striped swallow posed for me.

I saw no lionImage

I turned on the H12 and from there the H4-1 towards LS. Didn't see anything really and just 2km before LS what is resting in the shade?Image

It isn't a great pic but still-it is a leppie...

I went to LS and was 3 hours early :wall: :wall: :wall:
So after having a toastie and an ice cold Savanna light I decided to take the S29. I had great luck with that road previously and heard that they see a lot of Cheetah on that road as well-maybe today would be my lucky day...
Nothing, Yes I saw only a few grazers and hippos at the Mlondozi dam I think it is called...
I arrived all by my lonesome self at the look-out point and what greets me?

Now I'm thinking why would I like to climb out of my car all alone in this-@ own risk-deserted area? Well, I did.

Just before I finished the S29 I spotted some buffaloes resting in the shade.

I couldn't believe that my car is so small, even when the buffalo was lying down he was staring straight into my eyes. WOW these creatures are BIG!

I was suppose to meet Wendy here at LS, it never happened due to unforeseen circumstances. Would have loved to have met you and have a few MMC's around a campfire.

I checked in packed everything out of my car, opened a cold savanna and chilled for a few... I then decided to book myself a sunset drive. I did and as I walked to the 'trok' don't know what they call it but that thing we drive in is massive :big_eyes: . I sat and made myself comfortable, behind me there was an old couple that was busy introducing themselves to another family in the back. I heard the name Carol and I didn't want to be rude but I asked if the lady was Carolv? And by darn would you believe it I met Carolv and her SO (WildImage) on my sunset drive-it was such a pleasant surprise. Oh and I shouldn't forget the infamous Bazooka-a verrrrry BIG camera lens. I can't remember who our ranger(something like Irving was his surname) but I can say that he was by far the best guide I ever had! I just love the fact that they educate us about wildlife during a sunset drive. Like i never new that an impala if running in full speed can jump up to 14m far and 2m high... Just amazing! :clap:

We first first stopped at Sunset dam and saw the resident hippos and crocs...
The hippos had a bit of an argument

And offcourse we stopped for the sunset-which was AMAZING!

And then, I saw my first Lion(lioness) for my tripImage
Now I've seen the BIG 5 today so everything else is just a BONUS :dance: :dance: :dance:
The pic is not of great quality because of the lighting but you can still see it is a lion...

After that we saw, small and large spotted genets, black backed jackal, scrubhare, elephants, lone blue wildebeest, vultures, 3 porcupines and a scorpion.
The sunset drive was great. I was exhausted after that-didn't event make dinner-just packed everything and passed out.

12 Jul Tambotie
13 Jul Sable Hide
14+15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:50 pm 
Day 3

So I wake up all fully rested-NOT at 3:30 and start packing my car again. I will never camp a night in one place again it is getting ridiculous! And off I went all the way back to Skukuza... I really wanted to drive the s28 to Crocodile bridge and then past Hippo pools but because of my boot I didn't wanted to take chances. Imagine me stopping at Crocodile bridge with no boot? Image

On the H4-1 a nice sunrise

I took the Ntwamhiri causeway hoping to see a cat but nothing... :doh:
So I came back on the H4-1 and a single car was standing on the road I drove up slowly and tried to see what they were seeing-NOTHING. They greeted, what nice afrikaans-folk :dance: and said that the people that were there before them saw a leopard crossing the road, they didn't see it themselves and they don't know which way it went in the bush. So I stopped in front of them took out the trusty binocs and started looking, I went a bit further an looked, they went a bit back and we searched that bush until I saw in my side mirror that they turned their car half sideways and I knew something was up...TA-DAAAAA

I'm sorry it was so quick I only could get one shot...Image

So we both chatted about the leppie-I was so glad having a conversation with someone other than myself and after a few minutes we drove off.

After a few kilometers I decided that I needed to go to the Beautician but unfortunately they were fully booked. :cry:

Then on the bridge between Skukuza and LS I saw this beautiful Giant Kingfisher. He was so close to me I could touch him-but didn't. :rtm:

Ellies on the other side of the river

Another first in the Kruger for me-African wattled Lapwing

And just before I reached Skukuza I saw these beautiful birdies all in 1 tree-I could only ID 2 of them some help would be appreciated...Image

A southern Carmine Bee eater and a mystery guest-guys please correct me if I'm wrong

and a White fronted bee eater

Sorry the angle an lighting was bad with the birdies...

So I arrived at SKukuza

TO BE CONTINUED

12 Jul Tambotie
13 Jul Sable Hide
14+15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:29 pm 

Anri, I have so enjoyed your lovely light hearted report and pics. :clap:
You certainly saw your fair share of Leopards. :thumbs_up:

Your 2 Bee-eaters are as you say a Southern Carmine and next to it a Juvenile Carmine.

Also the Lapwing is a White-crowned one, lovely birds.

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:02 pm 
Day 3... Continues

So I stop at Skukuza, buy a refreshment and decide because it is only 7:30 to stay in this area and explore!Image
I went to transport dam and on my way saw cute Klipspringers

It started pouring rain-that lasted for about 10min-the bushwoman that I am decided to keep the windows open! :slap: And that afternoon saw that I had a mudstreak on my jacket from hanging my arm out the window. Bare with me it was HOT and the rain was refreshing I just couldn't help myself :tongue:
I saw nothing at Transport dam and turned back to take the S65 on which I saw kudu's and the Woodland kingfisher, from there I took the S3 to drive on the riverine road. I saw a brown hooded kingfisher.

And what greets me in the road. This 'meneer' was HUGE :big_eyes: and posed for some nice :cam:

We were 2 cars on either side of him and we sat there for about 15 minutes and he didn't wanted to move... After a while the other car made a U-turn but I was adamant to stay o;n my route-I was so close to the H11 that I didn't wanted to turn around. We had a stare off competition ME Image against the BEAST Image I didn't blink and bared my teeth and this is what happened...

After my victory I decided to drive to Lake Panic and enjoy some nice and quiet birding activities!
Waterlily

These fellas were making one helluva noise and I really enjoyed their Mohicans :w:
Goliath Herons

Water thick-knee

Can anyone help with the ID of this birdy?

Green backed Heron-didn't see any green? :?:

So I went back to Skukuza after I left lake Panic
to be continued

So I got hold of Marica-they were the ones that shared the leopard sighting with me-you will see their car in my pic and she said I could share her pic with all of you! :dance:
NOW THIS IS A MAGNIFICENT :cam:

THANKS MARICA :thanx:

12 Jul Tambotie
13 Jul Sable Hide
14+15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:01 am 
Day 3...continues

So as I left Lake Panic I decided to go to the low water bridge on the H1-2-soooooo glad I did Image!!!! On the bridge between Lake Panic and Skukuza I hear this little birdie sing me a song Image

And as I go over the bridge and turn to my left what stares back at me??????????????????????????????????
Image Image Image Image Image

Heeeeerrrrreeeee Kitty Kitty Kitty

Two beautiful specimens were chilling in the reeds-totally unfair as my pics weren't the best and you can't sit for 20 minutes and wait for them to move because people want to cross the bridge. I was a picture of unhappinessImage

I made a U-turn, had another like 30 seconds with them and then had to move on. I did get to see this beauty, which I wouldn't have if I stayed...

So, I take the long road back to Berg en Dal (H3) and nothing-I mean nothing up until I'm about 5km from Afsaal and I see 1 of those caravan-car-moving vans at the wrong side of the road. So I decide to do the same and YO YO YO I was glad I did...Image

And NO! He wasn't dead just the laziest bugger I've seen in my life! Now that caravan-thingamajig had the best spot and they stayed there for about 30 minutes. NOT EVEN TAKING PICS :rtm: :sniper: Blocking the road for everyone! I move a bit to the front and took a few pics over their bonnet that I had to cut off the pics :slap:

It was a shame! The lion stood up after a while and walked away-he looked very old and it seemed that one of his paws were not lekker because he had a bit of a limp. :oops:

I decided to move on and checked in at BnD. At my house this little lady stole something from someone else-but it was precious to look at her!

I took my own sunset drive and went to Matjulu dam on my way I saw a White fronted Bee eater

and a rhino

and just outside the BnD entrance a marabou stork

So day 3 were finished. It rained a bit but I still braaied and made a boerie roll which I had with an ice cold Savanna...HEAVEN :dance:

I went to bed early that night-aka just passed out again... Everybody calls it going on holiday but I have never been more physically drained and tired in my life even if I enjoyed every bit of the time I spent on the roads and trying to spot aMiNals! So as they count the seconds off for the NEW YEAR I am sharing my time with you HAPPY HAPPY everyone!

12 Jul Tambotie
13 Jul Sable Hide
14+15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:29 pm 
DAY 4

So yet another morning in paradise! Who can say that their life sucks when they have had the opportunity to visit the most amazing place? Ok, that is the case for meImage

I wake up at a late 3:45 this morning, quick shower and a very strong :lotsocoffee: that almost wakes me up immediately. I thought that I was going to be late because I overslept but that wasn't the case-this women can get dressed and pack in a flash Image

I wait in front of the gate and at last it open-so hear I am driving in my FIAT at the speed of tortoise down the S110 Image

It went all the way to the H3 like this:
See something-STOP-take out binocs-look-other car pass me and stop in front of me and start looking as well-OOPS it was a mirage-pass the other car. It happened 3 times and then the car didn't stop again...Image My eyes mislead me a few times...OOPS

On the H3 things started to heat up, I saw this verrrrrry ugly fella (Now don't get me wrong! I love them and all, most of them are so fluffy and cute but boy was this one U-GLY)Image

This fella popped out of nowhere :big_eyes:

He was busy with breakfast-crunching his greens and not giving much thought about this random women taking photos of him :roll:

Kudu that was the plate for someone else having a brekkieImage

And then-on the Mlambane bridge sleeping beauties were waiting for me... :dance:

It was so quiet on the bridge-we were 4 cars, all of our ignitions off and enjoying nature at its best. i stayed with them for about 20 minutes and it was heaven! And there where no roadblock. As a car moved on we all moved a bit forward and a car joined us-never being more than 4 cars on the bridge even as the bridge can take bout 15 cars. It was so serene sharing this sighting with the other visitors.
And as it was my time to leave I just smiled-it was 5:15 and I already saw lions Image

TO BE CONTINUED....

12 Jul Tambotie
13 Jul Sable Hide
14+15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:18 am 
DAY 4....continues

I leave the lions knowing that today will bring me much more because seeing lions so early can only mean that luck is on my side today Image

Just before Afsaal I spot a Tawny (I think :hmz: )

And then one of those MASSIVE snails

So it is too early to stop at Afsaal at 6:00 and I pass-being very glad that I did. About 1km before the S13 I see 3 cars and immediately I slow down even more because you never know if it is an animal next to the road. I look to my left and another kitty awaits my camera :cam: :dance: Ok I am going to show a lot of pics because all of them were amazing for me! I was with her for about 30 minutes...Image

She then decided to climb out of the tree that's when my :idea: started to flicker and I moved my car sideways and caught this picImage

She went to sit on a rock on the other side and because started licking herself but was hidden behind a lot of branches-my pics of that weren't that good. :( So moved on...

After that I saw a wartie

A dung beetle couple that was rolling around

and baby impies

Now I had a a sunset drive in BnD October 2011 and the ranger that was doing the drive told us a very interesting and funny story about impies. He asked if we saw the 'M' marking on their bums? Now you can see it very clearly on the pic. He said that the marking is their advertising because they are the McDonald's of the Kruger and when they laid on their backs the Wimpy's. Now it may not seem that funny to you now but it was then-maybe it is one of those stories that's only funny at the moment when you tell them... Oh well. We laughed about it!Image

to be continued...

12 Jul Tambotie
13 Jul Sable Hide
14+15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:21 pm 
So DAY 4 .....is still continuing

I decide to go take a look at Lake Panic-hopefully I will see the elusive Malachite Kingfisher Image
BTW this is my last day in the Kruger as a resident...I'm sleeping in Sabie Park the following 3 nights and my family is joining me-we will be day visitorsImage
As I arrive at Lake Panic-serenity greets me with open arms. It is filled with such beauty and assortment of colors-as if with my camera is painting the miracle that was given to us by Yahweh. Sitting on the bench and taking in the colors and sounds of these magnificent birds and the lake just leaves me breathless. We will never truly appreciate fauna and flora as we were intended to do...

So that was a bit serious...Image So on a lighter note here is the birdies...

I think this is the Cape Weaver :hmz:

Fish eagle

Grey Heron

Goliath Heron

And NO malachite...Image

On my way to Kruger Gate this fella says goodbye...

Sooooooooooo, I get to Sabie Park-unpack, get myself a cold Savanna Light and it's only 11:00-my family will only be here at 16:00.
:idea:Yes, an idea springs into mind... Lets just make it a 'quick' drive back to the Kruger...Image

So I'm back on the road again, Sabie Park is only 2 km from the Kruger-and I'm entering the Kruger Gate. It feels like I've never leftImage

I quickly go to Skukuza and buy and ice cream-believe you me it is HOT here-and thinking to myself that I have seen everything of the Big 5 today except the buff and ellie which is strange because normally that is the only two that we see :hmz:

And towards the S1 who says Helo? :yaya:

Ok, so he didn't say hi, he just wandered over the road minding his own business...
I take the S1 to Phabeni and then turn on the riverine road (S3) where I see this cutie pie

and these BIG fellas that is busy with lunchImage

This was really interesting to watch because this old timer was tearing a branch of the tree, then tearing the smaller twigs with the leaves of the branch and then chowing that dead, dry branch... Maybe he needed a bit of roughage?

On my way back to the gate again I saw this beauty...
I believe it's a Wahlberg eagle :hmz:

I left the Gate :( but I knew I would be back soon... :w:

To be continued...

12 Jul Tambotie
13 Jul Sable Hide
14+15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:10 pm 
Day 4....exhaustingly continuing

So I got back at Sabie Park and waited and at long last they came-I quickly helped them unpack and the me and me mum went for a sunset drive in the Kruger...17:00-18:30

We went in and the first sighting was seen by her-she was very psyched up because she didn't know that the bird was actually a protected species.

Went on the S1 and from there on the S3 again-I really like the riverine road. It has so much to offer. View, bird and animals.
We saw a chama-chama-chameleon

And then a beautiful LBR-the lighting is just never great when I have to take a pic of these birdies Image

We almost missed this bushbuck boytjie-he just ran out of the bushes and disappeared almost immediately again Image

And then came upon a spectacle-there were a lot of vultures-EVERYWHERE :big_eyes:
They were eating something I suppose, I couldn't really see what but they did let me get quite a few nice pics. :dance:

And we saw the undertaker Mr Marabou

And to top our 'sunset drive' off an ellie

Well I thought that was a great drive and we left the Kruger with minutes to spare. That night we found out that the electricity doesn't work-the batteries that is being charged by the solar panel actually explodedImage At least we had paraffin lamps and we sat outside with our Amarulas on ice-just appreciating the sounds of the bush. I went to bed later that night because I only had to wake up and hour later the next morning-YEAHImage

12 Jul Tambotie
13 Jul Sable Hide
14+15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next