Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: moggiedog-What does an Irishman, a.........Sep 2011
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:55 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Zimbabwean, a Yank, a Brit (or Limey whatever you prefer) and two saffieshave in common?
lets add to the mix - a white stick (for the blind), a geriatric,one incredibly gorgeous young man who is gay, and one grumpy old man.
Almost three years in the planning but the final payment has been made - and this motley crew are heading towards a very specific destination.
Two vehicle - one called cricket and one called Jon...........................

to be continued.....................

SAY NO TO HOTEL DEVELOPMENT IN KRUGER !

Post subject: Re: What does an Irishman, a.........
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:45 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I believe a few introductions to the cast are in order:

The star JJ - or LL (depending on the time of day)

JJ is from Florida in the USA - I don't think she knows what she has let herself in for. She is a townie and this will be her first visit to Africa.
How we met : - we haven't!!

Supporting roles:
Granny - my mum born in Livingstone (oops that's Zambia not Zimbabwe - therefore a Zambian not a Zimbabwean) - all of 88 years old and complains of various aches and pains. When I ask why - I find out she has been either body surfing in Natal or indulging in some other activity that someone half her age would think twice about doing. Go granny - go!!

GPS aka grumpy old man- you may have "met" previously - general Purpose Spouse and driver of Jon.

BG - my son - a drama queen of note - but one incredible person with a heart way to big for a human. Driver of the second vehicle - Cricket.

Cricket belongs to WD who has sadly gone blind -over the last few months - This has not daunted or killed her spirit of adventure nor her love for nature. Only time will tell how her white stick will come into play as this drama (oops trip) unfolds.
Met WD for the first time on a trip through Botswana. She was our 'guest" passenger. A trip where we stopped counting at our 13th puncture in five days. Eventually our wheel literally fell off on the Caprivi strip = She always says it was the best holiday she has ever had and when can we do it again.

and last but not least - me: aka SS aka moggiedog aka widge - the only sane one of the bunch. Hopefully I will keep the rest of them in line and behaving with some degree of decorum. I will not be taking center stage but will be the narrator of the story of a trip of a lifetime - with a very mixed bag of personalities and characters.

I hope you have booked your seat and will join us on our journey. I have no idea how the scenes will unfold - but I am sure there will be something for all to enjoy.

Hope you tag-along with us on our adventures as we venture into the realms of mother nature.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:02 pm 

I'm part of Moggie's equation. I'm not Zimbabwean or Zambian (which is just as well since I can barely spell it), nor Brit nor Saffie. I don't own a white stick (yet), I'm not legally geriatric for another 4 years, & neither a young or old man.....

In 2 months 3 days I'll meet Moggie for the first time face to face :dance: ....well perhaps not since she's short and I'm tall. She may see my kneecaps first.

What do you mean I'm a townie? Just because I said the Big 5 I DON'T want to see are spiders, snakes, bats, rats - drat, can't remember what the last one was.

And don't listen to her - I'm the sane one...she's barking mad. (pun intended)

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:24 pm 

6 2 days till I leave for SA

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:17 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

and you not counting are you? :lol:

A bit longer than 62 days before we stage the production. I know, I know - this trip report has started very early - and I will not apologies as the rehearsals could be amusing. A few odd and sods still have to be ironed out.

Firstly BG has to recover from swine flu. How he contracted the bug is any ones guess. Looks as if GPS (General purpose Spouse aka grumpy old man) may have adopted the bug for himself. This is one time in their lives I am very happy for them to be utterly selfish and keep the bug to themselves.
Granny is currently in Natal - escaping the big freeze - fortunately she is an old hat at the travel game so she need only make her appearance in time to depart for the big stage.

I have a few tricks up my sleeve for JJ.(especially now that she has accused me of being barking mad) Hopefully they will amuse her and not send her packing back to Florida before the main production. Unfortunately some of this build up I will be unable to share as Sanparks are not included in the plans :D )

The stage will be Kruger. The show will be running for eight nights with various scene changes. The main sets have been finalized but it will be up to mother nature to supply the special effects and the lighting. Hopefully some of these special effects will be captured on camera and be worthy of sharing with others.

Sunrises will open the various acts and sunsets will close them. There is the possibility that one or two of the acts my be accompanied by thunder and lightening. The orchestra will be birds, insects and frogs - hopefully joined by the roar of a lion and the laugh of a hyena. The dressing rooms will be lit by stars and the gentle rustle of the leaves on the trees will lull and soothe the cast of players into dreamless sleep before the drama of the day unfolds.

I now have to sort out the billboards and advertising brochures - will be back with the next installment.

vgstephens, CC, Hugh, BillyF, Elsa and Nkulu (hope I havent missed anyone) - thank you for joining - limitless seats are available and I hope you enjoy the preparations and the final performance. It is always nice to have friends along for the ride

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:31 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:D :D Micetta - I never know what I am doing from one day to the next -

I agree with Jill - I think I am stark raving mad and this could be the biggest "flop" in all of my travels - but hey... at least I can say I had a good advertising campaign :lol:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:33 am 

Micetta - I hope Moggie knows what she's doing too - cause I sure don't!!

Moggie - NO WAY will it be a flop...I think I will be in awe of all. I'm a little bit worried about the tricks though :lol: ......& remember, I don't get mad I get even. :naughty:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:49 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hell's bells and buckets of blood - my life has been spinning out of control! I was hoping o keep you guys updated with the planning stages of the trip - but unfortunately things never go as planned. Driver no 2 landed up with oink flu - from this it was diagnosed his cancer had spread to his lungs!! - lets re-wind a few years - he was diagnosed with cancer at the age of 13 - it flared up again a few months ago and the malignant tumors were removed - now this!!
But lets not get bogged down 2 much with the negatives - Just to mention I have been retrentioned (sp?) - and it has got "ugly" - but the positive side - Our trip has not been cancelled. Jill In Florida is still coming - bookings are not going to be cancelled! Planned surprises are still in the pipeline.
Hopefully the trip will not take as long as it did from Benoni to Sandton - over three hours - whooo boy - I love being stuck in traffic.
I have started the preparations - one bottle of Ilala Cream bought - all you Amarula fanatics don't know what you missing if you haven't tried Ilala cream - but I also have the Amarula in the pantry
Next step - I would like some input on where to stay on route. Plans to see the Eastern Transvaal and I would like some suggestion of places to stay close to Pafuri gate on the day prior to our arrival in Kruger on the 15th of September.
I have told Jill that we can always sleep in the car on the side of the road - but she is not enthralled with this idea - :lol: I did tell her I would pack some wee-jons which are are a marvelous alternative to toilet facilities = unfortunately she is not enthralled by this suggestion
Fortunately the petrol crisis is over and done with - the joys of driving an antiquated vehicle I can use either LRP or unleaded so have not had a problem with fuel supply
Till the next installment....I am going to shake all my problems out of my hair ....

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:28 pm 

:dance: One month one week today :dance: I'll be on the plane!

Wee jons would be fine if it were just you and me!! Call me strange - but just don't feel comfortable using that if your hubby or son are in the car with us.

Sleeping on side of road - weeeelllll - maybe 30 years ago, if I had NO other choice. I have a choice so please someone tell us where we could stay by the Purfuri gate - PLEASE!!!!

No idea what Ilala Cream or Amarula is, but if it involves liquor sounds good. :thumbs_up:

I'm getting worried about these surprises..... :big_eyes:

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:51 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The time has come to start getting ready for the final production. First things first - the vehicles have to be thoroughly checked out by the best money can buy

After a lengthy consultation - it was agreed a good wash was all that would be needed

The director and the publicist were not in agreement on a few minor details - but I am sure they will get their act together for the final production

the co-stars and drivers - and one four footed creature who is doing her damdest to convince us that she is a seeing eye dog - but I am sure a white stick will be more appropriate and easier to take into the park. Plus it does not have to be fed or looked after..............

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:02 am 

Matthys - thank you for the hug....

Moggie - I'm very glad you had your vehicle checked out by the very nutty, but thorough mechanic.

Well maybe it's time to let everyone know what you have planned for this extravaganza?

To start - I'm leaving Orlando International on Sept. 7th and changing planes in Washington DC, to Dakar for a one hour stop and onto J'burg - arriving on Sept 8th. I think the trip is about a million hours or there abouts.

I believe (and correct me if I'm wrong Moggie) we're leaving for some sightseeing en route to Kruger on Sept. 12th or 13th.

My first glimpse of Kruger will be when we enter Pafuri Gate. I can hardly wait!

(if I've misspelled any of the names I apologize - but if you want a really good laugh, have me try and pronounce them)

Sept 15 & 16 we'll spend at Sirheni.
Sept 17 we go to Shimuwini - leaving on the 19th
Sept 19th - and this is my F A V O R I T E - ONE night in Tamboti. (I really prefer solid walls and doors and such but Moggie has assured me this will be perfectly safe....)
Sept. 20th - onto Satara
Sept. 21st & 22nd - Biyamiti and then Moggie will have to drag me kicking and screaming to leave Kruger.

Will have a few days to see local sites in and around J'burg before very sad farewells as I leave South Africa en route to London and a weeks visit with my daughter and grandson Sept 28th

I'm going to try and find a reasonable photo of me to post....if I can figure out how!!

This was NOT sideways when I started it... No idea why it switched!!

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:16 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Just over a month to go and with all the time in the world on my hands I am positive I will still have a last minute panic mode shopping and packing to do. JnF has less than a month before we collect her from OR Tambo Airport. With a bit of luck we should be able to recognize each other at the airport.

A couple of issues still have to be resolved. Although all the accommodation at Kruger has been finalized the supporting acts have not as yet been fully booked. I did mention to JnF - that if the worst comes to the worst we can always sleep in the car on the side of the road. Now before you jump down my throat - I do know it is not allowed in South Africa - but if we pull far enough off the road - who will be any the wiser? A bottle of water a spade and a blanket is all that would be required for the cast to survive the night.
I'm okay as I am only just over four feet tall so sleeping on the back seat will be no problem - I will be perfectly comfortable - as for the others - thats their problem :twisted:

One of the things that need to be addressed is the menu - with a production of this magnitude we certainly cannot live on meat alone; or can we?
perhaps a huge steak or two would be the order of the day

or some well barbecued ribs

a well cooked chicken perhaps?

or perhaps we can fall off our chair for some fresh fruit

Following the menu the drinks cart has to be well stocked. (Please note which one is empty!)Image

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:28 pm 

3 weeks 3 days till I come off the plane.... Of course we'll recognize each other :pray: - Are you really only just over 4' tall? - you'll come up to my ...um. :redface: . hips, yeah that's it hips. Pictures of us together are going to be a hoot!! -

Moggie - you may be short enough to sleep in the car (and I'm VERY happy to hear it's not permitted) but I doubt you'd get much sleep with my long legs and big feet thumping you :tongue:

Menu - there is one thing I want to say - I am NOT wrestling a lion to share the spoils....we need to shop on Friday or Saturday!!! :D Oh and I want to buy post card stamps before we leave.... :lol:

24 days - HOW long has this been in the works and it's FINALLY here!!! :dance: (psst - I'm really excited)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]