Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 2 of 3
 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:34 am 

Hot off the cellphone!!!!!

Quote:
LOG! YEAH!

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:12 pm 

From TE this evening:

Quote:
Oh Happy Day!! Early morning 7 hyenas on S89. Fighting hippos & fighting baboons & fighting impies. Ellies & turtle S46 S93.

At Olifants look at sightboard. Leo at H1-4. Try it. Car on the side. Looked like a birder J He showed me the LOG! Tnx! Will u see other smile? Stop them & give them a chance to see. Me was hot & cold in 1 moment. Took a Castle from the cooler to cool me up. In the afternoon more?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:14 pm 

2nd part:

Quote:
Going on S90 vulture & eagle. Lot of zebra & impies. Some wildies & small bucks. Very green & yellow flowers all over. Lovely! 2 white rhinos! Then went back. Jackal. Vulture & others. Small lonely elliebull close by. Single hyena laying by the road. Others told me in camp, saw cubs close by :(

Braai :D Look up and see hyena 2 meters in front of me.

Morning was cold. Where my tides? Now clear sky. Great moon! Love Balule! Wish you a good night!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:07 pm 

TE's report received earlier this evening:

Quote:
Morning 6km north from Letaba bridge 8 lions. Later near Balule I stand in a big group of ellies with lots of kids. Great vultures, very close to tusker. Jackal, ellies at fence, little croc on road, kudu, idiot leaving car, daily turtle, hyena & cub drinking. Kori, lightworm (glowworm). Last night, very warm and many moonlight. Ah and 1 piggie! Now castle time. Tomorrow LS. Oh, 2 hyena passing.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:17 pm 

TE's report in this afternoon:

Quote:
Leaving B at 4:40. After 4km hyenas & vulture. Very scenic drive in sunset. Zebras & CGF. Ellie. Lion on road & jackals & vultures discussing. All on S90.

S41: Leopardturtle, 0,5km before Gudzani east hyenas with meat in their mouth. S37 fighting kudu. Road looks like a way through a sculptured garden. Orpen Dam nice again. Now leaving Tshokwane, best place I ever seen was Gudzani!

On the road again & 3 rhino from Nkumbe. YR now arrived in LS.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:47 pm 

Just received this from TE - I assume more is to follow:

Quote:
Yesterday afternoon not much happened. Best was Sunset Dam. But why are parents so stupid & let their kids on car roof? Hippo action was great!

At all, first I thought when I saw new LS - where is my beloved honeymoon LS? This was on my last stay 2000. Seeing the empty old shop & restaurant makes me :( but after a draught & a tequila I love the new LS :wink:

This morning I drove the H4-1 to Skukuza. On the way baboons....

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:07 pm 

The second half has arrived!!!!

Quote:
Near the H12 bridge I found in a bushhide a lot of elliebabies laying and sleeping. Wonder me. At bridge were many nervous & smelling hyenas. Skukuza was very quiet. On my way back ellie bull blocked 30 cars for 30min.

For afternoon rodeo I went to Salitjie. Only hot & regular game like ellie. Ah, 2 cars at waterhole & yes, 6 cats. Lions! great! Uh - 17:46. Have you ever tried the 30 km from H12 bridge to LS in 30 mins? You hope that there is no impie or baboon in the way. 18:25, 0.5km from Sunset Dam. I'm in time. Oh no! Dreams could be came true!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Leopard crosses the road! Unbelievable! Could get some, hopefully, good pictures. The happiest man arrived at 18:30 at LS gate :D and to complete the day I just finished a lekker buffet at restaurant.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:18 am 

TE has just sent this sms:

Quote:
Last night & a thunderstorm. No connection.

Todays sightings: 2 times lion, piggie, baboons with ground hornbills. A group of over 50 ellies, many kids. 1 baby from a few days, leguaan, eagles, vultures, mating ellies like war & love.

Now I write some Christmas cards and tomorrow leaving through Croc Bridge and then drive through Swazi to Hluhluwe Imfholozi. Think I need a holiday :wink: Bye TE.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:20 am 

I have just received this from TE - it will be his last report until he logs on himself:

Quote:
Now the report for the last morning, 18th: leave camp at 4:50 after a few minutes I meet a car with probelms. No brakes. I brought 1 girl back to LS for help. Starting again, 2 ellies, 1 buff. Ground hornbill posing for some close pics on the road. Hey! Why run all impies in 1 direction? 3 lions. At gate big piggie. The end :(

Off topic - Rain through Swazi. H-1 many rhinos, 1 WD.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:03 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

DinkyBird wrote:

Quote:
LOG! YEAH!

Appetizer:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:26 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Oumie wrote:
Toddelelfe wrote:
Appetizer:
[img]...[img]

Seen it on the S100 :?: :wink:

H1-5? I'm a little bit irritated. In my KNP Visitor Map on 1 site H1-4 on the other H1-5 :shock:
Main Road between H8 (to Olifants Rest Camp) and S91 (to Balule)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:08 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

DinkyBird wrote:
Toddelelfe wrote:
DinkyBird wrote:

Quote:
LOG! YEAH!

Appetizer:
[url]...[/url]

How long 'til the main course :wink: We need those pics!!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:04 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Toddelelfe goes to Marakele
Leaving in the morning Bela Bela /Warmbath. After a quiet trip of about 130km and a break in Thabazimbi I arrived at 8:45 at the Gate. Very quiet, the guard at the gate, the cleaning woman and the woman at reception were all people there.
They were all very friendly, and the woman at the reception gave me good explanations. After buying the Wildcard and getting the permit, what takes +- 15 minutes, I went to the toilet. Thought, it could be the last chance for a while. Notice to all, there are no other facilities at the gate. No shop, curious, restaurant i.e.
Then I drove to the gate. I love it , to fill in all the formularies in SA. Ok, the guard filled up the most. I signed and gate opened.
No beer, no music, but opened all windows and smelling and hearing and seeing. I feel home! At this moment it became to be hot there. But im clever enough to take a big bottle of water with me. But I forget the ashtray. So I took the box from the films.
And now starting to found the game. All roads in the main section of Marakele are gravelled. I took the junction left, and the 1st sighting. Around a lot of dung, perhaps Rhino, I saw a Dung Beetle, trying do his work.
Not a clever boy, I think. Ran there and there and least he falls on his back. Oh silly boy. I couldn`t see this dramatic action, so I leave the place.
On the next 2 km I saw some Piggies (very nervous and shy) and some Impies. And a lonely male Baboon running very fast across the road and hiding behind some bushes. Then I saw a Blue Wildebeest.Great for the 1st 30min.
Than I came to the fence and drove up the fence on my left. The area has many bushes, some trees and you could not look at any times deep in the bush. Also many parts of the park has burned, but there came a lot of fresh green up. And the night before it had be rained. Lots of small pools in road holes.
Then, whats that? Oh Rock Monitor on the Road. He what does he? Moves into a hole, makes and was never seen again.
Leaving the fence and went in the middle of the park, saw Red Hartebeest Edit: Tsessebe
and Impies. Very quiet but beautiful. Then I came to the picnic spot. Here I saw the first other car in the park. Two Ladies having their break there. We are talking about our sightings. They had seen yesterday 8 / eight Rhinos. Whow. I eat some fruits and cakes and walked around the picnic spot. In the back of the place are some basic toilets. And then I saw threw bushes again running baboons. These are not KNP - Baboons. No chance for a pic. Seeing many centipedes on the ground, nice birds in the trees (don’t ask for names)
and a Gecko. And it was hot.
Then I leaved the place and came to the open plain area. Looks a little bit like the open places in Serengeti I saw on tv. Very nice, lovely, one of my favourite places. Than I saw a little antelope. I think a Duiker. Not sure. I will later post the pic, for your help to id.
And really like Serengeti, many Zebras and Black Wildebeest. Also Red Hartebeest with baby. And many Impies and Piggies. And a lovely group of Kudu.
Then I decided to go back to the gate. There is near by a 2nd section of the park. All roads there are only accessible by 4x4, but the road to The Towers is tarred and could drive with a normal sedan. The Woman at the gate warned me, if I be scared about the heights I better will not go. But I will try it.
At 15:00 I arrived at this Gate. Only one guard there, a normal fencegate. If I see correct in the list of the guard, im the visitor of the day! Behind a 2nd sedan. The road is really small, but in good condition. No problem to drive. Ups and down, lovely, green landscape. Looks like the â€Â

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:12 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

First 2 nights of 11 in the famous KNP! :yaya:

Yellow ribbon arrived at 15:00 at Punda Maria Gate.
Image Image
Quick check in. All people there very helpful. The woman at the barrier gaves me a paperbag for the litter (i love this) and opened the barrier with the words:"Dont speeding." First stop was at the center of the local people. Nice place and friendly people. I couldnt buy any curious, because i have no space in my suitcase. On the parking place i saw a Gecko.
But its very loud in the park. In the bush, i think, there must sit billions of insects and make big scratching noises. Unbelievable.
On the way to S98 i saw very close 3 tawny eagles.
On the S98 a crested francolin and grey lorie. No more action. Very dry many parts of this area. On the way grey duiker, steenbok and impala.
At 17:00 i checked in at Punda Maria Camp. Also very helpful people. I get the Safari Tent No. 3, very nice place to stay. Throw my things on the bed and leave at 17:45 camp for a short run on the Mahonie Loop.
From Camp coming i turned left in the Mahonie Loop. Very nice and scenic road. About 3 km after the camp i saw on the right site a male lion. Could be 200 meters away from me.
At the water hole on the left i saw some nice birds and a fresh water turtle. on the way back to the camp i saw close to the camp a group of baboons in the bushes running. A good beginning for my KNP adventure.
For dinner i made pasta with a vegetable-garlic-tomato soup. And some Castle. Than again the insects starts to "sing". And when they finished hyenas began with their chorus. I love it!

I leaved PM at 4:33 and i went again left into the Mahonie Loop. At the Waterhole i saw again lovely Birds. Also a big snail on the road
and impies. Also clossy starling and grey toko. After the Matukwale Dam i saw some nyala. Than the 3rd Big 5 sighting of my holiday, 2 buffalos. At 8:00 i came back to PM for a quick brekkie.
8:20 on the way to Pafuri Picnic Spot. 1 km behind the gate i saw a big marabou stork on the tarred Road.
On the Klopperfontein Loop i saw +- 20 buffs, burchell's zebras, a red buck, a lone elephant (4th Big 5) and nice red flowers. At Klopperfontein Dam i saw lovely egyptian goose and dragonflies and again an ellie. On the H1-8 nothing happened. It goes hotter and hotter and the area was very, very dry. Only some Baboons are to seen and at the floodlevel sign near the Luvuvhu i saw a lone nyala with baboons under a tree.
At 12:00 i came to Pafuri Picnic Spot, but there were no Frank. I only could see a malachite kingfisher flying over the river. And a male nyala for a drink.When i want to go, Calvin gives me a sign to come to him. And than he showed me bathing ellies in the river.
How nice. When the ellies leaves the water, i also wanted to go. But we heard another ellie in the bush. It could be a big bull sayed Calvin. He asked me to wait till he went in his house. Perhaps it could be that the ellie does not let him in and i could be the last visitor for the day. No problem and after a few minutes Calvin was safe.
Now i runs the S63. And here lots of game. Stunning. The Fevertree Forest is beautiful and all around waterbucks, baboons,
vervet monkeys, impalas and babies,
nyalas, kudus, zebras, crocodiles, Senegalliest kingfisher and pied kingfisher.
At 14:00 i arrived at Crooks Corner. Much water and some birds like yellow billed egret.
On the way back to PM i saw on H1-8 now more Game and Birds, highlight an Ellie having a bath and splashing
and a Witwenente.
Also a sharpe's grysbok.
Im back at 16:00 and tried the trail in the camp. Interestening insects and the scratching critters.
And than it begins to rain. Rain? Without clouds? Oh no, the critters starts to pee or something like this. I decide to leave the trail very quick.
I took a look to the camping area and the nice pool than i went up to my tent. When i took my small dinner i saw in the far flashes. Then came wind, much wind and thunder and rain. Many rain. A real big thunderstorm.
When i lay in the bed i heard a noise. Like water dipping on the floor. And right in the showerroom came water threw the roof. And the roof had a big curve from all the water on it. So im a little bit scared for the moment if the roof could rip. So i tried to move the roof up to let the water came down. And this wars very heavy, but i heard the water falling outside splashing on the floor. And this did i for the whole night. What an eperience. Also now i realised water came under the door in the tent. Amazing.

After the action of the night i oversleept a little bit this morning. I leaved PM at 7:30. Rain and all is wet. Many water in the bush. I took the H13-1. On the way i noticed that all loops are closed of the water.
Between S58 and H1-8 i saw a frog
and black birds. Than i turned on the H1-8. On the H1-7 blocked 3 buffs for more than 15 minutes the road.
Than i saw close to the road the first giraffes near to zebras.
Only rhe road between S57 and N´warihlangari was open to the S56. So i tried it. But in both directions came after a few km blocking threw water or mud. At one i think i could try threw. Idiot. With lot of luck i could go back off the mud.
But the small part of the S56 i saw was very productive. Tons of birds like owl, fish eagle, yellow billed hornbill, saddle-billed stork, dwarf mungoose, tree squirrels Impies and others. Very good.
Than i went back to H1-7. At bridge over the Nkulembeni stood an ellie in the river, only 2 meters from my car. No danger, he in the river i on the bridge, cool.. Than he decided to go up and cross the road and now i saw close by a 2nd.
After the Shingwedzibridge i met a group of vervet monkeys. When i arrived at Shingwedzi at 12:00 the rain stopped. I checked in, throw again my bags on the bed and take a break.
At 13:30 i leaved SW threw the main gate and took on the left the S135. There i saw wonderful marabou stork, about 10 all in one lane. Also a big herd of giraffes and impies.
I finished the day with a braai pack from the shop and a little bit of castle.

To be continued :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:21 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

After the Shingwedzibridge i met a group of Vervet Monkeys. When i arrived at Shingwedzi at 12:00 the rain stopped. I checked in, throw again my bags on the bed and take a break.
At 13:30 i leaved SW threw the main gate and took on the left the S135. There i saw wonderful Marabou, about 10 all in one line.
Also a big herd of giraffes and Impies.
I finished the day with a braai pack from the shop and a little bit of castle.

After the short last night, my body decided to have longer sleep. So i left SW 06:25 over the SWbridge. Left the S55 is mine. Scenic road. Many Impies with babies at the beginning. At the 1st lookout to the river i saw a ground hornbill in a tree, goliath heron, Neuntöter, white stork, hadeda.
On the H1-7 i saw 3 buffs.
Than giraffes and zebras close to the road.
The Mphongolo Loop is only passable like yesterday. So i took the same part. No, without trying the mudhole! Again many nice birds like goliath heron, Neuntöter, white stork, hadeda, Kardinalsspecht, Weißstirnbienenfresser, impies, yellow mongoose, bateleur, ground hornbill, bee weaver and a Lion Spur. After that i tried S57, but i could only go to the Bridge to Sirheni. It doesn't need a no entry sign. Water flooded the bridge and tourists, staff and ranger stood on the other site and looked not happy, no chance to cross. Waterbucks, nyala, zebra with red-billed oxpeckers, croc, baboons mating, crowned guineafowl and so on

In the Afternoon i tried a piece of the S50 Kanniedood Road. No action, a little bit boring, so after 20 km i decide to go back and chilled for the rest of the day in the camp. Watching the Vervet Monkeys and bee weavers at the restaurant and the squirrels around the trees and reading my book.

Ahh! Sun is back! Leaving the camp at 05:30 threw the back gate. At the junction to the S134 / Shingwedzi i meet a lot of Baboons and Impies. The regular troop of Baboons. On the S134 a fresh water turtle and "normal" game.

The loops are closed again so i go to H1-7 to Babalala. I read on the sightinhgs board about leopard there.
Between S56 and S53 a herd of Buffs, at the Nkulumbeni a beautiful fisheagle, after this a red duiker and on the road a dead little critter, couldn't identify (common mole rat).

Some regular game and an ellie. At Babalala no leopard and the S56 closed, damn. So i went back to SW, seeing ostrich, bateleur, yellow billed egret and duiker. A nice morning.

In SW i joined the very nice pool and chilled.
In the late afternoon i go on a Sunset Drive. Only 3 twens joined the ride with me. First i think they couldn't be the right persons for that. They looked like these not interested people, but wrong, they were very interested and asked many good questions. And our driver gives us many explanations and drives very carefully, so it was a nice ride. Highlights the martial eagle on a rock monitor carcass and the young hyenas near to the street on H1-6, 3 km before Joao.

After returning i decided to dip again in the pool. Great! A lekker braai finished another good day in paradise.

To be continued.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next