Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 4 of 5
 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: From being a bushwoman to Kruger with a few B's?
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:56 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Flutterby....even more lions to come to make you even more :mrgreen: :mrgreen: think I need to give you a bit of a "preview".... :roll: :lol: just to entice you to turn this page!! :D

This old man coming out of the bush, marking his territory???

and the other 2 getting up, growling, grunting and making the most awesome sound :D :D

Im not giving away more than this.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:39 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

September 22....continued....

I said my goodbyes to Norms and had to get going....I was in 2 minds about which way to go....either H10 or straight down towards Skukuza and then meet up with Elloff street....I decided to go straight down towards Skukuza....

Not far from the H10 junction...2 cars parked on the side of the road...they told me that lions are far away into the bush on a Giraffe kill.....I looked and then one female got up.....after the lions sighting of earlier on...I was not really interested...so I carried on...not even 1km from there.....another 3 cars...I could not see anything....only a tree and grass and bush...a normal sighting in Kruger. :D I drove up to the one car and they told me a leopard just took down an Impala...the impala was lying next to the tree and the leopard dissapeared behind the bush. I waited and was rewarded with the very young leopard coming out from behind the bush and lay down next to the tree with the "kill" on the other side

I waited a long time, but he/she was not interested in moving...I could just imagine getting pics of a leopard taking a kill up the tree...something I dont have yet...but it was not to be....he/she just lay there....

With no more time it was time for me to move on....not much else until I got to a major traffic jam about 5km from LSabie.....now I was told there is a leopard in a tree....with already seeing a leopard I just wanted to get a pic for this TR before I got the .......out of there.....I dont know why ppl would go crazy like this at a sighting where you can hardly see the leopard......but then...who knows...maybe they have never seen a leopard in the wild :D Not the best pic I ever took of a leopard in a tree....but here it is

And with that I left to meet up with my great frineds VVSG and SO and lsabie and we (click click, aunty Dot and I had one of those magic new bungalows with a riverview) :D Some of the best accommodation in Lower Sabie excluding the river view tents :D

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:17 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

September 23, 2011 - Lower Sabie

We had a lovely evening with a very nice braai and then it was bedtime...I had no plans for the next morning as we were going to be at LSabie for the next 4 days. A long drive from Satara to LSabie and I decided to sleep late and just enjoy the view from the verandah of our lovely bungalow.

click click was as usual up at dawn and on the road, but aunty Dot was doing her own thing and I slept until I woke up....think it was close to 7am :redface:

VVSG and SO also went for a drive and returned just before lunch time and invited me to lunch on the deck :D We still had a lot of food left, but I decided to go with them and must say...apart from the company that was great.....there is a lot of improvement needed at the restaurant...sub standard food, long waiting and ppl who seem not to be enjoying their jobs just makes for a disaster. VVSG did call the manager and gave him feedback on his thoughts...me fuming as usual. I just dont have that "cool approach attitude" :?

We returned to the bungalow and just chilled under the big old trees looking over the river.....then....VVSG got the shock of his life..I brought out one of my B's....My nail bag...he just looked at me....What????? Well it was time to pamper myself a bit and file, groom and paint my nails :D :D

Another great night with VVSG and SO, John and Norma, click click, aunty Dot and click clicks parents, what more can you ask for :D ....

We agreed to go to Mlondozi for breakfast the next morning and all would go their own ways. Leave when it suits them and we would meet up at 10:30 for a breakfast prepared by both VVSG and John as both wanted to impress the ladies with their specialities :D

Little did I know that my day in camp prepared me for a great sighting or two the next day :D

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:56 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

September 24, 2011

I was up bright and early deciding which way to go....so I decided to go Salitje road...S128 then onto the S29 to get to Mlondozi.....

Nothing insight apart from some vultures roosting in a tree....no other cars around...just me...and Kruger :D All of a sudden a movement caught my eye...I could not believe it....a Cheetah not far from the road on a dirt mound...and only me!!!

I took a few pics just incase it moved off...but then realized it was there to stay and to give me a show :D It was lying there...looking at me...then turned around rolling in the sand....and then look at me again :D

Then roll around again.....

Gave a yawn.....(and by this time 2 other cars arrived!!) I had just over an hour with this Cheetah by myself....unheard of in the South of Kruger :roll: according to some ppl who believe you cant go to the South and enjoy peace and quiet with a cat :shock:

it gave a stretch and then just wondered off.....not to be seen again...if I did not know a cheetah was there, I would have not known...

Elated with my sighting of this Cheetah I carried on as I thought I already spent too much time with one sighting and might be late for breakfast :( then about 4 or 5 km further...3 lions far away stalking Zebra.....I tried to see and get pics for you, but although I have some...its not worth showing...but I enjoyed the thrill of watching them through the binocs and see how they tried to corner the Zebra....it was great....A Cheetah sighting, now lions stalking Zebra......it was time to go :cry:

I got a BBM message about 5 cheetah on a kill on the S29, 2km from the Mlondozi loop.....but could not go there as I was way too late already...as I got to the tar road, H10, a car came from the left and I spoke to them about sightings, telling them about the Cheetah I spent an hour with......shame......they have not seen Cheetah after 10 days in Kruger and I told them about the BBM message and I hoped that they would find or at least see a Cheetah..in turn they told me about 500m to the left on the H10 are a few lions....just lying there....so I decided to go and have a look.....

I was so gratefull when I got there to see Norma and John, so I was not late after all....then click click came.......it was time to move on to get breakfast as a cooler box with coffee makes you very hungry..and watching sleeping lions instead of eating that magnificent breakfast....to me there is no comparison :D

We found a table as Mlondozi was as usual very busy.....at last we were all there!!!! VVSG started his bacon or must I say, our bacon...the sausages etc.....then a woman arrived asking for an Afrikaans woman by the name of Annette who drives a Freelander....she said a friend, who is a guide has car trouble and ask for you to come and get her......unbeknown to me, Moose met VVSG and SO at LSabie and told her that we, click click, aunty Dot, Norma and John etc were going to Mlondozi for breakfast....how fortunate that they met her.....the JJ vehiccle broke down and at least she knew we were there and could ask someone to come and look for help.......That is how I met Moose......and Im so glad I did......

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:22 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

So while click click and I went to rescue Moose and her guests...the breakfast was cooking and John had started his famous fried bread....unfortunately we did not get it straight of the skottel as we had other things to do......Moose sent 2 of her guests with some other visitors and when we arrived it was only her and One Hero....there to protect her.....

We got out of the slug and loaded the few things that she had in the JJ vehicle and in no time it was Moose with 1 guest, click click and me on our way back to Mlondozi....A very nice guy...think he was from Germany or the Netherlands....cant remember....but he did enjoy a very cold Hansa as reward for his bravery in looking or staying with Moose :D :D

We arrived back and Moose was reunited with her guests and started making them a breakfast, which I must say, looked very uninviting :( but we had the privilidge of eating what was kept warm for us on the skottels.....bacon, suasage, fried bread and then VVSG did our eggs to my liking....all white cut off, I like the yolk but do not enjoy the white of the egg....and I like it medium....soft, but not runny....what a marvelous job he did again...Thank you VVSG and John for again an awesome breakfast!! :D

With that done, we decided to go back to the sleeping lions, but first I had to talk to Moose who was in a sad mood as she could not renew her work permit and had to leave S.A in the next few days....as I was going to be at CBridge in a safari tent by myself...I invited her to come and stay with me and Norma and John was going to be in their caravan......so the more the merrier...again :D :D

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:31 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

We arrived at what was now not so much sleeping lions.....2 males lying next to a bush and a few females further down...on the other side of the road....Zebras, Wilde beest and Impala.....now it was time to decide where the best spot was....just incase they (the lions decided to chase and make a kill) :D

I stopped opposite the males....click click down the bottom watching the females...VVSG and SO somewhere inbetween and Norma and John down the middle somewhere :D

We waited a long time....Norma and John came and said they are getting on.....going back to camp and unbeknown to me...they had aunty Dot in the car as John said he was going back to camp..(he said he showed the women the map and they agreed with him).......they thought it was the shortest way back....but....it was all the way up the H10 and down to Skukuza and then down to Lsabie again....think they all need glasses or lessons on how to read a map....poor aunty Dot was finished, never mind Normas back :cry: :evil: :shock: John, if you read this....you are a wicked old man!!!!! Taking the woman for a ride that should have been 30 minutes...lasted 5 hours!!!!!

Anyway.....we waited...hoping to see some action. A german man came from the front and asked me if it was worth waiting to see if anything would happen.....I told him....This is Kruger...you never know if they would make a chase, a kill or what would happen..... :D Little did I know what we were about to witness :D :D

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:39 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

As I was sitting there....and posted these pics 2 days ago......the 2 males next to the bush sat up straight....looked away from the Zebra, wildebeest and Impala...they had something else on their minds.....An Intruder...or was it????

He came from nowhere..just all of a sudden he was there.....looked at the 2 of them and marked his territory....now, please have a look at his tail...its got a "kink" in it.....it will play a role in these pics....

From here on Im not exactly sure what happened.....it was lion ontop of lion.....screaming, growling and just dust flying.....

In the end, after looking at these pics...it seemed to me that one of the young ones was not supposed to be there anymore...and the one with the crooked tail was left with another young one and that was it!!!!

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:43 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I know these pics are not reward winning in focus, but it tells a story....a Story I will forever remember....One of my best sightings in Kruger :D

One of the younger ones gave chase.....

and then it was lion ontop of lion....

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:47 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

They fought furiously......it was amazing...

the sound was deafening......and then...

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:51 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The female decided she was the one to decide who wins the fight :D :D

Was she talking to him or just giving him a lesson in listening to your wife??

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:54 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Is he listening....with this I think he did......

Now I think I have exhuasted the allowance of pics to be posted on one page....hope you enjoyed....and I look forward to showing you who won@!!!! :D :D

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:39 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Here are the last 2 pics in this series....you will c that the "kinky tail" one and one of the young ones were left after chasing the other young one off.....I have no idea why??

I think if you look at the pic...the dust flying and the way the lions manes are blown back...it gives you an idea of the action, the speed of what was happening....Wish I had a 7D to take video of this....the sounds were amazing!!! :D

We returned to camp and I was in 7th heaven with my sighting, but also sad that VVSG and SO were leaving the next morning and click click was having her last full day on the Sunday...I was still to stay in Kruger for another 4 days...and then....the girls were arriving....so I had another 10 days in Kruger until I had to return to Doha..

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:33 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thank you to DaleneD, Norms, Cheetah2111, Hilda and the Chappies for the comments and compliments :D

It was indeed a sighting that I will remember for a long time! :D

Sunday, September 25, 2011
VVSG and SO left early the next morning, I had a cup of tea under the awning of the caravan with Norma and John and then went for a drive up to the Skukuza highwater bridge and down the Salitje road back to LSabie.

As a Sunday the roads were very busy with lots of day visitors. Just before Sunset dam I saw another YR...it was Ralph and Lenny :D Nice meeting you too.

Sightings were very slow and I decided to turn onto the Nyamarhi loop, just maybe.....but it was not to be.

I only found this Impala who enjoyed a very nice ear scratch :D

Not long after returning to the tar road a huge traffic jam....It could only be a cat or cats causing this.

Deep into the bush I got a glimpse of a male lion...he then got up..smelled the bush, marked his territory and moved a bit into the open for this pic.

and soon afterwards....another one...

and then a female....walking towards the trees..

They all joined a few others and a cub and lay down to once again sleep :D

It took me another 30 minutes to get out of the traffic jam :evil: and continued up the road. Somewhere along the line here you can see the Salitje road from the LSabie/Skukuza road I got a sighting of a different nature....IDIOTS :evil:

Unforunately it was too far away to see the registration number, and no cell signal to report them :cry:

Apart from the general game of Giraffes, Kudu, Impala, Warthogs etc....nothing....

A quick stop on the low water bridge, where the only living thing I could see, was this very grumpy Goliath Heron.

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:29 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Monday, September 26, 2011

LSabie to CBridge

I said my goodbyes to click click and aunty Dot as they were leaving back to Pretoria. click click thanks for the awesome time we spent together in Kruger and I look forward to our next one in October 2012 :D

I had a quick cup of tea under the awning with Norma and John as somehow I messed up my booking and the next day :shock: We asked at reception if they could move to CBridge that Monday, but was told it was fully booked....so...I was going to be alone for the first time in 4 weeks :D

I decided to drive straight down the tar road to CBridge and just relax at camp when I got there :D

Just after the low water bridge this Little Sparrowhawk was sitting on the side of the road, it had no problem with me stopping next to it to take a few pics :D

Just before the Gomondwane road a big herd of Elephants on both sides of the road...I did not take any pics of them, but only these ppl posing for pics with elephants ... :evil:

The rest of the way just the normal game.....and I reached CBridge where I booked in to my pre-ordered tent no. 8 :D I took a bit of time offloading the slug and getting organized and then.........as I was thinking about lunch.....I realized that in all the weeks I have been in Kruger so far we had been staying in either bungalows/guest houses etc....and apart from my Kruger mug and a spoon in my sugar container, I had nothing else....no plate knife fork or anything?? :redface: :redface: as I had invited Moose to come I felt very stupid....so much for my pm relaxing in camp...it was time to drive to Komatipoort to buy some!!

I went to the Spar and started getting all together, a set of steak knifes and forks, plates, spoons a flask etc etc...it looked liked I was furnishing a kitchen by the time I was finished :redface: :lol:

I then thought about buying some food to feed Moose....nice steaks, lambchops, etc.....then a voice said...Hello!! It was Moose! I told her why I was there and she told me she only uses a little contraption which is a fork and spoon combined??? and wait for it!!!!! She is a vegetarian :shock: :shock: I had never cooked for a vegetarian in Kruger before, so I started adding vegs to my trolley as well!! Moose told me she usually eat rusks when she is in Kruger...Rusks for breakfast, lunch and supper? :shock: She also told me that her boss said that she could come that day already...so she was going to be there for 3 nights... :D

I returned to camp and found campers with one of those offroad caravans set up camp right next to my tent...thier guide ropes were pegged almost under my deck?? :( and then another shock...the tent to the left that is cordoned off, seems to be used as staff accommodationn :( A lot of noise and a little boy on his black scooter zooting up and down...definately not a peacefull place to be.....

With all this I started planning supper...the fire was going and Moose was going to have a 5* vegetarian meal cooked on the fire :D

A friend of hers was also camping at CBridge (a photographer, sorry cant remember his name) and he came for the braai as well....Lambchops, chicken, potatoes and onions in foil, corn on the cob and butternut in foil!! Moose said it was her first nice meal in all the time she has been coming to Kruger :D

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:41 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Really sorry to have kept you waiting for so long!! I had a hectic week with lots of work as all the Sheikhs are in town and alot of other things on my mind :redface: :evil:

Thank you for the comments, Hilda, click click and angiek.....Elsa thanks for the correction of the Juv. Gabar Goshawk... :D

Dan...sorry....as said before...Im not a writer...so no book!

Let me get on with this part of the report.

Tuesday and Wednesday - September 27 & 28, 2011

Norma and John were coming down from LSabie with their caravan and I really wanted to be in camp when they arrived so that I could help with the setting up...(just for the sake of memories :D and for a change to be the supervisor instead of being supervised :D

I took a quick drive up the tar road, around Gomondwane loop and then back to camp.

Sightings once again, very slow....the usual elephant, kudu, zebra and Impala...and then I found 2 Tawny Eagles sitting in a tree...it was nice to have them in the open and nice light....so I snapped away.. :D

On the Gomondwane loop I found a Juv Bateleur and a Tawny Eagle eating something on the ground...could not see what it was, but I know...you see those together, something has been around....something has made a kill :D The next minute the adult Bateleur came diving down to claim his share of whatever it was...

By now I had to get a move on so that I could make it back in time to help with the campsite.....but when I got back, the caravan was in place, the awning was up and only a few pegs were left to be hammered in :) I looked at where John parked, how he positioned the van and only made one comment......Looks like you llike the sun??? :shock: 8) remember, Im an expert :D John gave an explanation of where the sun was going etc, but I knew better....we relaxed a bit after I had to honor of hammering in a peg :D and then I set off on a bit of birding in camp leaving them to get sorted out with their personal thingies....

Lots of birds in Croc Bridge camp, but so many leaves its difficutl to get clear pics....I did get this Diedericks cuckoo
[/img]http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6107/6431546159_fc60e2262e.jpg[/img]

and a Chinspot Batis

The sun had now moved on....and what did I see? We are not relaxing under the awning of the caravan anymore as it was in full sun....chairs were moved to the back of the caravan under the tree and that is where we spend the rest of the afternoon!! :D

Moose returned with a very nice video of a Cheetah with a cub, seen in exactly the same spot as where I was taking pictures of the birds eating something on the ground :shock: :cry: Was I too concerned with the birds again that I did not look around enough??

We had a nice braai with Norma and John and then it was bedtime. I had invited them to lunch at one of my favorite seafood restaurants in Komatipoort and was going to do a quick drive in the morning before we go to lunch....so needed to get to bed early..

Moose was gone by the time I was ready to go....so I decided to drive up the S28 and back down Gomondwane again...About 8km on the S28 2 cars standing on the side of the road...2 lionesses far off, inbetween the trees, but they were stalking Zebra...so thrilling to see how they sit up, crawl around and closer, then lie down...and the Zebras not aware of anything...You sit there with your finger on the shutter...ready to shoot away when the action starts....these are not good pictures, but I wanted to show them to you...it felt like hours that they were stalking...

and then nothing....I could not see the lions anymore...the Zebra moved off deeper into the bush and I felt dissapointed...was so much hoping that the lions would give chase and chase them right into our direction :? When all of a sudden....Zebras running for their lives....I only got this one pic of the lions chasing...if you look very carefully you can see the lion in the bottom left corner :redface: :redface:

With that I returned to camp and looked forward toour lunch....where I started off with three cheeze prawn....then I had a combination of kingklip with grilled prawns....Yummy....Cant wait to get back their next year for another meal :D

It was during lunch that we decided that we would leave Kruger the next morning and Norma and John would joinn me at My Bush House in Marloth for the next evening. They were leaving the Park on Saturday and I had the girls and monkeys coming so I would be back in Kruger in 2 days time :D :D Norma and John, thank you so much for also spending the time with us in Kruger, you always make us laugh and I value your friendship so much!! Look forward to our Kruger trip next year!!

With this I leave you until I will post again the next and last part of my trip report, which is the 6 days in Kruger with Ihaveacrazymom and husband, and bushbaby and her boyfriend (the monkey :D ) who had only been to Kruger once in his life when he was 2 years old!!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next