Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 3
 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Bushbaby30-Lists, lists and more lists...-Apr 2011
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:16 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Location: Unfortunately not in KNP so I had to settle with Jo'burg
When a conversation starts with: "Here you go... A detailed list and menu for the Kruger trip." Followed by: "And here is another list of who has to buy what..." Bearing in mind the trip is only in 3 weeks it can only mean one thing... The Bush-family or more precise the list making half of the family is at it again! :tongue:

Bushmom, Dad, BM's friend (later to be known as AJ, Bushbaby75 (note the name change to avoid any more confusion), SSO and last but not least me will be spending Easter in Kruger again this year. :dance:

BB75 and I still have to work on the 22nd so the three of us will leave very early on the morning of the 23rd and meet up with the rest at Orpen. I'm really starting to make a habit of joining up with the rest a day or so late... Maybe I should just start a support group for myself called "Latecomers anonymous" But I'll rather leave a day or two late for Kruger than never... :lol:

While they make their lists I'll just count down sleeps... :tongue:

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Post subject: Re: Lists, lists and more lists...
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:21 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

BB30 and myself is fine: we can pack and be ready in an hour and just forget a few things! Mind you, the booking has been done on the day it opened! Dad, BB75 and AJ are another story altogether: everything has to be planned weeks before in the finest detail! :roll: SSO just goes with the flow.
LVB, that excuse won't work. They are working for themselves till 3'o'clock on Friday (It must pay for the trip!). We thought of a late permit, but that will be cutting it very fine!
Davenjan, BB30 is only meticulous when scoring!

1-6 May '13

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:38 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

A mother is the truest friend we have, when trials heavy and sudden, fall upon us;
when adversity takes the place of prosperity;
when friends who rejoice with us in our sunshine desert us;
when trouble thickens around us, still will she cling to us, and endeavour by her kind precepts and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness, and cause peace to return to our hearts.  ~Washington Irving

Happy Birthday Bushmom...

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:40 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Today is 16 more days to go... :dance: Does anybody know where the fast forward button is?? :hmz:

Today is something most people who enjoys the smaller sightings would have encountered...
Not all people enjoy stopping for birds... Those people have a special look that is normally followed by "OH, that's nice" and a look that spells :huh: before they leave you to enjoy your sighting again.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:48 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

This week has been an extremely emotional week for me and I yearned for the North of Kruger which I rediscovered on my last trip.

The North of Kruger is truly the best kept secret of the KNP... Even though I still don't believe that there are cats up there! :tongue: I could feel my body and mind really relaxing as I drove around there... Almost magical...

Tonight in 2 weeks I'll be sitting by the fire in Letaba... :dance:

Last edited by Bushbaby30 on Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:14 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Yesterday was a bit hectic so today I'll do a two in one lesson... :roll:

Firstly I learnt that some people should just not go to the KNP together... And then I came to the realisation with a litlle help from a friend and then confirmation by my own mother! :big_eyes: that me being a bit of a control freak didn't help the situation much... :doh:

12 days to go!

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:39 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

11 days to go! :lol:

Doing dishes at home SUCKS but in Kruger it is a great time to make conversation with fellow Kruger lovers... I've met the most interesting people whilst washing dishes and then somehow the dishes takes double the time than it normally would have! :lol:

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:45 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

10 days= 240 hours = 14400 minutes = 864000 seconds :dance:

If the lady at Tamboti reception says:" Oh you have tent 13" in a funny voice insist on another one immediately!! If not... the baboons will feast on your whole trips food while you go on a leasurely drive :evil: :sniper: :evil: :naughty:

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:03 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I won't even try to hide that I'm definitely not a morning person but one thing I've found is that its easier to wake up early in Kruger to go on a drive than it is to go to work… But then I must add that waking up an hour and a half earlier during my holidays doesn't seem like a crazy idea then. :lol:

8 days... :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:07 pm 

Or sit reading their map, and when u get back to camp. . . . The not so sharing visitors were sitting under a tree with a leopard and its kill!!!! Nice. Our bush family share EVERYTHING. ;)

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:05 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Sorry for neglegting the thread for a while... This week I learnt that life can sometimes be way to short and you must never take anything or anybody for granted... I realised how lucky I am to be spending time with my family in such a wonderful place.

I'm all packed! :dance: BB75 and I will join BM, Dad, and AJ tomorrow morning. Seeing that Dad told me not to leave at midnight I'll just leave at 00:15 :twisted:

Kruger here I come... AGAIN!!

Unread postPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:44 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

BM, Dad and AJ left earliesh on the morning of the 22nd. BB75 and I still had to work and could only leave the next day. So we had to do with sms’s along the way and sightings once they entered the park… At least I had a lovely sky to look at that evening even though I wasn’t in Kruger…

Seeing that we were told not to leave at midnight and us being the obedient children that we are, we only left at 1am… :twisted: The road was quiet and we only had the odd piece of mist here and there. Just as we were through Bushbuckridge my phone rang… DAD! It was the time of reckoning… :big_eyes: The conversation went something like this:
Me: Hello Dad
Dad: Hello LO. How is the road?
Me: Fine dad, not as much traffic as I expected.
Dad: Is there lots of mist?
Me: A little but nothing serious…
Still holding my pose, looking out at the cloudy lowveld
Dad: Its cloudy but luckily the rain has stopped now.
Me: I see… :wall: :wall:
Dad: silence … Julle bl*!@%&# (You @#$%$#) Where are you now?
Me: About 30 minutes from the gate… See you just now!
Dad: more silence

The rest of the way BB75 and I shifted around in our seats as though we were about to be sent to the principal’s office… :shock: We were stopped at the gate and were asked if we were day visitors or overnight visitors of which we weren’t so sure anymore at this point… We would know in about 15 minutes… :tongue:

We made our way to Tamboti to go and help carry the things to the car (yes that’s the nice way of saying we had to do some major sucking up to dad! :lol: ) Just before the Tamboti/Maroela split I spotted a pearl spotted owlet but he flew off before I could take a pic … :dance: A great way to start the trip.
Arriving at Tamboti BM greeted us with a hug… Dad on the other hand greeted me with a wack against the head… :slap:

Unread postPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:09 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

What BB30 chose to ignore, was the Wednesday, Thursday and Friday before they left! On Wednesday, the list brigade was in full swing :wall: : I was presented with a last minute buying list, a "this must be there on Friday evening" list, a "this must go in BB30"s car" list, a "what must be left for the housesitter and dogs" list and of course, a "padkos" list! :roll:
Everything on all the lists were sorted out on Thursday, and after some personal loss and trauma to our Bushdad (OBD) when they lost a colleague at work and the arrival of Aunty Judy (AJ), everything was ready and packed for our departure the Friday morning.
At 5 o'clock we said our goodbyes to the two Bushbabies when all of a sudden I received an e-mail:
a wonderful photo of my mother taken about 15 years ago by someone I met by chance at Irene Market. I really felt as if she was going with us to her favourite place! It was a special moment for all of us! :pray:
We had an eventfull journey with lthick fog and seeing quite a few rather serious accidents. We did not even know about PetraJ's accident at the time although we passed the spot! The road was very busy and I have never seen a queue as the one at the pit stop we were forced to make! :whistle:
Finally we arrived at Phabeni: home at last! :dance:
Our first animal, predictably, was a rooibok and we saw lots of "nog 'n bokkie"s (another one)! Otherwise it was quiet on the sighting front right up to the Satara-Tamboti road where we had a bit of an altercation with an elephant that had AJ screaming and OBD flooring the petrol!
Arriving at Orpen, our extra tent at Tamboti was disposed of in reception to two very thankful takers and all our wildcards were taken out after a bit of explaining :huh:
AJ was a bit apprehensive at sleeping alone in a tent in this "wild" camp especially after a baboon visit the afternoon and a honey badger the evening. We got lost on our way to the bathroom and saw plenty of little eyes on our way! :big_eyes:

Now came the waiting: I knew the the time of arrival of the two Bushbabies and OBD did not..... :naughty:

1-6 May '13

Unread postPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:40 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

We had a quick cup of coffee. Itching to get going I started packing the other car… I was in quite a hurry as I knew we had to be in Olifants by 12. Looking back now I must have known what was still to come.
We saw some zebra, giraffe, kudu, impala, wildebeest on the way back to the tar road. We came across two cars telling us that we just missed some wild dog that was on the hunt and then ran into some hyena… :wall: :wall: Maybe we should have had the coffee as take aways!! :doh: Ah well… Some you win some you lose…

Just before the S106 turn off there is a turn off to a waterhole (I think the name is N’wamatsatsa) and I turned off there. I still joked with BB75 that we had to make a mental note to put this on the “not to do again” list as there was no water at all… Just to prove me wrong a wild dog came running out from nowhere! :dance: :dance: We couldn’t believe our eyes and because he disappeared again so quickly we actually thought we were dreaming but then another came running out between our cars jut to vanish again… WOW! The car behind BD’s car only saw the second one and the next car saw nothing.

We carried on and took the S39 towards Timbavati. This family of baboons were having a family meeting… Maybe the dad gave them an obedience lecture… :whistle:

Then the first of our roadblocks… Nothing to do with the alcohol ban though He eventually moved a bit off the road for us to pass and for me to take a pic.

My eye caught these two having a bit of a scuffle…

Our next ellie encounter was a little to close for comfort. He was hiding behind a tree right next to the road and you could only see him once you are half up a dip. :shock: I had a fright when I saw him and visa versa then he had an even bigger fright for BD’s car. By then he was a bit ticked off and had a go at the car behind. Well, I was awake again by this time!! :big_eyes:

We had a quick but very necessary stop at Timbavati and really had to push things along otherwise we were going to be late.

This Korhaan was clearly on a mission
My middle name does not start with an M for nothing but good old Murphy still has to learn that it doesn’t belong to him! Even though we would have been on time we had one more roadblock to get through… A breeding herd of ellies, probably 50 of them, were scattered everywhere but mostly in the middle of the road. They clearly didn’t have a lunch appointment to get to and didn’t seem to care about ours at all! After about 20minutes they decided to move off and we could carry on.

On the Olifants river bridge we stopped so that BM and AJ could get into my car as OBD’s leg was acting up a bit and he had to get to camp as soon as he could. I phoned Duke and he told us where their hut was. Anne-marie was already there and Lowveldboy joined a bit later. Sharifa prepared a wonderful lunch for us and we had a great time chatting in between. It was so great to share stories about a place I love with other people with the same love… and being in that place just made it more special! We even had an ellie coming past us on his way down to the river and an “almost leopard” as Anne-marie called it.
Now we can play a game of spot the animal.
I’ll give you some time to see if anybody can see it… :twisted:

All to soon it was time to say our goodbyes as Anne-marie still had to make her way down to Satara and we still had to go up to Letaba. Thanks once again Duke and Sharifa for a wonderful lunch and afternoon…
The way up to Letaba was a little uneventful. We quickly finalised our half of the booking in part and then we made our way to our allocated safari tents. We had more than enough to eat for lunch so poor OBD ended up having hotdogs for supper that evening.
This Kurrichane thrush popped in with the rest of the locals to come and welcome us back.
We were in bed early as I was extremely tired and we had to be at reception at 5am for the “Sunrise/Son rise” service…

Unread postPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 3:10 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

OH Wild Dogs :dance: WOW, what a special sighting. Lovely pics Bushbaby30 :clap: :clap: :clap: Well, in the pic I see a T-Rex and maybe a leopard in the tree?

Hope you Dad was okay later and didn't have to much pain. :pray: :popcorn:

Kamadejo returns to KNP after 7 years
Balm for the Soul

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next