Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Caracal-A couple of hours in Addo.....-July 2011
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:46 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Last week I had the opportunity to pop into Addo for a few hours. I entered the park via the Colchester gate and of course it did not take me long to spot the first four legged creature. As much as I was hoping that it would be a lion I had to make do with a …warthog. :D

But I still enjoy watching warthogs. We mostly visit the KTP and there a warthog sighting is quite rare…but as you all know there are many warthogs in Addo. Have you ever wondered why there are so many warthogs in Addo ?????

Well I decided that there are many warthogs because there is far too much kissing that goes on :naughty: …..and you all know what that can lead to……. :wink:

Of course next up on stage were the kudu…many kudu. I guess they get up to too much kissing as well. I mean the Kudu boys are so handsome that I think if I was a Kudu girl I would find it very difficult to resist kissing them…. :D

You have to admit that he is rather handsome !

It seems the ostriches intend keeping their numbers up as well…there was much flirting and flapping of wings evident….

And a squabble or two ….

Well I guess this pretty girl was worth squabbling over !!!!

to be cont...

:) :) :) :) :)

Last edited by Caracal on Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: A couple of hours in Addo.....
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:45 pm 

By now I had a regular pattern of sightings ..warthog, ostrich and then kudu…warthog, ostrich and then kudu !!! :roll:
But where on earth were the elephants. :hmz:
At last ..one lonely elephant having a wonderful time throwing his food over his shoulder.

Hapoor was devoid of all living creatures bar the feathered kind…

Image Cattle Egret.

I continued on my merry way and just before Rooidam I came across many elephants. They were scattered all over the place…some of them were also making their merry way ( very slowly :roll: ) towards Rooidam and in the process causing a huge traffic jam.

Image.

Eventually they moved off the road and the cars were able to pass. I expected to see many elephants at Rooidam but there was only one single elephant enjoying a drink of water.

In between the Common Fiscals and Bokmakieries had been attracting my attention….

By now I had a hunger pang of note so I made my way to the main camp !

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:04 am 

It didn’t take me long to sort out my hunger pang and thereafter I had a quick walk around the camp. There were a couple of ellies at the waterhole

And the aloes revealed what I thought was a Southern Double-collared Sunbird but looking at my photos I now realise that it is in fact a Greater Double-collared Sunbird. :clap:

I was hoping to get to Carol’s Rest but I after doing the maths I realised that I did not have enough time so I decided to back track the way I had come.
I stopped at Domkrag …..and photographed the very busy Hadedas,

And a very inquisitive Karoo Scrub-Robin

And a Karoo Prinia singing his head to anybody that would listen.

I could have sat there much longer ..it was so peaceful and tranquil.
There is something quite special about sitting and overlooking “Africa” with only the birds and kudu for company.

I continued with my meanderings seeing many Herons, Bokmakieries, Common Fiscals , Glossy Starlings, Kudu and of course Piggies.

Thank goodness I had been sensible in leaving Domkrag because just after Rooidam I rounded a bend and had to come to a stop ……

Oh yes …..another Ellie traffic jam….there were ellies to the left of me, ellies to the right of me, ellies blocking the road up front and when I looked behind me there were some ellies that had appeared in the road behind me. I could not go forwards and I could not go backwards…It was a bit of a “oh sh*t !!!!!” moment. :shock: :big_eyes: I was very not very happy with the situation…I do prefer it when I have an escape route.
There was nothing that I could do except sit and wait.
All sorts of headlines went through my mind…..
“ Local Lady travelling solo in Kombi gets trampled to death by over friendly Addo Elephants “
Noooooo..pull yourself together !!! These friendly Addo Elephants have not claimed that headline yet….why should they do it now…to me….I am not that important.
I was worrying so much about my predicament that I forgot to take photos….yes Caracal forgot to take photos :roll: …can you believe that.

The minutes ticked over and the ellies just kept munching. Eventually one huge ellie walked right past the Kombi, stopped and stared at me and then immediately veered off the road. With that the rest of the ellies in the road veered off as well…as if to say “Okay we have frightened her enough let’s leave her be!” Shew...thank you Ellies !!! :clap:
I saw a gap and I took it and as drove off I looked in my rear view mirror …there were plenty of ellies rushing across the road. I did not realise that they were so many ellies in the bushes next to me. I did manage to stop and grab a quick photo of two young ellies stopping for a quick bite to eat

…they were soon ushered on though and I decided that it was in my best interests to get a move on to Hapoor.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:28 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The Addo elephants ignore the visitors mostly, no need to worry :wink:

Lovely birds :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:08 pm 

I continued with my journey towards Hapoor.
There were many kudu around…and really tame.

A couple of piggies were munching away as well..it seems I had missed a mudbath of note..they were totally covered in mud.

And this heron was having a bad hair day !

Oops :slap: I have just realised that I need the page to turn before I can post my last few pics.... :D

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:51 pm 

Thanks Anne-marie... :thumbs_up:

Of course there is always one ellie that likes to show off.

He was making his way to the waterhole when he noticed me….and posed again.

He decided that he no longer needed a drink and decided to investigate the kombi instead…he got closer and closer with far too much attitude. :shock:

Noooooo…not again. :evil: I reversed….well sort of..reversing is not one of my best attributes !!! :whistle:
That kept him happy and he backtracked to the waterhole….

Bully..I thought !!!!

He eventually sauntered off..and of course there was no doubt at all that this was a boy ellie !!!!

I must admit Hapoor was really beautiful with all the water and green grass as well as the reeds. But I knew that if I was to make the gate on time I had to get a move on.

Apart from anything else the light was fading fast as well. I came across another lone elephant…but the ear flapping and trunk flipping sent me on my merry way.

Just before the gate I came across a herd of Zebra…they had taken up the entire road and were in no hurry to vacate it. I inched up to them and one by one they slowly moved slightly out of the road…..one actually snorted at me as I drove past… cheeky thing. :naughty:

Image.

I got to the gate at 17h27…3 mins to spare. :whistle: Pretty good timing if you ask me. I had really enjoyed my few hours in Addo….it truly is a beautiful park with very gentle and passive ellies…well mostly !!!!! :wink:

An hour later saw me back in Grahamstown with another successful adventure under my belt.

Thank you for reading this brief report !!!!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]