Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Vlakvarkvrou Pafuri to Phalaborwa in 2 days - 1 and 2 Oct 11
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:58 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I have this friend – she will do anything to get into KNP, and she loves to turn my arm (which is not difficult) and even make me tell stories to get us on the road again. The previous time we ended in the KTP. Before my daughter, sister and I depart to the KNP the beginning of September 2011, she started telling me about friends (the Bush People) going to the North of the KNP during the 1st week of October and it would be nice to join them that 1st weekend. I was quite relaxed knowing that I will be back for only 1 week and can plead tiredness, no leave, etc.

To make a long story short – 30 September 2011 at 12.00 Mads and I were on the N1 on our way to a small Nature Reserve near Louis Trichardt where we will sleep over that night to leave early the next morning for Pafuri Gate. BB30 and mom BM will leave Johannesburg later the afternoon and join us the evening.

We had a braai the evening with Reserve Manager Lourens and his wife Annelize and went to bed at 1.00am.

To those who have already read the first chapter, I had to remove the photos of the nature reserve
where we slept over as it is not a SANpark. I apologize for the oversight.

17/12/2014-01/01/2015

Last edited by Vlakvarkvrou on Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Pafuri to Phalaborwa in 2 days - 1 and 2 October 2011
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:16 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The two lucky members of the Bush family were only able to leave Johannesburg at 13h45 and had to travel a road strewn with roadblocks that VVV and Mads did not encounter in the form of three very serious accidents on the way and that caused us to arrive at our Friday night accommodation much later than anticipated! In fact, when we arrived, we didn't even enter it, but went on to the lapa immediately.
That was the start of a very enjoyable evening and a wonderful weekend!

1-6 May '13

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:30 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

If you think we went to bed late ……. At 3.00am our alarm clocks went off. Mads turned around and went on sleeping. I got up and say to myself that if the chalet next to us is still dark, I am also going back to sleep. But ….the lights were on next door and BB30 and BM thus sabotage my plans to sleep again.

We made coffee, pack our bags and load the cars and off we go. At the gate we had to “toot” a few times before the poor guard was dressed and opened the gate for us.

We arrived at Pafuri Gate before 6.00am and had to wait until they were ready for us at reception. And in we go. Perhaps I should mention the wishes on my wish list:
Crested Guinea fowl
Crowned Hornbill
Sharp’s Grysbok
And Roan
Mads wanted very badly to see a funny, very big rat, etc. She and BB30 and BM can add their lists tomorrow.

Very soon after we entered we saw my favourite warthogs

At the beautiful Luvhuvu Bridge we saw our first Giant Kingfisher posing on the rail

We turned right into the S64. What a beautiful road with its huge Baobabs and lots of animal life. Here we saw squirrels and our 1st Njalas, one of them a real show-off

The first of MANY baboons and Impalas

And the first “tick” on my list – a Crested Guinea Fowl. They were running around in the bushes, but one of them decided to pose for a while..

I hope that later on in the TR, somebody remembers to tell you about the suicide bucks.

17/12/2014-01/01/2015

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:08 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Before we turn back to the Pafuri Picnic site, we drove through the Baobabs and saw these beautiful Kudus

At the picnic site we were greeted by Frank. BB30 replaced his old yellow ribbon with new yellow and red ribbons

BB30, BM and Mads went with Frank to photograph birds in the bushes behind the picnic area. I decided to stay and sat down at one of the wooden benches facing the river …… and did I enjoy myself!!!
A variety of kingfishers, a White-fronted Bee-eater and a Bearded Wood-pecker showed themselves

Various animals came to the river to drink – really as in a fairy tale (as somebody mentioned in a recent TR) such as Njalas, Impalas, Bushbuck and Baboons

17/12/2014-01/01/2015

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:47 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi every body!! Yes I am definately on board!! Wow!! What a 2 days!! We had such a wonderful time up North!

I am sorry that I didnot post more as yet, I have had a few busy days...

Well let me add a few things... It did not take much to twist VVV's arm... BB30 and I and another friend were in Pafuri for the day in Aug.. To do some birding.. And it was amazing how the bush changed from then until this weekend... As soon as I get time I will post pics of the limpopo river of both these weekends. That is also why we decided to enter at Pafuri gate again.

Birding wise I did not take many photographs at the picnic site... You will have to wait for pics in Bushbaby 30's TR. She took all the pics.. Well I did get a lifer ( for those non birders- thsat mean a bird I have never seen before) and other specials such as the green-winged Pytilia, wattle eye flycatcher, blue grey flycatcher, tropical boubou and many of the "regulars". Frank was amazing! Unfortunately he can only "help" if the picnic spot is not busy!

Now back to my lifer... We went looking for the Orange-winged Pytilia.. I nearly gave up!! All we saw for a while were fire finches and blue waxbills... And then it appeared!! I was out of my skin!! This is a very special little bird!!

Untill next time...

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:42 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We are now on our way to Crooks’ Corner driving next to the lovely Luvuvhu River and the beautiful scenery.

The “usual” animals were also there

Water Thick-knee

On our way we saw a huge herd of Buffalo trying to cross the road to the river. When we realize where they were going to cross, we turned back to a look-out where we could watch them. When they leave, Vultures suddenly started to land in the vacant space. We then realize there was a dead Impala (we think) lying there that we did not see when we stopped for the Buffalo. We speculate what could have happened…..surely not the Buffalo who killed it? We believe it could be a Leopard who killed it and then fled when the huge herd of “beasts” came down the river bank? We sat for a while watching them feed on this poor animal.

In the water next to us – a Goliath Heron

Huge crocodiles were gliding alongside the river bank and smaller ones were “resting” in the water at Crooks corner

Few photos before we return to the Picnic Area

17/12/2014-01/01/2015

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:54 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

On our way back with the S63 from Crooks Corner to the H1-8 en route to Punda Maria
I forgot to mention that we made use of a 2 way radio between our 2 cars (Mads and I and BB30 and her mom BM). Between us we missed nothing!!!

At Klopperfontein it was very quiet and we did not stay that long

After we reached Punda Maria and offload the necessary things in the tent, Mads and I decided to drive along the Mahonie loop before dark.
Blurry photo of a Brown headed Parrot

Yellow-billed Oxpeckers through the branches

The second tick on my wish list – Crowned Hornbill

Duiker

Brown-hooded Kingfisher
And the 3rd tick on my wish list – Sharp’s grysbok

Back in the camp

17/12/2014-01/01/2015

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:55 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Evening at the tent – we heard a rustle in the veldt near the tent. I will share with you the result of excellent team work – Mads with a spot light, BB30 with my camera (at stages she was leopard crawling and others lying flat on her stomach on the tent’s wooden floor) and Bushmom and I just looking and enjoying the sighting

After all this excitement we sat down and enjoyed a wonderful meal and this pudding

17/12/2014-01/01/2015

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:04 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Day 2: We left Punda Maria at 5.30. The rest of my TR will be in pictures

Dassie (Afrikaans – Geel kol Dassie. Directly translated – Yellow Spotted Dassie: BB30/Mads help!!!!)

Buffalo again

Baobab

Near Klopperfontein we saw foot prints in the sand and then we came across these rare/foreign objects next to the road

Beautiful Tawny and a disabled Tsessebe

Crowned Hornbill and Secretary Bird

Too beautiful to resist

Sleepy

And what shall I say – the 4th and last tick on my list.
When we told people what we saw in the bushes and what we are waiting for to appear, all of them smiled and moved on !!

17/12/2014-01/01/2015

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:33 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Day 2 continues
Black-headed Oriole at Babalala

Boyela Elephants

Mavatsani

Stolen/confiscated property?
At Tihongonyeni

(Ngodzi was also there)

A bit further on

17/12/2014-01/01/2015

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:46 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

After a lovely one and a half days and two nights of very little sleep) our paths diverged at Boyela: we went beck up to Punda and you had to go home :(
Wish we could have shared more!

1-6 May '13

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:50 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

And so ends another (this time very short) visit to the KNP – the last photos of day 2. Of course with my luck with road block during me and my family’s recent visit to the park, I told Mads that I hope we will be lucky today because we were already late and the possibility of leaving Phalaborwa Gate at 18.00 was becoming very slim.

Masthulele

It was getting dark now, but we should make the gate in time……..and then something running all over the road – the inevitable road block

We left the gate while they were busy closing it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Until next time.
Our friends BB30 and BM will still be in the park for the rest of the week and I know they had even more wonderful sightings than us!!!

17/12/2014-01/01/2015

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]