Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 2
 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Son godin-A tale of two camps:Tsendze and Biyamiti-Apr2011
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:41 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

“It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, and we had nothing before us”

In a way the words of Charles Dickens sums up our experience during our past visit to Kruger in March-April to two camps, Tsendze rustic camp in the north and Biyamiti Bush camp in the south. Our experiences during our 2 week stay differed a lot from hot days above 36°C in the north to a cool 26°C in the south. When we left we were still in a summer mood, but after returning home one can feel autumn is here and winter is slowly creeping up to us.

My trip report will reveal more of our experiences between the two camps and the animal sightings than a daily feedback of sightings.

Northern Area around Tsendze:

This year we found that the best sightings were around the Mooiplaas area, Tropic of Capricorn loop, Nshawu river and Middelvlei. We did not drive on all the roads and missed out on the Mopani-Phalaborwa tar road, Shongololo loop and Stapelkop dam. The best hides for general sightings were Shipandani and Matambeni although a bit disappointing in terms of animals coming down to drink. The magic in the Kanniedood hide was somehow lost, maybe due to the high level of water present in the river.

We normally visit the park in winter and found that the animals were hiding away, specially the cat family. The weather was extremely hot the first week, which might have contributed to the cats hiding in the shade. The hot sun was not very pleasant for this Son godin and made me think that I must change my forum name to something cooler.

The camp experience was great and we enjoyed our quiet time at Tsendze for 10 days on campsite # 3. During the first week only 4- 6 sites were occupied resulting in seeing very few other people even at the bathrooms and cooking area. We actually felt very lonely and had the feeling of being the only people in the camp up to the weekend when more sites were occupied. Luckily Rodger and Elina came past just to see how we were doing and chatting about the day’s sightings.

The little creatures also left there mark on us and in a way made me thought about the merit of hotel development. :twisted: I will come back to that and will first start off with some pics before I bore you from reading anything more on my trip report.

Our first sighting was of an elephant near Sable dam and at the hide we were awarded with a visit by waterbuck. Their faces fascinate me making think of a Rudolph the reindeer.

Then there is the darling of the bush, the steenbok. We found this one on the first day entering the park.

Two tawny eagles were enjoying a swim or is it a bath at Ngwenyeni water hole.

On the tar road we had to break several time for European rollers catching insect on the road.

Other road users were tortoises crossing the road at their own pace. Every day we saw a couple of them along the roads, which required a lot of concentration from the driver and driving slowly not to kill them by accident.

Just before reaching Tsendze camp we came across a breeding elephant herd near the Confluence Lookout enjoying the water and reeds along the Tsendze river.

To be continued

Post subject: Re: A tale of two camps: hot Tsendze and cool Biyamiti
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:59 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Twigga,

Thanks for the lovely comments on the pictures. We've been to Tsendze a few times and always found some special sightings there. You won't find lions and other cats around every corner, but be sure they are there. :dance:

Pumbaa,

Thanks for the compliments. The weather really changed quickly the past few weeks and I can't believe two weeks back I was just looking for some shade to get out of the sun. Maybe that's why I thought the weather at Biyamiti was quite a relief from Tsendze. The cold fronts normally hits the southern section more so even if the weather is pleasantly warm compared to Europe we wil say it was cool. 8)

Kamadejo and Anja,

Thanks for your the compliments on the photos. European rollers are still around and in the north you will find larger numbers of them compared to the lilac breasted roller. They really on a suicide mission catching all kind of insects in the road. Sometimes they not that lucky and becomes road kill. :cry:

Kamadejo,

Hope you will enjoy your trip to Biyamiti as well later this year. (Anja if I am not wrong you will also be visiting Biyamiti later this year :thumbs_up: )

Micetta,

I will not disappoint you with diffferent animals. We seems to be a bit unlucky in away with cats and therefore look at for all creatures in the park. I just need another camera for macro shots as well, because the small creature in strange forms were plentiful at Tsendze. I love my waterbuck and found them very willing to pose for photos. When the "kids" are present they are more nervous and will quickly run away, but adults behave very different from other antelope such as kudu and usually stares at you for a while. I am glad you are enjoying the pics so far. :wink:

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:29 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Animals sightings around Mooiplaas water hole and Tsendze camp: Part 1

We were really lucky the first few days and spotted lions and cheetahs near Mooiplaas. At one point I even said that the cats are boring. What is so difficult to find them only to be reminded a few days later that they are no house cats and moved away further north to N'wambu pan where we could only found some foot prints next to the road.

Out first cat of the trip did not enjoy our presence. It was lying in the road near the confluence lookout and immediately stood-up and walked away towards Mooiplaas. The time was around 5:50 am and not enough light for a good pic.

Our route then took us along the Nshawu river with not much luck except a very strange cat like movement in the bush which moved in behind the Mopane trees. Arriving at Mooiplaas waterhole we were awarded with a cheetah sighting, but the best were the behaviour of the tsessebe that came to drink water. After sighting the two cheetahs it walked straight towards them snorting as it approached. I think at one point it was about 20 m away. That must take a lot of guts to face your enemy like that and knowing that you have the advantage of speed as well.

Hi mate look who is here! :twisted:

Why are you sleeping near my water hole?

Didn't you hear me? Go away now and leave us alone! :naughty:

Is that tsessebe still there bothering us. I want to sleep a bit. :huh:

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:54 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Kamadejo: That was a special experience not always seen. One that beats it but were further away was in KTP when we saw a red hartbeest chasing a cheetah into a tree :roll: A cats life is not that easy around these antelope. Thanks for the compliment. :wink:

TheunsH: Thanks for the great compliments and hope you will enjoy Tsendze as well. :dance:

Animals sightings around Mooiplaas water hole and Tsendze camp: Part 2

We took an afternoon drive along the Tsendze river and found a spear fisherman
at Shipandani hide, elephants and waterbuck drinking water. At the confluence giraffes were gathering to quence their thirst.

At first there was not much action at the hide and we found it comfartable to escape the heat of the day. Elephants came into drink and chased away a Goliath heron that landed the opposite bank of the hide. A croc was moving towards the heron and it flew straight to the hide sitting under our noses. Hopelessly to large for my SO the capture the bird in flight. It staired for a while to the river and suddenly moved to shallow water giving my SO the chance to capture the series of shots illustrating the spear fishing technique used by the GH.

Getting ready to fish.

Gotcha!

Outch! That must be painfull!

Help me!

Glump. Down goes the catch - no time wasted.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:44 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Kamadejo

I,m using a old Canon 20D and a 120-400mm Sigma lense

Thanks all for looking at the wifes Trip Report

PRWin

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:37 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Animals sightings around Mooiplaas water hole and Tsendze camp: Part 3

While the cheetahs were at Mooiplaas they did not get much attention from this fellow below.

The zebras and impalas were not as brave as the tsessebe and kept their distance from two cats.

After returning from morning drives SO had a lot of oppurtunities to capture the birds at Tsendze camp.

Martial eagle

Giant Eagle Owl showed to us by Rodger at Tsendze camp

Scops owls from campsite 24 Tsendze,

Woodland kingfisher

Fork-tail drongo

Male Red-bill hornbill near nest

Mommy screaming inside nest with chicks

One afternoon we wanted to spend some time at Mooiplaas picnic site. It was nice and quiet, but certain visitors did not want us to get out of the car. Elina also could not get to her house after a trip from Phalaborwa that afternoon.

Elephants were frequently seen near Tsendze camp. This one came walking down the road just before the turn off to camp. Luckily we wanted to turn in and did not need to make a u-turn.

This was not the only one near the camp and on a few afternoons we could watch them eating on the other side of the fence (maybe not a great pic but it shows you how quickly a elephant can hide behind a tree).

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:55 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Micetta,

The owls at Tsendze are quite awake during the day. Thanks for the compliments on the bird shots and elie. We actually spotted the same elie 2 years ago at Mooiplaas water hole. Maybe Rodger feeds it. :lol:

One Tooth at a younger age in July 2009 at Mooiplaas water hole.

Animals sightings around Mooiplaas water hole and Tsendze camp: Part 4

On the second day of our holiday we had more luck with cat sightings near Mooiplaas. We drove south until Nshawu No 1 where we saw a hyaena in the tar road and followed it for a while until it for awhile disappeared into the bushes.

We did not see much further along the Nshawu river and decided to turn left to Mooiplaas at Nshawu No 3. Not to far from the turn-off a lioness was walking in the road in the direction on Mooiplaas. We followed her for about 2 km, but during that time she was not very willing to pose for a good shot and all my SO could get was a few bum shots. In the end she left the road in a southernly direction and did not walked to the water hole.

When we arrived at the water hole around 7 am it was very quiet with not much action. Far off we saw a secretary bird and waited for a while to see if more animals will come in to drink.

After about 10 min my SO spotted some movement in the grass at the back of the secretary bird and guess what who decided to come in for a drink.

They must have caught a impala or was it the tsessebe :huh: the previous afternoon or evening before coming for a drink at Mooiplaas.

Later in the morning they moved to their favourite tree again, tummies full of water and meat.

Other sightings near Mooiplaas were wildebeest, lots of elephants blocking the road and a few buffalo. This year we did not find the large herds of buffalo near Mooiplaas, but only further up near the Tropic of Capricorn.

The next day we spotted a very bewildered Roan antelope storming out of the bush near the same spot where we found the lioness the previous day. Not sure if it was an elephant that scared it, but my SO had to be quick to get this :cam:

Last edited by Son godin on Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:39 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Micetta we would have missed those cats if did not have the patience to wait for them. The luck was only for two days, but I think that was enough to have great memories of Mooiplaas and we will visit again. The goat had no manners and it was aim and shoot otherwise no pic to show.

Kamadejo I am glad you enjoy the report. There is still a few more to come and I hope you will like those pics as well. Not so many cats, but at last I got some dogs.

SusieB its always special to see cheetah in KNP. It seems as people are more lucky to see them in KTP, but its possible to find them in Kruger. I am glad that you enjoyed the birds as well. I've written another TR in February on Biyamiti called "Biyamiti is for the birds, no cats and dogs allowed" During that trip we had more luck on birds over 2 days that our 2 week trip in March.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:54 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Sightings near the Tropic of Capricorn and Nshawu river

Late in the mornings or afternoons we found that the roads towards Tihongonyeni reward you with lots of zebra, hartebeest, wildebeest and elephants sightings. The only carnivores we found on this route were jackal and hyaena, but I am sure the lions are there hiding in places like Shilowa Outpost.

The zebras offered lots of action shots during play and the foals were too quite to resist

Below is a typical scenery near Tihongonyeni water hole with different browsers comimg to drink:

Wildebeest were also challenging each other on the way to the water hole

Kudu were found along the Nshawu river road

We were also very surprised to find two saddlebilled storks along the Nshawu river

One morning we watch lots of lappetfaced vultures circling the sky above Tihongonyeni water hole and got this shot of one when he landed.

During our previous visit in the winter we did not get many sightings of ground hornbill, but this year we had sometimes a few sightings per day. We saw some at Tihongonyeni water hole, Bowkerkop, Middelvlei, Tsendze loop and Tsale when we came in from Phalaborwa.

And no African savanna can be without ostriches and warthogs:

Finally early one morning we saw a large herd of buffalo approaching the Nshawu river moving north.

Elephants were moving between them.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:40 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Roads near Mopane: Shongololo loop

During our previous visits to Tsendze we did not have much luck along the Shongololo loop, which resulted that we only did one trip of about 40 km in and returned along the same route. We saw buffalo, elephants, giraffes, water buck, kudu, zebra and impala - this means that you can have enough luck to see the general game when driving this route.

The area near Shipandane hide daily delivered interesting sightings, specially the fishermen. Well this one chew on more than what it could bite.

The monitors friend - an African rail

Not too far from the start after crossing the Tsendze river we found the remains of a fallen giant. I wondered what killed it and also if any one past during that time on the route. :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:23 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Micetta,

I am not sure, because we did not see the monitor again. It grapped onto the fish for quite some time, but did not see it finishing off. There are some big brothers in the river and they might have chase the monitor away to get hold of the catch (see next episode) :twisted: I believe after the elephant died SANP must have removed the tusk, because that was not present with the rest of the bones.

Wild about cats, Thanks. It is not every day that one will find an elephant skull in the road. Wonder if other elephants that passed by were smelling the skull and bones and kicked in the road. Some say elephants do mourn over the death of mates. :cry:

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:50 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Roads near Mopane: Low water bridge Shipandani Hide

The water monitor near Shipandani hide has some big brothers that he needs to compete with to catch fish. After a storm that lasted throughout the night and rain that continued the next day, the water level on the bridge were overflowing. This resulted in carp and catfish attempting to swim upstream crossing the bridge. Some opportunistic feeders made use of this abuandance of fish and were even getting out of the water onto the bridge to get hold of the fish.

The crocodiles were very selective in what they wanted to catch and lots of fish passed them while the waited for the right one to catch. The series of photos illustrate the way a croc needs to turn its head to catch fish.

Come to daddy!

Just turn my head...

....turn the fish around.

....and in the fish goes.

You not going to get to the fish before me, find your own spot.

This is my bridge.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:14 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Micetta the crocs catching fish was one of our highlights. It's actually very seldom that you see these beast so close to you and defnitely the first for us to chase a croc away only to continue driving. :D :dance: :dance:

Elsa and Salva, I am glad you enjoyed the fishermen of Shipandani hide. Thanks for the compliments

Roads near Mopane: Tropic of Capricorn Loop Part 2

This road will seldom dissapoint any one if you appreciate all aspects of Kruger and wildlife. I love the open savanna around Tihongonyeni and always find something interesting at this water hole. Maybe not lions around everything corner, but the small predators such a jackal, birds and antelope are always present.

On the way to the water hole you might need to stop a few times for rollers or chameleons crossing the road.

Secretary bird in search for food near Tihongonyeni

One will always find a herd of zebra on this road. This youngster with mom got our attention

Tsessbe approaching the water hole

North of Mopani: Shingwedzi
We did two day trips to Shingwedzi, but in the end found that there is more to see or the same near Mopani and it is not necessary to travel that far. Maybe we just had bad luck this year, but still it is always a nice trip just to drive past the Kanniedood Dam.

Along the river we spotted plenty of bushbuck and in a tree a lone Ground Hornbill. It was strange to find only a single Ground hornbill and not a group foraging for food.

Elephant near Shingwedzi.

Burchell's coucal

We did not find a lot of bird sightings this year along the Shingwedzi river and did not spot any Saddlebilled storks as usual. They only storks we could tick off were open bill storks and Marabou stork. The pic below of the Openbill stork was taken at Mooiplaas picnic site. Most of the sightings near Shingwedzi were too far off.

South of Mopani: Letaba

On the roads south of Mopani we had better luck and one morning spotted our first and only rhino sighting in the North.

After a checking the sightings board at Letaba we headed further south and passed a large herd of buffalo on their way to the Letaba river.

Suddenly we were surprised by two lions crossing the road not further than 500m from the buffalo. At first we only noticed the first one that moved to the left of our car. We I looked to my right another lion was right next to my door. These ones were also on the move and we could not watch them for more than 3 minutes before the completely dissapeared into the bush.

We spotted this monster below near Letaba. Any hotel development in that area? :roll: :tongue:

Our best sighting along the southern roads were that of a leopard near Middelvlei walking in the rain. :dance:

It suddenly stopped and sniffed the air. Up front was a breeding herds of elephant heading straight to the leopard. The youngsters were very playfull drinking water from pools on the tar road.

This little wet jackal was found not to far from the leopard sitting in the rain.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:11 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Northern sightings at Matambeni hide

Another hide that's great to visit not too far from Tsendze is the Matambeni hide on the Letaba river. We visited the hide twice and found 4 fish eagles in the area on both days. Most of the sightings are a bit too far off and not that great for photography, but always interesting just to look at. We saw elephants coming down to feed and drink water, waterbuck, hippos and birds normally found near water, such as egrets, herons, whitefronted bee-eaters and Egyption geese.

Hope my identification is correct on this one - Black-backed puffback in tree in front of hide

After 10 days at Tsendze we packed-up our camp and headed far south to Biyamiti. We tried to complete this stretch of 250 km as fast a possible to arrive at Biyamiti just after 2 pm. The 5 April was very clouding and cool and not much to see along the route. Maybe all Sataras lions dissapeared when Cheetah left too sad to come out onto the road. :twisted:

Our pitstop was at Tshokwane, but we left quickly after finding the picnic area packed with tourist and a long line in the shop to pay. We drove on to Lower-Sabie to get some refreshments and spended a few minutes at Sunset dam. We did not spot much after Lower Sabie and the best sighting was some Ground Hornbills at the bridge over Bume river.

Day 1 at Biyamiti
We decided to take an quick afternoon drive along the S139 in search of lions spotted about 4-5 km outside the camp by other guest in the morning. Unfortunately we did not have much luck, but at least saw elephant, buffalo and a troop baboons.

Our favourite Biyamiti rabbit came to say hello close to the Biyamiti weir.

Finally my son (12 years old) could have some fun with his PSP inside the hut that evening, not being bothered by all kinds of flying insects and Mopani moth. The millenium generation is defnitely not purist and will rather enjoy a luxury hotel than camping in a tent. :roll: He loves nature and wants to campaigne for the protection of the small creature like nightjars, chameleons and Francolins, but does not enjoy the insect part of nature. :wink:

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:27 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Biyamiti Day 2:

We left early in the direction of Biyamiti weir to see if we are not lucky with the lions, but could not find any of them. After the weir we headed for Renosterkoppies looking for Wild dogs and at the intersection with the S26 decided to turn left rather than going straight. Not sure why, but luck was on our side and only a few 100 m on the tar road we came across Wild dogs. :dance: :dance:

One of the dogs walked towards the car and smelled the back tyres. Then they all decided to head into the bush again running towards the S114.

We continued to Renosterkoppies dam in the hope to see them again. A large herd of buffalo were resting along the tar road with the sun behind them.

The only dogs we could find on the S114 were very fresh spoor meaning it was another pack that crossed the road earlier or the same group we've seen, but just missed by a few minutes. Its incredible how fast they move and how lucky one must be to find them. Just before our sighting a few cars drove passed us and obviously missed out on a great sighting. There was only another car with us that spotted the dogs after we stopped. Within a few minutes they were gone. :(

After Renosterkoppies we took the Old Selati Rail Route by accident. A few military vehicles passed us, not sure if they were part of the new group in Kruger fighting Rhino poachers. The next stop was at Mpondo which was fairly quiet besides other visitors having breakfast outside the car.

After Mpondo it was back to the camp and then to Komatipoort to get some groceries after not shopping for 10 days.

Close to Bume river we came across this magnificant kudu bull:

The afternoon drive was along the S28 from Croc Bridge. We saw lots of buffalo, wildebeest, zebra, impala and elephant along this route plus some strange behaviour from some tourist. Am I biass or is this only happening in the South?

There were plenty of game at the old Nhlanganzwani dam feeding in the middle of the dam. I just wonder when the wall will be rebuild, because this is a splendid spot to park and just watch animal moving around. In the winter one might not find as much game than the summer and that is a pity, because this dam can provide enough water for the winter. :cry:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next