Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 2
 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Oumie Our 2 month stay in Kruger..... Winter 2011
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:08 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

All packed and ready to go 2morrow at 6am :dance:

Kruger booked for 2015.

Post subject: Re: Our 2 month stay in Kruger.....
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:35 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Good morning from a nice warm Kruger :D

Arrived yesterday in Pretoriuskop camp, set up for the 2 days. We are doing a few chores so that when we get to Lower Sabie 2morrow we can just sit back and relax.

Woke up early this morning to a Lion roaring 8)

To the question if we are going to pay for camps as we go...no we had to book a year in advance otherwise you do not get a camp site during the long weekends and school holidays.

SO and myself did bring our art work for the days we do not feel like going on drives. It is very nice to sit and paint in camp and listen to the birds and see some animals outside camp :D

Yes we do have a blog again for this year :D

Kruger booked for 2015.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:15 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Micetta wrote:
Hi Oumie, I must have cancelled your blog from last year, I cannot find the address :wall: Would you please post it here :wink:

Hi Micetta,

my blog address is:
http://www.kruger2011.blogspot.com

Also look at the link below my post it shows the link to the blog :D

Kruger booked for 2015.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:19 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Got Lower Sabie early yesterday morning....took most of the day to set up as SO's back was very sore :( Got settled at 5pm after packing out and getting everything in its place.
Just after the gates closed and everybody started to get supper ready the Lions started calling 8) ...nearer and nearer to camp...ahh we are home:D they kept on roaring till early hours this morning then moved off somewhere as the sound got fainter with every call.

Will update the blog when I have done all the chores :D

Kruger booked for 2015.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:17 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Left camp yesterday early as SO's car had to go for the yearly service...3rd year in a row that it have to be serviced while in Kruger :roll:
While going to Croc Bridge we came accross a mating pair of lion on the road...we could not stop for long, took 3 photos and had to dash off to be in time for the service, as we drove off we could see some people in their cars look at us as to say "geez....not interested in lions? " :lol:
Got into Nelspruit in time to book the car in for a service. They dropped us off at the new shopping mall where we had to "kill" time till our car was ready. We had a lovely breakfast...strolled around the mall....spend some of SO's money bying me a few blouses 8) had some more juice sitting waiting. Got the call to say they are delivering our car at the mall...I dashed into Pick "n Pay to do the food shopping for a couple of weeks.
Got back at gate with an half and hour to spare for viewing game. On the way to Lower Sabie we saw plenty of game even a Honey Badger, but could not take a photo as he was moving to fast into the bushes forraging.

Updated the blog with the photos of the Lion....

Kruger booked for 2015.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 4:53 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Geez....cannot beleive we are in the park for 12days already :roll:
Wow...but is so nice and hot.....

At last we saw a leopard close enough to take photos :dance:
Also we saw another cheetah today....not good pics but at least I can prove we saw one.

Also read today at receiption that Mhlondozi picnic spot is closing at the end of this month for renovations....so off to Nkulu or Afsaal for breakfast....

Updated the blog :D

Kruger booked for 2015.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:25 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

We were woken early this morning by Lions Roaring near the camp....we dashed out to sunset dam...as we drove past I saw something to the left at the dam that looked like a big tree stump...SO reversed and we saw this huge Croc with a Impala in its jaws sliding back into the water. To late to take a photo :(
Drove up the road to where some cars were...there were the Lions...they came up from the river side crossing the road...I managed to take a quick photo as it was chaos as all the cars were trying to reverse and take photos. They dissappeared into the bush near the dam. We sat at the dam for a while but no lions.
Later this afternoon we went to sunset dam and saw the huge croc...he managed to swallow the Impala but the head was still sticking out of its mouth....he was battling to swallow the head with the horns but he managed after a long time.

Just afterr the gates closed the Lions started to roar again!
they are still roaring in the distance not far from camp. Seems they are going to go on the whole night partrolling there turf :D

I have update the blog with a photo of the big croc with the impala in its mouth.

Kruger booked for 2015.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:57 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Went for a late drive yesterday afternoon, sat at a pan trying to see the lions that everybody was talking about, we could hear them feed, see the vultures in the trees but no luck.
While sitting there 3 big rhinos came to the water, they were so close to our car we could hear them breathing and making little noises...awsome!
A while later 2 elephants came down to drink, while they were drinking a rhino came out of the bush with a little baby with her....she strolled to the water and the one elephant looked at her....we thought that the ellie was going to chase her but she just started towards him and he took fright and ran into the water to get away from her :lol:
Was a really nice afternoon.
Today again we sat at a pan on the S114 having our early morning coffee, we were the only car there....while drinking coffee whe heard the lions roar close by......we decided to sit it out....then they they came out roaring looking at us from the other side of the pan....wow what a sight and experience :D

We updated our blog with yesterdays photos.....

Kruger booked for 2015.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:46 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Wow we got some nice pics of the "resident" black rhino at Lower Sabie, So nice to see one close by :D
Had a stressfull morning yesterday...saw the Leopard with her big cub on the bridge...then came the cars and they were stressed so went onto the little island at the bridge...she was nervous to walk back on the bridge to her den. She then dashed out onto the bridge but the cub did not want to come, he/she was very nervous. We got photos and moved down to the look out point by the bridge watching the drama. Mother then dashed back inbetween the cars as they now have bloked both lanes on the bridge to get to her cub again....the damm cars would not move :evil: Again the mother dashed off onto the bridge running inbetween the cars to get away...again the cub would not come. At one point the female looked at the rushing water...we really thought she was going to try and swim across with the cub, but the water was to strong looking. finally one of the cars moved and the cub got the courage to dash to mom.
Got back to camp with a huge headace :(

Updated the blog with the pics of the black Rhino....will update the blog with the leopard pics later today.

Kruger booked for 2015.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:35 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Had a couple of nice sightings these last few days :D

Managed to get an extra day at Satara so we leave on Monday 8)

Still hot here...waiting for the cold front that is supposed to be on the way....

Met a forum member yesterday, must say I did not hear his name to well :redface: but think it is Mike Grosh....

Updated the blog with some nice pics of the sightings we had.

Kruger booked for 2015.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:35 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

We waited for a week for a great camping sight at the fence...all set up for our month long stay :D
Wow...we are having such a great time in Satara...also resting, reading, painting and just chilling out.
Had a fire outside camp on the 6 June...was burned by the "fire" crew. All we see now is burned grass :(

Updated our blog...
I am still sorting the pics for the TR report when back home 8)

Kruger booked for 2015.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:59 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Wow...Lions....Cheeta....Leopard....what a nice couple of days 8)
My son, his wife and little one came last Thursday for 5 nights all the way from Cape Town...was so nice to see them and to have the little one with us to show her the animals in real life. She just loved it....did not once argue with "Oumie" to get up early and to be quiet when we stopped to watch the animals :thumbs_up: We thankfully saw "Mufassa" and the females on the road so that she could see how big they were. Her favourite animal she told us is the Giraffe :D

We had a stunning sight of the Lunar eclipse in camp. SO took lots of :cam: of the different phases of the eclipse.

Next Tuesday my daughter and little 9month old granddaughter arrive, flying in from Cape Town to Hoedspruit...her SO is driving from Cape Town ..... to spend 8 nights with us, then they will use our caravan to go to Berg-and-Dal with some friends till the 6th of July. We will travel back on the 2nd July back home. She got strict instructions how to pack and take the caravan back to storage in Nelspruit.

Updated the blog very late last night....

Kruger booked for 2015.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:38 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

On sunday night hyena's took a leopard's kill from it outside the fence...a lot of hooping and growling from the hyena's and the leopard.....we could see the hyenas ripping into the meat but we could not see what it was while the leopard was in the tree growling....after a while we saw a few hyena's run towards the tree as the leopard made a dash to get away, poor chap lost its meal :(
Monday night we had a buffalo was grazing very close to the fence....I could have touched its horns if I could get my hand through the fence 8) it did not take notice of us all taking photos...just gave us a look and carried on feeding.
Today we saw 2 lionesses and 6 cubs on the S90....wow it was so nice to see :D

Updated the blog......

Kruger booked for 2015.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:06 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Geez....back to the "normal" day life :(

We had a great time....already made the reservations for next year :thumbs_up:

Kruger booked for 2015.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:13 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I will post some of the photo's we think are the best for us on this trip....
This pair of mating lions...he looked so happy and relaxed.
These lions were on a early hunt near Lower Sabie...
Sisters from the same pride....

Kruger booked for 2015.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next