Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 2
 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: issi“KRUGER FEVER!”Highly contagious Handle with care!Jul11
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:02 pm 

It’s funny… but about 2-3 weeks before our yearly visit to Kruger the same symptoms appear:

1. The Itch!

An itchy feeling in your purse… You just have to spend money… a new camera… a new this and that! “No new camera or lens for me!!!!” All new gadgets have their own merit, all be it ones only you can think of. O I needed a pot 18cm in diameter and the handles had to be 7cm from the bottom… it have to fit into the … guess? The new casserole!

2. Red eye syndrome!
A need to spend a lot of time on the Parks Boards forum… reading everybody’s travel report, sightings, and road and camp threads! Note where what was seen etc etc etc!

3. Sleepless nights!
Thinking of what needs to be packed! We fly to JHB, therefore only 20kg per person… and yes we were very lucky to get accommodation, however some without a kitchens… so the kitchen needs to be packed! O.. I must remember to pack the “braaitang”… forget about that warm top… I need my flask and mugs!
4. Stomach uneasy!
Only one more week before we leave. Excitement! Adrenaline overload! There are still a lot to do… Pain a new table cloth (the old one was damaged beyond recognition last year, the night we played “Swartvark” at the fire!

5. Memory loss!
Did I check the flight times etc etc etc!
Where did I put the flight confirmation!
Did I confirm our car?
Where is the Wild Card?
Where did ‘n put my … so it goes on an on!

6. The Diet!
I must still send my shopping list to the kind people at Pick’nPay in Malelane! They will have my entire shopping ready, packed and perfect, just right for me to pick-it-up-and-pay! 2 min flat shopping for 12 days! I love it when a plan comes together!

7. Headache!
How to you pack for 2 people, for 12 days, cameras tri-pod, monopod, lenses…etc binoculars, bird books, laptop etc and you have only 40kg! What do you leave… we are already leaving the kids, cats, dogs and birds!
If you suffer from the same complaints or have any home remedy, please feel free to send me your advice!

Kind regards
A nutty issi

Post subject: Re: “KRUGER FEVER!” Highly contagious… Handle with care!
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:05 am 

Elsa,
If you look carefully you will see the yellow ribbon goes into the kitchen! there is no space in the camera bag.
Thanks for the hint of the notebook... my memory is like Escom, I have power failures without warning! Did I just say that my memory is like Escom.... Must be another power failure!

Next week this time... I will be traveling the S28...

My vision!

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:41 pm 

Vg stephens: I got the Fever when I was still in my nappies! They never told me that its a cryonic disease, but as the good Doctor ordered… I will be in KNP by Wednesday! :whistle:

Micetta: I’m on the critical list, unfortunately I can only be admitted on Wednesday! They have booked me in till the 24th July! :tongue:

DuQues: I’m still trying to get everything INTO my camera bag, and it helps with the memory loss if I see my equipment lying around! I hope they are not going to weigh my hand luggage! :hmz: Got a question for you! Will Styrofoam work in a beanbag?

Bushcraft: Thanks man… I will try my best, actually I try every year!

My Get Well Place!

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:03 pm 

Leanawel, the 1300km gave you away! You must be from somewhere in the Cape, see there is one of the symptoms again.. only saw now that you are from the Karoo! We will be flying overhead when you are on the road! Our flight is 6:45 so we will be over the Karoo at 7:45 Just look out for the 1Time plane (that's the red one!) with the roof rack!
You are very fortunate to have an Fortuner, lots of space for lots of treats. We will have to make do with Shop-koekies!
We are in Lower Sabie 13& 14 July.. will definitely have to meet and have a good glass of wine! We are also in the tents luckily on the river!
Joao:
You are making me all nerves... I'm a real wanna- be photographer... and to top that I'm a obsessive & compulsive gatherer of equipment, not that I know how to use it all! Still learning.

My Driver having a Tea break!

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:27 pm 

Shi:
Thanks for the well wishes…. Sometimes I wonder if I really want to be cured! I love my semi state of madness, the only symptoms I would like to be relieved of the the EMPTY PURSE SYNDROME!

Fenwickh:
Must say the Pick’n Pay in Malelane give super service. 5 min stop and all the shopping is done!

Meandering Mouse:
This is not a laughing matter :naughty: it’s serious! :naughty: My family says I’m mad… they've made appointments with our local Sangoma and our family Doctor! I will be seeing them tomorrow. So I will report back on their verdict…

My dream last night!

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:51 pm 

The rapport back!
I went to the SANGOMA as my family asked….
He threw the bones….
SANGOMA: ” What do you see in the bones?”

ME: “That was very easy… I thought it would be a lot more difficult!
My reply:….

A HONEY BADGER HAVING SUPPER!

The diagnosis: KRUGER FEVER!

My next stop was the SHRINK…. Full of confidence I went into his consulting room… nice leather couch… must be Kudu…. How can someone kill a Kudu for its hide… they must be insane!
He showed me a picture, or I thought it was a ink blob:
THE SHRINK: “What do you see in the picture?”

ME: “Are YOU nuts!”
“That is definitely an Elephant! NO two elephants standing back to back!”

The diagnosis:EXTREME CASE OF KRUGER FEVER!

So the next stop is the Family DOCTOR. The tested my eyes…

DOCTOR: “What to you see?”

ME: “ Its clearly a road , could be the S65, Ja and wild dogs running, no I think they are hunting! YES!” my memory loss is getting better!
“ I’m dead sure it’s the S65, date 10 July 2010 time 6:55

DOCTOR: “And this picture?”…” What do you see?”

ME: That spots… No mistake… has to be a Cheetah! I can even tell… I think it is on the H3 just before you get the T junction with the H 1-1

DOCTOR: “And This?”

ME: Heaven!

The diagnosis: LETHAL CASE OF KRUGER FEVER, Very bad degree!

The doctor ORDERS:
NO MORE FORUM FOR 14 DAYS!
NO MORE READING ON THE FORUM!
NO MORE SPENDING OF MONEY!
NO MORE GADGETS!

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:40 pm 

Crested Val & Anne-marie
Thanks for your support! :clap:
Micetta:
Had a good cackle at your smilie!
Billyf,
Thanks I will try very hard to enjoy the trip!
Shi:
:naughty: My, how did you put is! my" health dilemma" is no laughing matter. Have you been in THIS situation before? Then you will know IT"S NOT FUNNY!

I will leave you with the following photo..... while I go into treatment!
see you in 12 days!

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:58 pm 

Hi All of You!
I really thought that this trip would cure me of the fever, but tonight I'm really not feeling well... Don't know what's the matter but I've a hollow feeling on my stomach, tomorrow is our last day :( My eyes are red.... From all the dust :( My purse is empty!!! :( My clothes all shrunk!! :( - have a problem getting everything back into the suitcases! My heart is aching.... I will only be back in a years time, I can't upload any photos !!!
Please can someone tell me how to get rid of this fever!!!! HELP!!!

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:48 pm 

All the dust has been washed out my hair, and slowly my life is getting back to normal… sorry my life will never be normal!
My only link to my wonderful time in Kruger is my daily visit on the forum, and the webcams!
So let me start my TR.
Packed, cameras, action… still sleepy we board your flight!
Just as we are halfway to O R Tambo, my thoughts go to Leanawel, travelling from the Karoo to Kruger! 2 hours later we get our car. a little Terrios… booked specially for the 4x4 trail at Satara. Top speed 120km/h up hill in 3rd and down hill we pass all the grand 4x4…. Sorry I forgot to mention the YELLOW ribbon tied onto the aerial!
Off to see the Wild West show.
1st Stop the groceries at Pn’P in Malelane! Then, the Gate at Malelane… its cold, and the clouds are heavy and dark!
Now the big question? What road to take… up the H3… Coffee at Afsaal, then left onto the S112, round the Renosterkoppies, onto the S21 all the way to the H4-1, then south to Lower Sabie.

Every second tree stump resembles a lion… no that must be a Leopard… no it definitely has to be a …. DEAD TREE!
It’s the first time in all my life that the only animals we come across are my SO and me! As we get closer to Lower Sabie the animals get more! Impala, Kudu, a stray elephant! And then Hippo etc etc.

Lower Sabie: haven’t been here for many years! What a surprise, our tent right on the fence! …
Every time I want to go into the tent the door…. the D*@# door opens the wrong way!!!!!
The sounds that night were the best ever! As the sun sets, a heard of elephants passes right on our side of the river… right in front of the camp… till late we could hear the rumbling and the rustling of the reeds as they pass us!

21:00 in bed an off to sleep with the song of the Egyptian gees and the bass sounds of the hippo! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Heaven!

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:48 am 

Hi Anna-marie:
I thought I would not disturb the peaceful setting by mentioning the baboons! They had my bread, that was supposed to be Braaibroodjies that night :evil: , all my carefully hand picked Pawpaws! the sugar they used as confetti - one of our good neighbour salvaged most of your other stuff. :pray:
This all with all the baboon-proofing they done to the cupboards!
I came to the conclusion: One should never call anybody a baboon! Baboons are quit clever and resourceful!

Micetta:
All though Kruger is great, our first day's sightings was substandard! As soon as this happens, I start taking pictures of the landscape or trees! :cam:

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:30 am 

Meandering Mouse; Flutterby; buffalo_soldier; Elsa; Magic Guarri; KDJ, thanks for your kind replies. As the days and my symptoms gets less but a new thing is happening: My heart is getting sore! I will have to wait almost 356 days!
Day 2:
Up @ 5:00, it’s bitterly cold; I dress in my jeans and sheepskin boots! I have to wear this jean till I can unpack in Satara, so sorry to the people how saw me in the same jean for 2 days! That’s what happens if you will rather pack your camera equipment than clothes!

First things first, over the weir, is that one call the bridge at Lower Sabie? Back again and then the H4-2 to Crocodile Bridge and up the S28 back to Lower Sabie!
We watch the early sunrise on the weir and just as we turn back I see the moon set in the west! Sunning stunning stunning!

In my dream I can see the coalition of male lions lying in the road! The cheetah with her cubs standing on an anthill, just round the bend and to top it all, a leopard, basking in the early morning sun in a dead Leadwood tree!

Very slowly we drive south on the H 4-2, I know there is a leopard that holds in this area… Well we spotted an Orangebreasted Bush Shrike, sitting in the thorn bush singing its happy song!

Our next stop was that endangered animal, the one that looks like a tank! Ja that one, we watched it grazing. It just sweeps its head from side to side and nibbles of any thing. It’s almost like my dog, that I should have named Hoover! Sorry I cant place pics! It breaks my heart to think that there are @*#%$& that kill them for a piece of hair! Can we not get all the hairdressers to send all off cut hair to a central collection point so that we can compress the hair in to a Cubic Zirconium Tank horn!!!!

Sorry I’m getting sidetracked! On the S 130 the Gomondwane road the cherry on the days drive: 2 Baleteurs, in a leadwood, within reach of my lens. My SO switches of the car: for almost 20min the birds poses for me, turning, looking directly in to the lens, turning and looking over the shoulder at the camera! WOW they make me look like a pro, and I act like a pro!

The last stop before Crocodile Bridg is the Gezantfombi Dam. A big, big heard of Buffalo!

On the way back on the S28 we pass the local herd of impala etc and then we see the cars…. 2 idiots desided that if they could get 10m closer they will have a better view. Well we slow down and after being informed that it was a Cheetah we drove of. The Cheetah filled on of the focus spots in the lens. It was so faaaaaaaar that it was not worth taking a pic!

At the hide we were only 2 cars… in I walk with my camera and lens…. What do we get a younger visitor with an even longer lens :mrgreen: . I sit and look around to see if there are any living things to take a pic off. Yes I get the monitor lizard- the other visitor…. only the eye! :mrgreen:
Back at camp my SO takes his midday nap! Me… no time to waste, I set off to take photos of the birds in the aloes!

Out afternoon drive down the Ben Schoeman and back with the Salitjie Road was uneventful.

Heaven is a place on Earth!

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:32 pm 

Flutterby: I came to realize that idiots, will still be idiots, when they go to bed!

Katydownunder: You better take your medicine! No good feeling ill! I will post more pics!

Micetta: Me, being a cat lover… if I start taking pics of trees and birds… that only means one thing NO CATS!!!!

Billyf: The Bateleurs realy made my day. I could have sit there much longer… but then, the driver was sitting in the sun! Hahaha!No more Drinking and Driving!

Elsa: Its not money that makes the world goes round: its memories!

Pumbaa: Luckily for use we started with the birds and ended with the cats!

Anne-marie: You probably saw the full moon in July… aren’t you there for a very Loooooooooong time?

Magic Guarri: (Karin) Thanks man! You make me feel like a pro, and it helps for withdraw symptoms. I have a Cannon Eos 350 & 400 with a 50-500 zoom lens and a 300 zoom!

KDJ: During my stay in Kruger I decided that to hell with cats… I’m know an Official Bird? Watcher!

Shi: thanks for the kind words… I met your friend Blommetjie at a sunrise photo session!

Meandering Mouse: Life is soooo dull if not in Kruger, so lets laugh about it!

This photo is a bit out of synchrony but here for you BLOMMETJIE!

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:12 am 

Hi Touareg: That man had a rocket launcher, not a lens!
Magic Guarri: Glad you are sorted!
Divine7polo: Thanks i send you a PM

Day 3:

Last night we had to pack, today we are moving to Satara!
So up again at 5:00 and today, it’s going to be the most famous…. WAIT! S 29 Mlondozi road to Nwagovila picnic spot and then the H10 all the way to Tshokwane and the up the N2 to Satara!

Again, in my minds eye, I can see the Cheetah with her cubs! The Mlondozi road is Cheetah Country! That’s if you can believe the Forumites! Or more tanks, maybe Lions… who know what will await us!

First stop: a Pearl-spotted Owlet, just before sunrise!

Then our next stop tee with condensed milk, just were the road crosses the Shisumbi drift and the sunrises over Mozambique! Perfect light! Perfect setting! NO ANIMALS!
So I start taking photos of the trees!

You know, the most amazing thing was, that from were we turned of the H10, we saw no cars… only one army vehicle! The cars were probably at the Lions… hahaha!

The wind was very chilly and veldt was burned… a very dismal scene! But just being there is enough!
Hey, come-on, you are getting depressed, probably still the symptoms of the fever!

Orpen dam!

The rest of the mornings drive to Tshokwane was uneventful! Just the usual Zebras, Giraffe, Gnu and a couple of Wide Mouth Tanks, o and a couple of elephant!

Tshokwane was as usual busy! So we had our leftovers and were amazed at the amount of time and effort people would spend on FOOD!

Just as we turned onto the N2… cars… on the opposite side of the river under the tree there… were it is very far… a leopard! Out comes the camera, had to take o shot! This was our second cat of 2011 trip! Half an hour later, more cars… lion… somewhere there in the tall grass! Out comes the long lens… had to take the shot just to document the historical sighting!

Then on to Satara, A quick unpack and I hit the road on my own! Hubby has to sleep! It takes me back to when the kids were small… a afternoon nap!
I jump behind the wheel of the Terios! Cameras, monopod, “far lookers” ,”droëwors” and 2l sparkling water! The Nsemanidam my first stop, then off to Girivana dam. The road is very bad… sinkplaatpad… and I think to myself… the bright side , weight loss! It’s the African form of the Power Plate!

The highlights of the afternoon drive were a Monitor lizard, a famous elephant and giraffes! No sign of the leopards at Girivana dam!

The last raise of the sun!

See you soon!

Last edited by issi on Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:27 pm 

click click: They should send everyone with Kruger fever permanently there for recovery!

PeterPM: Photos is the only thing that keep me sane during the year!

KDJ: Thanks for the comments, my head has just gone bigger!

blommietjie: you belong to day 7 please wait your turn! Hahaha!

Pumbaa: we saw a lot of "you" but we don't count the warthogs!
Elsa & Anne-marie Thanks
Micetta: Just remember I'm writing in a foreign language!

Day 4:

Today is going to be a great day… we have the home advantage!! Satara had been our “home camp” on all our visits over the last 5 years… I know where to find all the cats… I almost know them by name!

Today is north on the H1-4 then right onto the Lion highway the S90… then right again onto the S41 to past the Gudzani waterholes and dam to Nwanetsi and back to Satara on the H6

6:00 we’re waiting for the gates to open… all the cars turn right, there were Lions on the S100 last night. We stick to our guns and turn left… With my small flashlight I scout in the tall grass for eyes… African Wild Cat… I beg my driver to go slow I have to seen the cats… this is cat country.

I don’t even know if it was 4 km from the camp… walking nonchalant in the road…. 2 male lions! Purrrrfect... yesterday when every thing was in my favour for taking photos… no lions… now 2 lions and it is still to dark. I try the flash… its a gemors! Them I revert back to my old 300 mm lens… shot after shot… purrrrfect pictures! O I forgot to mention… we were only about 4 cars! The lions give us an excellent show posing every now in then! With the purrrrfect early morning light, I go berserk, my old symptoms of a trigger happy finger starts again!

As the to males walk into the bush my driver gets agitated… he has only had I cup of condensed milk tea, and I need to get his blood sugar levels up. “I’ll make you some tea, if you find me a tree to photograph!”
Turning onto the S 90 I ask Thom to be on the lookout for a dead Leadwood tree… I want to take a photo of the rising sun.

Before we could get to a tree…. Lions! To the left, to the right in front and to the back of us… 12 lions!!!!!!!!!!!!

My symptoms take over and my trigger happy finger “spring” into action. The light is purrrfect and every thing is in my favour! There is one lioness that is quite a bite lighter in colour than the rest.

Beautiful! If I don’t have to see any more lions this week I will be contented!

After about an hour the lions move of and we part ways. At the drift where the Mavumbye crosses the road we find a heard of elephant! The one cow has rather long tusks. Could she be the well-known cow?

Turning onto the S 41 we decide to checkout the Gudzani North waterhole! But there is nothing... turning back towards N’wanetsi we just see animals run. We stop and scout the area… there is definitely something but it’s just out of sight. The waterbuck, zebras and wildebeest are restless and they all stand in groups looking in a certain direction… We park and have another cup of wildtuin tea! After some time we decide that it probably is a leopard and that it’s either caught something or slipped away!

The rest of the way to N’wanetsi is uneventful but it’s good seeing the Gudzani dam with water! A quick stop at the Sweni hide and then we hit the H6!
The H6 was very quiet, and no sign of the leopard at Sonop!

That night I couldn’t wait to download my photos… I forgot to mentioned, I left my computer mouse at home and the staff at Satara gratefully let me use one from the office, but I had to do the down loading in the Managers office! To me that was the best observing the staff without them giving me any attention!
I have to mention the trainee at the reception deck, every evening I listen to her asking the visitors how their day was, whether they saw a lot of animal, is it their first visit etc. while she is booking them in! I’m sorry I never got her name, but hats of to you girl, you rock!

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:48 pm 

katydownunder: Hope you have taken your medicine, :thumbs_up: you know once you have your ref no: some of the symptoms will actually become worse!

Micetta: my only replay on the lion photos can be Purrrrfect!

anne-marie: if I can remember correctly Aat knows of a elephant cow with long tusks. I have to ask him about his cow!

Click click, Hope you enjoy your time and don't spend to mush time on shopping!

Meandering Mouse: thank for the compliment and I'll sure post some on the sunset thread! Satara rocks when it comes to lions!

Pumbaa: Thanks The BBJ was very light in colour and yes it did look to me as a BBJ but are not sure. I googles Side-striped jackal and now I'm confused!

KDJ: Thanks :think: but I get so tongue tiered from the English!

cheetah2111: :naughty: :naughty: Hey watch it! The S100 is tops! I'm a fanatic supporter !!!! I'll do some homework on the elephant cows. In that heard almost all the cows had rather long tusks!

Flutterby: thanks! I really appreciate your comment!

Ms Wild Dog: After all my research the answer to your question: NO CLUE! :w:

The Made in China's cooling of in the birdbath!

Will be seeing you soon!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next