Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 2
 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: buffalo_soldier-A trip with incidents !!!-2009
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:34 pm 

Location: Next trip is planned! This time BOTSWANA. But i will come back to SA!
Hey everybody.... :dance:

I´m looking forward to my next trip to SA in October....
Therefore i decided to post a little TR of my 2009 trip to KNP. This trip included everything you want to have and everything you don´t!!!!

Let me tell about some incidents of my trip....bad incidents as well, but with a little smile on my face! :)

Post subject: Re: A trip with incidents i will never forget!!!
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:50 pm 

Our plane started on a Thursday evening in Munich. We (my girlfriend, her parents and me) decided to stay in SA for christmas...

Arrived in Jo´burg we made us on our way to the Blyde River Canyon with a one night stop in Dullstrom.
We had a lovely smoked fish for dinner.... :D

The next day, we arrived at the BRC, with a stop at the Potholes, God´s window and Worlds End. The weather was rainy so we couldn´t get a good view.

The next night we stayed in a nice lodge in Hazyview. I chose this lodge, because of it´s beautiful, huge garden with a lot of birds, and sometimes hippos.

Our bungalow...

My girlfriends parents were in one room, my girlfriend and me in the other...both with seperate entrances.
We went to bed early because we wanted to leave at about five o´clock in the morning to be at the KNP gate early.

I had my problems to fall asleep...I guess i was a little nervous because of my first trip to KNP!
My girlfriend was sleeping....

It was about 3 o´clock when i heared somenone screaming....loud, very loud..... :big_eyes:

It took a few seconds till i realized that it was my mother in law, who was screaming, screaming full of fear.... :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

Last edited by buffalo_soldier on Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:28 pm 

Don´t panic guys.... :mrgreen: i keep on telling....

..... I was jumping out of my bed and ran to the door, turned the light on the veranda on....opened the door and could just shortly see something disappearing in the bush..... :shock:

My girlfriends´mum came to our veranda, totally confused, crying.....

My first thought was that my father in law had a heart attack or something else,............BUT it was like never expected....

Two guys broke in the room of my parents in law!!!!!!! While they were sleeping there. :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

Last edited by buffalo_soldier on Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:36 pm 

....I tried to calm down my mother in law.

I woke up my girlfriend and my father in law come onto our veranda aswell...

A few seconds after, the security-guys came....We told them the short version what happened, then they called the lodge manager and went into the bush, trying to pursue the burglars.

The evening before we allready packed all our bags, not to loose to much time in the morning....so the burglars had an easy job.....
They took the packed bag of my mother in law and the bag with all the documents.....

The security team and the policemen, who appeared some minutes later tried to find the thieves for hours....but they didn´t find anything instead of a shoe... I guess they lost it on their escape.

What would have been if they had guns???????????? :sniper:

Now the problems went on!!! The police didn´t find anything...So we had the problem that all documents of my parents in law were stolen. Passport and travel documents...

My parents in law worked in Pretoria for three years, so they had some really good contacts. my father in law phoned with his former secretary and tried to find a solution for this mess.

Noone could help us....

Either i took some pics....

Well, after hours of discussing and phoning we decided to enter the KNP!
That evening the dinner was really quiet....
The next day my girlfriend and me stayed in KNP while my parents in law were driving back to Pretoria to get a provisional passport.

My girlfriend and me decided to rent a car for this day to check out what´s going on in the bush! :D
Unfortunately you can rent a car only with a credit card! AND I FORGOT MY CREDIT CARD IN THE CAR, which was on the way to pretoria!!!!! :thumbs_up: Perfect!

So, we enjoyed the whole day on the viewing deck in Skukuza...

Last edited by buffalo_soldier on Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:47 pm 

Oh, yes there are worse places....that´s why i´m gonna show you some pics i took in the Skukuza Camp...

Last edited by buffalo_soldier on Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:30 pm 

We relaxed the whole day on the viewing deck....with cool drinks, café latte and some beautiful visitors in and around the river.... :D

In the early evening my parents in law came back, so that we could manage to go for an evening drive..... :mrgreen:

Here are some impressions.

Last edited by buffalo_soldier on Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:00 pm 

The next morning started with a guest shortly behind the gate of the camp...

The morning was a little rainy and very quiet, untill a breeding herd of ellies came crossing the road... That took time!!!! :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:44 am 

The rest of the morning was very quiet...we drove in direction to Lower Sabie and it seemed like all the animals were staying in their homes because of the bad weather....allthough it was a little rainy and cloudy, the humidity was increasing.....

Marabou storks drying their feathers....

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:02 am 

On our way back to Skukuza, for having lunch, we came into the largest breeding herd of elephants i´ve ever seen... i guess minimum 60 ellies... We were surrounded by elephants! In front of the car, beside the car and behind us....some of them not more than 5 metres away.... It was totally amazing and they were totally relaxed....

On these pictures you cannot see the size of this huge herd... but believe me it was huge!!!
We called them the "red ellies"... because of the red sand, covering their skin...

I watched this amazing tree, and later i realized that there were ellis grazing under it! :mrgreen:

Last edited by buffalo_soldier on Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:15 am 

After lunch, the weather cleared up and the sun was burning...we drove the whole gravel roads in the area around skukuza. We came to a small waterhole, or better a small puddle... first of all we didn´t realized that a croc was lying there.....moments later we watched our very first kill.....poor leopard tortoise! :(

One of these pics of the kill is also posted as my number one pic!!!!
http://www.sanparks.co.za/forums/viewtopic.php?style=2&f=31&t=52798&sid=37513df41cdb5fff38c0cabdaa3fcc1b

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am 

We drove a gravel road in the midday heat, when something very special happened! :shock:

I spotted my very first LEOPARD...
The picture is not the greatest, but it´s very special for me because it´s my first leopard.

She was sitting in the thick bush and i could get a shot through some leaves and branches, before she disappeared....

Most of the animals tried to stay in the shade because of the heat.

We passed the Mlondozi dam and enjoyed the view for some moments. Leaving Mlondozi we came into big traffic jam....

LIONS! Three lioness with their cubs. I could only manage to get a pic of a lioness.

We saw a lot of Kudus and elephants in/around the river...

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:55 am 

We made us on our way to Satara...

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:13 am 

Typical african scene in the area of satara.... :D

We stayed only one night in Satara. At night i heared some lions roaring! It sounds like they were waiting for midnight snack right in front of my bungalow!!!!!! :big_eyes:

The next Morning we drove to Olifants...the temperature was increasing...at about 11 o´clock we had about 39 degrees celsius.........and suddenly the air condition of the car BROKE DOWN!!!!!! :doh:

WHAT THE HELL ?!?!?! :evil: :evil: :evil:

At about 2 o´clock the temperature was 41 degrees celsius...we drove in direction to letaba and the air con was broken!!!!!!!!!! What would happen tomorrow???????

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:50 am 

You are right! :D

Better the air con broke down, then the car!!!!! :mrgreen:

The Olifants River was full of water...

Tree Squirrel in the Olifants Camp...

For this evening we booked a sunset drive.... later on it seemed we´ve been on a night drive with a lot of incidents and a lot of ADRENALINE!!!........BUT more later! :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:01 pm 

Our sunset drive started with a lot of general game: Impies, Giraffes, Warthogs and some beautiful waterbucks...Our ranger was a kind lady...

We enjoyed the setting sun...

After sun was down, we made us on our way back to the camp...our sunset drive vehicle was a big one. I guess for about 30 people. We drove offroad and wanted to cross a small dry riverbed, when we got stucked in the mud..... A few minutes later our ranger got the vehicle out of the mud, but we couldn´t move forward, so we had to turn and drive the whole way back.
Our lady ranger said that this will takes more time than expected,....so we will arrive later than planned!!

:big_eyes: That means no dinner, because the Restaurant at Olifants would be closed at that time!!!! :doh:

BUT, that should not have been the only problem!!!!!!! :naughty:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next