Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 3 of 3
 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:12 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

The show goes on! :lol:

At 04:30 i started my run to Balule. Near the camp i could see for a short moment a hare. I took the main road H1-6 and hoped to see again the hyenas, and right i got them. Cool! Little bit later 1st ellie of the day. Wildebeest and many zebras on the way. Than a baby buff
and for my first time a stop at the Tropic Of Capricorn. Short break and a pic of my best buddy on the monument.
Again ellies and the scenic Bowkerskop, passing Mopani at 07:00 and maked a rest at Mooiplas. By leaving the car i hear a dog barking. A dog? Than cames the dog, a bushbuck. Im a little bit irrated in the first time. At the lookout some nice birds and then leaving with a :yaya: to the bushbuck.
Ellies on the way and at 08:20 the 1st Impies of this day. Unbelievable late. Near to Letaba a new highlight, bikers. Ranger.
Then the 1st stressing thing at Letaba, ATM doesn't work. So i decide to go to Ba-Phalaborwa. Also i could buy some fresh things. Typical game and an ellie with only 1 tusk. On the way back i took the S131, seeing a leopardturtle, and between S96
and H1-5 an Big Tusker.
I tooked the S46, S93 to Olifants, many game. At 15:15 i arrived at Olifants to check in for Balule. 1 km before i arrived at Balule vultures crossing the sky.
At 16:11 i arrived at Balule. A nice guy opened the gate. The gate is the whole day closed and must be opened for all guests. I have hut No. 6, direct to the fence. The hut is small but ok. After this long day i decide to relax and make pasta for dinner. Its a very quite and lovely place.
This would be the DAY!
I leave the camp at 05:30 and go on the S89 and its cold. A lovely day starts with 7 hyenas short before the Ngotso waterhole. There i can watch fighting hippopotamus
and over the hippos in their sleeping tree fighting baboons. Over S46 (Ellie) and S93 (Turtle) i drive to Olifants. I need fuel and water and sit for a while over the Olifants. On the sighting board could i read that on the H1-4 a leopard was seen. So i go to the H1-4.
10:00 i see on the left site of the road a car standing. Many other cars passing this car without reducing the speed. But i reduce and look a little bit more to the car. Hmmm? Looks like a birder ;-) Image
, should i go? In this moment the guy in the car turned to me and sayed with a smile to me: "Do you want to see a Leopard?" "!?!?!?" "I will drive away now and than you must stand on my place and when you look down in the bush you will see him." And he drove away and i went on his place. And really, LEOPARD! My 1st Leopard in the free nature. When i now write this, again i feel this amazing moment and i became cold and hot at the same time.
The leopard lays in the bush, it seems he wants to relax in the shadow. You could only see the Leopard from my place, the other 3-4 cars that now stops had no chance. After some pics (not really good threw the bush) i decide to give others a smile on their face and i moved back for 10 meters.
It gave me a great satisfy to see the other people when they discover the Leopard in the bush. And its no problem to see when they get the cat! Happy faces are so nice! And all came to me and said thank you. And i felt great. ;-) After a few minutes leo decided to go and i drove back to Balule with an icecold Castle in the hand. Only 1 Castle, you know, dont drink and drive.
In the afternoon i took the S90 / Old Main Road. Many game like zebras and impalas, blue wildebeest and duiker.
The area is very green and lots of yellow flowers. Very scenic and lovely. Highlights on this road are 2 white rhinos and a black-backed jackal.
Also a bateleur, kori bustard and some vultures and warthogs and Kleine Streifenschwalbe.
To finish the day i took a quick ride on the S89 to the Hippo Pool.
Short before the Balule Camp i saw a lonely hyena resting near the road. In the camp two ladies, they drove behind me, asked me if i saw the hyena cub. Argh, $&?*%.
When i worked at the braai, i looked up and saw a hyena directly in the eyes. Only 2 meters and the fence between us. Cool! My TV programme for this evening is a great moon in a clear sky. Excellent view.

Early Morning Wake Up Call! I leave Balule at 04:33, i must wait for the Gatekeeper ;-), on the S89 i saw some teen ellies and on H1-4 a baby ellie.
Also general game and at Engelhard 3 ground hornbills. On S94 on the way to Letaba Bridge a yellow mongoose and grey heron, on the H1-6 birds, i think ibis and masked weaver.
On the bridge not much action, but a good chance to stretch the legs and move some minutes. Before i leave to Letaba a couple stopped and told me that 6 km on the H1-6 after the bridge lions were. So i change my direction and hurry up. And right i found them laying in grass and relaxing. Thanks to this nice pair.
On the way back to Balule i must stop for a big herd of ellies and suddenly i stand in the group. But they were very peaceful. Also great vultures and i came close to a big tusker and saw a jackal. When i chilled in the camp i becam an interestening visit at the fence. A group of ellies. Very nice.
On the afternoon trip i saw an idiot that leaves his car for a better pic. I will send the pic to the gallery of shame. Many general game and a little croc on the road, kudu, daily turtle, hyena laying and her cub drinking. Kori bustard, warthog and glowworm at the fence. When i write my report to DB 2 hyenas, later 4 came to the fence. 2 of them, i think teenager , stay for more than 3 hours at the fence.

To be continued

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:39 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

3 Nights Balule ending now. I leave Balule at 04:40.
After 4 km i met hyenas, tawny eagle and vultures. A very scenic drive on the S90 / Old Main Road in the sunrise. Eagles, zebras, ellies and CGF on their morning work. Oh, vulture and jackal and what lays on the Road? Oh a lion. What a great posing. All this for 15 minutes for me alone. Than he decided to leave the place. The jackals and the vultures are looking for the prey, i have no good sighting, but it could be a small giraffe (not sure).
Then i leave the S90 and go on the S41 / Gudzani Road. Again a leopard turtle and before Gudzani East hyenas with prey in her mouth. Some good pics.
Gudzani is a very scenic place. Very lovely, the beautifulst place in KNP with a black crake.
I take a break at N'wanetsi and at Sweni. Some little critters and nice birds.
On the S37 / Trichardt Road i saw a Gabelracke and fighting kudus.
S35 and S32 looks like a sculpture garden with all these white trunks. Not much game, it goes hotter. Orpen Dam nice and at 11:00 Tshokwane for an early lunch. From Nkumbe i saw 3 rhinos. Also piggies, ellies, kudu and the KNP-Helicopter on my way. At 13:30 arrived TE a little bit tired at Lower Sabie.
Afternoon session with ellies, birds, impies and ostrich and at Sunset lovely hippos.
Typical KNP Dinner, braai.
At all, first I thought when I saw the new LS - where is my beloved honeymoon LS? This was on my last stay 2000. Seeing the empty old shop & restaurant makes me :( but after a draught & a tequila i love the new LS The restaurant deck is very nice.

This morning I drove the H4-1 to Skukuza. On the way Saddle-billed stork, pied kingfisher baboons
and than under a tree in the bush at the S76 a group of ellies standing and the kids ar lieing and sleeping and all is very quiet. And more and more ellies arrive at this place. Its a little bit mysterious for me. I drove on and at the H12 bridge lots of hyenas are on the roard. They all sniffing, running nervous right and left, make noises and sniffing. Again mysterious for me. This hyenabehavior and the elliebehavior, could there be a connection? I would think there was an elliebaby born this morning, next day i saw a babyellie.
Skukuza in the late morning. It was very quiet (for Skukuza). I think it was a good idea to put the day visitors area out. In the shop was a little bit action, but many staff to handle the business. I take a look to the Cambell Hut. Very nice, especially the old products and pricelists. After this i go to the library to the Picture Show. Great pics. Very special, also the other things there. Thanks to the forummember (forget who) who gives the tip. Sometimes you must do like tourists do, so i bought some postcards in the shop and cool water and leave Skukuza to the Maroela Loop. Now i saw white stork, waterbuck, wildie with cub and piggies.
Now its get hotter and i decide to go back to LS. A few km before Sunset Dam an big elliebull blocked +-30 cars for about 30min. It seemed that the ellie had a lot of fun, but not the drivers. But then ellie decided to go to the bush and leves the road.
On my afternoon rodeo i took the Salitjie Road. Today it`s very hot and only regular game like ellies to see. Ok, a big group of ellies passing the road in front of me. It looks like the ellie patrol in Disneys Djungle Book.
17:00 on the opposite of the waterhole i see 2 cars parking. Why do they do this ;-) Ah 6 lions resting in the grass. Cute! I stay there till 17:46, then i think it`s time to go. Which direction is the shorter way? And sure, i took the wrong direction to Skukuza :-( At the bridge i`m at 18:00, and damn`the sign says 30km to LS. What should i do. Ok, you are right. Remember the: The woman at the barrier gaves me a paperbag for the litter (i love this) and opened the barrier with the words:"Dont speeding." from the top of the report? §$%&?* I´m the last car on the road, no car in front or behind me. And luckily or should i say badly (would be than a good excuse) no road blocking from ellies, buffs i.e. and no impies or baboons on the road.
18:25, i think 0,5km to Sunset Dam, i could see the last car leaving Sunset Dam, i think pooh, im in time no problems at the gate. Oh no, dreams came true, from the left site (river site) a beautiful leopard stepped on the road. Oh yeah, brakes, getting the camera, try to catch a pic (it`s now beginning to go darker). Leopard only crosses the road to go in the bush. Argh, put the reverse gear in, tried again to get a picture. Yippie, bye bye leo.
At 18:30 the happiest man arrived at LS. I´m the last, direct behind me the guard closed the gate.
Very proud went i to the sightings board and pinned very carefully the Leopard Pin in. Some Castle and water in the shop and back to the parking place and drive to my hut. I take a wonderful shower and have a nice talk to my neighbour. Whooommm! A big thunder storm. Power down for 1 hour and no cell phone for the rest of the night. Really interestening are the Saffie campers, when the power goes down they didn't stop their braaiing, talking or drinking. For them, it looks like nothing happened. ;-) In germany the most people will run and try something.
To complete the day i just finished a lekker buffet at restaurant. Rand 100, very good service, very good food selection. The best was the Greek Salad.

04:30 up for the last full KNP day. §$%&* The fine for speeding, a flat tyre. Where is the handbook? How get i the 5th tyre out of the box? After 40 minutes i'm ready to go.
I decide to go down to Croc Bridge. "Common" game, nice hippos at Gezantfombi and breakfast at Croc Bridge in the morning sun. On the way i saw for a short moment a lioness in the S28. I turned in, but i couldn't see her again. But i drove now the road. Many giraffes and wildies. I visit Nhlanganzwani, hippos and some birds. Than Duke. No action. When i will leave a movement. On a tree climbs a leguan.
On the S137 many birds like mating tawny eagles, vultures and others.
Before LS again the elliebull blocking the road ;-)
For my afternoon trip i go to Lake Panic. Very scenic place with cool Riedscharben and other birds.
On the way back ground hornbills, eagles, black korhaan and more. I took the S30 / Salitje Road. I hope to see again the lions. But they are not here. At the turn off to the S29 i saw some ellies with kids right in the bush. With small ones. And a baby. Cool. Oh, more ellies. And more and they come in my direction. Oops. And some looks very critically to me. I think i go a little bit back. Oops, behind me more ellies. Ellies everywhere, i think Jazil will love this ;-)
But nothing happened. After a few minutes all ellies passed the road and i drove also away. A few meters later right in the bush 2 ellies fighting. Fighting? Whats that. Oh oh love.
Than came a KNP car. The staff member told me that 5 km away are lions. Thanks and go. Yeah, lions on the left site.
But its time to go back to LS. I take fuel, castle and meat and have my last braai in KNP.

Last morning in KNP, i leave LS at 04:50. After a few minutes i saw an Opel Corsa with 2 men and a woman in there. They had a problem with the brakes. So i give them my help and carried the woman back to LS to organize help. And yes, i think everybody would do this help. It is usual.
Lost about 30 minutes, but it`s ok. New start to Crocodile Bridge. Not many action on the way, but i saw 2 ellies and a buff.
And than came a ground hornbill on the road, very close to my car and posed for some pics.
By shooting the pics i note in the corner of my eye action. On the other site of the road all impalas running in one direction. And right, they are on the scene. 3 male lions, walking like only lions walk.
I give a sign to the car on the site to watch at their back. They had missed the lions without my sign. With a big smile they said thx to me. The sighting was not the best, much bush and a little bit to far, but a great farewell from KNP.
At the Croc Bridge Gate i saw a real big piggie and than it`s time to say good bye to KNP. .-(

General Statement:
Excellent staff at all places.
The shops are good, also the smaller ones like in Punda Maria or Olifants.
I was never bored and that by travelling alone.
All accommodation are very clean, also the toilets and communal kitchen
I love the swimming pools, its a great joy
Different weather conditions, sun, many sun and over 35 degrees on my way to Pafuri, rain and cold with a maximum of 18 degrees on my way to Shingwedzi, so don't forget long trousers and pullover.

Bad things:
only a few, like the dead snake and the dead mole on the road
the closed loops after the rain, i know its for my own safety

The trip was fantastic!

Off Topic: On the way threw Swaziland to KZN all the time rain. Highlights in KZN one wild dog, 2 porcupines, bush pig, a bushbaby and a civet. And swimming in the ocean. After 5 days i leaved via JoBurg. Bad flight, many air holes and i`m really sad about leaving RSA.
Arrived in Berlin on the 27th at 09:00. SNOW! Lots of snow :-(

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3