Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 2
 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: ANNUAL MIGRATION OF A SPARROW Dec 2009
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:02 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

PREAMBLE

As I said last night I’m no :wiz: at this game but I will attempt this daunting task with much trepidation and :think: . Nothing ventured nothing gained.

In 2009 I attempted a “ virtual” Trip Report whilst in the Park but wasn’t able to upload or didn’t know how to upload pictures :doh: :wall: so it just faded away. Since then Michel has shown me how to do the uploading and therefore I feel that the time is now ripe to put finger to key board and write this report.

However please be patient in the beginning as I learn this new trade which I’m sure will get easier and easier as we proceed down the migratory path.

(This report actually started last night but before I could post I lost signal and poofff all was gone). Thanx to CC and Elsa who advised me of what to do i.e. SAVE first.

This report will cover quite some ground and will span over the last three migrations with a short out of season sojourn in March.

No notes were taken so it will all be from memory and prompts from the Director, Camera dates and later by Granddad.
I would like to take this opportunity to introduce you to the lesser (human / motorized) characters taking part in this production as we will meet the STARS of the show a bit later.

DIRECTOR Sparrowhawk Ross my Son
NARRATOR Sparrow Russel, Ross` Dad
PHOTOGRAPHY Sparrowhawk / Sparrow
EDITOR`S Sparrowhawk / Sparrow / Granddad
CATERER`S Who ever started the fire
LOCATION Kruger National Park
CURRATOR SANparks
TRANSPORT Reg Touareg R5 TDI
ACCOMODATION Trek Sprite Swing (no tents)
GAFFER Granddad (Garth) a man of advanced years,
especially a man from the country (ref: Encarta Dictionary: English (U.K.)

Well it has now begun but remember to have patience. A sparrow’s nest was never built in a day.
Will see you ALL a bit later so just believe.

Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished Lao Tzu

Shingwedzi 27/12/14 to 30/12/14
Satara 31/12/14 to 04/01/15
Lower Sabie 05/01/15 to 10/01/15

Post subject: Re: ANNUAL MIGRATION OF A SPARROW
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:54 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

12 December 2009
All of a sudden the radio started playing at 3.30am and I was tempted to hit the snooze button. But then I remembered that it was set for this time for a reason.
We are going to KRUGER. :clap: :clap: :dance: :dance:
All the necessary early morning things were concluded, we locked up the house hitched up the caravan and pulled out of the gate at 3.58am.
Our trip was to take the N2 coastal road (passed Hugh`s/Elizabeth`s place) up the North Coast to Pongola then Piet Retief to Nelspruit Hazy view and in through Orpen Gate. A trip of + 9 hours. Not to be. Firstly about 25kms out from Pongola we were overtaken and flagged down by two damsels in distress. They informed us that they were about to run out of petrol :redface: and asked for a lift into Pongola which we did and then took them back to their car and saw them safely back on their way. (add 40 minutes to the journey). Once through Pongola this is where the madness started :evil: . First stop for road works at the bottom of the pass. (add another 30 minutes to the journey). We set off again and travelled about 60kms until more road works. Unfortunately the construction worker had just closed the boom and we could see the last car allowed through disappearing over the hill not more than 200 metres ahead :big_eyes: . I asked Ross if he was hungry and after the affirmative we decided to take out the skottle and make breakfast. This amused the other people caught in the queue and some of them followed our lead and soon the whole place smelt of freshly cooking bacon and eggs. This wait was a further 55 minutes. (so add a further 55 minutes). Some more road works outside Piet Retief (add another 20 minutes) Once through these road works all was clear and plain sailing to White River.
As we were now close to our destination :dance: and had plenty of time :clap: to get to Orpen Gate I phoned Satara to see if there was a camp site available for the 12th as we were only booked in from the 13th. We were told that we were most welcome and that a site was available :clap: . All the frustrations of the day disappeared with this news and we both relaxed and now really started to look forward to our extra day/night in our beloved Park until about 25kms from Hazyview we joined the back of a funeral procession :whistle: . Twenty five kms at 30kms an hour = 50 minutes, no overtaking with a caravan at the back (add another 50 minutes).
After getting through this mess I cranked up the speed only to get stopped by a lady in blue :rtm: just before the Orpen Gate road turn off. Some negotiations took place :wall: and we set off once again to arrive at Orpen at 5.15pm booked in as quickly as possible and set off at exactly 5.30pm. We only had 60 minutes to do 45kms to Satara. No cameras were unpacked and off we set. We arrived at Satara at 6.40pm, 10 minutes after closing time and had to fill in the late arrivals register book :rtm: :naughty: .
By then I felt who cares we are here and we had also seen a leopard on the way in. Unfortunately no camera and maybe that was why we were 10 minutes late. A normal 9 hour drive became 14 and a half hours drive. Never mind tomorrow is better. Believe

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:16 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Well now that the two :littleangel: s have had their say lets continue

13 December 2009
Please bare with us on this the first of three of the migrations we took with new camera equipment and all info according to memory. (As I previously said no notes were taken. We are in the bush and anything that reminds us of work is taboo).
Well after a long arduous trek North the previous day we decided that a little sleep in was in order. Once awake we set up camp with all the necessary things one needs to make oneself comfortable whilst camping i.e. bread maker and comfortable chairs. (Needless to say have never used the bread maker yet).
We packed Reg with the necessary items required for a day in the bush and left camp at 6.15am, turned right at the gate down the H1-3 heading down Satara Road H7 with the idea of seeing the Leopard that caused our delay the previous evening.
We had only travelled about 3 kms down the H7 when we came across these fellows
and we thought we were in luck. All sitting quietly for breakfast which never appeared. (we had heard lions roaring the previuos evening) We carried onto Nsemeni dam (Satara`s Sunset Dam but a bit further from camp) and sat there for a while with coffee and biscuits when this poor one eyed fellow Image
gave us the eyeball.
We then decided to go look for our leopard but with no luck we made a U turn and returned to camp for a swim and a bit of a rest.
In the afternoon we once again went right down the H1-3 and found these important main characters that will feature quite prominently in this production.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Once back at camp the traditional first meal in the bush of langoustines, rice and garlic butter sauce was prepared eaten and later washed down with a Captains n Coke, a cold shower and off to bed in anticipation of what tomorrow will bring. Before we went to sleep I said to Ross that tomorrow would be his day for Lions. Believe.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:31 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

14 December 2009 DAY OF THE HYENA and SIX BLONDES

We were the first at the gate and waited with hot coffee and rusks until they were opened.
This morning we turned right out of Satara and headed for Timbivati Picnic Spot for breakfast. Nothing much on the tar road but for a couple of Elephants that were so far away they looked like dwarfs.
This fellow gave us our first camera opportunity of the morning as we turned onto the S127 heading for Timbivati.

Image Image

It was still fairly early so we took our time with breakfast which consisted of eggs, bacon, sausage and mushrooms and a lovely steaming cup of tea. Once the dishes and the rest of the breakfast stuff were packed away we set of for Oliphant’s.

I wanted to continue you with more but my bl*%$#Y computer is playing up once again so the Hyena`s and blonds will have to wait until tommorrow. Believe

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:12 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Yeah yeah yeah you can all pull the proverbial out of me but please be warned that by the end of this the first of three episodes I might just have perfected the task of posting pics on my 3g.

This was the other pic that should have been there.

So if you humans want to chewnnnnn with me I advise you get on the bus and enjoy

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:10 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Right if you are all sitting comfortable two square on you botty we will continue with

Day of the Hyena`s and six Blondes.

It was still fairly early so we took our time with breakfast which consisted of eggs, bacon, sausage and mushrooms and a lovely steaming cup of tea. Once the dishes and the rest of the breakfast stuff were packed away we set of for Oliphant’s.
About 4 kms from the Olifant’s River Bridge we met our first scrum down (traffic jam) of the holiday. Just off the side of the road is a culvert that is home to these delightful animals. I will let the pictures tell the tale.

We also share our yellow ribbons

After spending 40 minutes with this family we decided it was time to proceed to the Olifant’s river bridge and stretch our legs. This was done with another cup of tea Christmas cake and slice of mature cheddar cheese. (Another tradition Mi)

We then continued on towards Olifants and were rewarded with these delightful creatures.

Once the pit stop was sorted at Olifants we decided to take a slow drive back to Satara via the S90 and found this lone fellow all by himself with not another creature in sight.

Just before N`wanetsi this magnificent boy popped in for a photo shoot.

He was completely relaxed and I think if he could talk he would have asked if he could autograph his picture.

Onto the H6 and just before the Shihangani water hole we found these six blondes. Very lazy as all lions are but what a treat all to ourselves for at least half an hour.

Yes we also found it funny and had a good laugh.

We left them after about two hours and set off for camp.

Just before camp we came across this baby clown to end off a great day in the bush.

Tomorrow is all about eye`s in the dark. Believe

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:53 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

15 December 2009 EYES IN THE DARK

Once again first at the gate with coffee and rusks for me as Ross was still in :zzz land.

Today we turned left down the H 1-3, our plan being to go down the Orpen Satara Road H7 and wait for Mother Nature to reveal what she had planned for us.

There was a long snake of cars behind us and we hadn’t travelled no more than 3kms when we found ourselves at the back of this snake. I said to Ross “good thing we aren’t doing the S100 today.”

We turned onto the H 7 with only 1 car ahead of us and travelled at our normal pace of + 20kms.
All of a sudden Ross stiffened and only just managed to get the words S T O P out. It was 4.45am and there on the left side of the road were these :--

The beauty of having a flash light for the early morning darkness.
I flashed my lights at Sebastian Vettel ahead of us and he came back to enjoy these wonderful sighting with us as the sun come up.

Out of nowhere this cocky little fellow appeared looking for his share of the breakfast.

It was now about 6.00am and a huge scrum had formed. We decided it was time to leave and after much juggling we managed to extricate ourselves from the mêlée. We were now on the wrong side of the road as all the cars with their occupants were concentrating on what was happening on the left.

Suddenly on our right hand side this beauty and her babies appeared

We felt that she was trying to introduce the youngsters to their new family but the babes were rather nervous to cross the road with all the commotion going on. Can you believe it we took our pictures with no disturbance from the rest of the madding crowd just to our left.

We continued down the H 7 past Nsemeni Dam and turned left onto the S12 down the S40 to Timbivati for our usaul breakfast with the bushbuck and found this new Log Cabin with its residents in residence.

and a bit further on this little beauty.

That concludes the morning adventures with Mother Nature and what a Mother she is.
In the meantime BELIEVE

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:15 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

EYES IN THE DARK continued

After another scrumptious breakfast we set off again towards Leeubron and came across this little group with no cares in the world.

They plodded up the road as if we were not even there. (I`m sure they knew what we had been treated with earlier on in the morning).
Suddenly it was my turn to shout (softly tho) STOP and I did. These honeymooners were taking a short little break from what honeymooners do and posed for some pictures.

She was so pretty but also very shy and quickly hid behind some bushes.

He on the other hand was so proud of his mate that he just sat there and gloated.

After a while with this pair (once again all by ourselves) we decided to push on towards Muzandzeni and came upon these two sentries

who were guarding both directions of the road. It was quite funny coz they would not move for about 1o minutes and I said to Ross. “Do you think the guard at the gate will believe us if we arrived late because of a giraffe roadblock”. He just smiled quietly to himself with no comment at all.
Once they let us pass we came upon this fella

and I always seem to only get the backside view of them even though they walk so determinedly slow. If not for the Girries we may have got him crossing the road.
This was our first and only Ellie of the day

and he obliged by being very patient whilst we got our snaps and then moved on

I must admit that after the excitement of our early morning lions the day seemed to just drag on with not much activity but what a blessing to just be out in da bush.

Just before camp we came upon this kindergarten

and I just love their inquisitive and so innocent look in their eyes. Aren’t all youngsters the same?

Once back in camp Ross got these little swallows

in their nests at the scullery whilst I made the fire braaied the meat and baked the spuds. Once all was cleaned up and we had showered it was time for a nice big glass of Cappies `n coke with lots of ice flat out on our backs to watch the sky and stars before turning in.
And believe me but this episode has taken the best part of 4 hours to upload. I joined tinypic
BELIEVE

Last edited by Sparrow on Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:08 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:11 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

16 December 2009. Orpen Gate.

Before we turned in last night I said to Ross that we needed to get a picture of the new Orpen Gate as we were doing our southern trek down to Lower Sabie the next day. Also there had been sightings of cheetah at the junction of the H7 and S106.
We were not the first at the gate but that did not matter as we allowed all the S100 fanatics to speed away and we followed at our leisurely pace and turned onto the H7.
Nothing of interest at Nsemani so we pressed on towards Orpen with no cares in the world. (It`s so lekker to be in da bush).
Just before the H7, S39 and the S36 junction we came across this couple and it reminded me of my visit in 1982 when I was also on honeymoon.

However that`s another story.

We spent a good hour with this couple as they were very comfortable just where they were and had no inclination of moving off the road. LION ROADBLOCK.

We carried on looking for the cheetahs and viola just another 10 minutes down the road their they were.

It was the pair of brothers of which one had an injured leg. It was great to see how the healthy chap looked after his boet and they gave us the opportunity to get some great pics. Eventually they moved on and so did we.

This fellow caught my eye and I was just in time to get a pic before he found something else to do and flew off.

We had our breakfast at

and then headed back to camp for a swim and a bit of a rest.

As we pull a caravan I said to Ross that we had better do the S100 this afternoon before our departure for Lower Sabie. Please do not get me wrong as I am a strong believer in the S100 but as always right place right time. We have seen some great stuff there but that was before the new camera and most is on video.
As we turned onto the S100 we found this little fellow which is not such a good pic but it was the first of the trip.

We turned around and this big fellow was our last sighting of the day.

Back at camp supper done a few cold ones and more Cappies n coke under the stars and then some well earned :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:
We will continue
BELIEVE

Last edited by Sparrow on Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:32 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

17 December 2009. Trek South.

We only surfaced at 6am this morning as it’s no use pulling a caravan in the dark and it only spoils any sightings that might be on the road for the other tourists/visitors.

Seeing that all had been packed away the previous evening all we had to do was take down the patio awning stow it in the boot of the car take a shower and get on the road.

Out of the gate we turned right waved goodbye to the H7, S100 and the H6 and set off for Lower Sabie.

At Kumana we came across this Saddle Billed Stork. What a pity to know that there are only about 100 breeding pairs felt in the wild.

And this little fella doing some fishing off the back of a hippo.

I’m sure I heard him say”keep still you are frightening the fish”

Further on at Mazithi this okey was cooling his feet

Breakfast was done and dusted at Tshokwane and off onto the H10 up the mountain to Nkumbe View Site for a leg stretch more coffee, Christmas cake and cheese and then down the other side and on towards L.S.

We arrived at camp at 12.45pm found a camp site and went to book in. After all the official stuff was done Ross suggested that we get a pie chips and gravy and eat it on the deck. Pie`s were ordered and we just sat there and observed the deck dwellers.

Some more brave than others.

The food arrived

but I was still wondering about my salad whilst Ross just scoffed his down.

The caravan was set up and we left camp at 4.00pm down the H4-2 in hope of Rhino. And guess what

Mom and child.

It was now 5.15pm so we decided to turn around and head off for Sunset Dam and a few sundowners when we found this chap.

He was either tired from the day’s activities or was just preparing for a long night out.

Nothing much was happening at the dam except for this lovely

I then told Ross that it was time to call it a day and we returned to camp. This evening it was Roast chicken potatoes veggies and rice and then a few draughts out on the deck listening to the night sounds.

Still more to come.

BELIEVE.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:06 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Just to let you know I haven`t gone missing but this fellow did frighten me off for a while. Will be back shortly.

Tanx Val for the lesson.

405 by russelgiliam, on Flickr

I will be back

BELIEVE

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:50 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

18th December 2009 A quiet day down South.

Once again coffee and biscuits at the gate whilst we waited for them to open.

We never plan our day trips but just meander along wherever the feeling takes us. Today the feeling was to go up the H10 and do the S122 back towards camp up the S30 and over the green bridge and back to camp via the H4-1 for a rest and a swim before heading out again. Well not actually planned but that was how the day turned out

This was our first sighting which was taken on the move and then he disappeared as quick as a flash.

372 by Russelg, on Flickr

Three eyes I don’t think so just a blurred picture but it was a lion.

A little bit further on just as the sun was coming up we found this 5 legged fellow and decided to post it for Cheetertjie as I believe he has a song about these animals.

377 by Russelg, on Flickr

Once on the loop these magnificent beasts put in an appearance and decided to stick around for a photo shoot.

379 by Russelg, on Flickr

381 by Russelg, on Flickr

382 by Russelg, on Flickr

A few kms further on we came across this chappie

387 by Russelg, on Flickr

389 by Russelg, on Flickr

all by himself and could not make up our minds whether he was a side stripped jackal or a hand washed and groomed BBJ who had gone grey. Any way I will leave it up to you to decide.

Once on the green bridge we got these two magnificent fellows

391 by Russelg, on Flickr

and then returned to camp for a swim and some graze.

To be continued. BELIEVE

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:01 pm 

More great pics Sparrow,
love the YBK on the bridge railing and the SS Jackal very nice sighting. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:14 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

After a swim and a bit of a nap we set off towards Croc Bridge with the hope of finding Mom and child again and guess what. No such luck.
We then headed back to Sunset Dam and were entertained by these critters. I will let them tell you what we heard.

398 by Russelg, on Flickr

Hey you two over there.

397 by Russelg, on Flickr

Check this out I can do the can can

401 by Russelg, on Flickr

Don`t believe him dear no man can can can.

403 by Russelg, on Flickr

Anyway sweetie the sun is about to set so give mommy a kiss and off to bed.

404 by Russelg, on Flickr

After a sundowner or two we went back to camp made supper and lay under the night skies until sleep time.
Until we meet again BELIEVE

Last edited by Sparrow on Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:36 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

19th December 2009. Just to be in the bush.

Once again coffee and biscuits at the gate but this time with a mate and his daughter who had joined us from Durban the previous evening whilst we waited for them to open.
Well this morning we turned right and headed towards Skukuza and for what awaited us. Sunset Dam was deserted except for a few Hippos and some crocs but with the lack of light at this time of the morning we pushed on. Rather quiet with general game but once on the green bridge over the Sabie River on the H12 we found our resident YBK

407 by Russelg, on Flickr

and Giant Kingfisher.

410 by Russelg, on Flickr

Onto the Marula Loop and we managed to photograph this Ayres Hawk Eagle. (I think )

421 by Russelg, on Flickr

422 by Russelg, on Flickr

who was not very co-operative as he would not come around to the front of the tree.
Pulled into Skukuza and stocked up on some provisions and then headed back to camp down the H4.1 and came across this little family.
Hey good looking

423 by Russelg, on Flickr

Mom and Kid

425 by Russelg, on Flickr

Kid in Training

428 by Russelg, on Flickr

This LBR

429 by Russelg, on Flickr

posed for a few pics.

Just before we got back to camp this Ellie entertained us for a while.

436 by Russelg, on Flickr

435 by Russelg, on Flickr

Another swim was in order as you must realize that at 12 noon in December temps get up into the 40s. But how we love it.

A rather tired Sparrowhawk.

456 by Russelg, on Flickr

but I kicked his ar-e and we were back on the road but only as far as Sunset dam where this
Diderick Cuckoo flew in

437 by Russelg, on Flickr

and sat around for a couple of pictures.

438 by Russelg, on Flickr

Whilst we were sipping a couple of beers (no regulations in force then) this lonely
Ellie.

447 by Russelg, on Flickr

pulled in and helped himself to a drink and bothered the basking crocs.

452 by Russelg, on Flickr

Just before we were about to call it a day we were presented with this very familiar site at the dam.

457 by Russelg, on Flickr

Oh well what can one say as these philistines think they own the park and get very upset when one takes their picture.

Enough of this stupidity we headed back to camp where it was spaghetti bolognaise for dinner with a nice bottle of red wine and then off to bed.
We will continue BELIEVE

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next