Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: lion queen-A wish for a fun trip in KNP........July 2011
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:14 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Hi all,

We, that is the SO and I, will be going to KNP all on our own for the first time................no more LO to send to the shop.............but then again no-one to laugh at her parents making fools of themselves.................. :roll:

It's a short trip, but that is better than nothing.....................

3 nights Lower Sabie
3 nights Berg & Dal
2 nights Skukuza

If and when we return and there is no report of either a man or a woman left as lion food in Kruger.........you'll know this was a successful trip.

On my wish list for this trip is a honey-badger and a caracal. As usual I won't say no to lions, a few leopards and a cheetah or two....................Then of course elephants..............Duke feature very high on the list....................come to think of it.................I don't mind what we see as long as I'm back in the Kruger I'm happy.................... :thumbs_up:

Last edited by lion queen on Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: A wish for a fun trip.........the more fun report it wil
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:33 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Hi Fluts

Leaving Upington Saturday morning............drive to Hazyview.............sleep there and in at the gates first thing Sunday morning!!!

Can't wait..........still need to figure out which road to take to Hazyview......... :wall: :wall: :wall:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:36 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Oh I forgot to wish to see Mitomeni again............he is a new and promising tusker.............but so beautiful and gentle................we send almost an hour with him in December 2009............

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:13 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Hi all,

We're back..............

what an interesting trip...............we had some very nice sightings............some new sightings............some sightings we had for a very long time not seen................and some I hope not to see again..............some I know have been talked and talked about but still occur ( :wall: some just never learn)...................none of my wish list................ :( ....................

We have once again realized a lot of stuff....................just how bad some of our roads are :wall: .............how easy it is to forget about every thing back home :roll: ....................how some sightings in KNP still looks like a road block :slap: ................how wonderful it is to wake up with lions roaring from every direction :D ..............how difficult it is to find those lions :wall: :wall: ..............but most of all how much I love the Kruger :dance: .............

I'll try and go through the photos this week end.............lucky for you all.............I did not take nearly as much as usual..............so this TR should take a lot less time to finish.............but the down side is that there is not that much that I think is worth publishing..................at a stage it felt to me I took more sun rise and set photos than animals..................

We made this a fun trip.............by sometimes just shaking our head and laugh. :doh: ..............by singing all our silly songs we have changed words to over the years :whistle: .....................by standing up every morning with a song in our hearts................and maybe by realizing that the nest is now empty and we are back to the two of us and that could once again be as much fun as it was before we became three..............

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:59 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Lets get this Trip Report started.........I'll do all the thank you's in a moment...........just want to get myself into the feeling again................

DAY 1 And we had fun fun fun (and daddy did not take the Tbird away)

Early morning we were at Phabeni Gate. Quickly got in line and not long we were at front…………….

First sightings were of………..yip Impala as usual……….then BWB………and then two Rhinos far of in the veld walking away from us………then the first Kudus for the trip…….this trip we saw the most Kudus ever.

And the a very first for us in KNP……………….Jackal…………….in KTP we don’t even stop at some jackal sightings………….which might be why we have never seen a Jackal in the Kruger before now.

Then it was a quick turn for a tree squirrel………Kudus………..Zebra………….Impalas…………..and then it was time for a very quick family gathering……………..

Two Lions and a lioness…………..one of the lions got up and walked away from the other two………….there was already a lot of cars so we did not stay for tea and cake………….

Then it was Impala keeping us company all the way to Skukuza……….this is the first time ever that we started a trip in Lower Sabie……….we stopped for a quick breakfast in Skukuza and some photos of the Humming Birds at reception………..

Half past 9 we were on our happy way to LS………….except of the ever present Impala we saw some Bushbuck… Hippos……Pumbas…………monkeys………..Baboons…….
This family were more concerned about breakfast to even notice the amount of cars stopping to watch them………

Then it was time for our first Elephants…………a big herd down at the river in the reeds.

Six big Kudu bulls were next up……….this one tried to warn us about the traffic jam further on………but we did not understand……..

Two buffalo were banging heads far of in the veld……..I would have loved to have a nice photo opportunity, but sadly it was just too far off.

About ten kilometres before LS a huge pile up…………..must be something big…………nope actually something small …………..a baby leopard up in a tree…………poor little thing…………all these cars and mommy nowhere to be seen…………….she/he is so well camouflaged in the tree that I can’t think how the first car spotted it…………this was the best I could managed……….we did not actually stop………just crept forward slowly through all the cars…………

It’s just past 11 o’clock and we saw the big 4 and 1 small five……………

Not bad for the first day………….we sure had fun fun fun and daddy still haven’t taken the Tbird away………

Then we were back to impala ……hippos…..impala….giraffas….impala……rhinos…..impala……elephants……impala………….do you get the feeling what would be every second sighting????

Then it was Sunsetdam with all the usual Impala hippos and crocs………..

Across the river we wandered and up the S128 and back with the H10 we went……….now it was the turn for zebras……giraffes……..Elephants……..a dead snake ( our only one this trip….yes dead or alive!)……..Elephants……Giraffes………..pumbas……….3 Rhinos……….Elephants………..Pumbas and Zebras…………see no Impalas………

This elephant was more than willing to pose………at this stage my dream to be seeing Duke or at least one tusker was still well and alive…………..and I thought if I took spics of all the willing ones I should be rewarded……………

We were back at the bridge and had some time to kill……………

To be continued……………

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:57 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
DAY 1 And we had fun fun fun (and daddy did not take the Tbird away)……(Part 2)

We were on the Lower Sabie bridge killing time……………….it was just after one and we couldn’t book in till two……………

By now all of you know my bird knowledge is not the best………….but one of my favourites is Fish Eagles………..just love watching them and hearing that wonderful call…………

So I felt quite blessed with six juveniles and 2 old birds flying around catching fish and occasionally giving a hallo call to each other………….must be the best way to pass that hour……………

Lunch………..well not mine……..the Fish Eagle’s …………..

Some of the birds gave us a wonderful show………while the others sat in a nearby tree

It was not long or one of the birds caught his lunch…………..then he found a nice rock to have his lunch…………..

Then brother came along………….the poor FE who was about to have lunch caught such a fright that he flew up and dropped his lunch in the water………….

Now if ever I have seen a drive through fast food joint in the Kruger this must have been it……….

This must be one of the best FE sightings we have ever had……….

One of the older birds kept the young ones under control………….

To be continued……………

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:27 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
DAY 1 And we had fun fun fun (and daddy did not take the Tbird away)……(Part 3)

After all the FE action and they all must have had lunch by now, I took the time to see what else there was on the sightings menu for us…………….

Then this family came along……………the children got a swimming lesson……….the small ones blend in so well with the ground on some of the pictures I had to have a good look before I found them…………..

Then we had another first…………..this first day back in the park was full of first sightings for us………….could not have wished for more fun………….

This was a cheeky one and I must say quite brave………….played touch game with the crocodile on the rock…………………..and when mr croc did not play back he turned round and slipped back into the water……..

I hope you all enjoyed that otter sighting as much as we did………………
To be continued……………

Post subject: Re: A wish for a fun trip in KNP........
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:41 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
DAY 1 And we had fun fun fun (and daddy did not take the Tbird away)……(Part 4)

By now it was past two and we went smiling all the way to reception………….we booked in ………….unpacked and had a nice rest till four.

We had a quick look at sunset……………..but they were still having a siesta

The Guineafowl were awake and walking around the cars…………….looking for a nice mid afternoon snack………….

We decided to go down the tar road in Croc-Bridge direction and the do the gravel S28……………on the tar were only kudu and Impala……………not very far down the gravel road we saw a big elephant herd crossing the road……………

We decided to turn round and rather go back to the camp……………..we saw some dwarf mongooses……….Impala…….Giraffe…..Zebra…………….Impala…………….

Then a car waved us down…………..they wanted to know what we saw on the road………….then they told us than just after you get back on the tar there is a pack of lions on our right………….now how did we miss that when we drove past that an odd hour ago???

Very happy we went looking for the lions………………after ten minutes we saw nothing………..we decided they must have been joking…………..

At what I call the Fish Eagle tree one were having an early supper……………

Not far from that some cars were parked looking at the river…………..we had to say sorry in our minds to the “jokers”…………..there on a sand bank in the riverbed laid a pack of four lions………….

Back to camp we went ………………that night (while the two Hyenas patrolled the fence) the lions roared like crazy……………..music to my ears…………. In my dreams we were having a family reunion!!

Score for the day
7 Lions
1 Leopard (baby)
Lots of Elephants
7 Rhinos
2 Buffalo
2 Hyenas
1 Jackal
1 Otter

Day 2 up next……………..

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]