Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: DuQues Golden Gate - Veranda safari Nov 11
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:54 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Just a quick first post to let you know that yes, we are in SA at the moment.
As you guessed/knew from the title we were at Golden Gate. So lets see a little view for those that don't know the park:

I think you agree that this view will set your heart to beating a little faster? ;)
We are still in Africa, with little computer time, or Internet access, so will continue the report when we get home. These photos are just quick and dirty grabs made with Irfanview, so not of a high quality.
But lets first introduce some of our neighbours:

One of the many zebras around, just next to our cabin:

Flatty the gecko:

Stripey the house mouse (though he did not enter the house):

One of the five Ground Woodpeckers that were almost always around:

Rot, the house rat, which was scared often by us:

We had 4 nights in the Highlands Retreat, and will be in the Basutu Cultural village tomorrow.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject: Re: Golden Gate - Veranda safari
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:43 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Well, the last day in SA, in about two and a half hours the taxi will pick us up to transport us to the airport.
I have heard quite a few people say that at GG there are barely any animals. They go only to see if they can see the Lammergeier (check!), Cape Vulture (check!) and the Bold Ibis (check!).
Well, those people are completely wrong. The area around the Basotho Cultural Village looks like the Masai Mara! Large herds of eland, blesbok, zebra and springbok are there, and birdlife is prolific (Blue Crane? Check!)
We'll be landing at Schiphol tomorrow, and I have the wednesday off, so I may post some extra photos to show you the wildlife then.
See you soon!

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:58 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Lets go back to the beginning, but stay in SA. This is the plane that brought us to O.R.Tambo:

Photo copyright Micheal Combrink, he took it while we are still in the plane. To the back, out of sight behind the wing.
This plane and airline is a dream, I (1.90m or such) could even cross my legs while seated! Service was good, the ICE system with it 1200+ movies and series as well as games, did keep me from being bored. I actually watched part of a movie on the leg to Dubai, and the rest in this plane.

From here we went to GP's parents for a much needed shower, and tons of chatter of course.
The next few days were spent arranging a namechange and renewal of GP's driverslicense and family visits which I won't bore you with.
But we did warm up our cameras and spotting skills at Walter Sisulu and Suikerbosrand, so sneaking in a few photos here:

A redchested cuckoo (piet my vrou) looking at me:

And with food:

A Paradise Flycatcher male:

White-bellied sunbird:

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:04 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

We have zipped to Golden Gate. ;)
On the way there we saw very few remarkable birds, and actually we were surprised by the lack of raptors seen so far. There were some Blackshouldered kites around on the poles, and one place I saw one hover, dive, and come up with a mouse, but that was through the binoculars, so no photos.

This was on the evening of our arrival:

The cabin you see here is the staffcabin, must be the best place in all of the SANParks staff accommodations....

A nice sunset over a fantastic view. Simply, as the title of the topic says, from the veranda.
The next morning meant getting up early for sunrise, and as you look east from the fourperson cabins that should promise some fireworks. I'll let you decide:

A bit later:

The alarmclocks went off as usual, but not the ringing ones, but the ones that make a really friendly loud one. Here is one of them waking up and doing it's morning ritual:

There was a family of two parents and 3 (later 2) young ground woodpeckers around the whole day.
The vleirot which lives next to the cabin was already at breakfast, partially hidden from me by some grass.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:11 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Some panoramic photos taken that evening / morning. They can not be displayed in the forums as they are way too large, so links only:
Pano 1
Pano 2
Pano 3
Pano 4
Pano 5
Don't forget to zoom to 100% in your browser. ;)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]