Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 3
 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: WendyA Questioning my “Confirmation” …???!!! September 2011
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:12 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Non Predator (2013)
On 01 April I set off for another 3 weeks of camping in the Kruger. 5 nights at Skukuza, 6 nights at Satara, 5 nights at Maroela and 5 nights at Crocodile Bridge were booked and I couldn’t wait; after my last experience back in October last year, I was the new Confirmed Kruger Camper, right? WRONG!

I entered Kruger at Phabeni Gate and slowly made my way along the S1. My first sighting was … yes, impala! I also saw a green backed heron and a hammerkop, and had stopped to admire a couple of giraffe when I remembered that I hadn’t attached my Yellow Ribbon to my wing mirror. I scrummaged around in the back of the car and found my supply of YRs. Yellow Ribbon attached, I continued on my way. I stopped at Nyamundwa to see what was happening there.

I arrived at Skukuza around 4pm. I added zebra, brown snake eagle, elephants, warties, wildebeest and a leopard tortoise to my sightings list that day. On arrival at Skukuza I had my very first ever sighting of …

I checked in then made my way to the camping site where I found a nice level grassy spot. I was just putting my ground sheet down when this guy from an adjacent site came over and told me that I’d be better on the site next door as it had shade.

I had a gazebo … wouldn’t that give me enough shade? Then again, I’m really not a Confirmed Kruger Camper at all, what do I know about camping sites? So, I took his advice, moved my car then just dragged the ground sheet over.

He came over and offered to help which was nice, and in no time, my tent was all set up for me. As he was putting my tent up, I noticed this awful smell but felt that I couldn’t say I wanted to move back to the site I’d previously chosen … the non-smelly one with no shade. Thank goodness I didn’t say anything about moving; after he’d put my tent up and I was helping put the fly sheet on, I discovered the cause of the awful smell - there was a big squished bug on my tent. I’ve no idea what a stink bug looks or smells like but I’m pretty sure the squished corpse on my tent was a stink bug … the smell, I can’t tell you how awful it was. I got the corpse off and scrubbed the area where it was with Sunlight and bleach but do you think I could get rid of the smell? My tent reeked for about a week!

So, my smelly tent was up and I was under a tree which would give me plenty of shade so I decided I didn’t really need my gazebo. I got all my other bits out of the car and would have loved nothing more than to put an icy Savanna in the cool box and head out to Lake Panic for a sundowner but no, gone are those days. It was really hot and the thought of an icy Savanna won over the thought of seeing what was going on at Lake Panic so I just stayed in camp.

Post subject: Re: Questioning my “Confirmation” …???!!!
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:53 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
DAY 2 – 02 April 2011 Skukuza

My neighbours had told me that the camp gates actually open at 5.30am but that the world and his wife would be there queuing, eager to be the first into the park. It was still really dark at 5.30am anyway, so it was just after 6am when I left camp.

I’d heard all about “Penny’s Leopard” from my neighbours – the one she told me about when we met in October. Apparently it was still around and was being seen every day around the junction with the S1 and the H11 so I decided I’d head that way. I slowly drove to the junction with the H11 and sat there for a while; I drove a couple of kms down the H11 and back … nothing. Oh well, maybe another day …

I headed back towards Skukuza and down the H1-1 where I had my first sighting for the day …

Actually, there were loads of these giant snails in the park this time. Shortly afterwards, a hyena appeared out of the thick bush at the side of the road, crossed over and disappeared again within a few seconds.

There were lots of helmeted guineafowl around with their youngsters who I think look so funny …

… lots of baby francolins around too …

I also saw dwarf mongooses with their young ones who were so small they looked like little mice – they were so quick though I couldn’t get a photo.

At the junction with the S112 there was a bakkie stopped. Hmmm … what could it be? Next thing I saw them – my worst nightmare … baboons were ALL OVER this bakkie. The occupants were just sitting there enjoying their morning coffee and rusks, laughing at the baboons’ antics … I drove past praying that the baboons would stay well away from me and thank goodness they did.

I took the S112 and S21 and added elephant, Whalberg’s eagle, impala, kudu, wildebeest, waterbuck, tree squirrel, giraffe and leopard tortoise to my sightings list for that day.

At the H4-1 I headed towards Sunset Dam where there were the usual hippos wallowing, a family of warthogs having a drink, grey heron, a couple of crocs and a couple of Marabou storks.

After a quick stop at Lower Sabie, I continued on my way. I drove over the bridge – all was quiet, there was nothing around. I took the H10 to Tshokwane; a few more ellies and giraffe were around. I added vervets to my sightings list, and also came across a huge herd of buffalo.

From the viewpoint at Nkumbe I spotted a large herd of zebra in the distance. After a quick stop at Tshokwane, I took the H1-2 towards Skukuza. Siloweni was still closed – if I remember correctly I think there was a sign saying it is going to remain closed. At Leeupan there were a couple of impala herds having a drink; at Olifants, there was a solitary giraffe. Of course I stopped at the point in the road where last year I watched 2 huge herds of sable drinking at Mantimahle dam … I couldn’t believe the difference, you could hardly see the dam because the bush was so thick!

I took the H12 over the Sabie River and the H4-1 back to Skukuza. The last sighting for the day was bushbuck!

I got back to camp and wouldn’t you know it … my neighbours had seen leopard on the road practically right outside the camp at 5.30am and they’d seen “Penny’s Leopard” by the turn off to Paul Kruger Gate shortly afterwards! That was it, I was joining the masses at 5.30am the following morning!

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:37 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
DAY 3 – 03 April 2011 Skukuza

… maybe the gates open even earlier than 5.30am cause when I got there at 5.30am they were already open and there were no cars around! I slowly drove along looking for eyes in the bush … it was SO dark! I got to the turn off for Lake Panic and was thinking about going there to watch the sunrise as I remember talking to either JenB or Mellory at the Reitvlei meet last year and they told me it was something really special. I had another 3 mornings at Skukuza though so decided to carry on towards Paul Kruger Gate looking for “Penny’s Leopard”. Once again, however, it eluded me!

I saw ellies, hyena and impala on the H11, then continued on the S1 for 4kms to the S65. It was difficult spotting animals in the lush, overgrown bush but these few zebra decided to make themselves visible by walking in the road!

The S65 was quiet that morning, I spotted a few kudu and a beautiful woodland kingfisher.

I decided to go to Transport Dam and see what was happening there … A green-backed heron; flocks of barn swallows, hippos, Egyptian geese, a couple of crocs, blacksmith plovers, and a few waterbuck with their young - the young waterbuck were so cute and fluffy!

Back to the H11 and the H1-1 towards Skukuza. Warties, wildebeest, dwarf mongoose, giraffe and a leopard tortoise were added to my sightings list for the day.

I then did the H4-1/H12/H1-2 circle – at the H12 river crossing there was a troop of baboons and a solitary Marabou stork. Through the bush on the H1-2 I saw these vultures airing their wings down by the banks of the Sand river…

… then, without having to strain and try and see through the bush, I came across this guy …

By this time it was about 1pm and HOT. An icy savanna and a couple of hours sitting under the shade of “my tree” was in order so it was back to camp.

Late afternoon I did the H4-1/H12/H1-2 circle again – lions had been seen there that morning. The baboons were still by the H12 river crossing. I also spotted terrapins, a goshawk, a slender mongoose, a steenbok and a bateleur sitting by the bank of the Sabie River. No lions were about though …

It was still REALLY hot and very muggy as well – we were definitely in for a storm.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:23 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
DAY 4 – 04 April 2011 Skukuza

The heavens opened during the night and it absolutely poured down. Once the storm was over I lay there wide awake as the rain dripped from “my shade tree” onto my tent – it was like Chinese torture! I repeated my mantra over and over again … “Camping is FUN, Camping is FUN …” I was unconvinced though.

I wasn’t rushing to be at the gate early that morning … I’d been awake half the night. I climbed out of my tent around 6.30am and couldn’t believe the drop in temperature … it had been so hot the past couple of days. Everything was wet and muddy, there were puddles everywhere – shade tree or no shade tree, my gazebo was definitely going up later that day!

It was grey and overcast – not my favourite, but maybe a good day for animal spotting …

I decided I’d head north today and took the H1-2 to Tshokwane. There definitely seemed to be more game around today … kudu, hyena, crocs, hippo, zebra, impala, baboons, white backed vultures, vervet monkeys, woodland kingfishers, dwarf mongooses, giant snails, 2 rhino, elephant, and African grey hornbills. I don’t remember seeing many grey hornbill in the park before but they were quite a usual sighting this time …

I also came across this snake making its way across the road.

At Leeupan my Yellow Ribbon was spotted by David2010. He and his family were on their way south from Satara.

I continued on my way to Tshokwane. There were a few people sitting eating wors rolls, etc, under the lapa, but no-one was braaing their own breakfast that morning so there didn’t appear to be any monkeys around … I had my mug of coffee and decided to wander around, having been sat in the car for a few hours.

Next thing the tree above me started shaking … three pesky vervets were there. I continued to walk on but two of them came after me while the third one stayed in the tree, jeering them on! One of them jumped on to my back and the other grabbed my leg. Well, I was SCREAMING my head off and must have looked like a break-dancer having an epileptic fit the way I was trying to shake the little critters off of me!

Two of the staff came rushing over waving broomsticks and shouting which finally scared the monkeys off. I was left with a cut on my leg and a puncture wound on my hip – luckily, my rabies and tetanus are up to date and so far I haven’t had any strange side effects …

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:26 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
I decided to forego the leg stretch at Tshokwane and just continued on my way in the car! I continued north on the H1-3 and added bushbuck, tree squirrels, wildebeest and giraffe onto my sightings list for the day. I couldn’t believe the difference at Mazithi waterhole from what it looked like in October … so green and lush in comparison.

What it looked like now …

What it looked like in October last year …

I took the S33, Vutomi Road and on turning one corner came across …

Luckily he kept walking forward and I followed from a distance. After a while he wandered into the bush at the side of the road for breakfast …

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:31 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Around another corner I came across …

A short distance further on and something a little smaller …

I also came across this poor leopard tortoise who looks as if he’d been attacked by a ground hornbill …

… and this little baby leopard tortoise …

At Vutomi there were some waterbuck with their gorgeous fluffy youngsters …

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:32 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
I continued onto the S36 and stopped at Jones se Dam where there were more waterbuck and a Wahlberg’s eagle, then returned to Skukuza via the H12 and H4-1 where I had this sighting at the main crossroads (H4-1/H1-1/H11) …

They were locals as well … c’mon guys, you should know better.

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:51 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
DAY 5 – 05 April 2011 Skukuza

It rained again last night but with my gazebo over my tent, I didn’t have quite as bad a night as I’d had the night before. I was up and out of camp at 5.30am this morning and decided to take the H1-1. Lots of elephant were around that morning; I also saw kudu, impala and giraffe before turning on to the S65 north where I saw a puff adder …

I continued on the S65 but it was very quiet. I stopped to check out a white headed vulture through the binoculars and took a couple of photos.

About to move on I happened to look in my rear view mirror and saw that definite outline just standing there in the middle of the road about 30 metres behind me.

As I was reversing, it disappeared back into the bush. I reversed to where I’m sure it was standing and waited, staring into the tall grass, willing it to come out.

Then I saw it …

He came right out of the grass and walked along the side of the road for a short distance before crossing over

Next thing, he was joined by his brother!

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:54 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
They walked off into the long grass …

… and spent some time scanning the area for anything that looked remotely like breakfast …

… before walking further into the long grass and disappearing out of site. WOW! Amazing – that really made my morning (normally I would have said it made my day but I had more GREAT sightings that afternoon!)

I continued north on the S65 but apart from lots of vultures, I couldn’t see anything - On a night drive the night before, people had been lucky enough to witness a lion kill at N’waswitshaka – no doubt that was why the vultures were around …

I headed west on the S1 then took the S4 to Paul Kruger Gate then the H11 back to the S1 again … maybe today I’d see “Penny’s Leopard”. No leopard, but I saw some nice ellies

and even after my monkey attack at Tshokwane yesterday, couldn’t help but find these vervets cute …

I was rather pleased at finding these 3 different big birds of prey sitting close together …

I headed back onto the S65. The cheetah were long gone but the puff adder was still about …

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:58 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
From the S65 I headed south then east on the S112/S21. The bush was very thick so apart from the dwarf mongooses at the side of the road, the tree squirrels and a leopard tortoise, I didn’t see anything for some time.

On the H4-1 I headed south towards Lower Sabie. I found this little chap making his way across the road …

I also saw a couple of ground hornbill, then spotted a rhino feeding in the bush at the side of the road. I’d been in the park 5 days and had only had one sighting of 2 rhino the day before. I stopped for a while; it wasn’t the best view …

… but wait, this guy wasn’t grazing on the grass, he was eating the leaves from the bush …

He even raised his head at one point to get some leaves further up the bush …

It had to be “Blackie”! I waited, hoping he’d turn around but no, he was going to be camera-shy that day - still, I was really chuffed!

At Sunset Dam the resident hippos and crocs were there, joined only by a grey heron at the time. I crossed the bridge at Lower Sabie and added a fish eagle on to my sightings list for the day. The Goliath Heron who usually sits on the right side of the bridge as you are heading north was nowhere to be seen.

I continued on the S128 where I came across a few warties, 3 ground hornbill with a youngster, and some more giraffe in the road

I crossed the Sabie bridge to get back on to the H4-1. When I got to the junction I decided that rather than return to Skukuza, I’d see if there was anything happening on the way to Nkuhlu.

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:05 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
How happy was I that I’d made that decision when I came across these fellows lying about …

There were 7 of them in the pack …

I must have driven along the road with them for at least 5 kms – what a treat!

Yes, that is a discarded water bottle the third one from the left has picked up …

The rest of the pack did their best to also find discarded bottles …

This makes me so angry – why do people throw their cr@p out of the car???

At one point something caught their attention …

but I guess that maybe they also had trouble seeing into the dense bush as they were soon back on the road again!

I got to Nkuhlu and the doggies were still walking with me. It was after 5pm so, as much as I hated to leave them, I had to turn around to make my way back to Skukuza. What an unforgettable sighting though!

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:03 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Flutterby – It was a great day! When I reversed to where the I thought I’d seen the cheetah, another car pulled up, (neighbours from Skukuza). They’d seen the cheetah from the direction they were approaching. We had the best of the sighting to ourselves; a couple of cars appeared once the cheetahs had pretty much disappeared into the long grass. As I was leaving, about 3 Jeep Jockeys arrived, all on walkie talkies to their mates; no doubt the place was heaving shortly afterwards. There were a couple of other cars who pulled up to Blackie, but no-one really stayed very long … I mean, how attractive is the back side of a rhino! I stayed on hoping he’d turn around but he soon wandered off. Again, I was on my own when I came across the dogs but after about 5 mins there was quite a queue of cars behind me. We all took it in turns to take photos then drive forward again and again so everyone got a good look and some good shots – it was awesome that they were heading in the same direction that I was driving.

Katja – Yes, I am in a hurry … I should have started this TR ages ago! There were so many little chameleons in the park in April. Every time I came across one making its way across the road, I’d sit there waiting for it to get to the other side to make sure it didn’t get run over!

Puppy – Thanks for joining me! I was a bit worried about the whole camping thing on my own when I tried it out for the first time last year, but I had so much fun I didn’t think twice about doing it again. I wasn’t going to let the pesky vervets give up my tent …. the rain maybe, but not the animals!

Steamtrainfan – Thanks for joining me! Yes, that day was just spectacular as far as sightings go! Thanks for your kind comments about my photos too. Next episode coming up …

Cheetah2111 – Ha - I knew you’d like the cheetah photos! Strange about not getting my PM – I will check now.

Bushcraft – Yes it really was an awesome day, probably one of the best that trip!

Elsa – Hi Elsa! Thanks for joining me! Yep, a REALLY successful day’s sightings! AAARRRGGGHHH – it makes me so mad seeing so much litter in the park. :evil:

Crested Val – sorry you’ve had a “cheetah drought” since 2009. As we all know and say to each other all the time, “it’s about being in the right place at the right time”. I guess I was in the right place at the right time as far as cheetahs went this trip, I had quite a few sightings!

Rino – Thanks for joining me! I used to be quite nervous of buffalo but for some reason they don’t spook me anymore. I know how mean they can be, but they just LOOK so docile! Give me a buffalo any day as opposed to a vervet monkey or a baboon!

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:10 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
DAY 6 – 06 April 2011 Skukuza - Satara

I was heading north today but decided to do an early morning drive first. I headed to Lake Panic – with all the rain there’d been, I doubted there was going to be a spectacular sunrise. What I hadn’t imagined though was that apart from a few hippos there would be absolutely nothing about. Ok, I only sat there for about 10 minutes as it was really cold, but I didn’t even see one bird during that time – very strange!

I did the H4-1, H12, H1-2 circle that morning. At the Sabie river crossing I spotted a croc and a terrapin. There were also a few Marabou storks in one of the trees …

The only other sightings I had that morning were impala and baboons. It was very weird …

I got back to Skukuza and packed up. Everything was damp … was camping really for me???

I departed Skukuza and took the H1-2 north. I came across some warties, vervets, giraffe, ellies, and a Burchall’s Coucal.

At Tshokwane, cautiously (and armed with my “zapper”) I got out of my car and made my way over to the lapa – no way was I going any further! I had a coffee and a boerewors roll then continued on my way.

Just north of Tshokwane there was a traffic jam … apparently someone had seen a cheetah; all I could see were prime examples of homo stupidus …

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:13 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Further on there was a nice herd of zebra and wildebeest, then I came across this little steenbok who appears to have broken one of his horns …

At Mazithi there were a few waterbuck, a grey heron, and a hammerkop.

At the turning towards the Boabab tree there were these gorgeous waterbuck …

I continued along the path to the Boabab tree … would “Barrie and Kate’s leopard” be about???

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:14 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
No leopard about but there was a big herd of buffalo standing around grazing in the grass beside the tree!

Back on to the main road where I saw a Kori Bustard

… then further along … finally … a kill!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next