Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 3
 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: ELSA-Autumn leaves & cool starry nights-May 2011
Unread postPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:10 am 

Its that time again, when Klystron, Jock, Scotty and 2 of the bundles plus myself head off on our annual Autumn pilgrimage to Kruger.

Its a lovely time of year and very different to our Feb trip which is so much hotter & greener but also very nice in its own right.

We are only booked in on Sunday but due to all the Swaziland border restrictions now in place where we cannot take meat, milk or any poultry products through we have decided to travel up on Saturday and complete our shopping in Komatipoort on Sunday morning.

Then we head on in and make our way up to Skukuza where we spend out first night and wait for the rest of the family to join us.

Scotty requested a quick trip to the North of the park, he has never been there before due no doubt by all my enthusiasm, so we are doing a whistle stop trip up the park and back down South again.

1 night Skukuza
1 night Letaba
2 nights Shingwedzi, (from where will drive up to Crooks Corner)
1 night Satara

then back down to Ngwenya for 2 weeks where we will take forays into the park on a daily basis.

Tawny & Penny will be posting my sightings for me but I am sure I will drop in from time to time to let you know how we are doing.

So please join us, the more the merrier. :dance:

Post subject: Re: Autumn leaves & cool starry nights
Unread postPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 7:10 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Well just thought I would bid you all a farewell and welcome aboard those that are coming with. As far as the front seat goes vgstephens, I am sure Elsa would not mind you riding up front with her but it will be a squeeze.

Keep fingers crossed Duke shows himself and I would love to see a black rhino in Kruger.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away

Unread postPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:55 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Elsa and party went out on a morning drive yesterday, along the S28, and they saw an exsquisite male lion. Not sure yet what their plans are for today, but am hoping to get some news of awesome sightings to post here.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:44 am 

Thanks for posting the sightings for me Tawny! :D

Sitting here at Ngwenya at present, the weather has been absolutely glorious, warm to hot every day.
The bush is drying out nicely and dying down making sightings much easier.

Had a good day yesterday, carrried on with our Lion a day sighting and saw 4 of the big 5 with a fantastic Rhino sighting, 5 together and the one female chasing an unwanted male away most vigourously.

Tomorrow we will stay here with the 2 bundles while Jock, Scotty and his SO go into the park for the day.

No sighting of Duke yet but we still have time on our side so keeps fingers crossed.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:45 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Spoke with Scotty about a half hour ago and the first animal they see this morning, 2 Male Lions!! What luck they have. Hope this is a good sign of good sightings to come today.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:44 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Pssst! It's Elsa & Klystron's Anniversary today! Hope you have a fabulous day.

They say goodbye to Scotty, SO and grand-daughters (x2) today, and Hello to their other Daughter who is flying in today!

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:29 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Wow, what an amazing trip, despite the lack of Duke :wall: Clearly he did not listen to Elsa when she told him to show himself :rtm: . Anyways, had a wonderful time in paradise with my family and loads of kitties. This is one trip report you do not want to miss. :popcorn:

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:34 pm 

Sorry, but I promise we are getting our ducks and "others" :wink: in a row as quickly as we can but there are just so many.
I have just given Klystron orders to move it up into high gear and top priority! :naughty:
So watch this space and book your place on the bus. :D

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:01 am 

Plenty of room for everyone Flutterby, this bus is very spacious!

again apologies for the delay, but while Jock is still here our time is precious, plus we have so many family and friends commitments and I battle to get enough time to put together a decent first post.
Jock is off to her old stamping ground, Mooi River, tomorrow for 2 days to visit friends and I will definitely make a start and get a couple of posting done then, promise!
So in the mean time, enjoy the time at Biyamiti! 8)

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:44 pm 

Ok, finally, seeing as you have all been so patient while I have been otherwise occupied lets get this bus rolling on out of Biyamiti!
Do hope you all enjoyed your time spent there! 8)

To begin at the beginning,
This one was one of our 2 annual trips to the the park, namely Feb and May/June.

For this trip we were going to accompanied for 2 of the weeks by my one son, who is also a forumite called Scotty and his wife and 2 of my bundles who I talk about frequently and in whom I hope to also instill a love of Kruger and all therein.

Scotty had requested a trip up to the North of the park but didn't want to have to have to take any additional leave than he had already booked partly because of school restrictions of the bundles.

And so it was that that a whistle stop tour was organised, starting in Skukuza, then Letaba, then 2 nights at Shingwedzi which enable us to drive up to Crooks Corner, then Satara and back down South for 2 weeks at Ngwenya Lodge.

The rest of the party consisted of Jock, Klystron and myself.

22nd May - Croc Bridge to Skukuza

After finalising our shopping in Komatipoort the moment arrived when we finally crossed the bridge, got to the new gate, attached the yellow ribbon, unpacked cameras, binocs etc breathed a huge sigh and entered the park. :D

The weather was sunny and clear with the temp at 22.5

We immediately started counting off the animals and birds seen, Hornbills, Elephants, Wildebeest, Zebra, Warthogs, and so the list went on.

Southern White-crowned Shrike taking the honours for the first pic.

ImageLarge

Then a trio of Warthogs busily grazing next to the road.

ImageLarge

This Elephant who had clearly had a nice sand bath grabbed out attention.

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

Next up is a beautiful Male Kudu who was finding lunch irresistible.

ImageLarge

Then in the Sabie river not too far from Lower Sabie we spied this Leucistic Giraffe quenching his thirst.

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

No, you can't hide from us, we see you! :D

ImageLarge

Then a quick drive over the bridge at Lower Sabie where the local Baboon brigade are on duty.

This has to be called "Ouch" :shock:

ImageLarge

"Look at me, I am just being sooo good" 8)

ImageLarge

After a quick stop off in Lower Sabie for something to drink we head on up and of course have to make a stop off at
Sunset Dam

ImageLarge

Then this Grey Hornbill was posing way to well to ignore so onto the list he goes!

ImageLarge

and a Rhino having a little siesta at the lovely N'watimhiri pan where we had such great sightings throughout the
trip, but more about those later. :wink:

ImageLarge

We arrived at Skukuza and settled into our GC4V cottage #222 which overlooked the river and was very nice and comfortable.
The rest of the party was due to arrive shortly.

That night a Hyena patrolled the fence line which we picked up with our spotlight but in the end was a bit sorry as people in the cottage 2 away from us immediately rushed over and threw bones over the fence! :evil:

During the night we head Hyena & Bushbabies calling and also saw a Goliath Heron, Hornbills and Baboons before dark.

and that was pretty much it for the first day,

but don't stray too far from the bus as our second day is hot on the heels of this one with some great sightings. :wink:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:19 pm 

Before we set off for today's ride I would like to thank Bushcraft, Aat, Eliz, Shi, anne-marie, Micetta, Val, Katja, Pumbaa, flying cheetah, Elzet, & Flutterby for not only coming along for the ride but also for the wonderful and encouraging comments. :clap:
Makes me very happy to make you happy! :dance:

Ok where were we, oh yes, sleeping in Skukuza.

23rd May - Skukuza to Letaba

We get up very early, make coffee, (after rejecting the first cup Jock made for me using the cinnamon sugar I had brought for pancakes instead of the plain sugar!) :whistle:

Standing on the verandah munching on biscuits and rusks we watch as the sun rises slowly behind the bridge and the birds and animals all start making themselves heard.

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

Another pic of the view towards the fence from our cottage.

ImageLarge

Then it was packing the car time and out the gate at 7.06am with the temp on 9C

We decided to take the H1-2 over the low level bridges.

Mr Longlegs the Black-winged Stilt

ImageLarge

Next up is a family of Hippos with some fairly young ones.

ImageLarge

Carrying on up the road seeing various animals and birds including a Steenbok, a Duiker, Fish Eagles and many others.

As we approached the Mantimahle Dam turnoff I remarked that we have never seen anything really special there and such a pity one could not get closer to the dam due to their not being any roads leading right up to it when a car stopped us and the driver told us there were Lions there!
so of course down we went.

Also suddenly there are tracks leading right to the dam, now I am not sure if they have been done by the parks people or by the visitors but it does certainly give one a much better view over the dam and surrounds?

We found 2 Lionesses with a couple of cubs, initially lying together and then suddenly the females got up and started staring intently ahead.

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

They left the cubs behind who we couldn't see by this time as the number of cars had increased considerably.

and then split up with the one going off in one direction and other moving more or less straight away from us.
we then noticed a slight movement as a male Impala came into view calmly grazing and we knew the hunt was on.

sneaking through the grass on her belly!

ImageLarge

At this stage we had no idea where the second Lioness has gone.

Now the Impala appears behind the clump of trees and if you look carefully you can just see her ears in the grass.

ImageLarge

None of us even dared breathe and there was dead quiet from all the cars watching as well.

The Impala at this stage was not aware of her at all and they could barely have been a metre or 2 apart.

Then just as we thought we were about to see our first kill one of the cubs stood up or moved and the game was over!

ImageLarge

The Impala became aware of the Lion and gave the alarm signal.

ImageLarge

She immediately stood up, glared the cubs way, one last look at what might have been and started moving back towards us and them.

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

One of the cubs.

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

and settled for a drink instead.

ImageLarge

So after an hour of fascinating entertainment we carried on the journey. :D

A large herd of Zebra must have been spooked by something as they ran across the road in front of us and then suddenly changed their minds and hurtled back again and so this continued with one foal actually slipping on the road fortunately not hurting itself too badly.
We never did get to see what had caused the panic. :?

ImageLarge

After a stop off at Tshokwane for some brekkie we carried on and found a Breeding Herd of Ellies in the dry river bed off the H1-3
They had been digging and found water and were enjoying a nice drink.

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

Mazithi Dam

ImageLarge

Large resident Croc

ImageLarge

I just liked this scene!

ImageLarge

Marheya Waterhole looking more like a mud hole and certainly much less water than we found there in Feb.

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

A nice Ellie

ImageLarge

A peaceful scene of co existing grazers.

ImageLarge

and a Bateleur

ImageLarge

We stopped off at Olifants for lunch on the deck.

The view

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

An Ellie coming down opposite the camp.

ImageLarge

The little ellie water fountain now looking as good as new again!

ImageLarge

and my 2 cute bundles enjoying themselves as well!

ImageLarge

We could not resist these growing outside the reception.

ImageLarge

We then decided to rather than go back to the tar road, take the dirt roads towards Letaba

Lovely scenery along the way.

ImageLarge

an Ellie who thought he could hide from us! :naughty:

ImageLarge

and finally we arrived at Letaba checked into our BD3U chalet # 63 which I had requested and been kindly given.

A quick look at the newly revamped Ellie statue outside the museum looking all beautiful again.

ImageLarge

After unpacking and relaxing with something cold we watched the sun setting over the Letaba River.

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

And that dear friends is Day 2 done and dusted but lots more to come so please no wandering too far away. :D

Last edited by Elsa on Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:22 am 

Thanks again for all the fantastic support and enthusiasm. :clap:

It was a long drive between camps for the bundles but they are 7 & 11 year olds and had plenty in the car to keep them amused and were very good, most of the time! 8)

Quite a funny story was when the older one was in the car with us and we had urged her to try and focus on seeing how much she could spot, for a reward later.
All went well and we were quite impressed with how well she was doing when suddenly she pipes up "OH oh!"
What's wrong we ask? "I think I am losing focus" she answers very worried.
Certainly gave us a good giggle! :lol:

Just to take us back to the first day, hope the driver is good at reversing the bus!

This is a little video clip of the leucistic Giraffe.

I am going to apologise in advance as I am not sure if I will be able to get another episode on in the next day so as the schedule
is looking hectic to say the least.
but I will try, no promises tho.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:00 pm 

Do hope you are all ready and haven't wandered too far away from the bus, as we are about to depart onwards. :dance:

I must first thank you for your wonderful comments and patience while I was otherwise occupied. :D

May 24th - Letaba Camp to Shingwedzi

Another day of early rising and packing the car but before that its coffee and munchies out on the veranda while watching the sun rising slowly and seeing and hearing the bush come alive. :D

Then little shapes come out of the darkness up to the edge of the veranda, we peer at it and its 2 Thick-knees who you will not believe but were blatantly begging! :shock:
I never did imagine that they would become victim to peoples silliness and self indulgence. :evil: but there you are!

Anyway, off we go and slowly drive up the H1-6 until we get to the Letaba River bridge and get out to enjoy the early morning sun, the view and the ambiance.

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

An elephant is trumpeting somewhere in the distance and sounds very strange, with almost an echoing quality about it.

The bundles are quite intrigued about being allowed to get out on certain bridges and just love gazing over the edge into the water and sand below. :D

A little further along a herd of Wildebeest are moving through the pale grasses of winter.

ImageLarge

We meet up with a Yellow ribbon forumite Gmlsmit and have nice natter door to door.

Just before Mopani camp, as we come round the corner the road is filled with a group of Lions, cubs included but who appear to be in a state of panic, and before we can even reach for the cameras dash off and into the bush! :?
Very odd behaviour but then all becomes clear as we start seeing a huge herd of Buffalo which we estimate to be in excess of 500 on both sides of the road which we can only assume the Lions had found themselves in the middle of and because of the cubs had tried to make good their escape.

We did go down some of the little river loops around there and there were just Buffalo wherever one looked and even on the other side of the Tsendze River, but no sign of the Lions.

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

We had decided to stop off in Mopani for a bite of breakfast but just before the camp we are stopped by a breeding herd of Ellies coming up the steep bank and crossing the road then heading off down the little No entry road causing a staff worker to be late for work! :wink:

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

The rest of the family are so impressed with the view from the restaurant deck, now they can finally see what we have been raving about the past years.

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

There are quite a group of Ellies all feeding in the trees opposite the deck which help keep us well entertained while waiting for our Bacon and Eggs to arrive.

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

What would Mopani be without the birds flying around in the trees.

Grey Go-away Bird looking as startled as ever.

ImageLarge

Another begging beauty eyeing out the menu?

ImageLarge

And as we move higher up the park the pretty Autumn leaves in the title of my report make themselves more and more obvious.

ImageLarge

I had to show the others the beautiful Red Rocks area and altho they had pretty had as much of the car as they wanted in a day agreed it was worth the slight detour around the loop. :D

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

Some of the interesting rock formations

ImageLarge

Some of the lovely Autumn leaves and scenery around there.

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

A little further on in the loop this Lilac-breasted Roller posed so beautifully we just could not resist its charms.

ImageLarge

After settling the family into their 5 sleeper chalet and us into our 2 sleeper one, having a bit of a rest Jock decided she wanted to take a drive out the back gate and down to the S50 Kanniedood Dam, so as there were no other takers just her, one of the bundles and myself got back into the car and off we went but before we could even drive out the back gate there stood a lovely tusker and his askaris right there.

Mandzemba *Edit* Aat has informed me that this tusker is not Machachule as we thought. Thanks Aat.
Sorry about that.

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

We actually stopped so often and enjoyed the drive so much that in the end we never got very far and as gate closing time loomed had to turn back only to be confronted with another ellie slowly marching down the road towards us forcing us to reverse a little way but thank goodness he did eventually wander off the road and allow us to pass. 8)

After a quick look at the causeway

ImageLarge

and then with a minute to spare we finally called it a day.

All that was left was to enjoy a glass of wine or 2 and a good braai and reminisce over what we had seen.

To be continued.......

Last edited by Elsa on Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:43 pm 

After such a long time in between posts I will now have to go and round everyone up, sure you have all wandered off in all directions!

In the mean time while I am waiting for everyone to arrive I would like to thank

Anne-marie and while I am at it I must apologise for a mix up, the tusker at the fence in my last episode was not Machachule but Mandzemba, who is a promising and impressive Tusker, as pointed out to me by Aat, I have edited it. (but read on and I have a surprise later!) :whistle:

Flying Cheetah I wish I had known you were in Shingwedzi on one of our nights there, we could have had a much longer chat.
A pity, glad you enjoyed the beautiful Autumn colours, more on the way as I also could not resist them.

Salva That was such a nice sighting of the Ellies crossing and we enjoyed it as well.

Micetta Glad you also liked the Ellies, such a steep bank for a heavy animal to climb. Red Rocks is indeed well worth the slight detour and will always be on the agenda. I am going to try and give you another pic for your desk top.

Katja Thanks for joining us on the trip and for the lovely comments, I do appreciate them all. Mopani is one of our favourite camps with that view over the dam.

Tawny Never mind, we will definitely do another trip up North with you one day soon.

Mama Fariu We just can't resist those gorgeous LBR's definitely a favourite bird to photograph. Take your place on board we are about to head on out.

Flutterby Again I apologise for the mix up re Machachule, but hold on!

Val So glad you are able to share the trip with us and are enjoying the sights.

Pumbaa Now that I have seen the Mopani leaves in Autumn I will never look at them the same way again.

Sorry about the long delay, not really sure what has happened to cause it, but I am here now and we are about to begin another days drive so I do hope you are all in the bus and ready.

25th May - Shingwedzi to Crooks Corner and back

We are up and manage to leave the gate at 6.20 with the temp on 14C
It promises to be a lovely day but aren't they all when here!

We stop off on the bridge over the Shingwedzi River and absorb the tranquillity and scenery as the sun starts peeping over the horizon.

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

The road from the bridge upwards for a good few kms has been covered in a thick layer of sand, so its almost like travelling on a dirt road.

We notice a Hyenain the road ahead, obviously returning from a night's hunting, slow down and enjoy the sighting.

ImageLarge

Then there appear a couple more and a lot of greeting goes on.

ImageLarge

Suddenly we notice from a hole that we had not yet noticed there appears a little face!

ImageLarge

And another!

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

We must have sat with them for over half and hour and once they had got used to our presence were quite relaxed with one bold little one even coming right up to the car, a real little curious George!

I apologise for posting so many pics of them but we just couldn't decide which ones to leave out. :? :wink:

Anyway, we finally dragged ourselves away from the cuties and carried on up the H1-7.

until another stop to have a look at 2 Secretary Birds in the top of a tree, we presume either building a nest or already have one.

ImageLarge

then another of the irresistible Lilac Breasted Rollers

ImageLarge

Then, Oops, we find ourselves in one of Kruger's famous road blocks! 8)

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

bit fortunately he was fairly relaxed which meant only a small amount of reversing needed. :whistle:

ImageLarge

Some scenery pics from up North, a lovely Baobab Tree

ImageLarge

and some more Autumn Leaves ..

ImageLarge

On the S63 Tar Road towards the Border post one comes across this large Baobab Tree with Scotty's car parked underneath it for contrast.

ImageLarge

And another Ellie

ImageLarge

Then it was onto an area we really love and for some of the family a first visit Crooks Corner :D

Lots of Hippos and Croc in the Luvuvuhu River where it joins into the Limpopo

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

The rest of the family standing with the Limpopo, which was surprisingly full in the background.

ImageLarge

Slowly making our way along the S63 dirt road with its magic atmosphere and investigating every nook and cranny along the way.

A pair of Fish Eagles

ImageLarge

A lovely view of the Luvuvuhu River

ImageLarge

A family of Nyala graze beneath the Fever Trees and we notice there is definitely less foliage and density than when we visited previously in the height of summer.

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

Zebra still finding the odd water hole to visit.

ImageLarge

After a nice lunch at Pafuri Picnic site and a chat with Frank we move on and start the downward trip back to Shingwedzi

Another road block of a different kind this time in the form of a large Herd of Buffalo

ImageLarge

We also saw an Eland only 1 of as far as we could make out but far off making photography rather difficult but we tried and I think of all the pics Scotty seemed to get the best one, but I do apologise for the quality.

ImageLarge

When we got to more or less where we had seen the Hyenas earlier that day we suddenly saw a Lion shoot across the road, take one look at us and dash off into the grasses! HUH! not again, this was becoming a bit of a habit. :evil:

So I am not sure what caused that behaviour other than there may have been a couple of Hyenas around who did not enjoy the Lions presence any way near the den? but its just speculation and needless to say no matter how hard we peered we could not see hide nor hair of the Lion.

We decided to take the little loop road S135leading to the causeway and back entrance of Shingwedzi as this its an area we really enjoy as well and have had some awesome sightings in the past.

Today not too much activity besides
An Little Egret trying to catch some supper

ImageLarge

and then guess who was waiting for us just on the other side of the causeway, this time I am pretty sure its none other than

Machachule himself! :dance:

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

So a great ending to a great day and we were all quite happy to sit back at our chalet, relax and chat about all we had seen and done that day. :D

I do hope you have enjoyed the day with us and I will do my best not to keep you all hanging around for the next day. :wink:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:32 pm 

Right I think we have lingered long enough in camp and high time we piled back in the bus and headed on out again, after all we have things to see and places to go!

Thanks so much everyone for your wonderful support and enthusiasm. :clap:

26th May - Shingwedzi to Satara.

but just before we head on out Jock cannot resist and rushes over to take a quick pic of the beautiful Impala Lily growing not far from the front of the chalet in camp. :D

ImageLarge

Then its off and out the gates at 6.55 with the temp on 14C.

We briefly see a Black-backed Jackal but as with most of the ones we saw on this trip it takes off through the grass at high speed in that lovely bouncy way they have. no chance of a pic!

I must also add at this point that we saw the most Kori Bustards I think we have ever seen in one trip this time, but most of them not the greatest phots ops but I think we do get one later in the trip.

Then another Ellie who was busy finding his own source of water in the dry river bed which is always fascinating to watch.

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

Then we had a long drive of seeing very little and the family in the back car came on on the walkie talkie asking where all the animals were, :huh:
Jock replied Never fear, I have a feeling something good is going to show up soon. 8)

Then a little way before Mopani in fact at the Bowerskop Waterhole we stopped for a herd of Buffalo and suddenly what was that lying there?
Well this is what it was and we could hardly believe our eyes. :tongue:

ImageLarge

They then stood up causing chaos among the Buffalo!

ImageLarge

Look at those tummies! :wink:

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

A quick drink

ImageLarge

Then they wandered off marking every tree and bush in sight!

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

and vanished into the Mopane Bushes but we were all ecstatic and the family now looking at Jock with new eyes who could see into the future! 8)

A quick stop off at Mopani Camp and once again Jock leaps out the car and snaps some other flowers growing near the reception building which I think might be the Pom Pom Bush or Kleinia fulgens = (Senecio Fulgens)

ImageLarge

As the family had specifically requested to see the North I decided we had to make a little detour and go show them the
Shipandani Hide so down we went.

We got there first and wondered where they had got to, but eventually there they come....

ImageLarge

Always so nice to sit there and enjoy the antics of the Hippos

ImageLarge

and a Grey heron and Openbilled Stork

ImageLarge

and some Impala keeping a wary eye on a large Croc lying next to a clump of reeds.

ImageLarge

But time soon caught up on us and it was time to push on again.

Just after crossing the weir we stopped for a slow moving Chameleon

ImageLarge

Back on the H1-6 a couple of female Ostrich pecked around in the grass looking for tasty morsels.

ImageLarge

We decided a lunch break at Letaba was in order and had a lovely meal on the veranda, especially the pizza my son and his SO shared. :thumbs_up:

Even this Red-winged Starling thought so and begged shamelessly, but we showed him the notice and he accepted with good grace. :D

ImageLarge

After lunch we decided a quick visit to the museum was in order and the bundles were quite amazed at the sight that they saw.

Here is Bianca who thought Shawu's tusks most impressive.

ImageLarge

Back on the road with tummies filled and legs stretched.

First up a Giraffe

ImageLarge

We could see there was a huge fire up ahead judging by the thick pall of smoke and we eventually did come across it, quite scary to drive next to the huge flames and hear the crackling, hissing and popping.

Bianca was in tears and when asked what the matter was, she replied in between sobs that she was sorry for the little animals that were getting burnt. :(
What can one say other than try and explain that its important to do this from time to time in case of an accidental fire when more would be burnt. :?

Another stop off on Olifants River bridge which the girls thought was wonderful.

An Ellie was browsing in the reeds below.

ImageLarge

and on the same side but a little lower down was a breeding herd of Ellies with the female having decent tusks.

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

A trio of White-fronted Bee-eaters were hawking insects from the reed which would bend down as they landed.

ImageLarge

Further down the H1-5 we came across a White Rhino

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

Then a family of Ellies were grazing right next to the road, one female who had a nice pair of tusks.

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

then a stop off for some Ground Hornbills one of whom had caught a snake and was busy trying to despatch it but it kept on curling itself around it bill and fighting back!

*Please excuse some of the pics that are not great quality for some reason but I thought it was unusual so included them.

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

then a youngster marched over and demanded the prey.

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

even after the transfer the snake was still not giving up the fight!

ImageLarge

A little way before Satara we came across quite a traffic jam and was told it was a male Lion lying sleeping next to the road, eventually getting to a narrow spot where we could catch a brief glimpse of His Majesty lying asleep, but really no point in trying to get a pic so we moved on and made out way into Satara and to our chalets.

The family were lucky enough to get a family cottage E114 sponsored by Checkers which was really nice, spacious and nicely appointed, Klystron and I were in a BG2 a little way away but we all got together for a nice braai and a natter about all we had seen that day. :D

To be continued.....

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next