Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Rinkhals Spitting Cobra in my car....
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:40 pm 

A few months ago I reported on a black mamba attack on Sweni Road. Yesterday on an airfield a Rinkhals Spitting Cobra of about 1m length sailed into the back suspention of my car. Some stupid bloke wanted to catch the snake to show to his wife, it got frightened and it fled to the righthand rear wheel of my car and sailed up the suspention to on top of the fueltank to escape. Nothing we tried could get the snake to move out again,and believe me we tried everything. In the end I decided to leave my car in the veld because it is the most humane way to get rid of the snake. I hope you all will cross your fingers that the snake will be gone when I go and fetch my car on Monday. Just like my experience with the black mamba, this experience was a life enriching experience.

Post subject: Re: Rinkhals Spitting Cobra in my car....
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:09 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
:shock:
I would stay beside my car... to be sure the snake go out :wink:
oups... poor snake :lol:

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:15 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Wildtom wrote:
I decided to leave my car in the veld because it is the most humane way to get rid of the snake.

I think I would have probably done the same as Anne-Marie but I think your humane approach is great. Thanks for sharing your adventures concerning snakes with us Wildtom :thumbs_up:.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:47 pm 

Today I went to fetch my car and I am happy to report that the snake took the road.I am happy and the snake is happy. A win-win situation for both of us. It was such a beautiful black healthy adult snake.I can also tell you that the impression I got was that the old rascal is not stupid.It knows what it is doing.I wondered if the snake also had two sleepless nights like me. The lesson I learned is: Dont mess with a snake when you are near any vehicles.In any case I will never mess with anything in nature. The snake will for sure go and hide in the safety of the nearest vehicle.Once in your vehicle the snake will not leave the safety of your vehicle if you stay in the near vicinity of the vehicle. It senses your prescence and will stay put untill it feels safe to depart on its own. The more you fiddle with the snake trying to flush it out, the more unsuccesful you will be. Rather go away and hope for the best.....it worked in my case. Tonight I will be able to sleep like a log :D

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:04 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
it senses... I'm not sure...
but detect the vibration... of a presence... sure :wink:

and if they are two in the car now... :lol:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]