Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 2 of 2
 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: 47 hrs 45 mins and 24 secs in the KTP
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:36 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

We continued along the Auob and we continued to enjoy the “nothingness” of the Kalahari. :D It truly was a beautiful afternoon though and yet again I could not resist photographing that dinky little house at Auchterlonie. I just love that house and if I lived way back when I think I would have been very happy in that little stone house !

Apologies :roll: …. but I just love the grass and skies going up the hill to Auchterlonie as well

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:45 pm 

We had company up at Auchterlonie…but not the human kind…note the Wildebeest in the background.

We had a quick break and started the journey back to camp……

Did I mention that I love that little stone house ….. :D :wink:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:58 pm 

All of a sudden there seemed to be wildebeest everywhere...and were those storm clouds brewing. :hmz:

Even the “ nothingness of the Kalahari is beautiful

and more wildebeest

And a flash of green…

And some more flashes of green

I could have played with those little bee-eaters all evening but there was a small matter of a “gate closing” that needed attending to….. :evil:

As I mentioned earlier it was a beautiful afternoon in the Kalahari :dance:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:09 am 

Thanks agin everybody for the wonderful and humorous comments. :D :D :D
I must admit I really do enjoy wide open spaces and "nothingness"...and if you just happen to see cheetah kill..oh well that is just the cherry on the top. :clap: I had seen plenty of awesome "nothingness" on our 21 days travelling through Namibia...there are many of those places that I need to visit again but there is just something about the "nothingness" of the Kalahari that just grabs hold of you and does not let go...ever!

Working on the next episode..hopefully up later today or this evening.. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:54 pm 

7 May
06h00

There goes that dreaded alarm again…. :slap:
And it soon dawned on me that it was our last day in the park…our last game drive coming up. The last time that we would be packing up the rooftop tent….. as a matter of fact…it was the pretty much the last of an epic 3 week journey. Oh well...no good moaning….just get up and see what the Kalahari has to offer us on our “ last” game drive. :D

07h00

All packed up and ready waiting to exit the gate.
We decided to give Leeudril a miss and go via the dune road to Auchterlonie and back. Of course we detoured to Samevloeiing to check for that non-existent leopard….well guess what it remains non-existent !!!! :twisted:

The sun rising over the beautiful ”nothingness” of the Kalahari

My eye spotted a lonely Namaqua Dove…such a pretty bird and I have yet to get a decent photo of one. :roll:

But wait..what is that..stop!
The cutest of Whistling Rats saying his morning prayers !

I had noticed many Wattled Starlings flying around. Very energetic they were and difficult to get on camera but I managed to spot two that were battling to wake up...shame I know how they feel !!!

At last a Pale Chanting Goshawk..they had been few and far between on this trip. :shock: Even this one had to take off ...and the light was not in my favour.

We were just on our way when I saw some flashes of green...oh yes they were the right flashes of green and this time they were sitting in the sunlight. Yesterday’s bee-eaters were intent on playing in the shade. Today they put on a show in the sunlight……. :dance:

Thank goodness the birds flitted away otherwise I would still be sitting there. :lol:
We continued towards Auchterlonie …

8 mins down the road I was yelling “Stop …Bird !” again.
I really couldn’t believe my good fortune when I spotted this bird….and it posed so beautifully. Normally this Common Scimitarbill is described as a black bird with a long curved beak…well I beg to differ. He is beautiful when the sun shines on him.

Not too be outdone a Fork-tailed Drongo put in an appearance

And then a Common Fiscal
Omw…the birds sure were keeping me entertained.

Last edited by Caracal on Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:18 pm 

We continued towards Auchterlonie. There were a few cars parked at Kamfersboom. The culprits that caused this slight traffic jam were these two cheetahs….but heck they were so far away. You will just have to believe me when I say that there are two cheetahs lying down in the following photo.

Apparently they had walked up to the waterhole, had a good long drink and had settled quite far up the dune.

We sat with them for a few minutes but they really looked like they were going nowhere for a very long time.

Hah !! another bird. This time a Juvenile Black-chested Snake –eagle. Although he was a fair distance away I could not resist taking his photo…commonly known as "delaying tactics" !!!!

Something new to us were all the Greater Kestrels flying around . There were many of them all scurrying around on the ground eating what I think were locusts….yay !!! :dance: I am not too fond of locusts and show no remorse when watching them being eaten. :wink: The birds were very busy so much so that I was unable to catch them on camera. Apart from the following one that was having a rest from eating.

We eventually arrived at Auchterlonie…it was a beautiful morning.

This cute squirrel was very interested in us but he did not give the impression that he wanted some of our breakfast.

And final photo up at Auchterlonie..did I mention that I love that little stone house. :wink:
I wasn’t sure if I had a photo of the stone house from this angle so I thought I had better take one just in case…I think this is also commonly known as “delaying tactics !!! “ :redface:

Eventually one has to admit that it is time to leave :cry: and we started the final stretch back to camp.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:29 pm 

Back at Kamfersboom the cheetahs had not moved much...except one of them was now sitting up….

Another Black-chested Snake-eagle..or was it the same one we had seen earlier ???

And yet another…this one was a bit shy though.

And some more flashes of green…

But I knew I really had to be sensible now…although we were not travelling all the way to Cape Town that day we still had a fair way to drive. I bade the pretty green birds farewell….

A final look at Samevloeiing...no leopard in sight of course :evil: but I was quite happy to watch these Cape Teals instead.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:41 pm 

If you remember at the beginning of my report I said that Twee Rivieren had run out of petrol …well at

..we had a big oops !!!

Luckily we were not too far from camp… :D

But had the petrol tanker arrived in the time that we had been out on our drive ??????

Our luck was in…
:thumbs_up: After filling up and a quick stop at the loo

Wait wait wait..stop Dear!!!!!!
For heavens sake Monty is stopped..what now ???
Bird ..bird ….over there.
Grab camera …and yes one more bird for my list :dance:

A Groundscraper Thrush

And finally

…. all good things come to an end.

We continued on our way to Calvinia where we would be overnighting.

By the time we got back to Cape Town we had travelled 7 279 km. :shock: We had been roaming around for 23 days and we had had some really interesting (wet :big_eyes: ) moments. Monty had not faltered once :dance: and we had picked up some interesting comments along the way !!! :hmz: But the highlight of our entire trip was entering South Africa through the back door. :dance: Namibia is a fabulous country and I was sad to leave but crossing the border into the Kgalagadi was a whole new but brief adventure. Of course the cheetah kill was really the cherry on top :D but even if we had not experienced that our trip of just under 48hrs was amazing to say the least. :dance: :dance:

Thank you again to everybody that has read and commented on my trip report. The wonderful comments do make it a pleasure to write the report and now that this one is done I can catch up on everybody else’s reports !!! :D :D :D

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2