Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Bush Brat-Bratpacking for a week in Kruger......Oct 2011
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:27 pm 

Hi everybody,

I am Bush Brat (as you all should know by now) and I am going to be doing a TR of all the pics I take while we are in Kruger. This time I am bringing a new toy with me to Kruger :dance: – my new camera….. it is a Canon SX30IS….. it has a very powerful zoom (more powerful than my mom’s camera surprisingly! :big_eyes: ) It shoots videos in HD and has a good lens!
We will be going to Kruger for a week this time as I had been nagging to go for longer than 4 days!! We will be staying at Shingwedzi for the first 2 nights (2nd and the 3rd of October) Olifants the next 2 nights (4th and the 5th of October) Satara the next night (6th of October) and finally Lower Sabie for the last 2 nights (7th and the 8th of October) I have never stayed at Shingwedzi or Olifants so I am looking forward to seeing what they look like and what they have in store for us!!!! :popcorn:
I will be going with my mom and grandfather to Kruger again , and my dad, as normal will be staying at home feeding my dogs, although this time I hope he doesn’t kill them because he has got to the breaking point with them!!! :lol: :roll:
My mom, Flutterby will be doing a proper TR with all the roads we went on and everything else – it’s called A 7 Night Flutter From….. well it’s a very long title but the most important part is “aka Operation Ubhejane”, my grandpa has never seen a blackie in Kruger (neither have we)…. and that is quite odd because for the amount of times he has been going to the KNP he should have seen every animal in the park, and that is almost true and if we see a black rhino on this trip he will be one step closer to that goal……or in his case a dream (every animal in Kruger…….. if only!! :pray: ).
After bringing up the subject of a night drive on our last trip I have been wanting to go ever since – and after long hours of nagging and begging we will be going on a night drive. :dance: We have been asking for some advice on where to go on our night drive and we will most probably go from Shingwedzi…. but if any of you have had better experiences elsewhere please tell me!!!!!!! :thumbs_up:
At the top of my wishlist are a caracal and a honey badger, and yes we did see a honey badger when we went on our last trip but we saw him for a second and barely got a good shot of him! This time I would like a nice sighting of them….. yes I know I am asking for a lot but you can never be too greedy!! :twisted: Of course all the other usual carnivores are also there but…

I have been trying to add some pics taken with my new camera but I'm battling with Tinypic so will try again later.

Speak to you all soon
BB

KRUGER in 3 days!!!!!

Post subject: Re: Bratpacking for a week in Kruger......
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:40 pm 

GlenD - Let's hope that we see all those animals and hope to see you there too! :pray:

Elsa - Sounds like an awesome camera...... although mine does'nt have the GPS thing! :mrgreen:

Cheetah2111 - Cool...thanks for helping to convince my mom - good advice to go with the flow!! :thumbs_up: 8)

Tinypic seems to be working now so here are some :cam: Hope you like..... :pray:

LBR

Giraffe

Wild dogs

Cheetah

KRUGER in 3 days!!!!!

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:55 pm 

JenB said I could post a few more!!! :dance:

Lion Cub

Baby Meerkat

Flowers

Tree in the morning mist

KRUGER in 3 days!!!!!

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:46 pm 

Thank you all for your friendly, kind comments!! :thumbs_up:

Mom - Well I hope you will not be on my computer in Kruger during the braai!! :naughty:

Pumbaa - We were in a lion enclosure and she was the only one sleeping.... so cute!!! :thumbs_up:

Noel - I am not a spoilt brat!!!!! I just get everything I want!!! :wink: :lol: My mom said the same thing about the night drive from LS!!! :thumbs_up: Oh....and the dinner was good!! :lol:

Tawny - Hopefully I can bring back some awesome shots and videos for you! :pray: :wink:

It is only 2 days and I have eventually planned the wishlist (my one.... as my grandpa and mom will disagree with what is what the top of my wishlist and what THEY want on the wishlist!!)

1. Caracal
2. Honey Badger
3. Black Rhino
4. Wild Dog
5. Cheetah
6. Leopard
7. Lion
8. Large or Small-spotted Genet.
9. Civet
10. Porcupine

Well as I said, you can never be too greedy!! :lol: 8) :wink:

KRUGER in 3 days!!!!!

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:08 am 

Thanks Harrys for the kind wishes - hope I can bring back some nice :cam: !! :thumbs_up:

Well eventualy the time has come....... last year in October my grandpa booked for Kruger and since then we have been organizing and planning for the trip!! And tonight (at 12 pm) we will be leaving!!! :dance:

All of the necessities are packed and my mom is cooking some food that needs to be precooked!!!
I woke up quite early this morning so that I could fall asleep nice and early today!!!! :wink: I have checked the weather report and it looks good!!!!! It was quite overcast yesterday but it has now cleared up perfectly (don't want to drive to Kruger in a storm!!) :naughty:

Well all I can do now is wait!!! Wish me luck and I hope that I can bring back some awesome shots and rare sightings caught on camera!!! :pray:
Oh...... and MOM, I will pack when you take the clothes out of the tumble dryer - can't bring wet clothes there!! :tongue:

KRUGER in 3 days!!!!!

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:21 pm 

Well it's time to get this TR started!!! :dance: I woke up quite early on Saturday morning hoping that it would make me tired and make me fall asleep!! :pray:
I thought that just waiting from 6am until 11pm was too long so I asked if I could get together with a friend and go and watch a movie ( Also to help pass the time!! :twisted: )!!!
I tried to go to sleep at about 8:30pm but as it was raining I was too busy worrying about that :roll: , so I only ended up falling asleep at about 9:15pm!!! :naughty:
I woke up at 11pm, had a shower and I was ready to leave!!! It had stopped raining when I woke up (thank goodness!!!!) and by the time my grandpa got here the sky was clear!! :dance:
We left at 11:50pm (earlier than planned! :dance: ) and we got there at exactly 5:30am!!!! I slept most of the way but when we got there I was up and awake and ready to look for animals!! :thumbs_up:

The first :cam: I took was of this ellie right next to the road!! (You will be pleased to here that I am now hardly scared of ellies.... except for ones with young!! :naughty: )

We then saw these impalas that were having quite a rough fight with each other!! :shock:

A nice croc!! :thumbs_up:

A terrapin with some odd things on his back! :hmz:

Once we had got to Mopani I just had to go and take a :cam: of these impala lillies ( that I have now edited to make them look more arty!! 8) )

Some buffs and giraffe!! :thumbs_up:

We then found this Verreaux's Giant-eagle owl ( as he was quite far away and it was quite overcast so it did come out a bit fuzzy!! :( )

We then got to Shingwedzi and unpacked where we met GlenD and Chip!! It was extremely hot reaching temperatures of 34 that day so my mom and I decided to go and take a swim in the pool.... so refreshing!! :D
It was about 3pm when we went out again and right outside the camp was our first traffic jam..... :popcorn:

KRUGER in 3 days!!!!!

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:34 pm 

Anne-marie - :thumbs_up: Thanks for the compliments..... my sleep was very nice!!! It couldn't have been a very comfortable pillow!! :lol:

Billyf - :thumbs_up:

Micetta - I always sleep in the car on the way to Kruger... it is a tradition!! :wink: I was going for an arty feel with the impala lillies!! 8)

Pumbaa - Thanks for the compliments (Hope you dont get bored looking at nearly the same pictures on both TR's..... my mom and I were in the same car!! :wink: )

Well carrying on from where I left off...........

When we got to the traffic jam we thought that it was for elephants. There were cars spread out everywhere which is not normal for a predator sighting! We had found a lovely big tusker (Mpenza I think) when a car stopped next to us and told us that there was a male lion a couple of meters forward!! :D

We went forward and spotted him immediately, he was quite far in but still clear to see!! :dance:
He was starting to develop a black mane, Not the best :cam: as it was getting into the evening now.

Mpenza.... he also had a collar on.

We then spotted a Brown-headed Parrot (First for me and my mom) :thumbs_up:

And lastly a female Nyala (First of many on the trip!!) :wink:

KRUGER in 3 days!!!!!

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:37 pm 

Hey guys.... sorry I took so long to reply (back at school :roll: )!!!

Thank you all so much for the kind comments! :thumbs_up: I really tried hard to get nice :cam: and so far it looks like it has paid off!!!!!

Rino - Yes there sure is!!! :thumbs_up:

Puppy - I really hope that when you next go to Kruger your camera impresses you just as much as it impressed me!!! :thumbs_up:

Pumbaa - You might be doing a lot of comparing because my mom and I have different ways of writing our TR's!! :tongue:

Elsa and Anne-marie - Hahaha.... thanks so much to both of you! :thumbs_up: :)

Noel - I learnt to get braver around ellies from my grandpa..... he loves getting real close!! :evil:

GlenD - It was also nice to meet you and as for the afternoon drive..... my rule is that you never, ever, ever skip any type of drive in Kruger!! :naughty: :wink:

DinkyBird - I wonder what planet he comes from??!! :hmz: :tongue:

Flying Cheetah - We saw so many Eagle-owls that eventually we hardly even stopped for them!! :whistle:

Well here goes Day 2...... We left at 5:25 am and started making our way up to Punda Maria. I had never been that far up before so I was looking forward to seeing the different vegetation and animals up there!! :D

The first animal I photographed was this monkey having lots of fun in the trees!!

We then saw this beautiful male nyala! :thumbs_up:

We then saw a very colourful White-fronted Bee eater

Some impala

My favourite species of birds.... a Brown-hooded Kingfisher :thumbs_up:

And then something new for us...... a Sharpe's Grysbok!!!! None of us had ever seen a Grysbok before - another newbie!! :dance:

We decided to visit Klopperfontein Dam and just out of luck as we were driving off my mom spotted an eland..... another newbie!!! 8)
Unfortunately I didnt get a :cam: because he was very far away and was moving a ot so wasn't so easy to photograph!! :doh: :(

We then stopped at Pafuri for a late breakfast which was yummy and we also met Frank!!
After our delicious breakfast we headed towards Crook's Corner where we saw these very wise looking waterbuck!! :lol:

We then came across Fever Tree Forest, which I had been waiting for all morning! There was just green (well sort of green :lol: ) all around us.... it was beautiful!! :thumbs_up:

KRUGER in 3 days!!!!!

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:27 pm 

Hi everybody..... so sorry I have taken so long to reply but with school, sports and tinypic giving me hassels I havn't been able to post a new edition....

Rino, Anne-marie, Cheetah2111, Tawny, Billyf, Noel, and Pumbaa - Thank you all so, so, so, so much for the comments! :thumbs_up: Glad to see that you are enjoying my TR and that you like my :cam: !!! :thumbs_up:

GlenD - The call of the poll or the call of the wild??!! :tongue: :lol:

Elsa - Well at least my mom got a :cam: of the eland so that we could have a phototgraphic memory of it!!! :dance:

Bushbaby30 - Have you ever seen an eland in Kruger before??? :hmz:

Well tinypic is working so lets begin ( I am going to do quite a long edition so that I can catch up!!) :wink:

Well we left camp at 5:37 and made our way to Olifants!!!

Not even 5kms out of camp we saw the very first animal of the day - a lioness!!

She was quite far out so we decided to make a move and soon after had another great sighting!!!
A hyena den under the road....... they were all running around and making an awful amount of noise!! :wall:

After spending some time with the hyena's we moved on...... the rest of the morning was quiet and we only saw some game at around lunchtime!!
This fish-eagle was fishing and I insisted that we stayed until he took off so that I could get a :cam: but after nearly 10 minutes there was nothing so we left and checked in at Olifants!! :D

Olifants was very nice and our view was spectacular!!!!
At around 3:00pm we left again and as we were driving my grandpa stopped at reversed very carefully....... he stopped very carefully and said that there was an african rock phython right on the side of the road...... vey carefully!! 8) :lol:
We estimated that he was about 2 and a half meters long!!!! (ICKY, BLAGGHHH, EUWWWIE!!) :naughty: :| :shock:

A head shot......

After that we had another quiet patch until we got to Ngotso where I spotted 2 very young (and cute :) ) hyena's walking around near the "Famous Ngotso Den!!"

This one was very optimistic while the other was quite a "scardey cat!!" :naughty: :lol:

And then just before Olifants more....... LIONS!!!! They were very far out and this was the best pic I could get!!

KRUGER in 3 days!!!!!

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:00 pm 

8) Hi guys,

Pumbaa, Anne-marie, - Thanks for the compliments........ :thumbs_up:

Bushmom - We were staying at number 28 at Olifants and so sorry that we missed you..... we most probably out!! (We are very hardcore..... like Bush Baptist!! 8) )

GlenD - You seemed to be missing alot of lions!! :tongue:

Tawny - I absoloutely agree with you..... he was creepy and the only time I opened my window was to take a couple of :cam: and then straight back up it went!!! :lol:

Well the next day.........

Its seemed to be that we would go out and see very good sightings and in the afternoon there was nothing - like for instance this morning around Nywarimathi we saw these............

LIONS..... but there is more - there were 16 of them!!! :big_eyes:

I think that is enough said...... they were running around, playing with each other (some having a go at each other :lol: )!! But with in 10 minutes they were gone, disappeared into the bush and as all the cars came excitedly to see all the commotion my grandpa cooly told them that there were only 16 lions running around in the road..... nothing much!!!! :D :D

From there we got onto the famous S100!!! We were seeing quite alot of game.
Some waterbuck....

Zebra's

Impies.....

And then just as we were starting to think that the S100 was no good for another year we came across a traffic jam......... had our S100 bad luck run been broken......???

KRUGER in 3 days!!!!!

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:37 pm 

Pumbaa - I also think 16 lions were good but hey..... you can never be too greedy!! :lol:

Bushbaby30 - Well I am obviously different to my grandpa because when we saw a dead snake in the middle of the road and we were trying to identify it he offered to get out the car and turn it over so we could see his back!!!!! :naughty: :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

Tawny - :thumbs_up: ..... and we often see zebra's saying all that nonsense to each other!! :lol: :wink:

GlenD - You win some you lose some.....

Well the suspense is over - as we came up to the traffic jam we immediately saw that there were more LIONS!!!! But these lions were not fully grown...... they were cute little cubs!! :dance:
10 of them..... a total of 26 lions today!!!! :big_eyes: They were all lying on a rock and did not dare to move...... the parents must have been away hunting and somehow through some sort of communication sysytem they knew that they had to stay!! We could not get the best :cam: as the weather conditions were very bad (all misty and overcast :( ) and they were about 150m in. :|

All of them together....

Some close ups.......

These 2 "thought" that they could just wander off but as they got nearer to the edge of the rock they stopped and sat down (so much for being brave!! :lol: )

We stayed for about half an hour hoping that the parents would come back and unfortunately they didn't so we moved off.
We then came across this Imm. Martial feeding on something....

After that we had a very bad drive and from there until we got back to camp I did not take one :cam: !!! :big_eyes: In the afternoon we went out and found some life (and some dying life :( ) on the low-level bridge

This hippo must have been attacked by another ... shame!!! :cry:

And then we also came across this ellie who had been getting very angry with us..... as you can see

I thought this was quite a cool :cam: of the bee-eater...

And then lastly just as we were about to go back to camp a car stopped next to us and told us that there were 2 hare's on either side of the road which my mom and I have never seen before!! :thumbs_up:

Once we got back to camp we confirmed our Night Drive (the 6th) and went back to camp to get a nice warm fire started ..... I say warm because it was freezing and we needed warmth (just forget about the cooking!! 8) :lol:)

KRUGER in 3 days!!!!!

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:08 pm 

Hi guys...... so sorry that I took so long to reply but with school exams I have not had any time to post the next episode!! :roll:

Pumbaa and GlenD - Thanks so much for the compliments..... I really appreciate them!!

Cheetah2111 - If all lions are born on the S100 then why do you never see them when they are all grown up!!??? :tongue: :lol:

Magic Guarri - Glad to see that you are back on board and on the S100 you only see lion cubs!

Tawny - They were extremely cute.... I just wanted to go and pick them up and take them home with me!! :thumbs_up: :mrgreen:

Meandering Mouse - We actually got quite alot of :cam: of bee-eaters..... and they stayed there for a while!!! :hmz:

Flying Cheetah - The ellie insisted that we were blocking his path to cross the bridge and he got angry when we broke the news to him....... he can't cross the bridge because it is too high!! :lol:

Anne-marie - I think we all have pain for him/her!! :cry:

Day 5...... today was another day when we had a succesful morning and a bad afternoon!! :naughty:

We first saw this reedbuck which my mom and I had never seen before!! :dance:

Some giraffe....

More wise looking waterbuck.... do they all look like that!!?? :lol:

Then, as we came up to Mazithi Dam there was some action...... a huge herd of buffs were coming down to drink!! They were splashing in the water and making the half side of the dam that they were in compltely dirty and the other half was sparkling clean!!!

A rhino then, just out of the blue came down to drink.... 2 of the big 5 at 1 waterhole!! :dance:

But there was still more that we saw at Mazithi...... :popcorn: :popcorn:

KRUGER in 3 days!!!!!

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:13 am 

Hi......

Crested Barbet, Billyf and Noel - Thanks for the compliments......... glad to see you like my :cam: !!! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Mom - Those weren't the only :cam: you deleted!! :tongue:

GlenD and Flying Cheetah - They were everywhere!!!! :big_eyes:

Hilda - Thanks I have been studying my ........ off!!! :lol:

Meandering Mouse - He was just lying there very peacefully and hardly worried about us!! 8)

Cheetah - Read on! :wink:

Pumbaa - We were very lucky with the rare antelope, and the buffs in the water were great to watch! :thumbs_up:

After we were about to leave Mazithi we saw a big elephant herd crossing the road up ahead so sped to them (my grandpa.... :roll: :tongue: )!!

These ones were having a fight!!

A very nice looking kudu then came down to drink......

We then moved off and found these ostrich with 19 chicks...... so cute!!!!! :big_eyes:

And now, what I have been wanting to tell you about...... the rest of the day was bad with no animals...... thank goodness for our night drive that night!!!! :dance:

We did not think it would be too cold on the night drive..... but we were wrong!!!! I only brought one pair of jeans and since it was quite a chilli night I wore 3 shirts over each other and a jersey!! :redface:

We left at 8:00am and almost immediately we saw an african wild cat (I did not take any pics on the drive and my mom only took a couple which weren’t very good! :( ) The AWC ran up a tree and was gone!!!

We then also, almost immediately saw a large-spotted genet!!! :dance:

And then a very rare thing.......a white-tailed mongoose!!!!!

We then saw another AWC and another and another!!! :big_eyes:

After that we saw another white-tailed mongoose!!

After that we saw some giraffe and other game but as soon as we were getting closer to camp......a civet!!! :big_eyes: :dance:

And our last sighting...... 2 male lions hunting!!! We did not see what but the guide told us that, so who knows..... :whistle:

KRUGER in 3 days!!!!!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]